• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey announces that he has a new company

Personal politics aside, I can appreciate his intelligence and what he has done for the VR industry. I hope that he can continue to jumpstart new industries in tech.

Whatever came of the Bethesda lawsuit? I ask because didn't Bethesda basically try to suggest that he was too dumb to make a headset on his own? Lol

Bold One

Can racism be a differing opinion? Of course it can. Does it make it the only differing opinion? Of course not. Stop asking all these questions--talk to me like you would if you were an adult, not an inquiring child. I've said it enough times if you had bothered to use your reading skills--his intellect and abilities are of great value to this world. VR isn't just about gaming, it's about the potential it has in so many other fields, like medical. This would be a GOOD thing, that could contrast the BAD things he's done. He's shown interest in helping to make VR more than just a machine for gaming--a machine that can help human beings. Reject this future for your own pitiful distaste of the guy, I guess.

The only child here is you. If you think Luckey's supposed genius should absolve him of heinous views and the possible damage he's caused by funding institutional hatred.

You keep falling at the first hurdle thinking he is a good thing for VR when in fact its the opposite, (if you are truly passionate about VR, he should be the last person you want to be associated with it), his covert/overt racism flies in the face of your constant championing of his endeavours to make human lives better. You sound like a man of privilege, so I suppose the struggles and pleas of those not blessed with the right pigmentation are nought but white-noise to you - so long as you can strap Luckey's privilege visor to face.

I asked you if you thought racism was a differing opinion you said it is. By that claim you have forfeited all rights to be treated, replied or considered with any modicum of respect or consideration - you have taken a stance that states that simply, that the existence of your fellow human beings is open for debate and discussion and that makes you complicit. At least Luckey owns his vile toxicity, you cover yours up in hilarious and counter-intuitive attempt at progressing the Human species.

Edit: You know what, I don't see what difference seeing it will make. I got the general gist. And yes he's a fuckwad. I just thought I must be missing something beyond the memes crap. The stuff I had before I think is still relevant. Get what we can from him and toss him out with the bath water.

It's pitiful when you reject a genius who has contributed to VR more than anybody else just for personal politics. Keep showing my true colors? I've been completely honest about my feelings towards the guy. The fact that you say that I've revealed my true colors just means you haven't read a single other one of my posts. You aren't special, guy. I wouldn't reveal my "true colors" to the likes of you.

People don't dislike Palmer because he's a Republican voter, or he is in favour of tax cuts for the wealthy. They dislike him because he funneled his money directly into an alt-right aligned organisation, and the alt-right is a white supremacist movement.

Equating this to 'personal politics' is a cowardly way of trying to give the impression of persecution, when people really just aren't willing to support the projects of a man who's aligned himself with a hate group. The Vive seems to work pretty well, and last I checked Gabe Newell has never taken out newspaper ads advocating for the KKK, so there are options out there for people to support VR without directly giving money to human garbage.

Alucrid

Banned
The topic at hand is that Palmer Luckey has announced that he has a new company being formed for VR, he plans to continue to be active in VR. The thread turned it into, we hate Lucky Palmer, he's a white supremacist. So you can either help by providing the smoking gun so we can have less finger pointing and more relevant information as to the new current context of the article as discussed by GAF. Or you can continue to be passive aggressive. Up to you. One clearly helps, the other... well you get the picture.

yes and people expressed their distaste at palmer luckey continuing to be involved in vr. also you appear to know enough to call out Nimble America by name. me not doing the legwork for you isn't stopping you from finding out more about the situation if you're truly earnest about doing so, but it looks like you really aren't. my previous post was pretty direct. why else would i quote you.

Arttemis

It's pitiful when you reject a genius who has contributed to VR more than anybody else just for personal politics. Keep showing my true colors? I've been completely honest about my feelings towards the guy. The fact that you say that I've revealed my true colors just means you haven't read a single other one of my posts. You aren't special, guy. I wouldn't reveal my "true colors" to the likes of you.
Genuine, LOL. This guy is embroiled in legal accusations of IP theft. He is a man who created a successful Kickstarter.

As for your disgusting views, the only thing you've not shown is the exact degree of your raging obsession with hand waving institutionalized racism and support for racist douchebags. Right now, everyone here knows you're emotionally invested in this entitled, morally bankrupted tech thief. Regardless of what you may think, you're incredibly transparent. No one with a conscience likes what they see when look anywhere remotely in the direction of your vile rhetoric, even when it's 'disguised'.

NewFresh

Sad to see people still equating racism and bigotry with politics.

