• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 36, 2010

agm2502

Impressed that Sports champions is second, a few other Move titles in the chart as well, seems that Move is doing alright.

Withnail

Great numbers for Halo.

Also good to see Sports Champions doing well. It's a much better game than it looks. :D

Other Move software doesn't seem to have done as well. Still I think this chart implies a decent opening weekend for Move. It will be interesting to see the drop off for Sports Champions and other Move titles next week.

Frillen

Annoying that we don't get to know anything more about Sports Champion's performance. It's hard to tell how much it sold. There's probably a gap as big as the pacific ocean between Halo Reach and Mafia II PS3 (fourth week).

A decent start for Move, but the next weeks will be much more telling than the first week. Will it drop hard or will it stay?

Elios83

Btw does Ruse PS3 support Move, doesn't it? That could explain the big difference in positions between the PS3 and 360 versions.
Mafia 2 continues to sell, I hope it's the same in the US when we get NPD numbers next month.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Elios83 said:
Btw does Ruse PS3 support Move, doesn't it? That could explain the big difference in positions between the PS3 and 360 versions.
Mafia 2 continues to sell, I hope it's the same in the US when we get NPD numbers next month.
Yeah, RUSE PS3 supports move.

El-Suave

It's nice to see Move selling games on its own or helping to raise sales for third parties that support it at least a little bit.

farnham

Banned
wrowa said:
How often do you want to repeat the same post?

Well the first post was for last week and the second was for this weeks charts. Looks like Metroid is a bomb everywhere.

El-Suave said:
It's nice to see Move selling games on its own or helping to raise sales for third parties that support it at least a little bit.
Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort selling a lot did not help Wii get any third parties though (although the Move already has substantially more thirdparty support then the wii)

szaromir

Banned
Fantastic Reach debut. Many people claimed that Reach would have a weaker debut than Halo and as per usual with Hal, many crows will be served.

Dynoro

Frillen said:
Annoying that we don't get to know anything more about Sports Champion's performance. It's hard to tell how much it sold. There's probably a gap as big as the pacific ocean between Halo Reach and Mafia II PS3 (fourth week).

A decent start for Move, but the next weeks will be much more telling than the first week. Will it drop hard or will it stay?
Yep; would be nice to see numbers for Move as Mafia must have sold tiny numbers after massive drops for the last few of weeks

cw_sasuke said:
DQ is rising again - yes :D

Possibly to do with the new ad push from Nintendo - aimed squarely at the Brain Training/Layton crowd.

As for Move, I think it's worth noting how deceptive chart positions can be, especially at this time of year. Wouldn't be the first time a great position didn't actually translate to great numbers - I've been caught out often by just that with the UK charts.

iceatcs

Cosmonaut X said:
Possibly to do with the new ad push from Nintendo - aimed squarely at the Brain Training/Layton crowd.

As for Move, I think it's worth noting how deceptive chart positions can be, especially at this time of year. Wouldn't be the first time a great position didn't actually translate to great numbers - I've been caught out often by just that with the UK charts.
If you said that, then DQ possible not even rise number sale this week, just position.

iceatcs said:
If you said that, then DQ possible not even rise number sale this week, just position.

Indeed it could. However, a bump like that would usually suggest a rise in sales - however modest.

Case in point - Metroid: Other M hit around 10 on the charts in its first week. On first blush that looks reasonably good, but all that we've heard from Chart Track indicates that sales are generally sluggish across the board so that could have been a fairly weak launch performance in spite of the position.

Opus Angelorum said:
The Sports Champion position is deceptive, Mafia II is under 100k (I think).

Dunno - waiting on the ELSPA awards. It's certainly not doing much in its fourth week, I would imagine, but being sandwiched between it and Halo gives a fairly massive range for SC figures.

Mad_Ban

Didn't Reach have one more day of sales compared to Halo 3? I remember H3 launched on a Wednesday and Reach came out on Tuesday.

Here is Norway for the last few weeks since i havent seen them lately. Hope someone cares :) I'm just happy seeing PC games on a list like this

10oh45e.png

Norway:
Week 37

01 (__) Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
02 (__) Mafia II
03 (__) The Sims 3
04 (__) Battlefield: Bad Company 2
05 (__) Football Manager 2010
06 (__) The Sims 3: Drømmejobben
07 (__) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
08 (__) -
09 (__) World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
10 (__) -

Week 38

01 (01) Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
02 (__) The Sims 3: Full Fart-stæsj
03 (__) R.U.S.E.
04 (02) Mafia II
05 (03) The Sims 3
06 (__) The Sims 3: Drømmejobben
07 (07) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
08 (09) World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
09 (04) Battlefield: Bad Company 2
10 (05) Football Manager 2010

Opus Angelorum said:
The Sports Champion position is deceptive, Mafia II PS3 is under 100k (If my calculations are right).

Probably is,
If combined formats were 100k this week it would make the total sales ~1.3 millionso far.
I woudn't call it deceptive though, unless you read too much into the positions in the first place.

Elspa site is showing the Drupal instillation screen a.t.m o_O

DMeisterJ

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
The Sports Champion position is deceptive, Mafia II PS3 is under 100k (If my calculations are right).

How is it deceptive? We don't know how well it did in relation to either Halo: Reach or Mafia II... Halo: Reach did what? 7-800k units? And even if Mafia II did 10k this week, all we know is that SC did between the two numbers.

Dennis

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Probably is,
If combined formats were 100k this week it would make the total sales ~1.3 millionso far.

Of Mafia 2?

FrankT

Mad_Ban said:
Didn't Reach have one more day of sales compared to Halo 3? I remember H3 launched on a Wednesday and Reach came out on Tuesday.

Aye, although it also outsold it's day one by 37k iirc. 300k versus 263k I believe.

Mafia II has done near 1.3 million in the UK alone? Color me shocked.

DMeisterJ said:
How is it deceptive? We don't know how well it did in relation to either Halo: Reach or Mafia II... Halo: Reach did what? 7-800k units? And even if Mafia II did 10k this week, all we know is that SC did between the two numbers.

...you've just explained how it's deceptive. It's a high position, but it's between a game that did astronomical numbers and one that may be pretty damn low. What looks on the face of it to be a strong position could be pretty poor, decent, great or fantastic and all points inbetween.

Cosmonaut X said:
...you've just explained how it's deceptive. It's a high position, but it's between a game that did astronomical numbers and one that may be pretty damn low. What looks on the face of it to be a strong position could be pretty poor, decent, great or fantastic and all points inbetween.

That's not really deceptive, it's just uninformative. But that's PAL charts for you ;)

Jtyettis said:

I never said that! It's sold ~226% of its launch week total, and this week is ~17% of its launch week, that's all I know. I just borrowed the 100k number from Opus Angelorum's post.

Kinan

Sports Champions also above mafia2 in the value chart and in all prices chart, so that should signify a healthy lead of SC over mafia, I would assume.

Dennis

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Aye, although it also outsold it's day one by 37k iirc. 300k versus 263k I believe.

Why? It was a generally well recieved game with a LOT of marketing.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:

That's not 'deception'. That's just a lack of information, and this has always been the case with Chart-Track... If that's the case, every number on the chart is 'deceptive'.

dolemite

Graphics Horse said:
Probably is,
I woudn't call it deceptive though, unless you read too much into the positions in the first place.

Mafia II is probably well below 100k for this week, the entire market was only 625 000 units as of last week:
The UK games market suffered its worst
weekly result since May 2006. The games
market plummeted 17 per cent to £11.8 million,
while units fell to 14 per cent to 624,806.
MCVUK

FrankT

DennisK4 said:
Why? It was a generally well recieved game with a LOT of marketing.

Well mid 70s I would say is ok recieved game. With that said I see no way of it doing decent numbers in the US. But I guess we shall see next month. Lower end top ten NPD perhaps. That would put it an average of 400k+ per SKU so far in the US and no way is that happening. Has it been doing those numbers in the rest of the EU?

dolemite said:
Mafia II is probably well below 100k for this week, the entire market was only 625 000 units as of last week:

MCVUK

Thanks, That's interesting. Previous issues show the market rose about 90k when Mafia launched, so it will have made a significant impact.

I think it's safe to say it's sold over 200k total, but stop quoting my guesses as facts!

Prine said:
Selling more than Halo 3 opening eh, and they said it wouldnt happen. What are they to say now?

:)

szaromir said:
Fantastic Reach debut. Many people claimed that Reach would have a weaker debut than Halo and as per usual with Hal, many crows will be served.

I have always been confident that reach would outsell halo 3 but this hasn't happened yet. Halo 3 had great legs so it will be interesting to see how reach holds up. With the much larger install base and the strong 360 sales due to the slim i think reach may have decent legs.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I might be wrong, but I could have sworn someone figured out that ODST was less than 200k last year (may have been the sales awards). Which would put Reach at less than 400k. Seems kinda low since MW2 did over a million.

Can't find a link though. Edit.. Found it Link post 72. Won't let me link the actual post on the iPad for some reason.
It got the award for 200k but not 300k. Had 2 weeks in September and dropped 75% in the second. So the most it could have sold week 1 was 240k and the least 170ish.

Road

I think Halo 3 sold around 470k first week. So Reach would be more than 400k.

The UK’s love-affair with Rockstar’s PS2 San Andreas almost 3 years ago is still the benchmark for week 1 and lifetime sales. However, the PS2 installed base back then was around 6.6m (after 4 years) – Microsoft have to make do with ‘just’ 1.4m in less than 2 years. Released on Wednesday 26th September for the first time on Microsoft’s Xbox 360 format, ‘Halo 3’ was bought by 1 in 3 Xbox 360 owners in its first week, whereas 1 in 6 Xbox owners bought ‘Halo 2’ and back in PS2’s heyday (week 44 2004) 1 in 10 PS2 owners bought ‘San Andreas’.
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=484&s=1111

Top Bottom