• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 10, 2010

Raist

Banned
micromagic said:
I meant the PS3/360 ratio is surprisingly close considering that Final Fantasy is seen as a PlayStation franchise. I don't think anybody (or many) were put off by bad gaming press for the 360 version.

Well at the same time there's like, what, twice more 360s than PS3s in the UK?

Pooya

the gap should be larger in US sales between 360 and PS3, but 360 version is already a success, I think we will see more FFs on 360, that's just so much money to ignore.
congrats to Square-Enix. I really like the game.

manzo

DMeisterJ said:
I think that Versus XIII will be like MGS4 and AGENT. As in, bought and paid for by SCE, and no 360 version.

If Sony owns/co-owns the IP, then naturally there won't be a 360 version.

Dynoro

DMeisterJ said:
I think that Versus XIII will be like MGS4 and AGENT. As in, bought and paid for by SCE, and no 360 version.
Do you honestly think that MS wouldn't offer the same as Sony just to keep it multiplat? Or that Squarenix don't look at these 360 numbers and see what a missed opportunity a console exclusive is nowadays?

Pooya

manzo said:
If Sony owns/co-owns the IP, then naturally there won't be a 360 version.
I don't think SCE owns/co-owns any of those IPs, but they obviously paid for exclusivity. Agent similar to GTA - Episodes from LC is probably timed exclusive, I can't see T2 make a exclusive PS3 game at this point to be honest.
Versus XIII is another story though, I think it will remain PS3 exclusive. but if there is any other console game in FNC like FFXIII-2 for example, or FFXV, there is a very good chance for a 360 version.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dynoro said:
Do you honestly think that MS wouldn't offer the same as Sony just to keep it multiplat? Or that Squarenix don't look at these 360 numbers and see what a missed opportunity a console exclusive is nowadays?
By that token, why would R* make Agent exclusive looking at the sales of GTA IV?

Cause money talks.

Dynoro

DMeisterJ said:
By that token, why would R* make Agent exclusive looking at the sales of GTA IV?

Cause money talks.
That's kind of what I'm saying - money does talk and if MS give either SE or Rockstar money to go multiplatform (and in so doing they would make more money from greater sale) why wouldn't they take the money?

For example Sony pay 10mUSD for exclusivity for Agent - then MS come along 6months before release and offer 10mUSD to make it multiplat instead. Even with the added development costs I would imagine the exclusivity would be dropped like a stone in favour of an extra x hundred thousand sales.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dolemite said:
And why is that?
I can't find my own musings thread for March (lol) but my 360 centric town had a 3-1 ratio in favor of PS3. This NEVER happens. Not that this is the trend everywhere but it's telling to my own area which I ask about pre-orders and sales all the time to report back when I can.

Pooya

dolemite said:
And why is that?
from what I've heard and read on this board. :p, "PS3 version outsold everywhere etc"
all pointing to 2:1 sales in favor of PS3 in initial sales. but I think although initial sales of 360 version were lower it will continue to sell in the coming weeks due to large user base, I think sales ratio will end up 1.5:1. that's very good results for 360 if true, no one expected it to do this good. considering it had only a year of development and definitely was much cheaper to make compared to PS3 version (considering the differences in quality of both versions) , 360 version is already a success IMO.

Road said:
The March NPD results will surprise many people, I see.
I hope you're right . March NPD can't come soon enough.
if they are this close in NA, then it's a huge achievement for Square x Microsoft.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dynoro said:
That's kind of what I'm saying - money does talk and if MS give either SE or Rockstar money to go multiplatform (and in so doing they would make more money from greater sale) why wouldn't they take the money?

For example Sony pay 10mUSD for exclusivity for Agent - then MS come along 6months before release and offer 10mUSD to make it multiplat instead. Even with the added development costs I would imagine the exclusivity would be dropped like a stone in favour of an extra x hundred thousand sales.
And you think tha SCE will pay X dollars for only the chance of exclusivity?

Pretty sure that something like that would be stipulated in the contract. I.e.: Dont take the money I give you and then make the game multi-plat.

Dynoro

DMeisterJ said:
And you think tha SCE will pay X dollars for only the chance of exclusivity?

Pretty sure that something like that would be stipulated in the contract. I.e.: Dont take the money I give you and then make the game multi-plat.
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant that Rockstar would then give Sony back the money and take MS's instead (they get the same size moneyhat either way). But by now by being multiplatform they can now sell more copies.

ZoddGutts

Haven't the last two trailers for Versus say that it's 'For PS3 only Worldwide', both of which trailers came after the announcement of FF13 being multiplatform in E3? Seems to me I'll stay exclusive or at least a timed exclusive worldwide.

Baki

Relaxed Muscle said:
54/46...

Not bad at all, I was expecting much worse for the 360 version...,if the percentage stay around those numbers counting the rest of sales, I could easily see Versus announced for 360...

I think the 360 version will have less legs than the PS3 version in the UK.

Yoboman said:

If FF13 360 sells over a million copies in the US and Europe, you don't think that SE will port future FF titles to the 360?

DMeisterJ said:

Cause money talks.

GTAIV made over 300 million in revenue on both consoles. I think buying full exclusivity on any Rockstar title is out of both Sony and MS' league at this point of the generation.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
If FF13 360 sells over a million copies in the US and Europe, you don't think that SE will port future FF titles to the 360?

That's not how these decisions are made. SE doesn't glance at NPD results and decide to make ports, they have contracts. I'm sure Sony tied up Versus for at least a year.