If you don't care that he is who he is and will buy his products regardless, then just say so. Don't try to say people disliking him because of his "politics" is unfair.

RRockman

Banned

You keep saying this like as if it's a really big deal? It's not like he is leading the race against cancer, or in the process of ending world hunger, it's just a cool gizmo. In the grand scheme of things it's not that important to look past funding racist groups for. Why do you value your gizmos over people's lives?

HyGogg

Banned
Genuine, LOL. This guy is embroiled in legal accusations of IP theft. He is a man who created a successful Kickstarter.
IP theft is kind of a bad way to put it. He broke an incredibly broadly worded NDA that was supposed to relate to a demo of DOOM but got applied to shit that had nothing to do with the reason he signed the NDA. He then promised that said game (which was planned for his platform) would come to said platform based on the words of a high ranking executive, but without an actual legal contract, and then got hit with "false designation" when the company changed their mind many months later.

I don't know if that makes him an IP thief or a guy who just takes people at their word without getting his lawyers involved.

HyGogg

Banned
People don't dislike Palmer because he's a Republican voter, or he is in favour of tax cuts for the wealthy. They dislike him because he funneled his money directly into an alt-right aligned organisation, and the alt-right is a white supremacist movement.
But not actually. To be clear, I'm not a Palmer apologist, I don't like the guy or what he did, but the "alt-right" affiliation was a detail literally made up by some of the people reporting the story to make it buzzier.

Their mission was more to attack Hillary on "the shit that other people won't touch," including the flagrantly false conspiracy bullshit. That's pretty dark in its own right, but has nothing to do with white supremacy. In reality they only ever got around to putting up one single billboard that just had a picture of Hillary that said "Too big to jail." That's it.

I think what Palmer was doing was pretty cynical and shitty and it definitely made me question how much I want to support him, but it's bad enough to call it what it was without having to make up other dimensions to it.

Blake Harris (author of Console Wars) did a piece tracking how this story got distorted. It's worth a read:
https://uploadvr.com/fake-news-happens-reporting-palmer-luckey-nimble-america/

HyGogg

Banned
Whatever came of the Bethesda lawsuit? I ask because didn't Bethesda basically try to suggest that he was too dumb to make a headset on his own? Lol
90% of it was thrown out, but Palmer in particular got hit with breaking NDA, and they got hit with "false designation" for using Doom in their Kickstarter video/rewards without an actual contract. Most troublingly, they got fined for using code Carmack wrote while he was still at Bethesda.

The last part is still being litigated -- Oculus claims that this finding was with regard to work-in-progress code that didn't make it to the final release (a claim backed up by the fact that it was a one-time award, not a royalty), and Bethesda is claiming that the code is in everything they ever have or ever will release and that they should own like 25% of the business and pull every piece of hardware, software, or driver from the market.

Oculus was dumb and did a lot of shit on handshake agreements without contracts in the early days, all while dealing with an extremely litigious company run by a spiteful man-child. That's kind of all there is too it, really.

yes and people expressed their distaste at palmer luckey continuing to be involved in vr. also you appear to know enough to call out Nimble America by name. me not doing the legwork for you isn't stopping you from finding out more about the situation if you're truly earnest about doing so, but it looks like you really aren't. my previous post was pretty direct. why else would i quote you.

But not actually. To be clear, I'm not a Palmer apologist, I don't like the guy or what he did, but the "alt-right" affiliation was a detail literally made up by some of the people reporting the story to make it buzzier.

Their mission was more to attack Hillary on "the shit that other people won't touch," including the flagrantly false conspiracy bullshit. That's pretty dark in its own right, but has nothing to do with white supremacy. In reality they only ever got around to putting up one single billboard that just had a picture of Hillary that said "Too big to jail." That's it.

I think what Palmer was doing was pretty cynical and shitty and it definitely made me question how much I want to support him, but it's bad enough to call it what it was without having to make up other dimensions to it.

Blake Harris (author of Console Wars) did a piece tracking how this story got distorted. It's worth a read:

This is what I keep seeing from ARS Technica, NYPost, NYMag, Engadget and a variety of other sites. They have a brief statement from Luckey saying he gave them money for memes, and they put up a billboard. I see him apologizing for bringing politics into VR. And some other generic crap. This is why I'm confused. On one hand it looks like he's really involved, on the other that he just gave money to some people who ran with it and are generally the kind of trash you find on 4chan's POL. I'm just not sure what the truth is regarding the depth of his involvement. So I was asking for better information than what has been provided. But there seems to be a lack of it. Honestly he just seems like a fucking typical unsavy engineer like many I know. Like it or not a lot of engineers are more conservative, libertarian type people. I really don't know why, as it doesn't seem to follow logic, which most claim to prize greatly. But they are. I just want to know if the white supremacy bit is more of GAF's making or if there's a really strong case for it. Because I haven't really seen one yet. It's kind of the same way they say PewDiePie is a white supremacists, when I think he's likely just a moron.

