• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 22, 2015

Steroyd

Splatoon was advertised quite a lot. Was watching CN and Disney Channel with my cousin and saw the adverts come frequently. Nice to see Nintendo is being serious about this game.

Yeah, a few of the youtubers I follow have covered it as well over the past week, I'll be damned, it seems Nintendo does get how youtube works.

Pal threads aren't the same without the body building gifs :p

16 (10) PS4 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 (KOCH MEDIA)
19 (07) XBO FARMING SIMULATOR 15 (KOCH MEDIA)

tumblr_inline_mpme5eEIHX1qz4rgp.gif

I might be doing this wrong.

Glass

What happened to the physical sales of Witcher for PC? Is the fall off that strong after the first week?

Ufortunately ranking does not paint a full picture.

Even if 3rd it could be 17k @ 24.99/29.99 which is pretty disasterous.

Not really. There's only about 12 Wii U owners in the UK, so that would be a 1417% attach rate, which is pretty good, IMO.

Seriously. Does anyone know official numbers for the Wii-U install base in the UK?

A few hundred thousand, I think. It was nearly 100k around the beginning of 2013, and I think it's slowly climbed from there to a modest few hundred K. I don't recall any news about it being higher than that (certainly not through the 1 million barrier).

I don't think we have had Wii U numbers in the UK for a long while.

The only thing i remember is PS4 outselling Wii U LTD in the UK on day 1 of PS4 launch

A few hundred thousand, I think. It was nearly 100k around the beginning of 2013, and I think it's slowly climbed from there to a modest few hundred K. I don't recall any news about it being higher than that (certainly not through the 1 million barrier).

No official number, huh?
So.. A guess of 350K to 500K for the Wii-U or something? And I assume most of that would be from launch too? That paints a bleak picture

‘Splatoon’ becomes the 5th fastest selling Wii U game
The other four would be Mario Kart, Smash ,NSMBU and 3D world?
Just guessing.

No official number, huh?
So.. A guess of 350K to 500K for the Wii-U or something? And I assume most of that would be from launch too? That paints a bleak picture

Just guessing.

Launch was only about 40k or so

Shantom

No official number, huh?

Just guessing.

Its launch was terrible (40K first week IIRC). I think the 350K estimate might be a bit high, but I have nothing to back that up.

No official number, huh?

Its launch was terrible (40K first week IIRC). I think the 350K estimate might be a bit high, but I have nothing to back that up.

40K first week, 80k by January 2013. I think it climbed up to over 150k+ by the end of 2013 (half-remembered figures, so could be wrong!) and has slowly rumbled on since then. I'd have thought sub-500k, but perhaps somewhere around 250-300k would be about right, but sales have been pretty poor in the UK.

EDIT:

2.56 million Wii U sold in "Other", according to Nintendo's own most recent figures, I think. As of January 2015, 510k of those were sold in France, and I'd imagine Germany is somewhere around the same mark. The UK as the next biggest market in "Other" (I think - can anyone correct?) would likely account for another few hundred thousand units, with the other 1 million or so going between Australia/NZ and the other larger Euro markets.

Completely forgot it was THAT bad. wow...

It has had 2 christmases since then so I'd imagine it's over 300k by now, perhaps not by much though

So a 300K to 350K guess? Out of the 9 million+ WW install base. That's...depressing.
Hope we'll get some official numbers one day.

elelunicy

What happened to the physical sales of Witcher for PC? Is the fall off that strong after the first week?

Lol just noticed that. Funny considering it was a PC series originally and couldn't even stay in the chart for a second week.

21 (36) PC THE SIMS 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
__ (03) PC THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)

Lol just noticed that. Funny considering it was a PC series originally and couldn't even stay in the chart for a second week.

21 (36) PC THE SIMS 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
__ (03) PC THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
To be fair it's physical copies only.

jaina

On another note, Splatoon is the #1 stolen game in the UK for the same week.

And I assume all the lorry copies are counted as sales because GAME has to write them off? In addition to the standard editions they are sending to the pre-order people.

Gaming soars in Southeast Asia, and local developers follow

SINGAPORE -- Southeast Asia is the world's fastest-growing gaming market, as the expanding middle class becomes increasingly reliant on mobile devices, a research company reported recently.

Newzoo, based in the Netherlands, estimates compound annual growth of 28.8% for 2013 to 2017 in Southeast Asia's gaming market, including console, online and mobile games. This exceeds projections for other emerging regions such as Latin America at 14.2% and eastern Europe at 14.7%.

Within Southeast Asia, game revenue in 2014 was highest in Thailand at $230.3 million, followed by Malaysia with $214.2 million and Singapore with $201.6 million. Indonesia stood fourth at $181.1 million despite its large population.

There were huge disparities among countries in the amount spent per gamer. Singaporeans are the highest spenders in the region by far, averaging $189.30 a year.

Mobile gamers splurge the most. "When looking at players by platform, tablet and mobile phone gamers have the highest average yearly spend compared to players on other screens," Newzoo's report said. Malaysian gamers spend $32.61 per year, with 27% of them using all four types of devices: computers, smartphones, consoles and tablets.

Other emerging countries, where the population has just discovered games through mobile phones, are spending much less. Indonesian gamers spend only $9.12 per year, while those in the Philippines spend $8.76.

Southeast Asia is fundamentally attractive for game producers, Newzoo said. Some countries in the region, such as Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines, boast many English speakers, allowing popular games from Europe and the U.S. to succeed in the region.

