• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper told me to drop dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
HI I DONT READ EXTRA MATERIAL PROVIDED IN THREADS BY OP

"We didn't really want to pay $100, so we came up with $30 each and decided to see if that would be enough for the 7-8 lines we wanted him to do:"

Source: http://parappathescammer.blogspot.ca/

Read it again, the guy said that he could do it for less. And he wants the money because he's getting someone to help with the recording. He said 100 would be good but 50 to 75 is fine as well. When he said he needed 100 because of his contract and what not, the OP proceeded to pay him the full amount. The full 100 dollars was paid.
OapLGWb.png

More like "you dont have to send the full 100$ today, but if you can send it 50-75$ today, then we can discuss payment for the rest of the balance"

PK Gaming

let me rephrase that:

1. OP and his annoying buds handled this like amateurs. But then again it was a fan project. But usually you don't approach talent on facebook, they have agents for this
  2. The Parappa dude is also handling badly, and should be refunding the money

Read the site linked. The price was 100$ but then they tried to lowball to 60$

No, that's wrong.

OapLGWb.png

To which OP responded with:

60+is+good.png

There was no low balling. Dred was the one who brought up the possibility of lowering the price, and both parties agreed to it.

EDIT:
HI I DONT READ EXTRA MATERIAL PROVIDED IN THREADS BY OP

Fucking irony.

-MD-

All this drama over 100$..

Both sides are complete idiots in this story. Please don't try to hire 'pros' when you can't even afford the original price,, and dont make deals over FACEBOOK; and stop trying to pretend to lawyer up over 100$ when you couldn't afford the full price. The dude saw that you and your friends were tools and bullshitted you all the way.

And the dude is handling this like an fruitcake too.

What a terrible thread.

Someone can't read.

SegaShack

Sorry to hear that this asshole scammed you. Some people are just insane and Dredd seems like one of them. To not only Scam you guys, but ask for more money from you and other fans, and then he has to do name calling with you over facebook? What's up with his 500 million fans? This guy is crazy and the blind fans that follow him are insane.

That being said it was a very entertaining read. I hope the story gets spread as much as it can and that this guy won't get another VA job for Parappa.

As for people saying you should have had a contract, it was just 10 lines for a film and the guy asked for some money. I doubt he even has an agent or a lawyer. There was nothing to show that he would have been incapable of doing the job. You put your trust in him and he failed you, by no means are you at fault.

I'm surprised you didn't post to the fan page or Neogaf back in 2012 to be honest.

"We didn't really want to pay $100, so we came up with $30 each and decided to see if that would be enough for the 7-8 lines we wanted him to do:"

Source: http://parappathescammer.blogspot.ca/

OapLGWb.png

More like "you dont have to send the full 100$ today, but if you can send it 50-75$ today, then we can discuss payment for the rest of the balance"

You can not just quote him properly in the process of making yourself seem foolish?

Also if the other dude was so professional why not just tell OP to contact his agent right off the bat? My guess is he does not actually have one

No Love

Banned
fLGsLIn.png

Welp, now I know why Sony charges $15 for a PSP port of a PS1 game instead of $6 like all the other PS1 games: They're secretly supporting this welfare rapper and his 11 year old daughter.

I'd seen voice actors do silly fan things before, like that Duke Nukem MAGFest video. I assumed Dred would let us know if there would be a problem beforehand, but you know what they say about assuming!

That MAGFest video seemed more like a joke promotional thing for John Saint John speaking at the convention or whatever he actually did there and I doubt money changed hands at any point during that sketch but maybe it did, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm trying not to sound rude but, you had to think there might be something funky up about paying a voice actor to play a character he's known for without any legal rights for you to hire him to play that character.

I'm still fully on your side and the dude shouldn't have taken your money in the first place if he had no intention of fulfilling what he promised and especially going on and being a dick about it, but you have to admit you were a bit shortsighted with getting him to play parappa rather than a satirical version of the character.

edit – Shuri's being a bit confrontational in his statement, I'm just trying to say that you should think about the legitimacy of paying a guy for something that you probably can't pay for in the first place.

Omega

Banned
The best part about the eventual defense force guy, is that he brings up an agent.

This dude was begging for $5 donations saying he uses the computer at his public library. No one using a public library computer to beg for donations is going to have an agent.

