• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 17, 2017

Do you really think that people buy Switch mainly because of Wonderboy or Puyo Puyo Tetris? There're only two system sellers on Switch right now – Zelda and Mario Kart 8.

It has two system sellers early in its life though. That's a good thing. I hope Splatoon 2 and ARMS can keep the train going. The smart thing for Nintendo to do: announce a Pokemon at E3.

I love PAL threads only cuz my ex-gf use to tell me UK and Europe will always be Sony land, but I beg to differ :p. Great to see that Nintendo is sellig decently all across PAL land. Just need your portable FIFA and PES and were all set right PAL GAF :)

Well, even the 360 outsold the PS3 last gen, so it's not like it's unstoppable there. But Europe as a whole is a different discussion. Outside of lightning in a bottle platforms like the Wii, a console is going to need every major multiplatform game in order to compete in Europe. Last year the big multiplatform games throughout Europe were FIFA, CoD, BF1, The Division, Overwatch, GTAV, FFXV etc. This year we'll see FIFA, CoD, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, NFS, and hopefully RDR2. Of those the Switch looks like it'll only get a version of one of them. That isn't going to cut it if you're seriously talking about the Switch competing with the PS4 in Europe.

daxgame

Well, even the 360 outsold the PS3 last gen, so it's not like it's unstoppable there. But Europe as a whole is a different discussion. Outside of lightning in a bottle platforms like the Wii, a console is going to need every major multiplatform game in order to compete in Europe. Last year the big multiplatform games throughout Europe were FIFA, CoD, BF1, The Division, Overwatch, GTAV, FFXV etc. This year we'll see FIFA, CoD, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, NFS, and hopefully RDR2. Of those the Switch looks like it'll only get a version of one of them. That isn't going to cut it if you're seriously talking about the Switch competing with the PS4 in Europe.
Eh, not so sure. Xbone has all those games yet the ps4/xbox one ratio in Europe is crazy, Uk being the only exception. I can easily see Switch doing well in Europe given freakin' WiiU was relatively close to Xbox one in Germany, for example. Nintendo DS also did exceptional back then btw. Strong exclusives like Zelda are much, much more important than having those games which would still sell a fraction of what they do on ps4

13ruce

Banned
Next week Minecraft right? Wonder how that will perform probably pretty good. Kinda hope for a Zelda pack soon tho. That's when i bite and buy it.

Jumeira

Banned
Zelda is a such a colossal achievement in open world design and seeing it sell so well drives home to Nintendo to keep going in the direction they're going in. Fingers crossed it continues to remain the default game and remains in the charts. Level of polish is unreal.

Eh, not so sure. Xbone has all those games yet the ps4/xbox one ratio in Europe is crazy, Uk being the only exception. I can easily see Switch doing well in Europe given freakin' WiiU was relatively close to Xbox one in Germany, for example. Nintendo DS also did exceptional back then btw. Strong exclusives like Zelda are much, much more important than having those games which would still sell a fraction of what they do on ps4

Well, the post I was replying to wasn't simply talking about doing well in Europe, it seemed to be implying that Nintendo could do better than Sony is. In which case those multiplatform games are needed. Sony has all of them on top of a bunch of exclusives that make the platform appealing. If it were just one or the other the sales of the console would look quite a bit different. I'd argue that it's a big reason why the PS (console) brand is always successful in comparison to other platforms. They're consistently the most well rounded platforms in terms of exclusives and multiplatform games. And if you're someone that can only buy one console, it's a safe choice because you never have to worry about whether it'll get the next Rockstar game or CoD while it'll also have a bunch of exclusives.

Shin-Ra

Who usually shares the platform % breakdowns?

I'm most interested in Little Nightmares and Outlast 2.. Trinity.

