• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey announces that he has a new company

Bold One

So every differing viewpoint to you is racism? Only furthering the notion that you fail to acknowledge any opinion that isn't yours

you're the one who implied racism was a differing opinion, you tell me...

Aren't you here defending a known supporter white supremacist?

do you want screen-grabs of his girlfriend's twitter posts?

By supporting him what makes you any different?

and finally, who do you think you're kidding?

livelifelove13

Neo Member
Okay, so what is your purpose in this thread? To tell people we should ignore Palmer Luckey being human trash because he helped make a cool toy?

I responded to the thread like any ol' poster. "Cool! The guy who pioneered VR is doing more VR stuff. I wish him the best of luck, and I hope he doesn't let the haters get to him."

"White supremacist"

"Racist"

It's more than just a cool toy, it's the next big step in video games (this is a video game forum), and possibly the medical field if they can implement neuro-functionality. Fuck me and everyone like me who gets excited about this.

I responded to the thread like any ol' poster. "Cool! The guy who pioneered VR is doing more VR stuff. I wish him the best of luck, and I hope he doesn't let the haters get to him."

"White supremacist"

"Racist"

It's more than just a cool toy, it's the next big step in video games (this is a video game forum), and possibly the medical field if they can implement neuro-functionality. Fuck me and everyone like me who gets excited about this.

Probably because you sound like a cheer leader for a known white supremacist. It's one thing to cheer on VR progress, it's another to actively tell a vile person to "ignore the bog of hate" or whatever it is you said.

This kind of implies you believe the hate isn't warranted. Is that true? Are you okay with his funding of hate groups?

SeanTSC

"White supremacist"

"Racist"

No dude. You're mad because someone is calling out your shit for caring about entertainment over the disgustingly vile shit Palmer has done.

This is one of the most extremely over-privileged things I've ever read.

Palmer literally paid money to white nationalists to spread racism and hate. He paid substantial amounts of money for this specific purpose. That you don't care about this over a field of entertainment tech shows just who you are and where you stand. You stand in a position of not giving a shit about the real hurt to real people that racism and hate cause.

But really, the fact that you consider racism a "political opinion" is all we need to know. It is in fact not a different viewpoint, it is just hatred.

The issue of a creator being a shit human being isn't new. There are those who can separate the creation from the creator and enjoy it for what it is and there are those who choose to take a principled stance on the matter and not support anyone who doesn't deserve it. I can see the argument for both even though I have a preference towards taking a stance when possible.

Skatterd

fcFfjTJ_d.jpg

Guess it needs spelled out again

"White supremacist"

"Racist"

You can be excited about VR without supporting Luckey, He's not the owner of VR, hes not the only person working on VR, his presence isnt required for VR to happen.

As a matter of fact, his name is likely having the opposite effect that these companies want, the oversea's companies likely dont know how toxic his name is and alot of people are going to boycott their products because they dont want to feel like their purchase is funding white supremacy.

Bendeavor

Neo Member

"White supremacist"

"Racist"

You don't see how people would have a problem with you saying "I hope he doesn't let the haters get to him" when the thing people hate about him is his racism? If he let "the haters" influence him, maybe he would stop being so racist.

As to the second bold line, if the shoe fits...

The issue of a creator being a shit human being isn't new. There are those who can separate the creation from the creator and enjoy it for what it is and there are those who choose to take a principled stance on the matter and not support anyone who doesn't deserve it. I can see the argument for both even though I have a preference towards taking a stance when possible.

I can understand not boycotting every person or company you disagree with. It's unreasonable to expect that in this day and age, and would prove an extremely difficult task. Certain groups/companies, deplorable as they may be, have their tendrils in nearly everything.

However, I do take issue with people cheering on known pieces of shit. You can buy their garbage without trying to offer moral support to these assholes lol (and I don't mean you, but the other people in this thread).

It's like sending warm wishes and emotional support to David Duke because he makes a really awesome chili or something. You can enjoy Chik Fil A without kissing their ass on social media, for example (although, I wouldn't).

livelifelove13

Neo Member
you're the one who implied racism was a differing opinion, you tell me...

