• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey announces that he has a new company

Do I think Luckey is an idiot? Yes I do, same with PewDiePie, but I'm not going to boycott everything related to what they do just to make me feel better about myself. There are still those out there who won't touch Oculus because of him. Why deprive myself of enjoying a product because of one bad apple who isn't there any longer?

It's not just to make people feel better about themselves. It's about keeping, even more, dollars out of the white supremacists' hands and agenda. While I know you might personally feel that only serves to stuff someone's ego it has a real impact. That you don't see that says more about your ego than the person's you are questioning.

VR doesn't fucking need Luckey. Look where we are now, VR is being pushed from a plethora of different companies everywhere. Luckey isn't "invaluable", he only drags us down. VR is better than Palmer Luckey.

Rayis

Do I think Luckey is an idiot? Yes I do, same with PewDiePie, but I'm not going to boycott everything related to what they do just to make me feel better about myself. There are still those out there who won't touch Oculus because of him. Why deprive myself of enjoying a product because of one bad apple who isn't there any longer?
I mean, you can ignore it all you want, I personally can't because his politics are affecting my day to day life to the point I'm scared of the future and that is something I can't forgive.

But they're both beliefs.

Do you seriously not get how insanely reductive that is? Racism doesn't just end at being a "belief", or just another side of a coin. In the same way waving hello to a stranger and grabbing them by the pussy could both be reduced down to being "actions" - something that's technically true but absurdly levels them out as the same.

NimbusD

Oh no, is he the guy who wound up saving alstspacevr? Please no. I know he was talking about it, and I know that something went through with some company either funding or buying them. But if it's this asshole, unfortunately I'm out.

Is it "couldn't" then? To sum it you, I could give zero fucks.

What if I pirate.

But seriously, like the other person called me out on, I'm not the kind of person who boycotts Chick-fil-A because of views held by corporate personnel. That is some delicious ass food.

You lack conscience. Good to know, puppet.

It's not just to make people feel better about themselves. It's about keeping, even more, dollars out of the white supremacists' hands and agenda. While I know you might personally feel that only serves to stuff someone's ego it has a real impact. That you don't see that says more about your ego than the person's you are questioning.

My ego? Get out of here with that bullshit. I never said to not make a stance agianst him, I was referring to a complete boycott of VR in general just because he's still involved within the industry. It's become clear keyboard warriors are all about public shaming and I can see why they say to never talk about politics and religion.

NewFresh

Y'all are treating each other like fuckin' garbage in this thread. Jesus Christ. I've never seen Gaf with a worse look.
There are a group of people calling out a white supremacist... And there are people defending him. If anything it's showing GAF has some good people on its board and some that would rather Keep blinders on for the sake of video games.

I don't understand rocketskate's "But what if I pirate?" rhetorical. If you think pirating is an option then you think Luckey doesn't deserve your money and thus you agree with the "fuck Luckey" side here. Except aren't so ??????

Nobody is saying that whatever Luckey makes is a bad thing, they're saying they don't want to directly fund a targeted effort to spread white supremacy, so they won't support his wallet.

Artanisix

My ego? Get out of here with that bullshit. I never said to not make a stance agianst him, I was referring to a complete boycott of VR in general[ just because he's still involved within the industry. It's become clear keyboard warriors are all about public shaming and I can see why they say to never talk about politics and religion.

There are still those out there who won't touch Oculus because of him. Why deprive myself of enjoying a product because of one bad apple who isn't there any longer?

normal people don't want to support someone who actively funds and supports the alt-right movement and white supremacy, not sure why this is so difficult to understand and why you keep bringing up irrelevant shit

My ego? Get out of here with that bullshit. I never said to not make a stance agianst him, I was referring to a complete boycott of VR in general just because he's still involved within the industry. It's become clear keyboard warriors are all about public shaming and I can see why they say to never talk about politics and religion.
Well that is ridiculous. Sony and Vive have nothing to do with Luckey and he left Oculus a while ago.

It would be like never watching a movie again because of Roman Polanski.

schlynch

I don't really get this. So much double standards. But, yeah, hate on this idiot and boycott him just to go back and play your Nintendo, produced by a company that had a shockingly low female employee rate (and still has with 30%? I think), that has probably a lot of right-thinking nationalists in top positions too and that produces its products under cheap conditions in factories unworthy of a human being. But yeah... who cares, f*ck this Palmer Lucky guy and his VR. lol. And you can probably insert any company there, not just Nintendo.

I don't really get this. So much double standards. But, yeah, hate on this idiot and boycott him just to go back and play your Nintendo, produced by a company that had a shockingly low female employee rate (and still has with 30%? I think), that has probably a lot of right-thinking nationalists in top positions too and that produces its products under cheap conditions in factories unworthy of a human being. But yeah... who cares, f*ck this Palmer Lucky guy and his VR. lol. And you can probably insert any company there, not just Nintendo.

Are you fucking kidding me? Luckey uses his profits to deliberately spread the shit. This has nothing to do with a random employee in a Japanese company's private thoughts kept to themselves. How the hell did you get to Nintendo of all things?

L Thammy

I can imagine a few of the people here playing the game on easy mode while using a Gameshark, still needing GameFAQs and their older brother to beat the hard levels. And then wondering why their friends won't give them high fives after they beat it.

Like, if you're going to have no standards for yourself, no one can really stop you. Bu no one really has to respect you either, and you've done very little to earn any respect.

Yes. Your ego. To assume that people are boycotting to make them feel better about themselves is an invention of your ego. I'm sure the persecution complex you are displaying feeds into that on some level too.

Notice my post never said anything about your stance on Palmer Lucky.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah, because people are afraid of being exposed as hateful and bigoted fuckwits

Y'all are treating each other like fuckin' garbage in this thread. Jesus Christ. I've never seen a worse look for GAF than this thread.

Can we go one thread without some both sides bullshit?

We have people calling out a known piece of shit, and we have people defending said piece of shit.

The people defending him have so far called racism and hate "politics", mentioned how calling out him is ruining his life or something, and hand waved away the fear of minorities because of "muh VR progress"

People are rightfully upset. Gaffers are coming in here and offering words of encouragement to a white supremacist, while telling other gaffers their fears and justifications for boycotting are irrelevant because they would rather get more games for their VR toy than not support this asshole.

Y'all are treating each other like fuckin' garbage in this thread. Jesus Christ. I've never seen a worse look for GAF than this thread.
The only reason why this thread is a bad look for GAF is because of the amount of people saying they’re willing to overlook white supremacy as long as a game is good, not because of the people calling them out on that

People must be so attracted to the centre because of all of the high horses there

Sony had been working on VR since 2010.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/3/9/11174194/the-making-of-playstation-vr

Luckey brought a lot of attention and hype to VR but the idea that he is responsible for all the VR headsets available now is just not accurate.

He's more or less responsible for 2 of the 3 currently available headsets. Oculus Rift directly, and HTC Vive because Valve funded a competitor in response to the Rift.

Sony worked on VR a long time but it was nothing more than an internal proof-of-concept project. It was the success of the Rift that prompted Sony to create an actual consumer-available headset. Prior to that, Sony had made a headset which was meant for watching movies and it's not likely they had even considered a gaming headset until Shu saw a Rift. Which is, incidentally, why Shu and Luckey know each other and are on good terms.

Yeah, because people are afraid of being exposed as hateful and bigoted fuckwits

Or, you know, don't wanna be labelled as one because people jump to conclusions.

He's more or less responsible for 2 of the 3 currently available headsets. Oculus Rift directly, and HTC Vive because Valve funded a competitor in response to the Rift.

Sony worked on VR a long time but it was nothing more than an internal proof-of-concept project. It was the success of the Rift that prompted Sony to create an actual consumer-available headset. Prior to that, Sony had made a headset which was meant for watching movies and it's not likely they had even considered a gaming headset until Shu saw a Rift. Which is, incidentally, why Shu and Luckey know each other and are on good terms.

Yeah, denying him as a innovator is downright false. He definitely brought huge amount of attention to VR since the rift actually worked. Seeing him work with these companies is a huuuuge catch for them. I just hope Luckey refines VR to make it cheaper and better games. I'll never jump in to play some shitty tech demo or meme simulator.

Or, you know, don't wanna be labelled as one because people jump to conclusions.

You might think this is a good retort but it speaks volumes about their opinions and how they express them if they are worried about accidentally being labeled as white supremacist defenders or racists themselves.

🙄

You might think this is a good retort but it speaks volumes about their opinions and how they express them if they are worried about accidentally being labeled as white supremacist defenders or racists themselves.

🙄

I often wonder what types of views they have when they say stuff like this.

I imagine a lot of them are pretty questionable, and the side-eye is probably justifiable.

Nauren

Fuck this guy and his products. What's up with the "but Hitler was an artist." style of retorts? Who gives a rats ass? He is a racists first, second and third. Innovator comes dead last.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
dude, idk, but if he keeps being invited to events and companies want to work with him then maybe, JUST MAYBE, might mean the guy has very clever ideas and knows VR from inside out and can help companies develop VR games & utilities.
I dont know anything about VR industry, what he has or hasnt shown, but one thing is clear: the guy's an ass, and hes also very good at this tech. Thats it. Otherwise, as you say, none would be interested in him.

It took Inafune to make Megaman. It took Palmer to make VR forever. Or something.

Doop

As soon as people start talking about racism as if it's just a different opinion or political view I tune out. At that point I know they don't actually care. They'd probably still be defending him if he straight up came out and said "I'm a racist and hate minorities."

I guess I just really can't wrap my head around VR being SUCH a great technology that you can totally just hand wave all his stupid bullshit.

As soon as people start talking about racism as if it's just a different opinion or political view I tune out. At that point I know they don't actually care. They'd probably still be defending him if he straight up came out and said "I'm a racist and hate minorities."

I guess I just really can't wrap my head around VR being SUCH a great technology that you can totally just hand wave all his stupid bullshit.

You don't understand, bruh. I need VR tech to advance enough to fully simulate my VR waifu fantas - I mean, for uh, medical science. Right ... medical science.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You don't understand, bruh. I need VR tech to advance enough to fully simulate my VR waifu fantas - I mean, for uh, medical science. Right ... medical science.

?
Many VR tech users actually hope and want VR to improve uses beyond gaming.

There's no need to put down VR tech just to push your agenda.

I'm going to need to see the receipts for this one.

IrishNinja

But they're both beliefs.

Gaf really gets off on the hate boners for this guy. Good lord. Maybe topics about him should just be read only or banned out right. Usually ends up with causing more tension than it's worth.

I never said I'd get banned for having a dissenting opinion, I said I'd get dogpiled for it--and if you knew what "dogpiled" meant, you'd agree that I did get dogpiled. I never said "meme magic" either, numbnuts. Whatever, you and I just function differently. I'm willing look toward the future of VR and the monumental success that it'll be and has been--thanks to Palmer Luckey. You dwell on the past, forever stagnating in a bog of hate.

And what is the point you and the others in this thread are trying to make? Yes, Palmer Luckey is alive right now. Does this mean, according to you, that no one is allowed to like VR until after he is dead? Is VR now some kind of white nationalist neo-Nazi technology because Luckey happens to be a key figure in driving it's mass adoption?

I want to know when I'll be allowed to like VR, according to GAF. I'm older than Luckey is. I might die before he does. Am I not allowed to like VR, even to my dying breath, as long as Luckey is alive?

Did you see the posts in here? There are a bunch of haters. I'm no fan of white supremacy, but I like what he's done with VR and think he's paving the way of the future for it. He's an asset to the world, not a liability.

Winston Churchill held strong beliefs in white supremacy and eugenics.

late here, but goddamn, you can just watch the camps okay with white supremacy & those privileged enough not to care high five here sometimes...looking back, it's really not surprising that so many gaters bled into the alt-right.
disgusting.

"I don't care about this white person being racist. I don't see what the big deal is and will keep supporting him." - White person, thread #1000

exactly right

Top Bottom