• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch ranked competitive matchmaking is the most one sided atrocity EVER.

MikeBison

I don't think the majority of players are trying to be pros.

No but they show the limits of what is possible with the game and generally determine how the meta shakes out. Same goes for fighting game tier lists. That stuff filters down, weren't any where near as many hog players until he was decided to be meta, that filtered down and people realised that hey, I can be good with him too because he is good.

Roubjon

No but they show the limits of what is possible with the game and generally determine how the meta shakes out. Same goes for fighting game tier lists. That stuff filters down, weren't any where near as many hog players until he was decided to be meta, that filtered down and people realised that hey, I can be good with him too because he is good.

For sure, I see what you mean. For me though, I'm playing competitive to both have fun and have matches where people actually care about the game they are playing. If I have a Junkrat or a Symmetra or a Sombra on my team instead of a Soldier or a Pharah or a McCree I don't mind. I usually assume they know what they are doing with that character. Could they have maybe been a Tank instead and won us the match? Yeah, sure. But I also could have not missed my Pulse Bomb and it would have had the same outcome.

Besides, I'm not playing against pros. I'm playing against other High-Diamond players. Once I get into Master / Grand Master, then for sure having a meta team comp becomes more necessary.

benzopil

Pharmercy is extremely common in pro games. But you're right, that's the only times Mercy is used.

It's just that you are not friends with these people and you can't always expect them to do stuff.

When I watch IDDQD he always asks people "shoot the shield", "focus mercy" etc. He's a pro player and can analyze the situation much better than all of them combined.

cHaotix8

Someone mentioned in a reddit thread how closer targets to McCree should be locked on faster, that might make up for his ult's weakness.

I'd be happy if each shot was hit scan and hit immediately. Too often enemies are able to reach cover after I've already fired with the skull locked on.

MikeBison

For sure, I see what you mean. For me though, I'm playing competitive to both have fun and have matches where people actually care about the game they are playing. If I have a Junkrat or a Symmetra or a Sombra on my team instead of a Soldier or a Pharah or a McCree I don't mind. I usually assume they know what they are doing with that character. Could they have maybe been a Tank instead and won us the match? Yeah, sure. But I also could have not missed my Pulse Bomb and it would have had the same outcome.

Yeah for sure, look, for all my bitching, like I said I'm not messaging people being toxic and telling them to switch. But after a certain point where it's not working, a polite message may be needed. If there's a junk rat on my team, or an attack sym, I'll do the best in my role to make it work. But more often than not it doesn't. Same goes for me, I love playing Pharah on attack on kings row and Anubis. Sometimes I just get shut down hard though so it's time to suck it up and change to benefit the team.

Just think there are so many other modes in OW to fuck around. I love to kick back with an attack Torb in quick play as much as the next person, or practice my dreadful Mcree.

a harpy

I keep hearing different info. Plat is ELO hell, Gold is ELO hell, Diamond is ELO hell...

So which one is it? It can't be all of them.

My experience with ELO Hell is when you get ranked so low that you play with people who BM, quit, afk, and just in general don't try or care to win. You get there by being one of those people. It's so hard to get out of because the games aren't real games.

If you're just stuck in a certain SR range, like the cusp of gold/plat/diamond, you just need to get better.

ohkay

My experience with ELO Hell is when you get ranked so low that you play with people who BM, quit, afk, and just in general don't try or care to win. You get there by being one of those people. It's so hard to get out of because the games aren't real games.
This happens in every tier of play

JCX

This happens in every tier of play

At least on my experience on XB1 and PS4, the higher your tier, the less likely you are to have someone quit mid-match or be toxic when losing. XB1 people in particular will harass you.

a harpy

At least on my experience on XB1 and PS4, the higher your tier, the less likely you are to have someone quit mid-match or be toxic when losing. XB1 people in particular will harass you.

This is my experience in pretty much any online competitive game. Higher tiers of play have always come with less BM. It never fully goes away, but there's a significant difference.

At least in OW they try to match teams against teams. In Halo 5 they let teams of 4 match against 4 solo players and it's a damn bloodbath.

m4st4

If you play with randoms, you're doing competitive wrong.

Get a team.

Easy peasy eh.

My favorite thing in OW lately is: one player in my team leaves (probably due to bad connection), other one follows so now we're stuck playing 4v6 for THREE games on point capture, yay. Definitely decided to quit OW for a good while.

It would be better if players could lose their icon when dropping rank, like what happens with masters and above. It's like a small consolation prize that doesn't make any sense.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
OP don't bother with pushing payloads and capturing points, join us in CTF instead.

Matchmaking is always going to be one sided at lower ranks. Low ranked players lack consistency. So if one or two people on your team are having a bad game, you might just get rolled. This issue is compounded by the fact that people don't use comms effectively. I've had games where I'm the only person on comms, but just by generally coordinating the team and calling out relevant information my team has done well.

It's like any other team based game. Blame your teammates, complain online, don't get better, stay in ELO Hell. Rinse and repeat.

As a side note, I've literally never played a game where people refused to get on the payload.

blizzard is highly incompetent

Insightful. Not even just regular incompetent either. Highly incompetent. Weird how successful they have been despite that.

Matchmaking is always going to be one sided at lower ranks. Low ranked players lack consistency. So if one or two people on your team are having a bad game, you might just get rolled. This issue is compounded by the fact that people don't use comms effectively. I've had games where I'm the only person on comms, but just by generally coordinating the team and calling out relevant information my team has done well.

It's like any other team based game. Blame your teammates, complain online, don't get better, stay in ELO Hell. Rinse and repeat.

As a side note, I've literally never played a game where people refused to get on the payload.

Insightful. Not even just regular incompetent either. Highly incompetent. Weird how successful they have been despite that.

they design games for the lowest common denominator of gamer in any given genre these days. of course they are successful. so is candy crush. they match you with platinum/diamond/determining rank players when you are grandmaster. its a joke.

Ellite25

I love this game but it can be crushing sometimes. I started the season out very well, went from gold to play and had like 15 more wins than loses. Then I started losing constantly. Dropped like 400 points and now basicallay sit at even wins and loses. This happens to me every season and I can't pinpoint why exactly. Sometimes people leave. Sometimes you get people that won't pick good comps and you lose before the match even starts. Sometimes I don't play great. Sometimes our team plays well but the other team is just better. It can become so frustrating. I solo most of the time as well which I feel probably doesn't help but also doesn't seem fair. I'd love to have a solo players only queue.

Doesnt Rocket League let you play comp with friends regardless of rank or am i wrong? We need that system in OW.

I wanna say theres a limit to the difference in RL rank you can queue with, but I could be wrong, all the people I play with are within a few ranks of eachother

ELO hell doesn't exist. I have solo qued on Xbox from low Gold to Diamond on two accounts. And then 3-tacked to borderline GM on my Main.

For PC, where I mechanically suck since it's my first PC FPS ever, I started off in the 1500's and have risen by about 350 SR since the start of season going solo. I'm gonna try to reach mid gold/low plat by the end.

Communicate with your team, make call outs, peel correctly to protect your healers, and make sure everyone moves as a unit. You will gain SR.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If you play with randoms, you're doing competitive wrong.

Get a team.

This is not an excuse; not everyone has teams to play with.

I agree, OW's competitive matchmaking is horrendous. Games are total stomps one way or the other, and it makes both winning and losing not fun.

I think what sums it up is people who love OW always say it's the most infuriating game they play. That dichotomy is primarily due to the way matchmaking is handled, IMO.

Which would still only result in the team they joined loosing a game they would have lost anyway since they were down one player.
I guess you could add more incentive to win ( since you don't want to punish them for a loose ) but not mmr oriented for balance sake, like gold gain for a win.
It's not perfect by any mean, but an improvement is still an improvement.

Backfill, but instead have that person gain a smaller amount of SR if your team wins. If you lose , the backfilled player doesn't lose anything. This will allow an even matchup instead of a lop-sided team when one or two people quit.

Yeah I really don't see the problem with this solution. I would honestly choose to backfill sometimes.

I'd also love a solo queue only ranked mode like Rocket League but that's something else.

they design games for the lowest common denominator of gamer in any given genre these days. of course they are successful. so is candy crush. they match you with platinum/diamond/determining rank players when you are grandmaster. its a joke.

Weird that I actually have been Grandmaster and have yet to see this happen barring a few extreme outlier cases usually involving early morning times, countries without servers of their own, and six stacks. And the most recent fixes to matchmaking seem to have stopped even closet cases.

The comparison to Candy Crush is pretty hilarious as well. An over-simplified comparison that simultaneously insults Blizzard games with no real thought put into it while also getting a jab in on those casul gamers. It's strange then that Overwatch has one of the fastest growing esports scenes in contrast to your claims that it simply targets the "lowest common denominator". Designing games that are both accessible and competitive is impressive. Especially in a world where there is so much incentive to simply target the vast majority of players and ignore the competitive scene entirely.

Edit: More on that "lowest common denominator" nonsense, I have yet to see a Minecraft or GTA clone so I don't think there are actively targeting the genre and games that have the most sales and players.

It's the dark souls of multiplayer shooters. I love competitive overwatch

Counter Strike has been out for almost two decades, so I guess not quite.

This is not an excuse; not everyone has teams to play with.

I agree, OW's competitive matchmaking is horrendous. Games are total stomps one way or the other, and it makes both winning and losing not fun.

I think what sums it up is people who love OW always say it's the most infuriating game they play. That dichotomy is primarily due to the way matchmaking is handled, IMO.

Exactly. "Know 5 other people that you want to play Overwatch with" is a ridiculous requirement. This is a work around not a solution.

Weird that I actually have been Grandmaster and have yet to see this happen barring a few extreme outlier cases usually involving early morning times, countries without servers of their own, and six stacks. And the most recent fixes to matchmaking seem to have stopped even closet cases.

The comparison to Candy Crush is pretty hilarious as well. An over-simplified comparison that simultaneously insults Blizzard games with no real thought put into it while also getting a jab in on those casul gamers. It's strange then that Overwatch has one of the fastest growing esports scenes in contrast to your claims that it simply targets the "lowest common denominator". Designing games that are both accessible and competitive is impressive. Especially in a world where there is so much incentive to simply target the vast majority of players and ignore the competitive scene entirely.

Edit: More on that "lowest common denominator" nonsense, I have yet to see a Minecraft or GTA clone so I don't think there are actively targeting the genre and games that have the most sales and players.

a bunch of low skill players who can finally feel like they are good at something. of course the esports scene is big

Kwixotik

The point is rather, that the rest of the team isn't punished as harshly. I'm not saying 50% is perfect, but at least recognize in some way that some guy just left.

Haven't read the whole thread, but is there any reason not to penalize people based on how they entered the match? Like if you solo queue and some random on your team quits, you don't get penalized. But if you entered the match in a group with that person, you are penalized.

Haven't read the whole thread, but is there any reason not to penalize people based on how they entered the match? Like if you solo queue and some random on your team quits, you don't get penalized. But if you entered the match in a group with that person, you are penalized.

this problem is so easily solved its just comical that blizzard hasnt fixed it yet. if someone quits a round soloing competitive, drop him 100 points, rest of team receives no loss. if someone grouping competitive drops, all players in group lose 100. zomg blizzard look how difficult this is

pizzacat

Banned
if youre stuck in a certain point area, chances are thats your skill level

every placements has had me stuck in 2600 or a little above and every season I'm going to diamond and a bit higher, I'm getting better I'm putting in work, talking to higher ranked people on the OW OT discord, watching streams with people who clearly know how to play the game, working on my aim etc etc. and I'm climbing the ranks.

I'm at my career high like 200 points away from masters

most of my comp has been solo q except for this season but I would still have this career high without my 2 other teammates I usually have (4 queue is awful dont do it, 3 is a good max)

if you feel like its not worth your time tho, stop playing

benzopil

What's wrong with determining rank players? If a C9 player does his placement matches for this season, should he play with golds or what?

MGrant

I'm a former plat player now down at bronze-silver (playing with roommate) and ELO hell is absolutely real for anyone who's not a pro (so don't come at me with xyz pro player climbed from bronze to top 500 in 8 minutes).

No one plays Rein, and when I do they ignore me and rush in during the shield war. Not uncommon to see the shitty triumvirate of Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Torb instalocked at the beginning of a match. Not uncommon to see Lucios trying to 1v6 a whole team. I can and have climbed out a couple of times, but it's torturously slow, and most games are won or lost from the onset due to team comps.

I'm a former plat player now down at bronze-silver (playing with roommate) and ELO hell is absolutely real for anyone who's not a pro (so don't come at me with xyz pro player climbed from bronze to top 500 in 8 minutes).

No one plays Rein, and when I do they ignore me and rush in during the shield war. Not uncommon to see the shitty triumvirate of Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Torb instalocked at the beginning of a match. Not uncommon to see Lucios trying to 1v6 a whole team. I can and have climbed out a couple of times, but it's torturously slow, and most games are won or lost from the onset due to team comps.

none of this changes at grandmaster. youre not missing out on anything

a bunch of low skill players who can finally feel like they are good at something. of course the esports scene is big

Are you a troll or something? I couldn't make a more idiotic, low-effort post if I wanted to. I'm sorry that Overwatch touched you at some point in your life. The trauma has clearly left you upset and incomprehensible. I apologize if I have added to your suffering.

im sorry that you arent good at anything and overwatch participation trophies ar eyour sole comfort

I already apologized for being a meanie butt to you. I'm not going to take the bait and argue with lonely basement dwellers who desperately need the attention their parents quit giving them on their 30th birthday. Carry on.

Top Bottom