• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

Jarate

Banned
Just started comp on ps4

Started 5-0 with 5 rolls, then the 6th game it put my and my 2 friends against all ranked high 60's and we had no one ranked except for a guy who played useless bastion

We lost rip perfect record

Ducktail

I get it people are frustrated, but eventually this quitters will be banned and the ranking system will be more precise, making things better.

It's the beginning of a season on a new game- I think people are being overly dramatic.

TaterTots

Banned
1. People should be able to join games in progress as long is it's not too far along.

2. Randoms should play against other randoms. It's not fun playing against groups.

3. Why do I barely get any XP for winning, but lose a ton if we don't win? Seems unbalanced.

Any reason why most people are complaining? I'm not expecting to be in the top 10% and by playing competitive I get XP and points to buy gold guns.

Seems like a win win, no need for quick play.

Not saying don't complain but from my POV, on console, it seems decent. It isn't MLG competitive implementation but I can hop on and play some games and hop off.

Any reason why most people are complaining? I'm not expecting to be in the top 10% and by playing competitive I get XP and points to buy gold guns.

Seems like a win win, no need for quick play.

Not saying don't complain but from my POV, on console, it seems decent. It isn't MLG competitive implementation but I can hop on and play some games and hop off.

If the game puts you at an undeserved high rank after your placement rounds, you don't get points because you're losing two-thirds of your games, and the only way you get points is through wins (which you're not getting) and a bulk prize based on your final rank (which keeps dropping because you're losing). It also just feels bad. I'd much rather be told I was awful at the beginning and move my way up the ranks than the opposite.

Also, people keep leaving games constantly and at that point you basically have to take the loss unless you beast mode your way into a win, which is highly unlikely since most people leave because their team starts losing. It's not good for the winners either because the game takes into account the fact that the opposing team is down people and cuts your rank gain to compensate.

1. People should be able to join games in progress as long is it's not too far along.

2. Randoms should play against other randoms. It's not fun playing against groups.

3. Why do I barely get any XP for winning, but lose a ton if we don't win? Seems unbalanced.

#3 is the worst. With almost exactly a 50% win rate I've lost 7 ranks since I placed. How does that make sense?

Blizzard spent too much time copying TF2 and not enough time copying Dota 2. Seems like a bunch of problems Valve solved years ago.

komaruR

Feels like ppl interpreting the value given from competitive play as a match making rank. Didnt the dev video said those are a skill rating? It should be base on your performance and contribution. Even if you lose but did well, it shouldn't negatively effect it that much unless u got shutdown poorly to perform well.
I believe everyone's starting skill rating is 50 and depending on your performance on the placement matches it goes up or down from 50.
it's pretty much the benchmark of your personal skill growth. If you want to increase it, just think of what you can improve more during your matches. I find recording your own gameplay and reviewing it afterward can at least give yourself an idea what areas you need to work in or how you can contribute to the team. I use plays.tv or shadowplay.
this stats site may help you get an idea how your stats are growing + see how the higher rank/ pro fare in the skill rating.
https://www.overbuff.com/rankings

As for the MMR match making rating, i dont think that is shown. The game just gonna pit u against teams that keep things competitive and not land slide. And thats show be what the placement matches are doing. So if you are winning a lot, of course the game will pit you with a stronger team to evaluate if you can win them or not.

abundant

I posted this in the OT, but if you can, always play Competitive Mode with a full group. It eliminates most of the BS solo players are experiencing.

Dmax3901

So me and one of my friends played three matches tonight. Got absolutely steamrolled in all three. Our team seemed really bad, and I'm not being mean.

I've played since the open beta and have never been steamrolled, or steamrolled another team as much as this.

Needs work but I have no idea what exactly.

Make it an option to be checked on and off and I am fine with it to improve que times. Fuck joining a game already in progress at any stage if it already went past character selection.

Gurrry

Feels like ppl interpreting the value given from competitive play as a match making rank. Didnt the dev video said those are a skill rating? It should be base on your performance and contribution. Even if you lose but did well, it shouldn't negatively effect it that much unless u got shutdown poorly to perform well.
I believe everyone's starting skill rating is 50 and depending on your performance on the placement matches it goes up or down from 50.
it's pretty much the benchmark of your personal skill growth. If you want to increase it, just think of what you can improve more during your matches. I find recording your own gameplay and reviewing it afterward can at least give yourself an idea what areas you need to work in or how you can contribute to the team. I use plays.tv or shadowplay.
this stats site may help you get an idea how your stats are growing + see how the higher rank/ pro fare in the skill rating.

As for the MMR match making rating, i dont think that is shown. The game just gonna pit u against teams that keep things competitive and not land slide. And thats show be what the placement matches are doing. So if you are winning a lot, of course the game will pit you with a stronger team to evaluate if you can win them or not.