Bruno MB

uFalM.png

United Kingdom:
Week 17, 2017 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
02 (NE) SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 3 (CI GAMES)
03 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
04 (NE) LITTLE NIGHTMARES (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
05 (10) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
06 (04) LEGO WORLDS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
07 (01) TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS (UBISOFT)
08 (08) CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (03) FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (06) HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
11 (05) ROCKET LEAGUE (505 GAMES)
12 (12) FORZA HORIZON 3 (MICROSOFT)
13 (09) MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
14 (NE) OUTLAST TRINITY (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
15 (24) HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT)
16 (11) LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
17 (07) OVERWATCH (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
18 (NE) PUYO PUYO TETRIS (SEGA)
19 (20) THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM SPECIAL ED. (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
20 (17) TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW 6: SIEGE (UBISOFT)
21 (16) MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION (MICROSOFT)
22 (13) WWE 2K17 (TAKE 2)
23 (15) YOOKA-LAYLEE (TEAM 17)
24 (14) BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
25 (22) LEGO STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
26 (18) FOR HONOR (UBISOFT)
27 (26) 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO)
28 (21) MAFIA III (TAKE 2)
29 (29) POKEMON SUN (NINTENDO)
30 (25) TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION (UBISOFT)
31 (31) RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD (CAPCOM)
32 (35) MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
33 (40) DARK SOULS III: THE FIRE FADES EDITION (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
34 (28) MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
35 (RE) GEARS OF WAR 4 (MICROSOFT)
36 (RE) FALLOUT 4 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
37 (19) SNIPER ELITE 4 (SOLD OUT SALES & MARKETING)
38 (RE) CITIES SKYLINES: XBOX ONE EDITION (PARADOX)
39 (RE) POKEMON MOON (NINTENDO)
40 (27) HITMAN: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Week 17, 2017 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) NSW MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
02 (NE) PS4 SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 3 (CI GAMES)
03 (12) NSW THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
04 (01) PS4 HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
05 (NE) PS4 LITTLE NIGHTMARES (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
06 (03) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
07 (NE) XBO SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 3 (CI GAMES)
08 (08) XBO FORZA HORIZON 3 (MICROSOFT)
09 (05) XBO GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
10 (10) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
11 (21) XBO HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT)
12 (07) XBO LEGO WORLDS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
13 (02) PS4 TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS (UBISOFT)
14 (06) PS4 LEGO WORLDS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
15 (NE) PS4 OUTLAST TRINITY (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
16 (11) XBO FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
17 (04) XBO TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS (UBISOFT)
18 (09) XBO ROCKET LEAGUE (505 GAMES)
19 (15) PS4 ROCKET LEAGUE (505 GAMES)
20 (18) XBO CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
21 (16) PS4 MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
22 (NE) XBO LITTLE NIGHTMARES (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
23 (14) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
24 (19) XBO MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION (MICROSOFT)
25 (20) XBO MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
26 (NE) NSW PUYO PUYO TETRIS (SEGA)
27 (23) NSW 1-2 SWITCH (NINTENDO)
28 (25) 3DS POKEMON SUN (NINTENDO)
29 (32) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
30 (13) XBO OVERWATCH (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
31 (28) PS4 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW 6: SIEGE (UBISOFT)
32 (RE) XBO GEARS OF WAR 4 (MICROSOFT)
33 (17) PS4 OVERWATCH (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
34 (22) PS4 YOOKA-LAYLEE (TEAM 17)
35 (RE) XBO CITIES SKYLINES: XBOX ONE EDITION (PARADOX)
36 (36) 3DS POKEMON MOON (NINTENDO)
37 (24) PS4 LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
38 (31) PS4 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
39 (RE) 3DS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (NINTENDO)
40 (RE) XBO HALO WARS 2 (MICROSOFT)

Bruno MB

It is really disheartening not to see Dragon Quest Heroes II charting in the top 40.

You can find it on the PlayStation 4 top 20 chart though.

TOP 20 SONY PLAYSTATION 4, WEEK ENDING 29 April 2017

20 (NE) DRAGON QUEST HEROES II (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

dno_1966

It is really disheartening not to see Dragon Quest Heroes II charting in the top 40.

