• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch ranked competitive matchmaking is the most one sided atrocity EVER.

MikeBison

I usually play with 2-3 other people on PS4 diamond rank, always hover close to Master and lately I've gotten LOADS of people doing their placement matches on my team. Usually play something inappropriate for the map/opposition like junkrat (he's never appropriate in any situation ever, seriously wish I could delete him from my copy of the game) and get sweet fuck all done.

I main Zarya but flex a soldier or zen or another healer if need be, but it's really disheartening when you're constantly coming against 6 stacks as a 2-4 man/woman. Guess it happens as the player count falls a bit on console, but sucks nonetheless.

Plenty of accounts like neverswitchhanzo too. Which will play attack Torb and not put a turret down or repeatedly throw themselves off the edge of the map.

Anteo

Yeah ive had matches with 3 diamons vs me and a bunch of gold. I was close to getting to diamond but not anymore! Sigh

I've stopped playing Competitive, there are so many ways to lose other than skill and only one way to win.
Disconnects, bugs, trolls, leavers, afkers, etc.
Bolded are all your own fault for playing comp without a 6 stack.

No sympathy for anyone complaining about teammates when there is so many ways to find people to play with

Even a bad Hanzo bot would be better than nobody tho, no?

Not saying this are easy solutions, but the results of somebody leaving could and should be somewhat mitigated.

Not in Overwatch. I'd rather the space remain than fill it with a useless bot who feeds the enemy teams ultimate meter.

CuNi

I think the biggest issue right now in ranked is, that even though they fixed it how MMR is distributed and SR gains were adjusted, you still get place depending on last season. I was placed in plat for whatever reason when I was high Diamond before and, felt a bit bad for my enemies, but I just stomped them all the way up to diamond. It honestly didnt feel fair since I made the enemies which werent even close to me lose SR and dragged players which werent that good either upwards towards diamond. That's the real issue here, that good players that get ranked way to low drag "bad" players with them into higher ranks, which they then start to drop out, draggin their team down with them. I had so many games where people somehow barely got into diamond, but once matched against diamonds were so horrible, they propably were the single reason their teams lost.

antitrop

No sympathy for anyone complaining about teammates when there is so many ways to find people to play with
The system actively punishes 6-stacking by placing higher ranked opponents on the enemy team (to make up for the supposedly more coordinated large group) and yielding less SR gains than when playing solo/duo.

6-stacking is by far the most difficult way to climb the ladder. It's almost masochistic.

Nabbis

Don't play competitive games that have a ranking system. I don't understand why people use their free time for trash like that and then act all enraged when they know how it works.

The person filling doesn't have the incentive of sr loss if he/she doesn't win. The person wouldn't really care. Wouldn't work.

Whereas the incentive for the filler to be as good as the team if they don't lose anything? Hell they could just come in and troll a team.

The half loss for the team/double for the leaver is the most fair solution, but them they have to take away the sr loss counted against a person that dcs and comes back (like a grace period)

You're asking the wrong questions and only naysaying. The fact is, there's no system in place except an auto loss. I think you will be crushed in a vote if you ask people if they'd rather play 5v6 or have a warm body fill in the slot. Troll or not it's an IMPROVEMENT.

Apathy

Which would still only result in the team they joined loosing a game they would have lost anyway since they were down one player.
I guess you could add more incentive to win ( since you don't want to punish them for a loose ) but not mmr oriented for balance sake, like gold gain for a win.
It's not perfect by any mean, but an improvement is still an improvement.

A person that comes in that knows they don't have anything to lose and actively trolls a team is not better than a 5v6 that you may or may not lose (like 90% chance you'll lose but still a possibility to win).

Cleve

Most players don't like competition, they like to win. I honestly believe that's why most matching making systems are bad. It's a lot of work for very little gain.

Dunning kruger breaks a lot of people's perceptions of match making. They think they should just naturally always be climbing and above a 50% winrate.

I hear this about DotA tall the time. "I'm so much better than my teammates, why do I get stuck wtih them?" when they only notice their teammate's mistakes, and never watch their replays to find their own, or refuse to admit them.

MMR generally works well enough, but it does seem like overwatch focuses a bit more on queue times than it does balanced teams, and that needs to be addressed somehow.

Sai-kun

Banned
The only thing I wish for in comp is a surrender option for when 1 or more people quit out, so people's time doesn't get wasted even more.

Also the best way to queue is with one or two others. Any more than that and you risk running into pro squads

EVO

I got addicted to Overwatch again recently but I rage uninstalled it last night after a string of bad beats. Between the lack of communication, awful hero picks and players leaving it seems impossible to solo climb your way out of bronze/silver. Felt like being challenger elite in Rocket League all over again.

When you're in a team of six that work together there's nothing quite like it. But when you're up against a team like that and yours is doing nothing to counter it, shit is the worst.