Aren't you here defending a known supporter white supremacist?

do you want screen-grabs of his girlfriend's twitter posts?

By supporting him what makes you any different?

and finally, who do you think you're kidding?

Can racism be a differing opinion? Of course it can. Does it make it the only differing opinion? Of course not. Stop asking all these questions--talk to me like you would if you were an adult, not an inquiring child. I've said it enough times if you had bothered to use your reading skills--his intellect and abilities are of great value to this world. VR isn't just about gaming, it's about the potential it has in so many other fields, like medical. This would be a GOOD thing, that could contrast the BAD things he's done. He's shown interest in helping to make VR more than just a machine for gaming--a machine that can help human beings. Reject this future for your own pitiful distaste of the guy, I guess.

"White supremacist"

"Racist"

"Fuck the reality of who this guy is, I just want to glorify him despite the fact that he's a white supremacist
because I'd hate to think it's because he is one
and will offer little of value to the industry that others aren't already doing.”

So, to clarify, I just rephrased your statement.

There are a lot of really decent people pushing the things you are interested in. Why advocate for hate?

Compsiox

Banned
No one is even discussing the company and what it might offer. Don't threads usually get closed at this point of derailment?

Well anyway. The more VR content, the better. I want to see if he can deliver something exciting.

Can racism be a differing opinion? Of course it can. Does it make it the only differing opinion? Of course not. Stop asking all these questions--talk to me like you would if you were an adult, not an inquiring child. I've said it enough times if you had bothered to use your reading skills--his intellect and abilities are of great value to this world. VR isn't just about gaming, it's about the potential it has in so many other fields, like medical. This would be a GOOD thing, that could contrast the BAD things he's done. He's shown interest in helping to make VR more than just a machine for gaming--a machine that can help human beings. Reject this future for your own pitiful distaste of the guy, I guess.

So now having a distaste for this asshole is pitiful? Yeah, keep showing where your true colors lie. You're doing a great job so far, it's fairly transparent.

BibiMaghoo

dude, idk, but if he keeps being invited to events and companies want to work with him then maybe, JUST MAYBE, might mean the guy has very clever ideas and knows VR from inside out and can help companies develop VR games & utilities.

It is more likely that the reason is he has the wealth to back such things, not that his individual intellect can especially contribute. People work with all kinds of assholes and it is because they can fund them. Events are as much investment runs as they are to share ideas and discuss future potential and spin out PR for those items. I'm not saying that he is thick, chances are slim that he is, but there are far more basic reasons to work with someone like him.

livelifelove13

Neo Member
You can be excited about VR without supporting Luckey, He's not the owner of VR, hes not the only person working on VR, his presence isnt required for VR to happen.

As a matter of fact, his name is likely having the opposite effect that these companies want, the oversea's companies likely dont know how toxic his name is and alot of people are going to boycott their products because they dont want to feel like their purchase is funding white supremacy.

If you knew about Luckey, you'd know he was a tech wiz. His contributions are invaluable. The VR industry, as it is now, is just a copycat of Luckey's ideas. To toss him to the side because you don't like his politics is worse for the industry than it is better.

If you knew about Luckey, you'd know he was a tech wiz. His contributions are invaluable. The VR industry, as it is now, is just a copycat of Luckey's ideas. To toss him to the side because you don't like his politics is worse for the industry than it is better.

Someone else will come along to take the mantle from him. He's not the first, nor will he be the last to contribute to the tech industry in a big way.

His image, his research, and his products/companies will forever be tainted. This isn't merely a neogaf thing. You should get used to it.

Your original post is just nonsense that has nothing to do with what I asked, acting like people hating on Luckey for funding white supremacy is some trivial annoyance that derails from the real discussion of VR is pathetic and your edit is marginally relevant at best yet still does not address my question at all of why do people, ie actual companies, care about this guy today.

