• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch not having a single player campaign is such a missed & wasted opportunity.

Fbh

As someone who vastly preffer Single player or Co-op games over competitive shooters I agree.

But still, it's fine they focused on making the best multiplayer game possible. Plus I'm not really a fan of Blizzard storytelling so mabye the fact they are just characters and there isn't really a big story is for the best

Dreavus

I think there's potential in there for something else SP-focused down the line.

Individual character tutorials helping to adapt to some of the finer mechanics of the combat AND introduce the characters further into the overarching lore and mythology is a serious missed opportunity. A full campaign isn't entirely necessary.

This would be great. I'd like to imagine ones similar to Warframe's new-ish tutorial; a somewhat scripted story event (with VA and all that) showing off the mechanics for a character while also having some background "lore" in there.

I think I could really really enjoy an Overwatch SP, but no, I think the game is great as it is.

Not every game needs to be everything to everyone.

sflufan

Banned
Does it all need to be dark and self-serious?

Sometimes a somewhat cheesy narrative can be fun. Those shorts are a ton of fun.

No, they certainly don't have to be "dark" and "self-serious" - they just have to be clever and engaging.

Compare these shorts to the ones for Team Fortress 2. It's night and day between the two of them - kinda like Blizzard's Dreamworks to Valve's Pixar (back when Pixar was actually good).

Yeah I think a SP would be amazing with Blizzard's cut scenes and tech. For some reason people need SP for Battlefield games when not one has been ever good but an Overwatch SP would have potential to be really good. I just don't see $60 in Overwatch for me despite "Blizzard polish" and "more maps and heroes are coming".

As a side note, I'm hugely in favor of us having 30 threads about all future singleplayer only games and how they're really not worth $60 and feel like incomplete products.

Voting with the wallet is great but feedback and noise has got to be made somehow. If it's happening as much as you claim it to be, then maybe it's the warranted reaction.

The shorts contain the same degree of eye-rollingly cheesy narrative presentation as Starcraft II/Diablo III themselves ;)

Hah yeah, they're not apex of cinema but I thought they were cute and really fun.

The animated shorts blizzard put out really show that they could have built a single player mode with a really interesting story that spanned the cast, world , and lore they created

I disagree, I think that this is the limit to Blizzard creativity. The writing in their other games lately has been pretty underwhelming. Go read a summary of the SC2 single player story. SC2 Wings of Liberty was "ok". Then HotS went to "I guess thats ok". Then finally LotV ended at "what the fuck is this".

keep an eye on future Blizzcon announcements :)

I'm attending this year's Blizzcon in hopes of Diablo 4, Warcraft 4, or Wacraft 3 and WC3:FT remasters(or remakes). I know that two of thing I listed probably won't happen, but I really just hope that this year's Blizzcon isn't solely focused on Overwatch :/

Having a single player campaign would just end up being bot matches with a little bit of window dressing for context honestly. I'd rather just stick to the shorts, comics, and everything else they put out down the line tbh. If this had a lacking single player campaign the game suffers overall for it.
For example, Doom has a stellar campaign and a pretty whatever multiplayer and instead of just hearing about the amazing campaign you also have to now mention the meh multiplayer.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I agree OP.

I have seen most of the Overwatch merchandise put out so far, and have played the game a decent amount, and everytime, i always come back to the fact that they put out all these amazing CGI shorts that are Disney quality with all these super inventive and unique characters full of charm and witt and a decent set up backstory, only to plop them down into a multiplayer arena to endlessly shoot at each other and rack up meaningless numbers, with the only lore in small doses outside of the game.

This game would have SLAYED even more so with a single player campaign atleast...i know people in Japan have been asking for an actual movie made out of Overwatch since the first cinematic trailer came out, they keep looking at it like Big hero Six meets Boku No Hero Academia.

Blizzard has the resources to make a fully featured game, they aren't some studio that's begging for cash either.

Its the same problem i have with games like Destiny and Titanfall, although i atleast understand Titanfall devs didn't have much money at the time.

Koyuga

I would play it if it had a single player story driven campaign, I like the characters. What's even the point of making good characters and writing lore for a multiplayer game? It's so weird.

RPGCrazied

And not having a mode to be everyone for himself. I hate team games and will never play them. Like StarCraft II, I play it for the story and leave the rest out.