Serenity

I think the judgement of FF13 success to SE will be if making it multiplat increases the sales of series over those of FF12. If not then what did they really gain? The only winner would be MS in the deal.

iceatcs

"I want Versus... I WANT VERSUS!!"

Shut up anyway. We get it, now let back on PAL thread ok?

Yakuza 3 managed in Top 40, I don't think Yakuza 2 make it.
I wonder if it is better or not. I need numbers :(

DMeisterJ

Banned
So do we think, for the fifth time this year, that a game (God of War 3) will break the record for highest first week next week?

My money is on no. D:

dolemite

The other samurai game didn't fare too well, even compared to Yakuza 3:

PS3 only chart:
- 6 YAKUZA 3 SEGA SEGA SEGA
- 24 WAY OF THE SAMURAI 3 ACQUIRE CORPORATION GAMEBRIDGE GAMEBRIDGE

360 only chart:
- 28 WAY OF THE SAMURAI 3 ACQUIRE CORPORATION GAMEBRIDGE GAMEBRIDGE

Wii only chart:
- 18 DANCING ON ICE INFUSION GAMES GHOSTLIGHT GHOSTLIGHT
Just Dance killer?

dolemite

DMeisterJ said:
So do we think, for the fifth time this year, that a game (God of War 3) will break the record for highest first week next week?

My money is on no. D:
FFXIII had three more days on the charts and 1 more SKU. Kratos will have to work extra hard.

Those sales seem to be pretty good for a Yakuza game. Given the amount of co-marketing that went into FFXIII for the 360 I'm not surprised that it did well. But I think that focusing on one platform so much like that hurts sales and that they might have even comparatively undershipped the PS3 version. Play.com is currently out of stock for the PS3 but not the 360 and the PS3 version on Amazon has been just offered by Marketplace sellers on and off for a while although both versions are out of stock now.

wackojackosnose said:
That's cos it was ~£4 from Play.com last week.

I must sell my copies this week!

Online sales aren't counted by Chart-track.

Dynoro

DMeisterJ said:

My money is on no. D:
I can definitely see GoW3 selling like hotcakes but not on the level of FFXIII - but only due to the extra platform. I haven't seen nearly the interest in FF locally that I thought I would and only know of one person that bought it.

iceatcs

DMeisterJ said:

My money is on no. D:
Not in UK for some reasons.
If it do, I will be very surprise, like miracle level.

JonnyBrad

DMeisterJ said:

My money is on no. D:

In terms of chart track i think they count both verisions (360 + PS3) as one version in their blurbs so i doubt it. Also the lack of days it will be on sale compared to FFXIII as stated above.

ZoddGutts

dolemite said:
Versus will probably follow FFXIII's pattern: exclusive to Japan, multiplat otherwise.

vzwiuw.jpg

Anyways good to see Heavy Rain holding up well. Never thought it would have done this well, Quantic Dream and Sony must be happy with these sales. Was worried that the game would bomb and Quantic Dream would go out of business, you never know in this current gen.

nilam01

Banned
Wow it's shamefull to see a possible GOTY contender such as mass effect 2 getting kicked out of the top 20 after just 2 months. While disgusting shovelware such just dance manages to break records. It truly saddens me deeply.

Silent Hill is at 7 on the Wii Charts. Still above its debut week (which was 11). I hope it stays steady.

Oh, and the obligatory people must buy this game :)

Does anyone know what the minimum HR sales would be now? I know someone had been able to work them out for the last few weeks based on ME2 and AvP comparisons (I think it was those games anyway), but without the forum search I can't check.

Yakuza 3 charting is bizarre. Well done UK! Now no excuse not to give us Yakuza 4, Sega, since this will have far eclipsed Yakuza 2's pathetic sales, and you didn't even advertise this one at all either.

Carl

06 (04) PS3 Heavy Rain (Sony Computer Ent.)

Hell yeah, good to see Heavy Rain doing so well :) Really didn't think it would, but it is good to see that it did.

Also, that's with

29 (32) PS3 Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)

Surely not that many people know that TLAD and BOGT are coming out soon?

Anyway...Obligatory congratulations to both Forza and Uncharted for having impressive legs.

dolemite

Die Squirrel Die said:
Does anyone know what the minimum HR sales would be now? I know someone had been able to work them out for the last few weeks based on ME2 and AvP comparisons (I think it was those games anyway), but without the forum search I can't check.
56k < First Week Heavy Rain < 100k
89.3k < First Three Weeks Heavy Rain < 159.5k

EDIT: for comparison, Mass Effect 2 (360) first three weeks sales ~136k.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
cjelly said:
I'm surprised FFXIII was that close. I thought there were may more weeaboo's who had PS3s.

I'm curious for European numbers as a whole, and not UK only. Probably a bigger gap.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also, the real test will be if XIII was able to outsell FFXII, being on two systems. I'm having my doubts (already failed to do so in Japan).

dolemite

Kagari said:
Also, the real test will be if XIII was able to outsell FFXII, being on two systems. I'm having my doubts (already failed to do so in Japan).
Should've been on the 360 too:lol

desu

Kagari said:
I'm curious for European numbers as a whole, and not UK only. Probably a bigger gap.

Same here, looking forward to other countries too. Anyway still surprised by the close result for UK.

Pooya

Isn't UK the largest video games market in EU? I don't think sales from other countries change the ratio much,I think it will be around 60:40 for Europe.
dolemite said:
Should've been on the 360 too:lol
100-200K easily if it was on 360.

Top Bottom