• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 17, 2017

Zedark

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=2628&s=1111

chart track said:
MARIO KART AVOIDS BEING EATEN BY PREY

‘Prey', developed by Arkane Studios, of ‘Dishonored' fame, is the spiritual successor to 2006's ‘Prey' which was released on Xbox360/PC by Take 2, also debuting at No2 on the All Formats Top 40 (Units). Rockstar/Take 2 remain at No3 with ‘GTA V' and Activision climb 4 places to No4 with ‘Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare'. Warner climb 1 place to No5 with ‘LEGO Worlds' and 505 rocket 5 places to No 6 with ‘Rocket League'. CI Games' ‘Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3' debuted at No2 last week but drops to No13 this week. Bandai Namco debuted last week at No4 and now sit at No12 with ‘Little Nightmares'. Also debuting in the Top 40 this week is Telltale Games' ‘Guardians of the Galaxy: Telltale Series' at No31, released at the same time as the new Guardians movie hits the silver screen.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Depends on the percentage drop MK8D experienced. Was MK8D between 60-80k week 1?

High %drop=bad for both, Low % drop = good for Mario, ok for Prey debut.

For reference, the original MK8 had a 76% second week drop.

Phamit

luigih1sc9.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I've asked for the MK8D percentage drop, hopefully it will be shared then we can extrapolate Preys success or lack of.

Did you ask to Chris Dring on Twitter? I must've missed your own tweet in the case.

jonno394

Did you ask to Chris Dring on Twitter? I must've missed your own tweet in the case.

Yeah I did but we have the answer now though!

71% drop from week 1 of over 60k means wk2 is at least 17.5K, if it's that low then Prey really bombed hard.

Hasney

Huh. Well, I guess I overestimated Bethesda's star power as a developer here.

I mean, until the demo OT thread here, I had no idea it was even coming out.

Shown by Dishonored 2's sales and now this, I think the Bethesda star power is in its brands more than Bethesda itself. Doom, Elder Scrolls and Fallout will likely have great day 1 sales even if they're outsourced to High Voltage.

Shown by Dishonored 2's sales and now this, I think the Bethesda star power is in its brands more than Bethesda itself. Doom, Elder Scrolls and Fallout will likely have great day 1 sales even if they're outsourced to High Voltage.

Seems so. While disappointing, it does paint a bit of an interesting picture as to how the company will have to work on developing interest in new or lesser known IPs, or buy up the rights to much better known titles and make sure to use them well ala Wolfenstein and Doom.

Yeah I did but we have the answer now though!

71% drop from week 1 of over 60k means wk2 is at least 17.5K, if it's that low then Prey really bombed hard.

At least it's doing well on Steam and I expect word of mouth to carry it.

Hopefully good reviews will put in the spotlight some more. I don't get how Bethesda handles this game. Arkane deserves better,

Kill3r7

Hopefully good reviews will put in the spotlight some more. I don't get how Bethesda handles this game. Arkane deserves better,

To be fair, Arkane makes awesome games with old school PC sensibilities that have little mass market appeal outside their core audience. I am not sure how you market them better.

Hasney

Bethesdas review copy policy being a blanket thing is just weird. Yeah, it probably does make sense for a game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls that will have some reviews call out the bugs, but they're putting big marketing money behind it and the name value will carry it through. For things like Dishonoured and Prey where the name value isn't there and they don't want to advertise it as much but they're quality games, just get the copies out to the press. At least have some people talking about it and have pre-release reviews ready.

Sony did an interesting thing with Horizon. With Zelda on the, uh, horizon they got copies to the press early and not only that, they gave the websites multiple copies so a discussion could happen on their various podcasts rather than just have the one person on staff who got the review copy evangelise it and then have Zelda dominate the conversation after that. I felt it worked really well on the podcasts I listen to and I think that kind of approach could have helped a game like Prey.

To be fair, Arkane makes awesome games with old school PC sensibilities that have little mass market appeal outside their core audience. I am not sure how you market them better.

Get copies to people before release. TV advertising. Any sort of effort.

Ashtar

Where's Bruno?!
Anyway good for Mario bad for prey but expected, once again Bethesda policy shoots them in the foot. If the review embargo was days before the release it could have rode a positive wave of impressions to an easy victory but instead they'll have to make up for limp sales by aggressively slashing prices.
It's s good thing they got that half a billy from Facebook

Granjinha

I dont think that's really true. Both dishonored 1 and evil within did really well for bethesda. I guess the review policy Is actually hurting them nowadays

Hasney

I dont think that's really true. Both dishonored 1 and evil within did really well for bethesda. I guess the review policy Is actually hurting them nowadays

Yeah, I meant the policy is hurting Dishonoured 2 as it was after their weird policy shift. Evil Within and the original Dishonoured had the standard process.

it released friday

My question is why in the hell was this merged with last weeks charts? Very confusing to say the least

It's always posted in the previous weeks thread until Bruno gets the new thread up.

EGM1966

That's really bad, right? I'm afraid we might be dealing with a bomba, sadly.
For an SP title like Prey I'd say it's alright actually. Not amazing but solid for PC. If they'd got some reviews out for launch plus s but more advertising could have been higher.

PC games like this tend to be little less front loaded I believe so legs eith good WoM should be ok.

Seems like it did a lot worse on console though.

TBH I think the title didn't work for the game and caused confusion and I think the hold on reviews hurt more than helped too.

In short another mishandled launch IMHO.

Top Bottom