ElyrionX

I only solo queue quick play and this is a problem there as well. Most matches are just stompy one-directional affairs. Either my team steamrolls to victory or the other team steamrolls mine. Fair balanced games occur maybe 20% of the time. It's really annoying after a while.

You don't need to "git a gud teem" but it does help in a competitive team based game to play with teammates. They don't need to be your best friends they just have to be people who have mics.

The real issue here is that you should probably understand how the ranking system works before making a thread calling it "one sided." It's very clear that the OP doesn't know shit about how it works and is just salty for having a bad few games.

You realize I'm not the OP right? You can read that alot of the responses in this thread are saying 'GET A TEAM DUH', right?

Having an understanding of the ranking system doesn't really mean he has to accept it. It's just a way for Blizzard and Kaplan to smooth things over by projecting an image of 'transparency'.

OW players are seriously the most defensive group when it comes to someone stating a different view or opinion than their leader Kaplan. It's hilarious.

Saganator

Excuse my ignorance please, just have a question about OW and competitive gaming of late.

Back when I played TFC competitively, we had clans to play with and leagues for match organization. Each league had set times and days for matches, every week you'd get matched up with another clan to play against. Most clans were in multiple leagues so it was normal for a clan to have 3 to 4 1 hour matches a week. It was fun because you were pretty much guaranteed to not have to deal with the normal shit like people leaving mid match, trolls, and cheaters for at least an hour or two a night.

Is there nothing like that in OW? No leagues or tournaments? Where you're assured you're going to get a good match for at least an hour or so?

MayMay

Banned
People keep their rank icons even if they derank out of it, which can create some "diamonds vs golds" scenarios, everyone still has similar SR though so said Diamonds would be golds that just retained the Diamond icon..

That's it, nothing more to it. Nothing is one sided.

benzopil

I got addicted to Overwatch again recently but I rage uninstalled it last night after a string of bad beats. Between the lack of communication, awful hero picks and players leaving it seems impossible to solo climb your way out of bronze/silver. Felt like being challenger elite in Rocket League all over again.

When you're in a team of six that work together there's nothing quite like it. But when you're up against a team like that and yours is doing nothing to counter it, shit is the worst.

I feel like if you play Zarya or duo Zarya/Pharah, you can easily carry teams at this rank. At least that's what I did in season 1 and climbed from low 40s to 70. Zarya was nerfed, and players became smarter, but it isn't that bad.

elyetis

A person that comes in that knows they don't have anything to lose and actively trolls a team is not better than a 5v6 that you may or may not lose (like 90% chance you'll lose but still a possibility to win).
It's not better ( based on your number ), if people who would join a 5v6 to fill the gap end up being a troll 9 times out of 10.
Like I said you only need to give enough incentive to win, if that number is then better than the current win rate of teams where there is a leaver, then it's an improvement worth making.

Trickster

I've been platinum/diamond this season. Got maybe 250 games played in competitive. Biggest SR gap I've had was yesterday with around 150, which was because a 3 stack joined with one of them being a low gold player.

Honestly having a hard time believing this, especially without any kind of proof.

ohkay

I play solo queue most of the time and have never encountered this problem. The times where I've seen pics of this happening was at like GM level, but that's because there's so few people up there that it's hard to make a balanced match

PeterGAF

Banned
You realize I'm not the OP right? You can read that alot of the responses in this thread are saying 'GET A TEAM DUH', right?

Having an understanding of the ranking system doesn't really mean he has to accept it. It's just a way for Blizzard and Kaplan to smooth things over by projecting an image of 'transparency'.

OW players are seriously the most defensive group when it comes to someone stating a different view or opinion than their leader Kaplan. It's hilarious.
"You" as in the general populace. I know you're not the OP. Most certainly not the proper use.

Having a basic understanding of the ranking system is important when writing a post about it claiming that it is "one sided." It isn't necessary to know the ins and outs of the system, but it is important to know that the little diamond logo next to someone's name doesn't mean their current SR is diamond level. That's what the OP believes. Thats why the OP think their games are unbalanced.

Did Jeff Kaplan do something to you or your family?

MikeBison

There isn't always. Finding 5 other people to coordinate a time to play a game that's a year old around their daily lives, also at the same skill level as you or near enough, as well as people you get on with. That shit ain't easy.

Still doesn't account for disconnects which can happen at random, nothing to do with your own internet connection.

Game punishes you terribly for someone on your own team leaving.

What are some of the 'so many ways' to find teammates? Also, how are you going to know how they act or mesh with how you play? How are you to know their temperament or social skills? Coordinating with multiple people that you don't already know is a lot easier said than done.

Telling people to just find 5 people to form a team with is like barely a step above the random matchmaking and gives Blizzard an excuse for how poor their matchmaking is. Finding a team on your own is not a solution and shouldn't be a requirement for a good ranked experience.