Zalman

Does it need single-player? No, of course not. But I would definitely be more enthusiastic about the game if it had it. And I would've bought it already.

dc3k

It would be a giant waste of time for me, I wouldn't touch it once. Overwatch is all about the multiplayer baby.

Exactly my thoughts.

I think you're going to have similar complaints either way:
MP only --> They should have had a SP campaign!
SP only --> They should have added MP!

I would rather them do one thing really well than do two things poorly, or have a great SP campaign and fucked up MP. Look at GTA V or DOOM. The SP is amazing, the MP is a dumpster fire.

Kent

It doesn't to some huge, sprawling campaign. Honestly, I'd like see like two or three missions really emphasize using your character's unique abilities, kind of like a tutorial, and culminating in one big mission where you put it all to use.

I realize that's a lot of missions once you consider 21 characters, but a lot of the cast has some pretty high potential for really awesome gameplay scenarios designed around them. I'd love to have some wallriding-centric levels for Lucio.

Ferrio

Banned
What's even the point of making good characters and writing lore for a multiplayer game? It's so weird.

Look at the fan art, and reaction to the characters, that's the point. Compare it to an FPS with random dude bro #92, there's a big difference in how people are treating the games.

They discussed in a recent Q&A that, if any narrative content would be released, it would be as a cooperative game type.

That would make more sense than single player.

Sounds good to me. But honestly...I'd be in to play a SP/Co-Op campaign only if it were accompanied by more of those animated shorts. SP for the sake of shooting NPCs doesn't interest me in the slightest. Progression of the background story behind Overwatch does, however.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Campaigns in these games don't have to be one and done. Blizzard has been experimenting with replayable co-op recently, in Starcraft II.

The nature of Overwatch would lend itself to campaign missions with scoring and mutators, that played entirely differently depending on what combination of heroes a party of players brought in. There could also be attrition modes, where every hero was a single "life" and upon death each party member much tag in a remaining hero from the Overwatch transport ship.

Starcraft 2's single player is really really clever mechanically. I don't think for one second that blizzard couldn't make a single player with overwatch's characters.

Neoxon

Blizzard made the right call. Their focus on rock-solid gameplay & a fun cast of characters definitely paid off.

What's even the point of making good characters and writing lore for a multiplayer game? It's so weird.

Let me tell you about League, DoTA and TF2.

Overwatch has cool looking, aesthetically pleasing characters. That's all it needs to get a fanbase going, and it did.

The idea that this game, more polished than probably anything released this entire Gen, is somehow incomplete and is only worth $30 (pushing it by the OPs words) is laughable. How can a game that was 100% clear about its vision from the start, where the mechanical polish and depth are quite clearly a display be incomplete and not worth full price. I dont understand and I may never understand it. I understand wanting a campaign, but to question a package that never laid its cards down for single player isn't logical. Doom didn't even need its multiplayer. That game was better of with a focused SP and MP only hindered it. Overwatch could flip that if it had a single player.

Mechazawa

It's really tiring having to hear people complain about the lack of single player being crammed into a game that was tuned first and foremost for multiplayer.

People sure weren't loving all the generic multiplayer modes being shoved into SP campaigns last gen, so the hypocrisy is getting tiring.

I think people are just amazed that they've clearly put a ton of time into making the characters into actual characters, but they don't have a story mode to really put that to use. It's not really like with Titanfall or Evolve where you're just running around as some rather generic characters.

All hero based MP games handle their characters this way. You don't play as amorphous blobs in any MOBAs or TF2. Even Evolve had distinct characterization for all their player characters.

It's the new norm.

Interfectum

So they should have just made generic soldiers... or hell not even soldiers, just big blocks you control?

The characters and videos provide context. It's fun. Video games.

kobu

It's a multiplayer game so deal with it and move on. Blizzard most likely didn't want a single player campaign and making one just because would have been a waste of time and resources when the game is going to sell well anyway.

I agree OP.

I have seen most of the Overwatch merchandise put out so far, and have played the game a decent amount, and everytime, i always come back to the fact that they put out all these amazing CGI shorts that are Disney quality with all these super inventive and unique characters full of charm and witt and a decent set up backstory, only to plop them down into a multiplayer arena to endlessly shoot at each other and rack up meaningless numbers, with the only lore in small doses outside of the game.

