• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

5ke2YBc.gif

Love this show. (The Wire, for those curious).

Tagyhag

We all know what he's going to say.

"Yes I supported Trump in the past, but since 2 days ago I've switched to Gary Johnson!"

L Thammy

It's honestly really worrying how racism and bigoted views are "a political stance" now. "It's okay to say these things because a presidential nominee says them. It's just his opinion, bro. Sorry you're upset I guess."

I'm pretty sure people were saying this shit in the Civil War era too.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I still can't get over the official Oculus response from the CEO. Like WTF man!? Do they not give a single fuck at this point cause they all got/getting paid?

It is funny though that the part of the story that he denies is being a Trump supporter and not supporting a white supremacist group. Is he trying to protect Trump by going "See? Racists don't actually support Trump. I should know, I'm one of 'em!"
That's what gets me too. He admitted to the worst part but is in denial about his presidential candidate preference as if that was his biggest sin.
Edit: denial is too kind. He's straight up lying, so his apology actually makes him look worse.

Sciz

Goodness, I'm sure surprised that a Trump supporter is lying through his teeth to save face. I don't know where someone would pick up that behavior.

balohna

We are waaaaay too deep into this to still be sorting through whether an article full of direct quotes has any truth to it. Putting this in the intentional ignorance bin.

Lol, I'm not that person but I'm checking this thread occasionally and can't keep up. Don't really want to read the whole thing. It would be one thing if the OP had updates, but it doesn't.

I'm trying to figure out where it was confirmed Palmer was lying about being NimbleRichMan. I'm not trying to take his side in any way, but I do wanna see the receipts.

It is funny though that the part of the story that he denies is being a Trump supporter and not supporting a white supremacist group. Is he trying to protect Trump by going "See? Racists don't actually support Trump. I should know, I'm one of 'em!"

Well, I'm trying to meet more than halfway here, but I think what he's trying to establish with this line of argumentation is that despite his donation, this isn't really a group he necessarily understands perfectly or agrees with. He thought they had some interesting ideas, but at the end of the day he's not even backing the same candidate. Just trying to create distance.

L Thammy

Summary, feel free to put it in the OP:

Palmer Luckey is a scumbag.

Everything in his response was either a lie or a non-apology. He didn't even really deny things.

His buddies gave non-apologies for him.

That's it. That's all that's happened.

thegoosen

Neo Member
I still can't get over the official Oculus response from the CEO. Like WTF man!? Do they not give a single fuck at this point cause they all got/getting paid?

They are probably hoping that the situation normalizes by itself and stay in denial until the backlash in the media gets really bad for them.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Oculus is okay with their public image being linked to white supremacists and shitposting. Use that information when you make a consumer decision regard VR.

Reminds me of this guy but even worse for Luckey cause he goes way further:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Eich

This is the Oculus story now. It doesn't matter what innovations/products they come out with now because catching Luckey boy in a shitty made tapestry of shitty lies and looking into his motives is more interesting than the product or company.

The product isn't mainstream at all so they can't fall back on loyalty like Apple or something. People are waiting to see what VR tech takes off and the competition is right there. They need to force him out.

Mahonay

Banned
Reminds me of this guy but even worse for Luckey cause he goes way further:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Eich

This is the Oculus story now. It doesn't matter what innovations/products they come out with now because catching Luckey boy in a shitty made tapestry of shitty lies and looking into his motives is more interesting than the product or company.

The product isn't mainstream at all so they can't fall back on loyalty like Apple or something. People are waiting to see what VR tech takes off and the competition is right there. They need to force him out.
I still can't believe "I take Luckey on his word" was their actual official response.

Goodness, I'm sure surprised that a Trump supporter is lying through his teeth to save face. I don't know where someone would pick up that behavior.

Worst, if you do support someone's beliefs, stand true to yourself, you cucks! I would be proud of y'all staying true to yourself in this bigotry. It'll be easier to avoid than to pretend.

sk3

Banned
This entire 1600 post thread is a perfect example of why shitposting is so effective.

Well done, Palmer. Well done.

Oculus is just gonna let him lie to the public and then move on like nothing happened? Disappointing isn't even close to the word necessary here.

entremet

Witch hunt threads aren't cool. No matter what the subject-matter.

I guess he is a trumpet, my bad for being skeptical.

I don't people are upset about him supporting Trump.

It's more about him funding that dumpster fire group. He actively and volitionally funded it, knowing their aims.

Alucrid

Banned
It's kind of tiring how many authoritarians (Peter Thiel, now Palmer Luckey as recently relevant examples) try to use Libertarianism is a cover.

Thiel supports the ideas of Mencius Moldbug, a guy who thinks fucking monarchy is the best form of government. Luckey is obviously a Trump supporter by all evidence except this most recent statement.

For all my issues with Libertarians... These people are, like, the opposite of libertarians. Why do they so consistently use that word as a cover for their authoritarian, personality-driven politics?

because the image that a "libertarian" conjures up fits nicely with their "tech guru" status

Nzyme32

Andy Baio may have identified the shirt he was wearing at that Trump rally, by the way:

As expected.

The lies from Palmer with Oculus and now this is just infuriating; to have the sheer contempt and gall to continue lying in succession through all these is incredible, akin to many politicians in the manner of "addressing" each lie found. Oculus itself also with a similar motif just guarantees I will never get involved with any of their products.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oculus is okay with their public image being linked to white supremacists and shitposting. Use that information when you make a consumer decision regard VR.
Oculus was never in the picture for my VR decisions if I'm fully honest. It has always been Vive & PSVR from the get-go. But now hopefully more consumers will use this information for their VR decisions.

Do not support this company.
Send that message with your wallets as well as your voices via social media/message boards.

sk3

Banned
Luckey is financially secure for the rest of his life, but Oculus is about to see the repercussions of backing a hate monger.
And facebook largely supports Hillary and has given her tens of millions. This is like cutting off an arm because of a papercut.

oti

Banned
I wonder how long it will be until people who have Rifts will be shamed as racists/supremacists/Trump supporters.

That would be dumb and it's sad this will come up in every Rift thread from now on. But... it's kinda understandable isn't it. This isn't your typical election after all. Trump isn't a typical politician and what is happening right now in many countries is very frightening.

Top Bottom