But see, when you lose, I feel like it doesnt matter how well you did, youre going to lose the same amount from your MMR rank as you would if you went 0-24, didnt touch the objective point, and went afk for half the game. I never see a difference when I get all gold medals and lose versus when I win.

I also feel like most winning teams will have a Pharra and a Mercy. Those two characters are so clutch that I feel that we are at a huge disadvantage when someone doesnt pick them. Shit, I love Lucio, but when hes our only support, I never feel safe because Mercy revives are so clutch in Competitive mode that its risky not having it.

Same with Pharra, her ulti can get team wipes so much easier because people actually play the point in this mode. Therefor, the enemy team is usually bunched up together and you just rain justice from above and gg.

Corpekata

Banned
Going back to quick play was pretty jarring, even as someone that solo queues.

Like, instantly, first match, attacking, 5/6 are all damage characters. I go support, ask someone to tank, someone only eventually does after, predictably, the team full of flankers and a healer does not do well in a choke point and gets slaughtered a couple times. You'd think a team full of flankers would do well against turrets once we pushed past the choke point, but apparently not this team.

And I'm not some uberskilled perfectionist (hence the solo queueing) but man that was brutal. Even the worst stomps I've had in competitive were much better.

aeolist

Banned
played against a pharah earlier that i would swear was hacking if i hadn't ever seen pro quake players and seagull's stream

no idea why she was level 55
ggdire.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Placement matches made me feel like a god. I had a 62 elem game with 72% participation with Pharah. Everything after placement matches is pretty much 50/50. Playing with GAF with groups of 6s.

Wubbys

I somehow managed to go 8-2 in placements playing by myself and was ranked a 67. What does 67 mean? Is slightly above average?

matmanx1

I decided to participate in competitive play. It's not super important in the scheme of things but it does sound like fun and will hopefully help me to improve as a player. I did my first placement game earlier and despite being down 0 - 2 on Nepal my team came back to win 3 - 2, which felt really good.

I played a solid game as Reinhardt and ended up on a card at the end with over 33k damage blocked and a Gold medal in objective time. I figure if nothing else I can do my 10 placement matches and get the season 1 goodies and maybe work towards a gun eventually.

So far, so good.

Biltmore

Banned
I somehow managed to go 8-2 in placements playing by myself and was ranked a 67. What does 67 mean? Is slightly above average?

It's not a flat scale so average players are like 48-52. Once you start getting in the mid 50's you are better than 80% of the population and once you creep into the 60's you are basically top 5% or better.

At 67 you're better than 99% of Overwatch competitive players, congratulations! Of course it won't be until you've played 50 or so games before it really puts you where you are supposed to be, placement is just a jumping off point, but if you keep that rank you've done well.

komaruR

people should realise when competitive mode came out, there were no 99. everyone start out at 50 and grows. just yesterday on overbuff.com the pros were just in the 70s and now today its in the 80s.
this means the skill rating are finally spreading out of the 50s and 60s. people who join late/(done their placement match now) gets to match with people that are 50-70s vice back when competitive mode came out where you only match with people that are around 50-60s depending how high the top skill rating was achieved at.

the the 65+ skill rating is not the top 5% anymore. its more like top 25% now??

But see, when you lose, I feel like it doesnt matter how well you did, youre going to lose the same amount from your MMR rank as you would if you went 0-24, didnt touch the objective point, and went afk for half the game. I never see a difference when I get all gold medals and lose versus when I win.

I also feel like most winning teams will have a Pharra and a Mercy. Those two characters are so clutch that I feel that we are at a huge disadvantage when someone doesnt pick them. Shit, I love Lucio, but when hes our only support, I never feel safe because Mercy revives are so clutch in Competitive mode that its risky not having it.

Same with Pharra, her ulti can get team wipes so much easier because people actually play the point in this mode. Therefor, the enemy team is usually bunched up together and you just rain justice from above and gg.

it doesnt matter. theres no point in playing competitive if youre not on a full team. the matchmaking is absolute garbage and your individual performance means jack shit

Biltmore

Banned
people should realise when competitive mode came out, there were no 99. everyone start out at 50 and grows. just yesterday on overbuff.com the pros were just in the 70s and now today its in the 80s.
this means the skill rating are finally spreading out of the 50s and 60s. people who join late/(done their placement match now) gets to match with people that are 50-70s vice back when competitive mode came out where you only match with people that are around 50-60s depending how high the top skill rating was achieved at.

the the 65+ skill rating is not the top 5% anymore. its more like top 25% now??

Not true. Go to to MasterOverwatch and look at the curve. 65 is still top 5%. 50 people at rank 75+ won't change that.

Edit: check that, 65 is top 2%.

