• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter thinks that gamepass can reach 200 million users in the next 10 years.

cormack12

Gold Member
Please-just-stop-Stop-Meme.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think that's extreme obviously. Gamepass has always had the potential to experience exponential growth. The amount you get for the money is pretty much unrivaled. If MS studios are in a regular release rhythm over the next decade along with Call of Duty on it, it's not like it's impossible.

Is it likely? No, not really. But if for some reason it finally caught on it's available nearly ubiquitously and would be easy to pick up for people if they want, on PC, phones, TVs, browsers, console, and maybe a handheld coming up. I mean Disney+ is complete shit and that somehow has 149 million, and 10 years is a long time.

It really just comes down to consumers actually deciding they want it in large numbers. It's possible but we really haven't seen that yet. Even 100 million would be shocking at this point. I think they may have a shot at substantial growth when Call of Duty hits the service if they actually invest in substantial, expensive mainstream advertising for like 2 years.

Three

Even if you assume every single COD player on the planet moves to gamepass that would be 34M additional users at best. With what exactly does he expect to make up the remaining 130M additional users? Candy crush?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The only thing he has been right about in recent memory was the result of the ABK acquisition. 1/100 is still terrible.

timothet

They would need to start releasing banger after a banger to keep people interested long enough. But looking at their track record it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Certainly not within next couple of years to make that 10 year prediction happen.

The vast majority of gamers only play 3-4 games per year. And that includes F2P games like Warzone, Fortnite, and Apex Legends. To think casual gamers will pay 200$+ per year a year for a subscription service is ridiculous. Gamepass only caters to hardcore gamers because it isn't worth it for the vast majority of gamers

And, even in a quarter where Microsoft got the hottest game in the world(Palworld) as a console exclusive, their console sales plummeted. Not to mention 10's of millions deciding to buy it on steam instead of through Gamepass.

It will become very apparent by late this year, when Microsoft realizes that even releasing COD on gamepass won't dramatically change their console or gamepass subscription numbers

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Netflix was at 260 million last year. I'd argue that TV and Movies has a much broader reach than gaming right now at least. It took Netflix how long to get there?

Yea, I think 200 million is not really possible.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It won't reach half of that before they give it up. It's already stagnating and the millions of people who only play the new COD every year are not going to start giving Microsoft $10 a month instead.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
200 million?! How? Pc has little growth (i actually use it on pc) or at least that is my understanding. How could they even get close to those kind of numbers?

timothet

Netflix was at 260 million last year. I'd argue that TV and Movies has a much broader reach than gaming right now at least. It took Netflix how long to get there?

Yea, I think 200 million is not really possible.
My thoughts exactly. Netflix went from 34M to 200M in around 7 years. So gamepass doing it in 10 years is really wishful thinking.

ReBurn

Gold Member
In 10 years more people might be ready for subscriptions than today. Future generations of gamers are likely going to see it as normal. The larger market has accepted it for movies, music and books. It's only a matter of time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hope (and greed apparently) springs eternal.

Still waiting to see evidence to see my gaming world as an archipelago theory disproved.

Top Bottom