If you're referring to the Switch version, I don't think it's been released yet??

Shahed

I didn't even realise it was out.

Not that it would have made a difference. I thought the first game was poor, and with Persona 5 finally being in stock somewhere I bought that to play

If you're referring to the Switch version, I don't think it's been released yet??

PS4 version of the 2nd game just released in the west

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can I say its awesome that Little Nightmares is doing so well! I haven't even played it yet, hoping to this weekend, but I can't wait.

xrnzaaas

Outlast collection ain't doing that great in retail, but digital numbers should be much better. The PS4 version was already scored more than 500 times in their store. That seems like a lot (Little Nightmares has less than 200 scores) considering not many people use this feature.

It really cements how much of a failure of a concept WiiU was that it held back Nintendos IPs so much

yes. but always remember only big failures lead to huge successes (like the Switch)
without the bad WiiU, there would be no great Switch

UK is one of the toughest markets for Nintendo
if they can have moderate success there, they're doing fine

So what are the estimates for MK8D.
I mean I remember someone saying MK8 did around 70k so should guaranteed to have a higher opening than Zelda right? (Maybe 80k?)

Fredrik

if Horizon ZD was a PS4 launch title it would be successful aswell but still as a brand new IP not much people would consider it yet while Zelda especially if your a fan of it your going to get it right away
So those devs with big IPs who are waiting to jump in on a new platform until the installed base is bigger are clearly not thinking straight? In reality it's better for devs of a popular IP if a launch lineup is barren and there is little reason to buy a new console?

Zelda seems to have as close to a 100% attach rate as you can get. I can't imagine many people buying a Switch without that game. Horizon has done incredibly well in its own right, but is up against much stronger competition on a more mature platform. It's not hard to see why Zelda is charting higher, not to mention the fact it's an established IP.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

If SE was a bit smarter they would have made sure that DQH2Pac for Switch is ready for the global launch and runs well enough. They could have sold quite some copies and benefited from the sparse competition... But we'll they aren't the fastest to jump on opportunities like that.

Bruno MB

yW8JH.png

Germany:
April 2017 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) MARIO KART 8 (NINTENDO)
02 (03) TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS (UBISOFT)
03 (02) HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
04 (05) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (01) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
06 (06) FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (NE) LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
08 (04) MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (NE) PERSONA 5 (ATLUS)
10 (16) MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT / NINTENDO / SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
11 (13) CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
12 (11) BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
13 (08) LEGO WORLDS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
14 (RE) WATCH DOGS 2 (UBISOFT)
15 (NE) YO-KAI WATCH 2: FLESHY SOULS (NINTENDO)
16 (RE) UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
17 (15) CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
18 (10) MAFIA III (TAKE 2)
19 (14) RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD (CAPCOM)
20 (19) POKEMON SUN (NINTENDO)

Bruno MB

Yo-Kai Watch does not seem to be much popular in Germany. In contrast, Yo-Kai Watch 2 was the best-selling April game in Spain if we include all sku's, and very likely in France too.

Yo-Kai Watch does not seem to be much popular in Germany. In contrast, Yo-Kai Watch 2 was the best-selling April game in Spain if we include all sku's, and very likely in France too.

I'd imagine the other version is just outside the top 20 and we have no way of knowing how much higher it would leap is both were combined

tolkir

FScg6.png

Spain:
Week 17, 2017 - All Formats (Units)

01 NSW Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 36,000 / NEW
02 3DS Yo-kai Watch 2 (All Sku's) - 6,000 / 60,000
03 PS4 FIFA 17 - 3,500 / <600,000
04 PS4 Grand Theft Auto V - 3,200 / 525,000
05 PS4 Little Nightmares (Six Edition) - 3,000 / NEW

LTD Numbers

PS3 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (Essentials) - 22,000
3DS Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - 20,000