Alucrid

Banned

okay, none of that contradicts what was reported in the daily beast article. yes they only put up that one billboard because that's all they got around to before the story broke. but guess who he cofounded nimble america with? moderators from r/the donald. what festers over there? well, you probably have a good guess. i'm not sure how much more alt-right you can get than working alongside people from that subreddit

BaasRed

Banned
90% of it was thrown out, but Palmer in particular got hit with breaking NDA, and they got hit with "false designation" for using Doom in their Kickstarter video/rewards without an actual contract. Most troublingly, they got fined for using code Carmack wrote while he was still at Bethesda.

The last part is still being litigated -- Oculus claims that this finding was with regard to work-in-progress code that didn't make it to the final release (a claim backed up by the fact that it was a one-time award, not a royalty), and Bethesda is claiming that the code is in everything they ever have or ever will release and that they should own like 25% of the business and pull every piece of hardware, software, or driver from the market.

Oculus was dumb and did a lot of shit on handshake agreements without contracts in the early days, all while dealing with an extremely litigious company run by a spiteful man-child. That's kind of all there is too it, really.

Yeah Zenimax lawyers are notoriously aggressive. I'd be surprised if they don't win this case against him. Hopefully they win so his pockets get punished for being such scumbag.

okay, none of that contradicts what was reported in the daily beast article. yes they only put up that one billboard because that's all they got around to before the story broke. but guess who he cofounded nimble america with? moderators from r/the donald. what festers over there? well, you probably have a good guess. i'm not sure how much more alt-right you can get than working alongside people from that subreddit

See that I did not know. That was not mentioned in any of the articles I found. It's in the daily beast article that he started the PAC with R/the Donald founders?

HyGogg

Banned
This is what I keep seeing from ARS Technica, NYPost, NYMag, Engadget and a variety of other sites. They have a brief statement from Luckey saying he gave them money for memes, and they put up a billboard. I see him apologizing for bringing politics into VR. And some other generic crap. This is why I'm confused. On one hand it looks like he's really involved, on the other that he just gave money to some people who ran with it and are generally the kind of trash you find on 4chan's POL. I'm just not sure what the truth is regarding the depth of his involvement. So I was asking for better information than what has been provided. But there seems to be a lack of it. Honestly he just seems like a fucking typical unsavy engineer like many I know. Like it or not a lot of engineers are more conservative, libertarian type people. I really don't know why, as it doesn't seem to follow logic, which most claim to prize greatly. But they are. I just want to know if the white supremacy bit is more of GAF's making or if there's a really strong case for it. Because I haven't really seen one yet. It's kind of the same way they say PewDiePie is a white supremacists, when I think he's likely just a moron.

So Palmer also lied in his apology. He was affiliated with the group, not just a one time donor bystander, and his poor handling of his bullshit "apology" is one of the reasons I don't have much sympathy for the guy.

I think PewDiePie is a casual racist. "White supremacist" seems a bit grandiose, but you don't really call people the n-word if you're totally cool with black people, in my opinion.

Palmer, I have no idea. He's definitely a product of r/TheDonald, which can be a very racist place, but I don't feel right accusing him of racism when I haven't seen any actual evidence of it. I tend to think rugged individualist "Anyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps" libertarian shit is inherently unfair to the realities of all disadvantaged groups, but it's still a big jump between that and Neo-Nazi/Alt-Right.
There's some crossover, I'm sure, but r/TheDonald is not Alt-Right. They have a lot of racists and don't seem particularly bothered by that, but they aren't 100% based around racism in the way Alt-Right forums like Daily Stormer or r/Altright are/were.

Alucrid

Banned
See that I did not know. That was not mentioned in any of the articles I found. It's in the daily beast article that he started the PAC with R/the Donald founders?

yeah it's really well hidden

10OxBeK.png

So Palmer also lied in his apology. He was affiliated with the group, not just a one time donor bystander, and his poor handling of his bullshit "apology" is one of the reasons I don't have much sympathy for the guy.

I think PewDiePie is a casual racist. "White supremacist" seems a bit grandiose, but you don't really call people the n-word if you're totally cool with black people, in my opinion.

