• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm definitely a Sony fan, but it might not be a bad thing for MS to kick Sony's butt for a bit. Competition between these 2 is good for consumers and it keeps both companies on their toes.

Agree. After Sony kicked Microsoft's butt sales wise then Microsoft turned to the most anti consumer to the most Pro consumer of this generation. If Sony doesn't have any interesting exclusives for your personal taste then Xbox One X is the best place to be without competition

Ideally, when it comes to RAM they'll be some considerations for how much the OS will need. It's all well and good that they might have 16GB RAM, but when you have 3-4GB reserved for the OS, you drop to 12 or 13 for your games. Okay, that's still nothing to sneeze at, but would be nice to see 16GB main RAM and 4GB just for the OS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ideally, when it comes to RAM they'll be some considerations for how much the OS will need. It's all well and good that they might have 16GB RAM, but when you have 3-4GB reserved for the OS, you drop to 12 or 13 for your games. Okay, that's still nothing to sneeze at, but would be nice to see 16GB main RAM and 4GB just for the OS.

I think MS, and Sony with the PS3, was going in the right direction with an hyper visor and separate Game OS and Other/System OS sitting on top of it that have an interface to exchange data between them. It would be easier to have an SoC to handle general OS duties and background downloads and security and a much beefier SoC to handle games and if delegates some heavy part of the console OS.

TLZ

Banned
If Sony doesn't have any interesting exclusives for your personal taste then Xbox One X is the best place to be without competition
Nah. I'm selling my X just a week plus after getting it. This is my 2nd Xbox one to sell. I'm just not feeling it at all. I appreciate the bc, but I honestly don't think the X is worth it. The number of enhanced og Xbox and 360 games on it are miniscule, and a good number of them I don't care about. I had hoped that every og Xbox and 360 game released under gwg since X's release last november would be enhanced. Even keeping it for Xbox ones exclusives isn't worth it; they're uninteresting and bad.

The little unsubstantial resolution increase from Pro to X for multis is hardly noticeable even on my 4k TV, and definitely not worth all the money when you're better off getting the cheaper pro that still looks good enough on your 4K TV, in addition to the much better exclusives, plus the simpler and straight forward OS.

I honestly can't see any value keeping this. I'd much rather get the S if I'm after 360 and og Xbox games. It still has vsync at system level and gets rid of tearing. Good enough for bc, especially when not many are X enhanced. Also has a 4k Blu-ray player, and a much, much cheaper system. If anyone wants an Xbox one now, I'd just recommend the S. And better off waiting what MS can give us nextgen.

I believe you can get the S and the pro for the price of an X. This is much better value. The best of both worlds.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nah. I'm selling my X just a week plus after getting it. This is my 2nd Xbox one to sell. I'm just not feeling it at all. I appreciate the bc, but I honestly don't think the X is worth it. The number of enhanced og Xbox and 360 games on it are miniscule, and a good number of them I don't care about. I had hoped that every og Xbox and 360 game released under gwg since X's release last november would be enhanced. Even keeping it for Xbox ones exclusives isn't worth it; they're uninteresting and bad.

The little unsubstantial resolution increase from Pro to X for multis is hardly noticeable even on my 4k TV, and definitely not worth all the money when you're better off getting the cheaper pro that still looks good enough on your 4K TV, in addition to the much better exclusives, plus the simpler and straight forward OS.

I honestly can't see any value keeping this. I'd much rather get the S if I'm after 360 and og Xbox games. It still has vsync at system level and gets rid of tearing. Good enough for bc, especially when not many are X enhanced. Also has a 4k Blu-ray player, and a much, much cheaper system. If anyone wants an Xbox one now, I'd just recommend the S. And better off waiting what MS can give us nextgen.

I believe you can get the S and the pro for the price of an X. This is much better value. The best of both worlds.

That's your opinion and all, but I disagree strongly. Maybe you don't care about sub par fps or screen tearing, but I do.

Games like AC: Original runs sub 30 fps, Ghost Recon: Wildlands has screen tearing, many games runs below 1080 fps on Xbox One and S - all this is eliminated on One X.

You did cut out one of the reasons from my post though - that Sony are anti consumer, and Microsoft is most Pro consumer this generation when you compare these two.

And you mainly talk about Xbox 360 games like the One has no games. Many Xbox 360 games has no screen tearing, better textures, and better frame rate on the X even compared to A, I really don't know what you're talking about.

I'd you are ONLY interested in Xbox 360 and don't care about the One library at all, then I would maybe have bought an Xbox 360 instead.

EDMIX

But even if it was Sony would still come out on top power has never dictated the console market sales , the only time Sony came in 2nd place in the console market was when they over-engineered the PS3 & even than it wasn't too far behind the Wii when it was all over.

Agreed.

Software solely will dictate how next gen plays out.

Top Bottom