• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Lore Thread || Cannon or Canon?

Kalentan

So what's the deal with the missing limbs? Omnic crisis war injuries, or the explosion?

Which characters are you referring to?

Also when you say, explosion, do you mean the destruction of the Overwatch facility Reyes and Morrison were in? If so I don't think either lost any limbs.

TheYanger

I think categorizing the heroes as "Heroes" and "Villains" is a bit oversimplifying?

Nah, it's a comic book universe. It's fine. I mean almost no villain or hero is one note enough not to have some grey, but this is a good divide of their primary alliegances.

Symmetra and Hanzo both fall in the villain camp but they also both seem pretty likely to fall to the side of good pretty soon. Symmetra actually seems to mean well for people.and Hanzo is just a depressed dude

TokiDoki

"With every death comes honor , with honor , redemption" .

So yeah Hanzo pretty much neutral and my favourite line as well .

Blues1990

She won't even address Zenyatta by name she calls him 'Omnic'

I don't really look at old people that are ignorant and say 'well who can blame them!' Zarya is like 5 minutes from talking about building a wall.

War can do a lot to a person and change their preception, especially for innocent civillians that are caught in the crossfire. In the case for Zarya, she was a child during the first omnic crisis (her home was on the frontlines) and was surrounded by post-war destruction by the conflict. Being a small kid, she wanted to gain the strength to protect those who are otherwise incapable of doing so.

My grandfather had told me some horrible stories when he was enlisted in the British Infantry during the African campaign in World War II, and how people were twisted inside out from the conflict.

kami_sama

War can do a lot to a person and change their preception, especially for innocent civillians that are caught in the crossfire. In the case for Zarya, she was a child during the first omnic crisis (her home was on the frontlines) and was surrounded by post-war destruction by the conflict. Being a small kid, she wanted to gain the strength to protect those who are otherwise incapable of doing so.

My grandfather had told me some horrible stories when he was enlisted in the British Infantry during the African campaign in World War II, and how people were twisted inside out from the conflict.

Roadhog and Junkrat are the same. They got caught up in the Ohmnium explosion in outback Australia.
I think the one's that are outright hostile against Ohmnics are Junkrat, Roadhog, Torbjorn and Zarya.

duckroll

After getting into Overwatch and reading the backstory and character stories, I've come to see what Blizzard did with Overwatch as something really clever. The Overwatch we have as it is, with 21 (now 22) playable characters, and decades of backstory, is essentially something like King of Fighters XIII or Street Fighter IV, except it happens to be the first game.

Looking at the history they're wrote up for the game, we can easily see the framework for concepts of "Overwatch 1" for example, which could have been a shooter made in the early 00s, with a simple story campaign about a special ops team, and multiplayer with 5 character classes. Then there's "Overwatch 2" which would be after the first Omnic Crisis, and instead of just fighting robot enemies you have wider global issues to deal with, and with the "expansion" of Overwatch there's the excuse of adding a bunch of new characters and factions.

Finally, with Reaper's betrayal and the destruction of Overwatch, we get to the third major period where new heroes and villains rise from the ashes and answer the call in an uncertain future. That's where we are now. Pretty cool imo!

maouvin

GJ OP. I approve this thread. Highly recommend linking this reddit post somewhere: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4feyw0/character_interaction_master_post/
It gathers all the in-game chatter between characters, which expands on lore too.

And again, no shipping talk here pls, unless it's stated on the official website and such.

Honestly, Hanzo deserves to be a Villain for being such a shit to Genji.

But with every death comes honor.
And with honor, redemption.

Kalentan

Outside me getting around to adding links to all the characters, anything else you guys think I should add to the main post?

Edit: Just for fun, this is what the original: "Heroes" section was going to look like before I realize... Maybe they're just too big... like... waaaaaaaaaaay too big.

8mVb.png

I am still not convinced about Hanzo as villain, even if he is an assassin, I mean he was an assassin mafioso guy but, didn't he correct his ways looking for redemption a long time ago?

Zekes!

Man, all this lore just makes me wish there was a single player mode :(

BLIZZARD PLEASE

I'm all for extra content but I'm not sure how a single player Overwatch campaign would work

edit: I'm also surprised nobody has called for Mei to be placed in the villain section

Azzanadra

I'm all for extra content but I'm not sure how a single player Overwatch campaign would work

I was thinking something like Diablo (4 player co-op) divided into a few acts (say 4) in which each act would be like a Starcraft 1 campaign (different set of characters to play from, not all 22 at the same time) with the CGI cinematics telling most of the story in-between.

Also, the enemies wouldn't be other heroes all the time, it could just be new soldier/ominics created by Blizz.

There is simply no way in its current form, extra characters and gameplay mechanics would have to be created, otherwise it might as well be a Musou game with tons of canon fodder until you face a main character as a Boss for a cinematic after that to move the story forward.

A full-length animated movie like the shorts they have been releasing would be even better than any single player game they can come up with.

Grisby

Man, all this lore just makes me wish there was a single player mode :(

BLIZZARD PLEASE
I just want some tyoe of other game in this universe that could allow for a story mode. Like a TPS or something. Sadly, with it being Blizzard, I doubt we're likely to get that.
edit: I'm also surprised nobody has called for Mei to be placed in the villain section
You got something against trying to save the planet bro? Her ice tech cools haters and global warming.

Thanks for posting who are heroes and villains, every time I asked in the ot I'd get ignored.

Definitely interested in learning more about this world.

Not really, villains have goals and shit. Mei is just cancer.

She could be in her own category.

The cancer category.

You got something against trying to save the planet bro? Her ice tech cools haters and global warming.

Creating ice requires a net increase in heat entropy, bro. She's destroying the universeeeee

Sawneeks

Banned
Up with Omnics, down with Overwatch.