This game would have SLAYED even more so with a single player campaign atleast...i know people in Japan have been asking for an actual movie made out of Overwatch since the first cinematic trailer came out, they keep looking at it like Big hero Six meets Boku No Hero Academia
Disney quality? Blizzard wishes it was even in the same ballpark as Disney with overwatch. The last thing this game needs is single player.

Sooo many threads full of salt for no SP campaign, the bitter tears are delicious.

oti

Banned
You've got an amazing set of characters, an intriguing setting and one of the most colourful games we've seen in a while and "all it is" is a multiplayer game with a diehard fan art community.

I don't know if it needs a single player mode though. Maybe a comic series or something.

by the way Quake 3 was 1999. trying to think of a forum where someone would have posted this exact same bad thread. vnboards?

fuck I'm old.

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah, it makes me really interested in the game, but I don't play multiplayer games. Mission accomplished?

Congrats? No developer should strive to make a game for everyone, sorry you don't like multiplayer but that's your problem not theirs.

Not anymore cringe-worthy than your average Marvel movie.

Overwatch almost literally is the Marvel movie of videogames though, except the colourful characters, hero thematic, and adolescent morality work to support a primary experience that extends beyond them, instead of being self serving, which definitely helps to alleviate the corny feeling of the text.

I'd be fine if it weren't $60 on consoles. That's my only gripe. What is there is so solid, but I'm a cheap gamer so it is hard for me to justify $60 for something I've already enjoyed for weeks with the beta.

I need a good PC

With how popular Battlefront was and how well Overwatch will do, I bet the developers feels pretty content going all in on MP. It can be added in later if they want to.

MiguelItUp

I think it's hard to not want a campaign due to how awesome, enjoyable, and lovable the characters are. I don't think it's something that's required, but I'm not surprised that people want more. I'm wondering how they plan on treating it in the future, I'm eager to see how that all pans out.

Hmmm....well....yea. I'd play it if had single player....however. Still seems like a great game with alot of heart! Maybe a sequel can have single player :p

Zaptruder

Banned
Don't know if the game needs a full blown SP campaign...

but a good way of providing players with SP based gameplay would've been to exploit the bot matches - but design them with specific character combinations, ability locks, etc. Then add some short stories to flesh out the characters. Cohesive narrative not actually required - rather thread them together with an intro setting the scene (which to be fair, already exists, but perhaps fleshed out with a little more detail).

Kinda like fighting game style story presentation. Not a big expensive thing - but a nicety to help acclimatize players to the game, and pretty much optional for players to engage in.

oroboros

I got a really fun multiplayer game for $40, so can't complain too much. I'll for sure get my money's worth over the life of Overwatch especially since all new heroes and maps are free. Single player story might be cool or maybe not. I wish they made a full Pixar style movie even more.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Disney quality? Blizzard wishes it was even in the same ballpark as Disney with overwatch. The last thing this game needs is single player.

Sooo many threads full of salt for no SP campaign, the bitter tears are delicious.

Uh, i'm not sure what your point is besides laughing at people who want a single player campaign or some narrative focus?

Yeah, how dare those people have a hankering for content that appeals to them i suppose. And yeah, i'd call Overwatch's general presentation Disney level quality, or atleast Dreamwoks, i'm not exactly sure what you think elevates modern Disney films outside of the brand and the fact that films are their forte

george_us

Blizzard made the right call. Their focus on rock-solid gameplay & a fun cast of characters definitely paid off.
As someone who normally favors SP over MP, I agree 100%. Blizz focusing on an immensely polished MP experienced was absolutely the right move judging by the overwhelmingly positive word of mouth this game has been getting. As someone rarely enjoys competitive MP games, this is some of the most fun I've ever had. All I really want now is more maps and heroes.

I would play it if it had a single player story driven campaign, I like the characters. What's even the point of making good characters and writing lore for a multiplayer game? It's so weird.

Characters, themes, and historicity enrich all kinds of experiences, not just single player ones.

Overwatch so good peeps don't even know how to process the genius.

Holy shit did i just get bottom page'd twice in a row.

Top Bottom