Apathy

"You" as in the general populace. I know you're not the OP. Most certainly not the proper use.

Having a basic understanding of the ranking system is important when writing a post about it claiming that it is "one sided." It isn't necessary to know the ins and outs of the system, but it is important to know that the little diamond logo next to someone's name doesn't mean their current SR is diamond level. That's what the OP believes. Thats why the OP think their games are unbalanced.

Popular games being those type of people out in droves. Basically this,

DbD8X.jpg

TheChaos0

It's not like you have any chance in 5 v 6 anyway though.

You say that but I've won a few 5vs6 that seemed hopeless until that one person left and stopped feeding the enemy team's ulti charges.

People in Overwatch Competitive seem to get triggered way too easily, even at the character selection screen. The game starts 5 people pick a DPS and a few seconds later everyone's either a Widow, Hanzo or Torbjorn. People also love to blame everyone but themselves. Stats like eliminations, damage or healing don't really help the player to understand whether they are doing bad or not, they ultimately mean nothing, especially eliminations and damage.

MikeBison

Another thing, I really think that Blizz should reset our mmr at the end of this season.

You're at a disadvantage for the longer you've played because of the bigger pool of games for your mmr to come from, back when we were all terrible at the game.

I can finish a season at the edge of master after having spent all season there, then win 8 placement matches out of 10 and get placed at 2200 (thank you season 4). Climb up to the edge of master and repeat all over.

Whereas surf accounts of people half decent reach grandmaster in days by being just competent.

My zarya deserves to escape the ELO hell of diamond dammit ha!

Something worth noting is that Skill Rating (SR) and Match Making Rating (MMR) are NOT the same thing.

For instance. I placed around 3900SR this season. I've been Top 500 before. I didn't play comp for a few weeks after I placed. So my SR dropped to about 3100.

Despite my SR being 3100, I was stilling being paired with teams closer to 3800-3900SR.

This became apparent because our team average was always lower by about 150 points from me alone. And everyone always had to ask why a Diamond was playing against GMs.

I had to explain to a lot of people that Skill Decay is just throwing off the numbers.

The most mind boggling part is that if someone on your team quits mid match, your entire team suffers a loss, your rank goes down and the enemy team gets an easy win. How is that even fair?

You have any good non-abusable solutions?

I mean there's really no better alternative...

What is a better solution?

In Splatoon, when teammates drop and you lose they decrease the amount of points lost proportional to how inbalanced the teams were

Baleoce

The system actively punishes 6-stacking by placing higher ranked opponents on the enemy team (to make up for the supposedly more coordinated large group) and yielding less SR gains than when playing solo/duo.

6-stacking is by far the most difficult way to climb the ladder. It's almost masochistic.

Yeah I'm also somewhat confused at how many people are recommending 6-stacking as the best way of climbing.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ive been playing the game since last summer and participated in all the seasons. Im doing the worst in the current season. SR dropped down to all time low of 2100.

There seems to be a lot more griefers now for some reason, people who stay in spawn, Symmetras teleporting the team off cliffs, etc. The experience has definitely gotten worse hence why I havent gone back to it in some time.

You have any good non-abusable solutions?
I think it's simple:

1) Someone leaves the game.
2) The game is paused.
3) A replacement player is found.
4) The game resumes.
5) The replacement player may gain SR for winning the match, but not lose SR for losing the match.
6) SR penalties and gains are the same for everyone else.

Everyone is happy.

Shredderi

I only solo queue quick play and this is a problem there as well. Most matches are just stompy one-directional affairs. Either my team steamrolls to victory or the other team steamrolls mine. Fair balanced games occur maybe 20% of the time. It's really annoying after a while.

This. Quickplay is a stompfest as well. Over half the games are stomps. The game seems to put me in the stomping team to raise my winratio in an artificial ways only to see that it went too far (oopsie!) and then rectifies it by putting me in 10 losses-in-a-row-bender. That's what gets me: the consecutive manner of these stomps. It would be more fun to play if it was every other match I get stomp and stomp the enemies. But it puts me in these huge loss streaks and then win streaks.

Bit offtopic: Also, since Genji induces irrational levels of rage inside me, I started to document every match I played to note if there was a genji in the match for most of the match. 87 games in a row where there was not one game without Genji. How about that. Fucker is mad popular.

Baleoce

I think it's simple:

1) Someone leaves the game.
2) The game is paused.
3) A replacement player is found.
4) The game resumes.

5) The replacement player may gain SR for winning the match, but not lose SR for losing the match.
6) SR penalties and gains are the same for everyone else.

Everyone is happy.