In the Philippines, Western titles occupied as many as 15 spots on Apple's top 20 app ranking in January. Globally well-known titles such as "Clash of Clans," "Hay Day" and "Candy Crush Saga" are among popular games in Southeast Asia. Social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and mobile chat applications also are popular in the region, helping in the spread of news on game trends and formation of online gaming communities.

Local companies are banking on the trend as well, and some have reached out to gamers beyond their country. Thailand, with the largest game revenue in the region and relatively high per-capita spending on games, has the lead. Local mobile game developer GameMaker runs mobile games in six Southeast Asian countries. Vietnam's VNG Corp., which runs online game platform Vinagames, has expanded into other online services such as mobile chat apps.

Indonesia is another key market, with its large, young population. Indonesian game producer Touchten logged 2.5 million unique users with its mobile game "Infinite Sky" and 1.9 million with a newer game, "Ramen Chain." Touchten co-founder Roki Soeharyo is optimistic about the growth of game producing locally.

"I think there is a steady improvement in the quality and quantity of mobile game developers" in Indonesia and Southeast Asia, he said. "This will likely translate to better traction for locally developed games."

The challenge in Indonesia is the low penetration and unfamiliarity of online payment, Soeharyo said. He views local companies as having an advantage in adjusting their business models to consumer spending habits online. For example, Indonesian users do not typically spend on in-app purchases, he said, and so local companies can focus their monetization efforts on ads.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Gaming-soars-in-Southeast-Asia-and-local-developers-follow

And I assume all the lorry copies are counted as sales because GAME has to write them off? In addition to the standard editions they are sending to the pre-order people.

Doubt it, they'll count as sold (shipped) for Nintendo but I wouldn't have thought they'd count as sales for chart purposes

Donos

PC sales are pretty much shifted to digital with Steam / Origin / GoG.com etc.
Regions like Germany still have a respectable PC retail market but WW it's surely a different picture. Services like Steam often have preorder bonuses or good discounts on their digital sales, so there is not really a big draw to buy physical besides Boxart and reselling. Add Key-Sellers into the mix and there is no need to walk to MediaMarkt/Saturn/yourElectronicRetailShop.

Bruno MB

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 22, 2015 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) PS4 THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
02 (NE) WIU SPLATOON (NINTENDO)
03 (02) PC THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (03) XBO THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
05 (06) PS4 PROJECT CARS (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
06 (__) PS4 DRIVECLUB (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
07 (07) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
08 (10) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (08) PC GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
10 (05) PS3 LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
11 (28) PS4 MINECRAFT - PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
12 (46) PS4 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
13 (04) PS4 LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
14 (14) PS3 MINECRAFT - PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
15 (11) PS4 WOLFENSTEIN: THE OLD BLOOD (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
16 (15) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
17 (16) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
18 (18) 3DS PUZZLE & DRAGONS Z + PUZZLE & DRAGONS: SUPER MARIO BROS. EDITION (NINTENDO)
19 (61) PS4 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
20 (20) 3DS POKÉMON: OMEGA RUBIN (NINTENDO)
21 (12) PS4 FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER - LIMITED EDITION (KOCH MEDIA)
22 (22) PC LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
23 (23) 3DS POKÉMON: ALPHA SAPHIR (NINTENDO)
24 (25) PS4 BATTLEFIELD: HARDLINE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
25 (27) PC DIE SIMS 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
26 (21) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)
27 (36) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)
28 (09) 360 LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
29 (24) WIU KIRBY UND DER REGENBOGEN-PINSEL (NINTENDO)
30 (58) PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT)
31 (32) WIU MARIO PARTY 10 (NINTENDO)
32 (31) 3DS SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS (NINTENDO)
33 (17) PC WOLFENSTEIN: THE OLD BLOOD (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
34 (35) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
35 (29) PC DIE SIMS 4: AN DIE ARBEIT (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
36 (80) PS4 THE CREW (UBISOFT)
37 (30) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA’S MASK 3D (NINTENDO)
38 (26) PS4 BLOODBORNE (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
39 (37) PS3 WATCH DOGS - BONUS EDITION (UBISOFT)
40 (__) PS3 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
41 (38) PC CITIES: SKYLINES (KOCH MEDIA)
42 (34) PC EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2: SCANDINAVIA (RONDOMEDIA)
43 (44) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
44 (33) PC PROJECT CARS (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
45 (42) 360 MINECRAFT - XBOX 360 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
46 (47) WIU SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR WII U (NINTENDO)
47 (__) PS3 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
48 (__) PS4 INFAMOUS: FIRST LIGHT (AK TRONIC)
49 (41) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
50 (62) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Top 50

PS4 - 17
PC - 9
PS3 - 8
3DS - 8
WIU - 4
360 - 3
XBO - 1

Raist

Banned
Seriously. Does anyone know official numbers for the Wii-U install base in the UK?

I think the last reliable estimate we had was when the PS4 and XB1 launched.
PS4 sales (250k) outsold the WiiU LTD, while the XB1 (150k) nearly missed it.

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 22, 2015 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) PS4 THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
02 (NE) WIU SPLATOON (NINTENDO)
03 (02) PC THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (03) XBO THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
05 (06) PS4 PROJECT CARS (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
06 (__) PS4 DRIVECLUB (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)

Big bump for DC. Is there any big deals of DC for this bump ?

Top Bottom