• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter thinks that gamepass can reach 200 million users in the next 10 years.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
homer simpson GIF

poodaddy

Bro I was a huge proponent of Game Pass and even I know this is horse shit. I'm paid up for quite some time, but I've honestly soured quite a lot on the service. I'm enjoying Evil West and Dead Island 2, but the truth is I still just mostly end up playing things I own, which makes being a member seem silly to me in the long term. Same for PS Plus.

I've already decided that when Gamepass and PS Plus run out I'm done with both. I don't play online either, and I do prefer permanent access to my games, not feeling rushed to finish it by a certain date. Sorry subscription bros, I enjoyed my time with both PS and Gamepass, but the truth is I don't even have enough time in this life to finish all the games I OWN, let alone the constant stream of games coming out of the subscriptions. I'm outty 5000.

tmlDan

He is the definition of opposite day, everything he says, you make money by betting the other direction.

I assume that's why he is a consultant, everyone who utilizes him as a consultant prob knows this. The bigger the bet, the bigger the fall/rise in the opposite direction.

Caffeine

except they have slowed down spending for securing games on it lol. so the reverse will happen and they will lose subs while increasing price.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Maybe if my toaster runs it and the controller comes in the box.

Actually there is one way this could happen.
And Apple tv like device (doubles as a streaming player), less than $99 including a controller, that reliably runs games and apps at at least 1440p with little or no noticeable latency.

Haven't seen this yet though tech wise.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It certainly could. But, I think they should try and stick to more realistic growth and keep the service sustainable at differ levels of subscribers. Maybe they can do certain things when they hit certain levels, etc.

This will take time because this is something new for PC players that aren't as comfortable with monthly fees for games in the way that console players are. They own a lot of content now, so, there is a lot of value in that.

Lupin25

only way there would be a “chance” of that happening would be if gamepass came to ps5, switch and games like GTA 6, along with every other high-quality AAA title somehow made it to gamepass day one.

To reach 200 million likely needs to be on Switch as well would be my guess
I think it would have to be on every platform and frankly I still don't know if they could do it. Game development takes so long and is so expensive, you need new content on a far more frequent basis and they've already spent $100 billion just buying up studios in the last 5 years, they've hardly seen any return on that investment when it comes to actual product. People also seem to forget the purchase price was just the start, they have to pay for all of these projects to be made. I really don't think a model like this works in gaming, it really doesn't work well in streaming video where you can make 3-5 seasons of a popular show in time it takes to make 1 AAA video game at a lower cost.

Sanepar

Anything can happens and since people think subscription is a smart choice mostly gen z there is a chance but it is not gonna happen on xbox console. It will be cloud, pc and other devices.

SHA

He always chose a period where no one would believe what he says despite being right.

Last edited:
This is the same guy who said that the 360 / Ps3 generation would be the last console generation. And that Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony would quit.

Hell a psychic makes more accurate predictions than this guy.

Isn’t it barely at 20 million full priced subscribers not counting trials? What is the magical IP that’s going to provide a 10x increase to subscriptions?…

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The only reason I still even have game pass is because I get it for 50% off, and I still only use it like once a month at best.

The only way this gets even 100 million subscribers is if it gets native iOS and Android apps, or Nintendo allows it on the Switch. Even then, it’s a huge stretch.

DonF

With pachters track record all i can think of is that the guy shorts everything he talks about. Why he always misses yet still has a job??

SJRB

Gold Member
He also disses Playstation and Nintendo gaming philosophy.

Okay so two companies that have been overwhelmingly successful for decades are actually doing it wrong, and the company that made pretty much every mistake a company can make and is currently in complete disarray is going to see an unfathomable growth in users.

clown-peepo.gif

Makes me nostalgic, dunking on Pachter. Good old Gametrailers.com forum.

The vast majority of gamers only play 3-4 games per year. And that includes F2P games like Warzone, Fortnite, and Apex Legends. To think casual gamers will pay 200$+ per year a year for a subscription service is ridiculous. Gamepass only caters to hardcore gamers because it isn't worth it for the vast majority of gamers
This. The biggest hurdle to mass adoption is that free-to-play games simply skips Gamepass entirely. And people who play GaaS games tend to have very little free time to play anything else.

The casual and non-gamers are already permanently used to the idea of free to play, and Gamepass was never going to win them over. Without these people, you would never get to 200million.

Gojiira

It couldnt even hit 30Million without folding in the non subscriber Xbox Live users and he thinks it will hit 200Million? LMFAO…

Edmund

Pretty funny how Xbox has all these analysts, journalists, and influencers in their backpocket and going to bat for them, yet the brand is a sinking ship and is on the brink of irrelevancy.

Because PlayStation and Nintendo let the games do the talking.

And that's why Phil Spencer does nothing but talk all the time.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
full

Oh Pachter...

Sure, if you put it on Playstation 5.
Basically, putting it on this and/or Nintendo.

Hell, I wonder how many users are still on XBO and dont have Game Pass?

The current gen only games on Game Pass means last gen users are left out.

Last edited:

eerik9000

He also disses Playstation and Nintendo gaming philosophy.

Is he retarded or what. It doesn't work for Xbox because they spent over 75 billion dollar on acquiring multi-platform publishers, Sony and Nintendo did not do that, they are still platform holders first and foremost.

And Hollywood studios DID own their own movie theaters before the regulators stepped in and forced the separation. Gosh, what an idiot.

Top Bottom