His initial contributions are undeniable. That's not up for debate or a secret. But it's not 2012, it's 2017. VR is a major industry now with tons of huge corporations and companies going all in on it with tons of really brilliant hardware and software engineers that have nothing to do with Luckey. In those 5 years what has Luckey done or shown that has set him apart as being especially unique seeing as his initial work was was relatively easily and quickly picked up by several other companies, and done better in many cases both in quality of product and market penetration by huge margins. So what still makes him such a special snowflake in the VR world that he's still worth listening to and working with? Especially in light of his now very public and abhorrent views and funding activities.

In the immortal words of Janet Jackson; what have you done for me lately? Aside from being a huge PR nightmare for Oculus and Facebook?

Very good at it how? He was an enthusiast whose Kickstarter blew up. What insights has he shown since then that make him such an interesting and unique person in the now very large and diverse VR space to care so much about? Being the first guy to the party doesn't entitle you to anything or make you special in the long run.
His initial contributions are undeniable?

John Carmack's contributions are undeniable. Palmer was a snake oil salesmen until real development was started by others.... Using other's copyrighted material... So...

It’s better for the industry to find a way forward that doesn’t involve a reliance on a white supremacist.

Izcarielo

Banned
It is more likely that the reason is he has the wealth to back such things, not that his individual intellect can especially contribute. People work with all kinds of assholes and it is because they can fund them. Events are as much investment runs as they are to share ideas and discuss future potential and spin out PR for those items. I'm not saying that he is thick, chances are slim that he is, but there are far more basic reasons to work with someone like him.

Yeah, this is also another valid reason

Nephix

Being a minority I can see why people are upset but let's hate the man, not the technology he creates. Whatever he makes it'll benefit someone else in the industry and help them develop their own stuff.
Then we can all say byebye Palmer and go buy that other product instead.

BibiMaghoo

Yes lets not improve VR and content because he's bad.

Curious how far you would take that position. If he murdered Jewish people daily, would advancing VR still be your priority when it comes to discussing him? At what point do you say getting this guy away from VR is better for it? Hypothetically of course.

livelifelove13

Neo Member
[/B]

So now having a distaste for this asshole is pitiful? Yeah, keep showing where your true colors lie. You're doing a great job so far, it's fairly transparent.

It's pitiful when you reject a genius who has contributed to VR more than anybody else just for personal politics. Keep showing my true colors? I've been completely honest about my feelings towards the guy. The fact that you say that I've revealed my true colors just means you haven't read a single other one of my posts. You aren't special, guy. I wouldn't reveal my "true colors" to the likes of you.

However, I do take issue with people cheering on known pieces of shit. You can buy their garbage without trying to offer moral support to these assholes lol (and I don't mean you, but the other people in this thread).

I understand and personally I agree but it's not a simple issue. I hear stuff like "Polanski is a fantastic director and I can't wait for his next movie" and my instictive reaction is to yell at people for supporting a piece of human filth by watching his movies. Then I remember that I also use and enjoy products made by disgusting individuals and truly evil companies and I feel like I can't speak with any authority on the matter.

I try to take principled stances whenever possible but I believe that it's wrong to interpret the enjoyment of a product as an act of support or acceptance towards the individual or company behind it. I don't believe that most people who watch Polanski movies are ok with child rape and I don't believe that most people who want to buy a product from Luckey are ok with racism.

I think you are overvaluing his contributions, both in general, and moving forward.

I don't think VR would even be here today without him. Moving forward not so much, I agree. But he is the reason VR is where it is today. Him and Carmack. Not that the tech wasn't there, but it was the shot in the leg from the Oculus kickstarter that launched VR from pipedream to reality and brought in tons of interest.

livelifelove13

Neo Member
C'mon, don't be a coward and just admit it: you don't care of VR at all, you just want to shitpost those numbnuts at NeoGAF who dare to criticize Trump and his fat trumpette.

The ol' GAF "tell me how you really feel", whenever someone dissents. You must have stumbled into the wrong thread--this is about Palmer Luckey, not President Trump. Nice driveby shitpost without any meaningful contribution to the discussion.

Lets not give him a chance to make something special because of his political stance. Lets ruin his life.