GJ OP. I approve this thread. Highly recommend linking this reddit post somewhere: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4feyw0/character_interaction_master_post/
It gathers all the in-game chatter between characters, which expands on lore too.

Do you know if anyone has catalogued Ana's interactions yet? Haven't been able to try her out but I really want to know what she says. o:

EDIT: Actually, I found a small list someone is putting together. Ana interactions can be found here.

Kalentan

Up with Omnics, down with

EDIT: Actually, I found a small list someone is putting together. Ana interactions can be found here.

I really like her interactions, these ones in specific:

Ana+Reaper:
Reaper: Guess you're going back on my list, Ana.
Ana: What happened to you, Gabriel?

Reaper: I shouldn't be surprised you took his side.
Ana: You never gave me much choice.

Ana+Soldier:76:
Ana: For a man of your years, you're looking pretty good, Jack!
S:76: Well, all that stuff they pumped into me has to be good for something.

S:76: Ana, we all thought you were dead. Why didn't you tell me?
Ana: You of all people are going to ask me that?

Ana: Seems like neither of us like being dead very much.
S:76: Old soldiers are hard to kill.

Obviously when Reaper said took his side. No doubt she means Morrison.

I also like how Ana and Morrison were both soldiers presumed dead and then came back as vigilantes.

Interesting that she actually has more dialogue (and substantial at that) with Soldier than even Pharah.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think Hanzo is meant to be a villain unless we consider characters like Marvel's Hawkeye to be villains.

Sawneeks

Banned
I really like her interactions, these ones in specific:

Obviously when Reaper said took his side. No doubt she means Morrison.

I also like how Ana and Morrison were both soldiers presumed dead and then came back as vigilantes.

Interesting that she actually has more dialogue (and substantial at that) with Soldier than even Pharah.

Considering that Ana was Morrison's Right Hand in Overwatch it makes sense that they would be close. Although her lack of substantial dialogue with Pharah is a little disappointing, especially since Pharah sounded like she resented her mother for quite a while. They just sound so professional for an apparent mother/daughter reunion.

Ana and Widowmaker's interactions are great though:

Ana+Widowmaker:
Ana: Gerard was a fool to love someone like you.
Widowmaker: You don't know anything about him.

Widowmaker: You were once a legend, but what are you now? Just a shell of a woman.
Ana: I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

That first one was ice cold.

EDIT:

I don't think Hanzo is meant to be a villain unless we consider characters like Marvel's Hawkeye to be villains.

Hanzo is a lot more gray than some of the others but he fits more in a Villain category than he does a Hero one. I mean, the guy attempted to murder his younger brother in order to head a large Crime Organization and his current occupation is 'Assassin'.

Moonkid

We need some New Zealand heroes lol, or Pacific Islanders. Maybe an evil female Polar Bear 🤔
"With every death comes honor , with honor , redemption" .

So yeah Hanzo pretty much neutral and my favourite line as well .
Funny you say that because it was the first line I heard from Hanzo and I couldn't believe it, it's just so cliché in the worst way possible.

Sawneeks

Banned
Symmetra is a villain? Why?

She works for Vishkar which is a generic giant evil corporation. They most notably gained contracts to work in Rio de Janeiro and promised to improve the lives of those who lived there only to impose strict curfews, exploited the populace as cheap labor, and arrested those they pleased. This is actually where Lucio first started as a Hero because he stole Vishkar sonic technology in order to help his community break free from this corporation.

I recommend reading Symmetra's short comic for more info. She herself isn't evil but she is evil by association with the company she works for.

Dennis

Banned
How can you have meaningful lore in a multiplayer arena shooter?

Random people running around shooting each other over and over again with no lore consequences.

We need a Single Player Campaign - The Lore Gold Standard.

So does every legendary skin have relevance, or just a few? Like you get young characters that obviously fit right in with the lore. But should I also assume that Roadhog was once a sailor/shark hunter who got shipwrecked on an island and became a native? Or is that just:
"Here's a cool idea for a skin"?

Kalentan

So does every legendary skin have relevance, or just a few? Like you get young characters that obviously fit right in with the lore. But should I also assume that Roadhog was once a sailor/shark hunter who got shipwrecked on an island and became a native? Or is that just:
"Here's a cool idea for a skin"?

I think the only "canon" skins are the Origin skins, any characters younger skins (green haired Genji is what he canonically looked like.)

And that is it I think. All the rest are just "rule of cool."

Outside me getting around to adding links to all the characters, anything else you guys think I should add to the main post?

Edit: Just for fun, this is what the original: "Heroes" section was going to look like before I realize... Maybe they're just too big... like... waaaaaaaaaaay too big.

8mVb.png

Add in some names of people we half know about like Laoi and doomfist.

Genryu

Banned
Torbjörn: Ana?! They all thought you were dead.
Ana: Well, I had to come back. I was worried you'd get bored not being able to stick your nose in my business.

eyebrows.gif

Mei should definitely be a villain, she is the face of death.

duckroll

Isn't he an assassin for hire who still harbors dreams of rebuilding his family's yakuza empire? He rejects Genji's offer to join in helping the world.

Ferrio

Banned
Isn't he an assassin for hire who still harbors dreams of rebuilding his family's yakuza empire? He rejects Genji's offer to join in helping the world.

He also rejects Widowmaker even though it'd be an easy out to restore his empire.

Widowmaker: Talon could restore your family's empire.
Hanzo: But at what cost.

My take is that he isn't bad, he just doesn't think he's earned redemption.

Genryu

Banned

Just because a man killed his brother and wants to rebuild his humble crime family doesn't make him a bad guy. Also, Genji hides his face behind a mask, he's probably not really a good guy, he's just a menace!

Top Bottom