• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 30, 2017

L.O.R.D

Someone put the distorted Crash gif over this weeks Chart.

crash4f04b.gif

iR3p0BL.gif

i can't combine them.

I think the amount of consoles and the price are obviously aiding Crash but the biggest reason for the success is because it is Crash. I don't think every lower priced game can outdo Splatoon 2.

01 (01) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 21,000 / > 200,000 (-28%)
02 (02) SPLATOON 2 (NINTENDO) - 12,000 / 40,000 (-56%)
03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 10,000

Code:
[Week 22, 2015] Splatoon (Nintendo) - 17,671 / NEW
[Week 23, 2015] Splatoon (Nintendo) - 8,836 / 26,507 (-50%)

[Week 28, 2017] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - 28,000 / NEW
[Week 29, 2017] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - 12,000 / 40,000 (-56%)

Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training was finally released and debuted at No.12 in the 3DS charts. It was well worth the 5 year wait!

So Splatoon 2 honestly isn't even doing that badly, a bit over 50% improved on the original.

It's just Crash is doing that absurdly well.

Splatoon 2 is doing great on a system with a .uh smaller install base than the PS4. I picked up my copy this week and am not disappointed. I totally don't get the reverence for Crash but I was a SEGA kid and avoided the first PlayStation and the Bandicoot was already irrelevant by the time I got a PS2. GOOD for Crash though. I'd love to see this usher in an age of 32bit remakes/remasters.

People not understanding why Crash is doing better then Splatoon 2 have missed the Retro comeback trend of the last 10 years or so, it seems. In the last decade we've seen the return of 2D Mario, Donkey Kong Country and Rare 3D platformers.

Crash is an exceedingly polished remake of 3 fantastic games who's genre has gone out of style for western publishers for the last 20 years. Lots of pent-up demand that is being fulfilled right now. It is glorious, I say. GLORIOUS!

m.i.s.

Banned
Crash was the number 1 selling game in the world in June so I guess everyone just has weird tastes

Yes, indeed. Salty N-fans?

The Crash Bandicoot series has been a commercial success. As of 2007, the series altogether has sold over 50 million units worldwide.[114] According to Gamasutra, the first Crash Bandicoot game has sold 6.8 million units as of November 2003,[115] making it the seventh best-selling PlayStation game of all time. Cortex Strikes Back sold 3.87 million units in the U.S.,[116] while Warped sold 3.76 million.[116] The last 2 games on the PlayStation console, Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash, sold 1.9 and 1.6 million units in the U.S. respectively.[116] 'Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, which has sold 1.95 million units in the U.S.[116]

The Crash Bandicoot series is one of the few Western video game series to find blockbuster success in Japan. Cortex Strikes Back and Warped sold 1.3 and 1.4 million units in the country respectively,[117] while the PlayStation 2 version of Wrath of Cortex sold 203 thousand units.[118]

Wiki

Crash Launch in UK bigger than Horizon

Humdinger

Can anyone tell me how PAL compares to NPD, in terms of their sales numbers? What is the approximate ratio, PAL to NPD? I know PAL is much smaller, but is it like 10% the size of NPD, or what?

Can anyone tell me how PAL compares to NPD, in terms of their sales numbers? What is the approximate ratio, PAL to NPD? I know PAL is much smaller, but is it like 10% the size of NPD, or what?

lol, 10% is the number you came up with?

Seriously though, you're comparing two completely different things. NPD is a company which tracks sales in a number of different countries (including some PAL countries) but is mainly known for its US data on GAF. PAL is a thrown together region based on old TV standards and includes a shitload of different countries (from Iceland to India, then down to South Africa and across to Aus and NZ), some of which don't even have sales tracked. If you want to compare PAL vs NA then I believe they're roughly the same size. I'm sure Bruno could give you a better answer than that though.

Humdinger

lol, 10% is the number you came up with?

Seriously though, you're comparing two completely different things. NPD is a company which tracks sales in a number of different countries (including some PAL countries) but is mainly known for its US data on GAF. PAL is a thrown together region based on old TV standards and includes a shitload of different countries (from Iceland to India, then down to South Africa and across to Aus and NZ), some of which don't even have sales tracked. If you want to compare PAL vs NA then I believe they're roughly the same size. I'm sure Bruno could give you a better answer than that though.

Let me clarify. I'm not asking about all PAL territories. I'm asking about the UK. Specifically, I'm asking how the UK sales data (covered by PAL) compares to US sales data (covered by NPD). 10% was just a guess.

Anyone got a more accurate figure?

Shin

Banned
Bruno, Denmark and Finnish sites don't exists anymore at least not the URL you linked.
Not sure about that French site either, it's rather messy and doesn't seem to have a chart.

Let me clarify. I'm not asking about all PAL territories. I'm asking about the UK. Specifically, I'm asking how the UK sales data (covered by PAL) compares to US sales data (covered by NPD). 10% was just a guess.

Anyone got a more accurate figure?

As I said in my last post, PAL isn't a company, it's a region. GFK tracks UK sales.

I don't really consider them a particularly trustworthy source but Newzoo's estimates put the UK market at roughly 16.7% of the US market:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373067

Humdinger

As I said in my last post, PAL isn't a company, it's a region. GFK tracks UK sales.

I don't really consider them a particularly trustworthy source but Newzoo's estimates put the UK market at roughly 16.7% of the US market:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373067

Sorry about my bungling of the term "PAL." It's a territory, not a company, got it. I've only begun paying attention to UK sales recently, so the terms are unfamiliar to me. NPD figures have gotten hazy, so I'm looking to UK sales as a sort of corollary, to get a gauge on how games are selling. I know there are differences between US and UK, but there seems to be a lot of similarity, too.

The reason I asked about the UK/US ratio, btw, was because I was trying to estimate in my head how much Crash may have sold in the US.

Sorry about my bungling of the term "PAL." It's a territory, not a company, got it. I've only begun paying attention to UK sales recently, so the terms are unfamiliar to me. NPD figures have gotten hazy, so I'm looking to UK sales as a sort of corollary, to get a gauge on how games are selling. I know there are differences between US and UK, but there seems to be a lot of similarity, too.

The reason I asked about the UK/US ratio, btw, was because I was trying to estimate in my head how much Crash may have sold in the US.
You mean beyond the >400K we got for June?

Humdinger

You mean beyond the >400K we got for June?

Yes, a cumulative total, through the current week being tracked here. Bruno said it was ">200K" on the first page, and I'm assuming that is cumulative total for the UK. Assuming a 20% ratio, that would mean crash is at about a million in the US. Just a guess, of course. Maybe Crash is a lot more popular in the UK than in the US.

No problem.

While the US and UK markets are often very similar, I'm not sure how much Crash's success in the UK (and throughout the rest of Europe) will correlate with US sales because the history of the platformer genre is so different in the two markets.

gtj1092

You missed:

- Crash being deeply ingrained in European video game culture
- Crash being cheaper
- PS4 install base >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Switch install base

I doubt Nintendo Switch install-base has even reached the ltd sales of Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy. There is no point in comparing one game to each other to measure their performance.

Crash is performing incredibly well and Splatoon 2 is performing very well too.

About 300k Switch owners against more than 10x as many PS4 in households Also Splatoon 2 is a full price games while the Crash nSane is a budget title.

Its really not that difficult to understand xD

Splatoon 2 is doing great on a system with a .uh smaller install base than the PS4. I picked up my copy this week and am not disappointed. I totally don't get the reverence for Crash but I was a SEGA kid and avoided the first PlayStation and the Bandicoot was already irrelevant by the time I got a PS2. GOOD for Crash though. I'd love to see this usher in an age of 32bit remakes/remasters.

Splatoon 2 debuts at #1 in France

There has been at least one Switch game in the top 5 in France since it's launch.

So as expected its not just the price and user base advantage in the UK. Different games have different levels of popularity in different countries.

So as expected its not just the price and user base advantage in the UK. Different games have different levels of popularity in different countries.

The difference between the Splatoon 1 debut and Crash was less than 1000 units. We actually dont know if Splatoon and Crash are much different than the UK numbers in France.

gtj1092

Obviously yes. UK is one of the less Nintendo-friendly major markets.

Ok and the people I quoted blamed the user base and price difference. But if those were the only factors all ps4 games would sell more than any switch game. Crash is simply more popular than splatoon in the UK.

Why are those the May stats for Germany? biu-online.de already has June numbers
because so far nobody was nice enough to do the transcription.
Just trying to help:

yW8JH.png

Germany:
June 2017 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
02 (NE) TEKKEN 7 (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
04 (06) HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
05 (01) MARIO KART 8 (NINTENDO)
06 (04) FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (05) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
08 (09) OVERWATCH (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (NE) ARMS (NINTENDO)
10 (10) TOM CLANY’S GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS (UBISOFT)
11 (15) CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
12 (13) BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
13 (12) MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT / NINTENDO / SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
14 (RE) UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF’S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
15 (02) PREY 2017 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
16 (08) INJUSTICE 2 (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
17 (NE) DIRT 4 (CODEMASTERS)
18 (RE) THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT GOTY EDITION (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
19 (RE) RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD (CAPCOM)
20 (17) MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Renna Hazel

Ok and the people I quoted blamed the user base and price difference. But if those were the only factors all ps4 games would sell more than any switch game. Crash is simply more popular than splatoon in the UK.

While this is probably true about Crash being more popular, userbase does have a LOT to do with this here. Switch just launched several months ago and many people who want one cannot find it still. Splatoon 2 obviously isn't selling at it's max potential so we'll have to see how it's legs fare as more Switch units hit the market.

Top Bottom