That MAGFest video seemed more like a joke promotional thing for John Saint John speaking at the convention or whatever he actually did there and I doubt money changed hands at any point during that sketch but maybe it did, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm trying not to sound rude but, you had to think there might be something funky up about paying a voice actor to play a character he's known for without any legal rights for you to hire him to play that character.

I'm still fully on your side and the dude shouldn't have taken your money in the first place if he had no intention of fulfilling what he promised and especially going on and being a sick about it, but you have to admit you were a bit shortsighted with getting him to play parappa rather than a satirical version of the character.

I don't think its too farfetched for this to have actually happened properly had the dude actually intended on doing the voice for the OP.

I remember a while back when a fan asked Jonathan Coulton for the proper audio tracks so he could make a Guitar Hero 2 custom song for himself and JoCo obliged.

Oddduck

The best part about the eventual defense force guy, is that he brings up an agent.

This dude was begging for $5 donations saying he uses the computer at his public library. No one using a public library computer to beg for donations is going to have an agent.

This. 100% agree.

Anyone who begs for $5 from his fans is not a professional. Just a washed up clown.

Wow...how far has Parappa fallen...This Dred Foxx is a bum..

Dimestore antics..scamming for 60-100 bucks...Probably doesn't even have the money to give back you....what a loser!!!

I'm glad you made the blog though...People need to know about this.

Kru

I took the liberty of paying dred $100 dollars for early access to said diss track

it goes a little something like this.

Yo perry yo perry, you want a hundred dollar?
i stand on your feet, and uppercut you, make you taller.

Thats all he had atm, but for another $250 I can get the intro sample, he will be taking from scarface.

Nerokis

Fuck 'em, he's a thief and a liar. Who steals $100 from their 'fans'?

There's no need for this, really. Dred is in the wrong here, no doubt, but I don't get the sense his heart is completely in the wrong place. There weren't any concrete rules surrounding the transaction, the circumstances surrounding all of this seem somewhat conflicted, and I can imagine the OP's way of handling the situation seeming overly aggressive in his eyes. It all seems to relate more to his clumsiness than any actual intent to steal from a fan.

OP and his friend deserve their money back, but I certainly hope it doesn't take this story reaching Kotaku or wherever for that to happen. It seems to me the absolute last thing this man needs is that sort of publicity.

hamchan

Well this is pretty hilarious. I hope this does get picked up by a gaming news site, I don't think bad people like this should get away with acting like this.

EulaCapra

I read the whole thing. What. The. Fuck.

OP, I was initially going to say that you shouldn't threaten to take legal action on a fan page since it sounded like Dred is just financially stupid and flaky, but he sounded like a man of his word. No need to tarnish his public appearance by saying you'll take legal action. I will say that in Dred's defense, it sounds like he really needs the money and made an effort to keep you updated on Facebook to avoid paying you back and even offered a "freebie" project. But he missed the deadline for your project plain and simple. Everything after that is some crazy delusional Kanye West ego-trip. I'm curious what he "offered" your Good Cop friend Jacob though. I doubt it was your money back. He sounded financially incompetent.

Lesson learned: PaRappa the Rapper fans are quite vocal in things nobody else on planet Earth cares about. I'm sorry you're part of the fandom, OP, but I'm also sorry about this weird situation.

Soriku

shuri is secretly Dredd Fox, rightt?

Definitely send this to other sites OP. Dude's a delusional sleazebag.

RaikuHebi

Banned
"I gotta give back the money that I stole!
Otherwise my life's gonna fall into a hole,
I gotta gotta gotta repent my sins,
Otherwise Sunny'll call me a crim!"

Hoo-doo

Banned
This chump-ass doesn't have a fucking agent. Let's not kid ourselves.

If you're that goddamn broke that you're farming donations from your fans on facebook to replace a snatched iPad, that's just sad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i dont know who dred foxx is supposed to be :/

I don't think its too farfetched for this to have actually happened properly had the dude actually intended on doing the voice for the OP.

I remember a while back when a fan asked Jonathan Coulton for the proper audio tracks so he could make a Guitar Hero 2 custom song for himself and JoCo obliged.

The guitar hero thing gets into the whole "who actually owns the rights to Still Alive (or whatever the song was) " and whether it was for personal use or not.

This whole situation seems like a voice actor trying to make a quick buck, an unfortunate fan going along with it and then the voice actor refusing to fulfil his part of the deal. It really sucks for the OP but he probably should have considered the deal fishy in the first place.