TaterTots

Banned
I said this in the OT, but really. This 2 and 2 idea is garbage and I've been losing a ton of games because of it. Maybe...MAYBE if you had a Rein, Roadhog, Soldier, Reaper, Lucio, and Mercy, but it's never that way. It's always 2 snipers or something trashy with the 2 and 2. No one wants to take advice. It's just the same old, "well...if you want the 2 and 2 you change." When I'm a fucking tank or healer. Widomaker and Hanzo mains are the worst in this game. 90% of them are complete garbage and do not contribute yet have the balls to say, "why aren't you on the point guys??" I mean....lol.

matmanx1

this thread has confirmed my fear that ranked mode would kill the fun for me

It hasn't for me. 8 ranked games today and I've enjoyed all of them except for the 2 where most of the other team left because we won the first point. When one side doesn't have a full team, it isn't fun for anyone.

Other than that, it has been a good experience.

KoL

Started competitive (PS4) at rank 57. I'm 49 or 50 now, I think. Most of the matches someone on my team leaves. This is frustrating.

Melchior

I feel like I'm seeing a lot of people talking about EXP gains. If you're losing a ton but gaining little that means you're higher than where the game thinks you should be. So it's trying to balance you out by lowering your rank to where your mmr is.

Played a round of competitive and was immediately talked shit to by my own team even though I was the only one contesting the control point while everyone else kept dying trying to get in there and some guy playing bastion not even going for the control point. PC community sucks. I think I'll just stick to PS4.

Why? Are you referencing ps4/xbox1 or PC

What seems to be it's faults? I've been at bbq's since Friday and just set my update to download before I left the house.

pc. matchmaking is random garbage. you get matched up with people who have no idea how to play, people from all over the world etc. this makes winning a complete roll of the dice. this is made worse by the fact that the game doesnt take into account how good you did or how bad your teammates were compared to the enemy team or anything beyond the fact that you lost. and if your teammates quit out on you mid game? oh well you still just lose rank/points

and i agree with the poster above me. the pc community is laughable skill wise. no idea if its better or worse on consoles but its not surprising considering the target audience.

theres also so much time wasted between the random disconnects you get back to the title screen, all the matches stopping the second they start due to someone leaving etc. youll probably spend close to as much time trying to get a game going as you will actually playing.

and wait until you see the sheer brilliance of sudden death /s

Bombless

Here's the professional competitive tier list for anyone looking to prioritize learning the best heroes.

Every time I played Zen with my buddies (3man team with one of them being Rheinhardt) we won. Dude is super fun to play and discorded people explode (and Zen himself deals a ton of damage). It's a shame that his ridiculously low hp and complete lack of mobility/defensive skill removes him from most teams.

Trace

Banned
It's too bad the nerfs destroyed absolutely everything McCree was good at. He's not even that good at killing squishy targets anymore.

Biltmore

Banned
People who are still complaining about being grouped with horrible players in ranked might wanna start getting used to the fact that they aren't as good as they think they are.

exfatal

BS got dc'd cause of blizzard servers came back withen he minute, won the match and still counted it as a lost fuck... waste of time

TaterTots

Banned
Every time I played Zen with my buddies (3man team with one of them being Rheinhardt) we won. Dude is super fun to play and discorded people explode (and Zen himself deals a ton of damage). It's a shame that his ridiculously low hp and complete lack of mobility/defensive skill removes him from most teams.

The competitive mode hasn't been out a full week I think. Things will definitely change. I for one, can't wait until the 2 and 2 gets exposed how pubs do it. It's like lesser players are playing on "pro" streams. It's ridiculous.

>:)

It's too bad the nerfs destroyed absolutely everything McCree was good at. He's not even that good at killing squishy targets anymore.

A LOT of people underestimate him now, but I swear it's easier to get headshots with him than Hanzo.

People who are still complaining about being grouped with horrible players in ranked might wanna start getting used to the fact that they aren't as good as they think they are.

I'll be honest when I got hit with my 38 ranking in competitive ranked it humbled the crap out of me. It made me reevaluate my performance in my previous other games and what I should focus on to get better.

I've got 12 hours played and I'm only at lvl 21 so I can't play competitive. Honestly that's pretty annoying.
Soon you'll be there. It's a good precaution from stopping someone that just picked up the game from jumping directly into it and pulling the team down.

I play solo and ended up doing 6-4 in placement matches. The ones I won were close, but damn my team's sucked in the losing matches. On the first ranked match, ended up getting invited to play with a group after we rolled on a team. We ended up steam rolling about 8 games in a row, without any verbal communication...but then I had to log off.

Damn this game is fun in a group.

Izayoi

Banned
Interestingly enough, it seems that the quality of all players, even those in Quick Play, has generally gone up since the update. The player base feels more educated as a whole...

...Or maybe it's just me?

Top Bottom