Wanting the federal government to spend less money is politics, wanting to increase taxes to improve education is politics, believing that people of color are genetically inferior is not politics.

eizarus

Banned
So he's gonna use this to buff neo Nazi players so that they kill minorities in game, which makes his new headset fry the brains of the player who just died.

SeanTSC

I understand and personally I agree but it's not a simple issue. I hear stuff like "Polanski is a fantastic director and I can't wait for his next movie" and my instictive reaction is to yell at people for supporting a piece of human filth by watching his movies. Then I remember that I also use and enjoy products made by disgusting individuals and truly evil companies and I feel like I can't speak with any authority on the matter.

I try to take principled stances whenever possible but I believe that it's wrong to interpret the enjoyment of a product as an act of support or acceptance towards the individual or company behind it. I don't believe that most people who watch Polanski movies are ok with child rape and I don't believe that most people who want to buy a product from Luckey are ok with racism.

The big problem here is that it's not just Luckey's shitty worldview. It's not just his "opinions" or things he talks about or beliefs. It's the fact that he went out of his way to spend money he earned from the VR industry on paying hate groups to spread racism and hate. That makes it an entirely different ball game.

So yes, I believe that after knowing this, if you still give money to Palmer, then you are supporting Racism because he uses that money to pay white nationalists to very purposely spread hatred.

Lets not give him a chance to make something special because of his political stance. Lets ruin his life.
Yes, we are sure to ruin this poor, white supremacy supporting millionaire’s life who no doubt will contribute something special to VR. Maybe a VR game where we can hit Killary Clinton with golf balls!

Compsiox

Banned
Wanting the federal government to spend less money is politics, wanting to increase taxes to improve education is politics, believing that people of color are genetically inferior is not politics.

Lets take what we can get from him on the VR side. Then we can dismiss him. I don't love uncle. I just want his gifts.

The ol' GAF "tell me how you really feel", whenever someone dissents. You must have stumbled into the wrong thread--this is about Palmer Luckey, not President Trump. Nice driveby shitpost without any meaningful contribution to the discussion.

I don't necessarily agree with him. I don't believe you've really divulged enough to give off the impression you're any of those things.

I do believe you're simply not affected by Palmer's actions and therefore do not give a shit about the people it might affect. It's a callous, selfish, and extremely privileged stance to take.

Codeblue

A political stance isn't some trivial personality quirk. He was giving money to bigots. If this wasn't problematic and didn't speak volumes about who he is, he wouldn't have lied about it.

livelifelove13

Neo Member
Someone else will come along to take the mantle from him. He's not the first, nor will he be the last to contribute to the tech industry in a big way.

His image, his research, and his products/companies will forever be tainted. This isn't merely a neogaf thing. You should get used to it.

No, he will continue contributing to the industry in a big way, no matter how passionate your distaste for him is. It's not tainted because you, or even a majority of people say so. Walt Disney was a racist. You know the rest.

Can someone link me an article explaining and showing the meme's of this whole Nimble America thing? Maybe my juices just aren't flowing because I really don't understand it. I mean I know what GAF has said about it from a few threads I had dropped in on. But the only thing I've seen is Trump meme's about MAGA shit and like Hillary Too Big to fail, and anti Hillary stuff. I probably just need some perspective.

Lets take what we can get from him on the VR side. Then we can dismiss him. I don't love uncle. I just want his gifts.

Lol, that's exactly it.

Alucrid

Banned
Can someone link me an article explaining and showing the meme's of this whole Nimble America thing? Maybe my juices just aren't flowing because I really don't understand it. I mean I know what GAF has said about it from a few threads I had dropped in on. But the only thing I've seen is Trump meme's about MAGA shit and like Hillary Too Big to fail, and anti Hillary stuff. I probably just need some perspective.

Lol, that's exactly it.

It's because most of us, by the time we make it out of our junior phase just realize it's not worth the energy to argue or discuss it. If anything they are simply naive in thinking there's discussion to be had lol.

huh. apparently understanding the topic at hand isn't worth the energy either.

This is disingenuous horseshit. You act like he's just some passive bystander who just happens to have some controversial views and never acted upon them. The guy actively funded and supported alt-right racist shitposting.

Top Bottom