Palmer, I have no idea. He's definitely a product of r/TheDonald, which can be a very racist place, but I don't feel right accusing him of racism when I haven't seen any actual evidence of it. I tend to think rugged individualist "Anyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps" libertarian shit is inherently unfair to the realities of all disadvantaged groups, but it's still a big jump between that and Neo-Nazi/Alt-Right.

i mean, did you not see his (still) girlfriend's twitter account filled with gamergate and racist garbage? or him being interviewed outside a trump rally wearing a "can't stump the trump" shirt? labeling him alt-right is hardly a stretch. and really, what is alt-right but a sanitized moniker for something far more gross.

There's some crossover, I'm sure, but r/TheDonald is not Alt-Right. They have a lot of racists and don't seem particularly bothered by that, but they aren't 100% based around racism in the way Alt-Right forums like Daily Stormer or r/Altright are/were.

why is the daily stormer, a clear white supremacist / neo nazi website being slapped only with the label of alt right? not sure why you're trying to whitewash that shit. and the_donald is like...the poster child of the alt-right movement. what?

HyGogg

Banned
why is the daily stormer, a clear white supremacist / neo nazi website being slapped only with the label of alt right? not sure why you're trying to whitewash that shit. and the_donald is like...the poster child of the alt-right movement. what?
I'm not trying to "whitewash" anything. I find it far more troubling when people try to normalize the alt-right by applying the label to places that aren't explicitly white supremacist. That's not accurate. Alt-Right=full-blown Neo Nazi. The entire history of the word and movement is tied to that meaning.

At the time of this controversy r/AltRight (now banned, but then very active) was at war with r/The_Donald. To us it's all the same shit, but to them, The_donald were cucks for not fully embracing racism as an ethos.
Palmer Luckey is not a good person, theres a reason he lied about who he was supporting politically and why he was posting on reddit anonymously .
Definitely true.

I don't think VR would even be here today without him. Moving forward not so much, I agree. But he is the reason VR is where it is today. Him and Carmack. Not that the tech wasn't there, but it was the shot in the leg from the Oculus kickstarter that launched VR from pipedream to reality and brought in tons of interest.
My point was that without John Carmack's input it would have either been just another Kickstarter that produced nothing, or a half-working novelty item with minimal support.

The ol' GAF "tell me how you really feel", whenever someone dissents.
LOOK AT ME
I'M A VICTIM HERE
I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG

You must have stumbled into the wrong thread--this is about Palmer Luckey, not President Trump.
Luckey is a product of r/TheDonald, you like it or not. And even his "genious" is debatable.
Nice driveby shitpost without any meaningful contribution to the discussion.
Mediocre driveby reply full of your self-righteousness and your peeve to being questioned.

Paganmoon

That uploadvr thread got locked for a reason.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366678&highlight=uploadvr

Palmer Luckey is not a good person, theres a reason he lied about who he was supporting politically and why he was posting on reddit anonymously .

UploadVR are pretty shit anyway. I get (silently) pissed off whenever someone still sources them for VR news.

And I still can't understand people defending racism and white supremacy as a differing political view, what the fuck is the thought process that leads to such a conclusion?

And RE: the shitstain Luckey, I'd argue Valve have done so much more for VR in general than that fuck will ever do. He's not needed in any shape for the future of VR. he has nothing to add.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm not trying to "whitewash" anything. I find it far more troubling when people try to normalize the alt-right by applying the label to places that aren't explicitly white supremacist. That's not accurate. Alt-Right=full-blown Neo Nazi. The entire history of the word and movement is tied to that meaning.

At the time of this controversy r/AltRight (now banned, but then very active) was at war with r/The_Donald. To us it's all the same shit, but to them, The_donald were cucks for not fully embracing racism as an ethos.

Definitely true.

the whole idea of being alt right is to not be explicitly white supremacist. but if you think r/the_donald isn't alt right. what is it? your run of the mill conservative? also wouldn't it be normalizing neo nazis and white supremacists to call the daily stormer an "alt-right forum" and not a neo-nazi and white supremacist site?

Oculus had to pay out half a billion dollars so I'm going to say they were probably onto something there. They said he only had a prototype with no head tracking and no SDK before he started working with Carmack.

Seems to me he was a grifter who needed the support of people much smarter than him to actually build anything. If he didn't come up with the Rift, Sony would have still made the PSVR and Valve/HTC would have still made the Vive and nothing of value would have been lost (other than the Gear VR maybe, which I doubt he had any involvement with.)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The ol' GAF "tell me how you really feel", whenever someone dissents. You must have stumbled into the wrong thread--this is about Palmer Luckey, not President Trump. Nice driveby shitpost without any meaningful contribution to the discussion.

The ol' cannot argue their point, now to complain about hive mind persecution

Oculus had to pay out half a billion dollars so I'm going to say they were probably onto something there. They said he only had a prototype with no head tracking and no SDK before he started working with Carmack.

Seems to me he was a grifter who needed the support of people much smarter than him to actually build anything. If he didn't come up with the Rift, Sony would have still made the PSVR and Valve/HTC would have still made the Vive and nothing of value would have been lost (other than the Gear VR maybe, which I doubt he had any involvement with.)
Apparently, Gear VR concept came into fruition at a meeting between Hooper and Carmack at the Id office...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-oculus-gear-vr-john-carmack-software-lawsuit

Among other things, the Texas court filing claims that Carmack secretly brought Oculus (and former ZeniMax) employee Matt Hooper into id Software’s offices to develop an “attack plan” for mobile VR, which Oculus would later take to Samsung. The Samsung Gear VR was also built on some of the same code as the Oculus Rift, which was the subject of ZeniMax’s earlier lawsuit.

Zenimax won the earlier lawsuit @ $500,000,000.

I came in expecting something, something giving fellatio to Trump, something something racist, etc.... Leaving disappointed.

Yeah...won't be knowingly supporting this dickhead anytime soon.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fuck this white supremacist piece of shit, anything he touches, and anyone giving him the benefit of doubt.
Best part of these threads are the like-minded vermin showing their true colors. Fuck Palmer Luckey.

Someday someone should write a book about Palmer luckey called "A fool and his money" because he seems determined to piss through his fortune as fast as possible.

I'm not sure I believe that. I agree that it's likely Luckey didn't have the skillset that many other talented engineers did. What I mean is, I don't believe Sony or Valve would have invested the resources into the technology in a respectable amount of time without him. I don't think we would have seen anything yet had the Oculus Kickstarter not happened.

I'm not sure I believe that. I agree that it's likely Luckey didn't have the skillset that many other talented engineers did. What I mean is, I don't believe Sony or Valve would have invested the resources into the technology in a respectable amount of time without him. I don't think we would have seen anything yet had the Oculus Kickstarter not happened.

Which means he happened to be at the right place, at the right time, with the right words. Grifters can still make changes in an industry even if they didn't mean to.

Look no further than the current President of the United States.

Blam

On the one hand, most developers lean very left.

On the other hand, many VR developers work in VR because they desperately need VC money to keep existing, and VR/AR is where all the VC money is at the moment.

I suspect he'll sign a lot of developers in need, even if they try not to mention they're being funded by him.

Yeah I can see this being the case since I'm pretty sure most of the VR devs won't be able to get a large sum of money backing them for a VR game.

Sony had been working on VR since 2010.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/3/9/11174194/the-making-of-playstation-vr

Luckey brought a lot of attention and hype to VR but the idea that he is responsible for all the VR headsets available now is just not accurate.

patchday

"Don't think of me as an Oculus person. Just think of me as a horrible racist."

I didnt know this. I already bought an Oculus a few weeks ago but I already was hating this company. They have a 'blacklist' where certain USB 3.0 devices and stuff are not allowed (I didnt know this so bought an usb 3.0 card they do not allow). Also the way they handle their shipping aggravites me greatly too (made mistake not buying at local Best Buy). so definitely won't be getting future Oculus products is how I'm feeling right now

i mean, who cares what the room is. dont let the room change an opinion. ever. thats just dumb

100% agree. I hate when people are afraid to express a view just because they fear being isolated from everyone else present. That said, I'm curious as to where this will go, but being that this guy is who he is, I don't expect I'll be tripping all over myself to follow each new stage in whatever he happens to be working on.

patchday

Not supporting anything VR until this dipshit is out of the industry.

don't be like that. not everyone in VR are a'holes :)

For example, I have a friend that makes VR games as his hobby and he's hoping to hit the market at some point. I bet a lot of other gafs know some hobby VR indies as well

Not supporting anything VR until this dipshit is out of the industry.

Do I think Luckey is an idiot? Yes I do, same with PewDiePie, but I'm not going to boycott everything related to what they do just to make me feel better about myself. There are still those out there who won't touch Oculus because of him. Why deprive myself of enjoying a product because of one bad apple who isn't there any longer?

Top Bottom