Hopefully now that the OP shone a light on the issue, Dred will give the money back and we can call it a day.

There's no need for this, really. Dred is in the wrong here, no doubt, but I don't get the sense his heart is completely in the wrong place. There weren't any concrete rules surrounding the transaction, the circumstances surrounding all of this seem somewhat conflicted, and I can imagine the OP's way of handling the situation seeming overly aggressive in his eyes. It all seems to relate more to his clumsiness than any actual intent to steal from a fan.

OP and his friend deserve their money back, but I certainly hope it doesn't take this story reaching Kotaku or wherever for that to happen. It seems to me the absolute last thing this man needs is that sort of publicity.

I agree that there is no need for harshness but to say that Dred was gonna give the money back and OP overreacted seems reaching. If Dred was in constant contact explaining why I would understand but he was not. He could of just sent the money back instead of begging for money for a new iPad but that did not happen either. OP got scamed for being wide-eyed which sucks but I can't see why Dred deserves any defending.

dab0ne

"You are a virus that needs antibiotics".

This is hilarious to me for many reasons.
Yeah. My wife is a doc and during the winter people come in with colds looking for antibiotics. It drives her crazy. She loves the batman meme though.

nikos

What a scumbag. This guy is such a joke. I can't bring myself to play another Parappa game after reading this, not as long as he's voicing it.

Calling him a con artist would be a compliment, this guy is just a scammer.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Gaf is the universe's gift to humanity.
Without NeoGaf we would not have threads like this.
This thread is extremely meta and is proof to the levels of dedication in the medium.
All hail EviLore!
Finkel is Einhorne!

bootski

lol PaRappa ended up being a huge asshole it looks like. you shoulda dropped a PUNCH/TURN/KICK on him.

in all seriousness though, you gotta be a straight up dick to scam two 19yr olds trying to make a FAN COMIC of your character out of $100. that's just fucking harsh.

Oh no, the wikipedia page took a turn for the worse. C'mon guys, the facts are hilarious enough.

'Dred Foxx (born John Simpson III), also known as xXMETALxxGEARXx, is an American rapper, songwriter, and voice artist known for his role as the titular character in the PaRappa the Rapper franchise since 1997.

In 2014, Foxx was involved in an incident with a fan and would be found that he stole $3.3 trillion from him. He would continue to embarrass himself on his Facebook profile throughout the whole ordeal, stupidly behaving as if his turn as a rapping cartoon dog that spits lines like "THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST OF YOU" is an accomplishment of any great value. In the many exchanges that he had with the fan, he also claimed that he has 1 million troops.[1] (woooooooowwwww)
Roles

Dred Foxx is known as the voice of PaRappa, the titular character of the PaRappa the Rapper video game series since its debut in 1997. He reprised his role as Parappa in Um Jammer Lammy, PaRappa the Rapper 2, and returned to voice PaRappa in the PS3 crossover fighter PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale released in 2012, fifteen years after the original PaRappa. He, Armstead Christian, and Ryu Watabe are the only actors to voice their characters in all PaRappa projects (excluding the anime, with the exception of Watabe who returned to voice Chop Chop Master Onion).

He is also known for performing the rap lyrics for the theme of Knuckles, "Killer Queen", from the video game Halo Reach.

This chump-ass doesn't have a fucking agent. Let's not kid ourselves.
Who has 500 million fans in their FANily and wouldn't have an agent?! Duh. OP lacked some common sense and totally fucked this up; No one but himself to blame. Even Beiber can only boast a tenth of that and think of how hard it would be to get a hold of him! Naturally there are going to be problems in Facebook messaging between the random insults and paypal donations from millions of people per day.

Yeah, um, not really sure how else the OP could or should have gone about doing this.
Oh, god, this is just too easy. I even feel like a jerk for laughing this much at this point, but hey, not my problem if people are jackasses and bring this stuff upon themselves.

Real question: Do you think we could get him to buy some antibiotics to clear up a bird flu we could convince him he had at a highly marked-up rate? No doctor would prescribe that life-saving drug! Can't imagine why. Conspiracy, I say!

DogMeat77

Sorry about your money.

Sounds like this guy has a drug problem or is mentally unstable... or both.

I could actually feel myself getting dumber trying to read his messages. What a sad person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom