• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper told me to drop dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, the wikipedia page took a turn for the worse. C'mon guys, the facts are hilarious enough.
Fun fact: As a WIkipedia mod running a real-time edit-watching program, that edit instantly came up flagged as potential vandalism. I pretended I didn't see it. My eyes get blurry when I get tired... wouldn't want to give someone a warning that didn't deserve it...

kai3345

Banned
i thought it was widely known that dred foxx is a scumbag and/or crazy

he always posts these weird ass conspiracy images on his facebook

think of how hard it would be to get a hold of him! Naturally there are going to be problems in Facebook messaging between the random insults and paypal donations from millions of people per day.

How dare the mortal OP think he could contact a true PRO TALENT like Dred Foxx through Facebook? No, he is like Yaweh, if you get too close, you will burn up in flames.

Nerokis

I agree that there is no need for harshness but to say that Dred was gonna give the money back and OP overreacted seems reaching. If Dred was in constant contact explaining why I would understand but he was not. He could of just sent the money back instead of begging for money for a new iPad but that did not happen either. OP got scamed for being wide-eyed which sucks but I can't see why Dred deserves any defending.

Well, yeah, but I don't think I even implied that. I'm saying the overall situation doesn't strike me as a case of Dred intending to scam a fan, so much as a case of conflicted circumstances (financial issues, Hurricane Sandy, iPad being stolen, etc.) taking Dred in a different direction from the OP in his handling of a transaction that had the vaguest of conditions from the outset, and yes, antagonism in private messages and on his page further clouding negotiations.

I'm not defending Dred, as I do think he's in the wrong. He has failed to grasp his obligation to refund the OP and his friend, has this "here's a coupon, instead!" mentality that offering more voice work is somehow an appropriate substitute for doing so, and has acted rather foolish all in all. So no, he doesn't warrant defending, but demonizing someone is also very rarely warranted. A prerequisite for being in the wrong is absolutely not that you must be a particularly bad person.

Again, I just hope this is resolved and Dred learns from his mistakes without this blowing up into a complete PR nightmare (this isn't the best term to use in this case, I know) for someone who may very well be struggling more than enough already.

Just hire an attorney, and have said attorney approach him regarding the matter. He'll
suddenly feel sorry and either give you your money back or record the lines or both.

Oroku Saki? Never knew that Dred Foxx was secretly Splinter.

Actually, he would be Shredder...

Early nom for topic of the year, GAF?

Also about the people saying its silly that a fansite expected this guy to help with a fan led project, I ask to remember this little gem:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/video-games/223322-zero-voice-actor-redubs-megaman-x4-lines.html

I remember that it was a big deal to the Megaman fansites when the new voice of Zero went back and rerecorded the half assed dialogue of MMX4 for free...

GoaThief

Well, yeah, but I don't think I even implied that. I'm saying the overall situation doesn't strike me as a case of Dred intending to scam a fan, so much as a case of conflicted circumstances (financial issues, Hurricane Sandy, iPad being stolen, etc.) taking Dred in a different direction from the OP in his handling of a transaction that had the vaguest of conditions from the outset, and yes, antagonism in private messages and on his page further clouding negotiations.

I'm not defending Dred, as I do think he's in the wrong. He has failed to grasp his obligation to refund the OP and his friend, has this "here's a coupon, instead!" mentality that offering more voice work is somehow an appropriate substitute for doing so, and has acted rather foolish all in all. So no, he doesn't warrant defending, but demonizing someone is also very rarely warranted. A prerequisite for being in the wrong is absolutely not that you must be a particularly bad person.

Again, I just hope this is resolved and Dred learns from his mistakes without this blowing up into a complete PR nightmare (this isn't the best term to use in this case, I know) for someone who may very well be struggling more than enough already.
This seems reasonable, I hope a mutual agreement can be reached between the parties.

urfe

Guy does a bad business deal, he should be exposed as someone not to trust and not to do business with. Good on OP for exposing it. It's not only about OP, it's also about potential other people trusting this person.

Hope OP learned lesson about trusting sketchy people though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It does bum me out on some level that my beloved friendly rap dog is voiced by a douchebag :/

Today, I learned that one of my favorite gaming characters was voiced by a crazy man. (Although, maybe his blind followers are the truly crazy ones.) I have not heard of this man until today. Deep down, some part of me...some part of me wishes that it could have stayed that way. I know what I'll think of, now, every time I see or hear PaRappa.

So this is what it was a few days ago when there was talk of hackers in the group and all people without real pics were to be deleted.

One thing for sure though, I wouldnt be hostile and call anyone a con artist yet, I'd never get my money.

DrunkDan

Well at the very least hopefully he's talked himself out of any future Parappa contracts with his recent behaviour.

Hope you get the money back OP, though I wouldn't hold your breath. Might have to chalk this one up as a lesson learned unfortunately.

akira28

I thought Parappa was a kid...

edit: his wikipedia entry -
'Dred Foxx (born John Simpson III), also known as xXMETALxxGEARXx, is an American rapper, songwriter, and voice artist known for his role as the titular character in the PaRappa the Rapper franchise since 1997.

In 2014, Foxx was involved in an incident with a fan and would be found that he stole $3.3 trillion from him. He would continue to embarrass himself on his Facebook profile throughout the whole ordeal, stupidly behaving as if his turn as a rapping cartoon dog that spits lines like "THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST OF YOU" is an accomplishment of any great value. In the many exchanges that he had with the fan, he also claimed that he has 1 million troops

Lucario

I lost my shit at 'virus that needs antibiotics'

Dude is trying so hard to be deep and edgy.... should probably google what antibiotics do though.

Goddard

Fun fact: As a WIkipedia mod running a real-time edit-watching program, that edit instantly came up flagged as potential vandalism. I pretended I didn't see it. My eyes get blurry when I get tired... wouldn't want to give someone a warning that didn't deserve it...

Indirect flagging threats on a tiny wikipedia article, I'm not sure if you're joking or if you take this way too seriously but it's funny either way.

akira28

I lost my shit at 'virus that needs antibiotics'

Dude is trying so hard to be deep and edgy.... Too bad he doesn't know what antibiotics are.

maybe he's saying OP is a virus that is suffering from bacterial infection?

anyway, yeah just chalk this up to lesson learned. Don't send cash without a contract.

Peagles

Firstly, sorry you're going through this OP, and good on you for exposing this scammer.

Secondly, I never knew before today who this nobody z grade celeb was, despite playing the game. He sounds like a total nut job and celeb wanna-be, pushing his insecurities onto you. I know it's easier said than done, but I wouldn't take it personally, he obviously has some serious issues. Hope more people read about this so nobody else falls for his scams.

Hope you get your money back too!

ktynn

Banned
Woohooo slow down there... all this drama, who benefits from calling him out publicly? I mean... you started this chain of events by giving him the 100$ in the first place... you normally never pay someone untill they've actually done their job for you. You could have avoided this by working with a contract...

Anyway, i would drop all of this; it's bad energy man and screw your 100$, you'll never see dat muney again. Don't try to change other people's minds, if someone wants to screw you over and they CAN, then they will.

Too bad this voice-actor is a mean spirited guy.

Again, i'd drop all of it if i were you, there's nothing to gain from this and it is (most of the time) a huge waste of energy to try and change other people's value's or personality. Especially when we are talking about a "con artist" :)

KaiserBecks

"You are a virus that needs antibiotics."

I don't think he knows how antibiotics work.

Funny though, I hadn't heard about the possibility of another PaRappa game before, but this already killed it for me.

Wow, no words. I feel bad for you Camjo, I know you're a huge PaRappa fan, so for all this to happen has got to cut deep. In the end it just gives extra credence to the old adage 'never meet your heroes'. Not that anyone ever looked up to the voice actor of PaRappa as a hero, but the game always did have a dedicated following. I can't believe this guy is so lowly and pathetic that he would gyp a fan out of $100, but then judging by his Facebook comments, he's not the most rational human being on the planet.

M-I-X the drugs into the bowl.

flozuki

Woohooo slow down there... all this drama, who benefits from calling him out publicly? I mean... you started this chain of events by giving him the 100$ in the first place... you normally never pay someone untill they've actually done their job for you. You could have avoided this by working with a contract...

Anyway, i would drop all of this; it's bad energy man and screw your 100$, you'll never see dat muney again. Don't try to change other people's minds, if someone wants to screw you over and they CAN, then they will.

Again, i'd drop all of it if i were you, there's nothing to gain from this and it is (most of the time) a huge waste of energy to try and change other people's value's or personality. Especially when we are talking about a "con artist" :)

If everyone would act this way the world would be a horrible place. The OP is kind of whistleblowing and might save others a lot of problems when dealing with this guy.

Marceles

Sounds like a Family Guy funny bit that went on for 7 mins too long, I can't believe what I just read from the website.

The name Dred Foxx (I guess a clever pun from Redd Foxx) just annoys me even more.

urfe

I don't think he's trying to change his values or personality. He is owed $100 and he is making it public. He could leave up the blog and it takes zero energy.

Sendou

Hah read the whole thing and what a scumbag. He is also wrong with so many things. First of all I'm not sure if taking it up with a lawyer is worth it for $100 but you did have a pretty clear agreement there. I'm not an expert with American law but in general even oral agreements are enforceable. This is one of the most common misunderstandings. The problem comes when you try to prove what was agreed to. But here you have a pretty clear evidence backing your claim.

So actually hire a lawyer OP. Make a fun ending to this whole chapter.

kubus

Just read through the whole thing. Damn, what a messy situation OP. Sorry about your $100.

Had no idea this dude was such a scumbag. Hope Kotaku does a piece on this whole thing so he will notice he's not an invincible "LEGEND" that will always be protected by his hilarious(ly stupid) defense force.

kartu

Banned
Shouldn't OP give a bit more details in the first post?

I'm puzzled what is it about, how could that due steal 100$ and I don't want to spend half an hour reading drama screenshots just to find it out...

Dec

Shouldn't OP give a bit more details in the first post?

I'm puzzled what is it about, how could that due steal 100$ and I don't want to spend half an hour reading drama screenshots just to find it out...

OP was doing a small fan project with PaRappa in it. He thought it would be cool if the official voice actor did the role, the actor wanted money, and up front. OP sent the money, months pass and OP is out both the money and recordings.

Chipotle

What a great story, thanks OP. Could one of lawyer-GAF help out on this for free? Great things would surely happen.

EvB

His wiki page has been munched already.

"He is also known for performing the rap lyrics for the theme of Knuckles, "Killer Queen", from the video game Halo Reach."

DVCY201

Surely there's some kind of copyright law or something that prohibits a character's voice actor from being commissioned to record fan fiction. Like I'm sure someone couldn't get Nolan North to play Nathan Drake in an incredibly racist source filmmaker video regardless of how much money they could throw at him.

I'd assume the voice actor is prohibited from playing that character outside of the ip holders giving it the go ahead.

I don't think there's a copyright law for that at all. The only possibility I could see, is if it was stated in his contract with Sony, that he cannot partake in "fan" projects using the likeness of the character.

If anything the animation would probably fall under parody, and they're not making money on it (I think). The worse that could probably happen is a cease-and-desist (not like Sony will bother to sue a student). I mean, if something like "Dumb Starbucks" can actually happen, then I think an animated short is harmless.

EDIT: I know D.C. Douglas has done some parody stuff by himself using scenes from RE5 and ME

But I'm not going to pretend I understand all of the clauses of State Law. So who knows? Maybe you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom