• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon ‘early access’ begins 18th March.

Guymelef

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ccess-begins-18th-march-with-all-heroes-free/

Founder’s Packs will cost €19.99, and include access to the game, skins, boosts, and other cosmetic items you can unlock by playing. Challenger Packs (€59.99) and Master Packs (€99.99) will include a huge number of skins, unlockable items, boosts, a unique skin and a Founder’s Pack to give to a friend. We’ll be sharing complete details soon.

Paragon is designed so that all players can compete and win without ever having to spend money. All Heroes are free, and cards can only be earned by playing the game. The game will never be pay-to-win, meaning we will never sell gameplay-affecting items.

We will sell cosmetic items (skins, emotes), boosts, and other convenience items, along with Paid Early Access, in order to make money. We’re taking this approach because we believe that competitive games need to be fair for all players.

Hoje0308

Banned
All Heroes are free, and cards can only be earned by playing the game. The game will never be pay-to-win, meaning we will never sell gameplay-affecting items.

Hmmm, let's see if this holds.

haha, can't believe the public will have access to this before Fortnite.

If heroes are free and cards can only be earned via gameplay, then what are the boosts for? And how do you earn them?

jediyoshi

Weird of them to bury the lead by sticking the all heroes free announcement in with this. That's pretty much a bigger story than early access info.

Weird that this is so soon, considering we just got another wave of friend invites.

Our NDA ends on the 14th, and we get to play without purchase for early access.
Looking forward to sharing my thoughts!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, really surprised this is coming out so soon after announcement with Fortnite being MIA for years now.

jediyoshi

Wow, really surprised this is coming out so soon after announcement with Fortnite being MIA for years now.

It's absolutely not. The closed alpha pretty regularly gets feature updates and they've still been doing monthly development streams covering it.

Moobabe

If heroes are free and cards can only be earned via gameplay, then what are the boosts for? And how do you earn them?

Boosts are probably stuff like "double exp towards card drops" or something?

In Paragon's Alpha Shop, boosts are priced with the premium currency. Boosts are for gameplay currency and experience, like in LoL. So there is a caviar that players who purchase boosts (only with premium ($) currency) will have earn cardpacks much faster, probably twice as fast if they give 100% boost to gameplay-currency.

Also card packs are so much worse than Heartstone. Most packs contain 5 commons. Unless there is a crafting/salvage mechanic, good luck getting rares that you want.

going with the dota model, excellent

now it just has to be good

Boy that is not even remotely true. It does give free heroes, but cards (AKA items) are behind an RNG grind wall.

Sorry, but this is the way I see games:

Progression system + Boosts = Pay to win

I could be an outlier on this because I generally don't like any kind of progression system in a competitive multiplayer game.

It is actually a little worse than your standard progression system because of RNG card packs. You might want to build an AD assassin and end up with magic/support/tank cards.

I could be an outlier on this because I generally don't like any kind of progression system in a competitive multiplayer game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/paragon/comments/48shkp/247_ot_nda_lift_and_early_access/

Hey Everyone,

Online Test 10 is coming on Monday, March 7 and runs until Saturday, March 12. This is our longest test yet as we get ready for our Early Access Season on March 18. It’s important to note that if you’ve played in ANY Online Test, you will be able to continue to play in the Early Access Season and our Early Access preview for free once it begins on March 14. We would not have made it this far without you.

Also, the NDA will be lifted when the Early Access preview begins on March 14 at Noon EST. To help you prepare, we will release a patch during OT10 that will remove the Alpha watermark. We’re doing this to allow you to capture and record gameplay that you can release when the NDA lifts on March 14.

Please don’t forget to link your Epic ID account to your PSN account if you’d like to play on both PS4 and PC during the Early Access Season. You can do so by following this link.

We appreciate your time and look forward to hearing your feedback during the final Online Test and into Early Access.

Kei-

I see it that way as well. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's not like that, though I can't think of how else it could be.

Kei-

Yeah, I just receive an Email from Epic, Early Access free for those who played the alpha :)

Yea, just go this as well. But I sent out 4 invites after OT9, those people will play in OT10, but they haven't played yet, and we just received these emails. You think that means they won't be included in the free early access privilege even though they will technically play in an OT?

Nvm, I am blind. Says ppl that play in OT10 are also eligible

IvanJ

Banned
I am very interested in this game, although as a PS4 player I have no experience at all with this type of games.
But $20 is not much to try it out and support the developers, who knows, I might even come to like it.
Only drawback is that it comes out very soon, and I'm extra hyped for The Division next week.

Also: Is this the first Early Access on PS4 ever? I've recently read that ARK developers complained of not being able to do it there.

drotahorror

Is there any way to check and see if you got access to the alpha? I may have deleted the email or something. I'm on the paragon website but can't figure it out.

Rymuth

Because you're not getting enough sleep and you're tired. You should take care of yourself. ;P
XD

Sound advice but I'm brewing myself a cup of coffee so I can stay up for Nintendo's Direct.

Good luck with Paragon, guys. I'm looking forward to it - just hope I can stop calling it Battleborn again.

Xeilyn

Just saw the email, sweet with free early access. We got to set up a PS4 community when it draws near

Guymelef

Anyone know if they'll wipe our data when the game releases if we're in the alpha?

That's all they said.
By buying a Founder’s Pack, you’ll be able to play early, get an awesome value on in-game content, and help shape the future of the game. Your progress will be real, meaning we will not wipe accounts after 18th March. If you’d rather wait, Paragon will be in free Open Beta during the summer.

Founder’s Packs go on sale starting March 14, and Early Access begins on March 18. As a thank you for committing your time to play in the Online Tests, you’ll be able to play in our Early Access Season without buying a Founder’s Pack. Thank you! We would not have made it this far without you.

Just received this email.

I never actually played during any of the Online Tests

Gaz_RB

It's absolutely not. The closed alpha pretty regularly gets feature updates and they've still been doing monthly development streams covering it.

Yeah I think the thing with Fortnite is that it's such a new type of game they're still trying to figure out what it even is and how to balance progression and monetization.

Skux

Got the email, looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get a decent connection from here inNew Zealand.

Have yet to be invited, but they sent a mail about free beta weekends

As someone who has signed up for the beta, even if you don’t want to buy a Founder’s Pack, you will be invited to free Beta Weekends during the Early Access Season.

or I can just buy the Founder's Pack

so, those who signed up, but haven't received an invite can play in these weekend events

Top Bottom