• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree, Stardew, & Axiom Verge - Which Switch games are you buying this week?

Cerium

None since I already own those games on other platforms. Mario and Fire Emblem have been pre-ordered awhile back so I won't be buying anything else unless there's a game released that I haven't own yet on another platform

Golf Story?

Neiteio

I continue to immensely enjoy SteamWorld Dig 2 and Golf Story. I think I'm at the final boss of Dig 2 (boss spoiler:
Rosie
), and in Golf Story I just reached the third world. The gameplay and scenario in each are remarkably well-paced. Wonderful games.

Stardew Valley is a bit slow for me so far, despite arming myself with tips going in. I feel like I keep repeating a cycle of spending what I make to make more of the same.

Axiom Verge doesn't look very appealing to me since I'm already playing two other Metroidvania titles (Dig 2 and Samus Returns).

I'm intrigued by Oxenfree. Curious how much there is to it.

Also curious about Earth Atlantis, although it might be too hard. Same for Volgarr. I like the Souls games, so I'm not allergic to a good videogame challenge. But I'm not sure about those two.

nubbe

Got Oxenfree and Stardew
Waiting for retail version for Axiom

Oxenfree is really cool, but have slight annoying performance issues... thanks Unity
Stardew is neat but far too slow for me

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hmm. I don't think I've ever had quite an experience with a game like Axiom Verge. Great first impressions, completely soured by it by the end to the point I don't want to finish it. Useless mass of weapons, needlessly convoluted storytelling, poor pacing and empowerment loop, and some terrible design decisions (that final boss is garbage). Does make me appreciate Super Metroid so much more though.

At this point I already can't buy any more games because I don't have time to play them so I have a huge list of games I want but that ill wait for price drops to buy them.

watershed

Banned
I downloaded Oxenfree and I'm really enjoying it so far though I don't now if enjoy is the right word. It's very engrossing but also super creepy. The visuals and music are great but it's the voicework that really shines. Unfortunately the performance issues and long load times are really dragging down the experience. A game like this should not be stuttering as much as it is. I hope there's a patch. Has the developer or publisher said anything about a patch?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I downloaded Oxenfree and I'm really enjoying it so far though I don't now if enjoy is the right word. It's very engrossing but also super creepy. The visuals and music are great but it's the voicework that really shines. Unfortunately the performance issues and long load times are really dragging down the experience. A game like this should not be stuttering as much as it is. I hope there's a patch. Has the developer or publisher said anything about a patch?

Sucks that this apparently is a pretty shoddy port... Hope there's a fix soon.

So did anyone who bought Volgarr make it past the first couple of stages? :p

watershed

Banned
Sucks that this apparently is a pretty shoddy port... Hope there's a fix soon.

So did anyone who bought Volgarr make it past the first couple of stages? :p

It really is a bummer. The long load times are tolerable but there is not a single screen/area that does not stutter multiple times as I simply walk from one side of the screen to the other. I have a very low tolerance for performance issues. I haven't dove into any Bioware game in years because of this but I didn't expect Oxenfree to have such consistent performance issues. That aside, the game is awesome.

ryushe

Hmm. I don't think I've ever had quite an experience with a game like Axiom Verge. Great first impressions, completely soured by it by the end to the point I don't want to finish it. Useless mass of weapons, needlessly convoluted storytelling, poor pacing and empowerment loop, and some terrible design decisions (that final boss is garbage). Does make me appreciate Super Metroid so much more though.
I finished Samus Returns a few days before AV came out and was absolutely excited to finally get a chance to play it, but something told me to look up gameplay videos/reviews on it and I'm so happy I did. I realized I absolutely didn't want to play that type of Metroidvania so soon, or maybe even ever again.

Using "backtracking" as a selling point for a Metroidvania has absolutely lost its luster for me and reading your post makes me feel like that's exactly the range of emotions I would have had.

Have you played SWD2?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Have you played SWD2?

Yes, finished it. Lovely to look at, and the physics are exquisite (best hookshot ever?) I know that a lot of people love the gameplay loop, but unfortunately it wasn't super satisfying for me. It's one of those games where everything is checked off, but I just can't fully warm up to it and can't articulate why. I think I would have preferred a bit more risk, like the lamp going out could actually kill you, or a bit more uniqueness in rewards, like if gems are rarer perhaps. I don't know. All I was thinking while playing was that I wanted to go back and replay Steamworld Heist. I'm still head over heels in love with that game.

Nosgotham

i bought volgarr instead but i caved and got Stardew Valley too. now im hooked. im NOT into harvest moon or animal crossing or anything like it but this game got its hooks in me good. im still figuring out a lot but thats part of the fun

At this point I already can't buy any more games because I don't have time to play them so I have a huge list of games I want but that ill wait for price drops to buy them.
I made the mistake of purchasing them all at the same time. I've neglected all of them because of Stardew Valley: Golf Story crashed on me too frequently and it made me lose interest, I was hooked on Oxenfree until it became a bit boring, tried Volgarr but got too involved with SV, bought Overcooked but the controls were horrible and I didn't enjoy it, waiting on physical Axiom Verge, and I already put 30+ hours on Picross S so I moved on. The only thing that will keep me from SV will be Mario Odyssey in a few weeks.

i bought volgarr instead but i caved and got Stardew Valley too. now im hooked. im NOT into harvest moon or animal crossing or anything like it but this game got its hooks in me good. im still figuring out a lot but thats part of the fun

SV was the other way round for me. I loved it on PC so bought it on Switch too and am now eagerly hoping for Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing announcements.

Plum

Bought Stardew Valley. Haven't played it much yet, too much uni stuff right now.

Also bought Oxenfree... on PS4. Didn't think that game really justified the near £10 price increase from the sale price on PSN.

I'm supposed to receive my copy of Axiom Verge multiverse edition and it seems it has been pushed back until December 21st. Any info on that delay or did I just get unlucky?

Top Bottom