I'd agree if: The replacement player spawned in at the same location, on the same character/cooldowns as the DC'd player. That way they earn the SR bonus for adapting to a role, rather than just a random chance of SR bonus for getting into a game midway, and the scenario of the game isn't messed up at all. ie. mid push / team fight. New player should get 30 seconds on voice chat before unpausing to get up to speed on the game.

What are you spewing about?

No, I just have an opinion that Kaplan is a hack and OW is overly protected by Blizzard fanboys any time someone has an outlook on it.

So you say that the little symbol stays the same if the the SR drops? Doesn't that itself mean there's a problem? Because Kaplan wants to protect the precious egos of the majority player base and make them feel great by keeping their stupid icon. People don't attack SR, they attack the icon more.

R0ckman

Dunning kruger is actually a pretty dismissive response at the games problems and narratives like claiming of carrying teams pretty much fall under that same category.

You can not carry in this game. You can be a major factor but your team has to be doing SOMETHING constructive. If your team spends more time on the respawn screen than in the fight thats not good and has a heavy impact on the match no matter how good you think you are.

Even playing Reaper, a self sustaining character and doing your job, your team needs to be on that payload. Had a game where I got almost a 30 kill streak as Reaper and still lost because I had to push the payload and get off and hunt down enemies. Took too much time away.

When you choose a character, you are commiting to a certain task that limits other things you can do effectively. Thats where you need your other team members.

JHall

Another thing, I really think that Blizz should reset our mmr at the end of this season.

You're at a disadvantage for the longer you've played because of the bigger pool of games for your mmr to come from, back when we were all terrible at the game.

I can finish a season at the edge of master after having spent all season there, then win 8 placement matches out of 10 and get placed at 2200 (thank you season 4). Climb up to the edge of master and repeat all over.

Whereas surf accounts of people half decent reach grandmaster in days by being just competent.

My zarya deserves to escape the ELO hell of diamond dammit ha!

ELO hell doesn't exist. If you're good enough you'll climb out.

DarkKyo

I fucking hate OW comp but I can't stop playing. Probably 3 times now I've worked my way up to 2600+ but then I get a whole two weeks of "win 1 game, lose 2" and it sets me back 500 points by the end of it. I'm @ 2130 now and I fucking hate it.

I feel pretty confident I'm an OK player but I just get the worst luck with teams. Duos and trios that insta-lock dps right as you get in are the fucking worst. Personally I play a lot of Reinhardt and Mercy to fill the gaps(plus I enjoy playing them).

IISANDERII

In Counter Strike: Global Offensive, when your teammate bails on you in a competitive match, they are replaced by a bot. Hardly a perfect solution (especially with CS:GOs bot AI), but I would prefer to be given a fighting chance than to be punished for the actions of others.
Why not a real player as the replacement ? The replacement player would be exempt from a possible loss but would still gain the win if the team wins.

I've more or less sworn off competitive and only do quick play and arcade. All the same fun and frustration, with none of the SR going up and down. I'm up to play with PC NA GAF for great justice.

PeterGAF

Banned

No, I just have an opinion that Kaplan is a hack and OW is overly protected by Blizzard fanboys any time someone has an outlook on it.

So you say that the little symbol stays the same if the the SR drops? Doesn't that itself mean there's a problem? Because Kaplan wants to protect the precious egos of the majority player base and make them feel great by keeping their stupid icon. People don't attack SR, they attack the icon more.
But the icon doesn't mean that the teams are unbalanced lol. That's what this thread is about. There's even a team SR number that is shown for each team at the beginning of the match. Apparently you don't know much about how the rating system works either but yet you feel compelled to criticize it.

Im not even some blizzard fanboy. OW is the only blizzard game I have ever put any serious time into. It's just a very well made and popular game. Stop drinking that haterade. The game isn't perfect and the way SR is calculated could probably be better but to call the matchmaking a "one sided atrocity" is a huge exaggeration.

And your obsession with Kaplan is kind of hilarious.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh please OP, the ranking system is fine. You win some, you lose some. In the end you are the only constant across your games and the one who influences your rank the most is you, not your team mates.

There is no way of solving this in a fair way. No game that I know of has succeeded.
And some times you just get shit teammates and there's nothing you can do about it.

Solo queue is fine, don't listen to these people.

Besides, if you queue up with 4 or more people you are more likely to get stomped. 4-6 stacks are almost always super competitive and you'll get matched up against serious players.

Just roll with solo queue and, most importantly, use a mic! Communication is really key. If your team is communicating and the other team isn't, you'll have a huge advantage.

Trickster

Kaplan is a hack, OW fanboys are just overly protective, while also being precious wallflowers who need their shiny icons to protect their fragile egos.

But yeah, it's just them dumb fanboys defensive for no reason.

Gxgear

How about the 6v6 random in arcade we have to sit through every week for the lootboxes? Now that the removed normal 6v6, you can get completely fucked by RNG in that mode.

Top Bottom