• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parenting-Age: Will you get children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanadeus

Banned
child.jpg

So I was just reading a blog and found this interesting tidbit:

"From baby-lotion commercials that make motherhood look happy and well rested, to commercials for Disney World where you're supposed to feel like a kid because you're there with your kids, we've made parenthood out to be one blissful moment after another, and it's disappointing when you find out it's not."

And we've all heard of the research of how parents are less happy than non-parents:

Over the past few decades, social scientists like me have found consistent evidence that there is an almost zero association between having children and happiness. My analysis in the Journal of Socio-economics (Powdthavee, 2008) is a recent British example of parents and non-parents reporting the same levels of life satisfaction, on average.

But the warnings for prospective parents are even more stark than ‘it’s not going to make you happier’. Using data sets from Europe and America, numerous scholars have found some evidence that, on aggregate, parents often report statistically significantly lower levels of happiness (Alesina et al., 2004), life satisfaction (Di Tella et al., 2003), marital satisfaction (Twenge et al., 2003), and mental well-being (Clark & Oswald, 2002) compared with non-parents.

So what do you think GAF?
Will you be getting children?

I will be purchasing some soon and God willing I can get them at a good price.

edit: beaten!

anyway I think I'll probably make a kid or two. Why not...I like to think they'll finish what I start.

Why For?

Banned
Been trying for about 5 months.

Hopefully I'm not shooting blanks. If we do get pregnant, I'm hoping for a boy. As most men do. My best man just had a boy last week, and my brother is having a girl next week.

in the future definitely, when im financially secure and married.

unlike most guys, id like to have a girl :D everyone in my family had all boys so itd be a nice change of pace

linkboy

To late for me, my son (named Christoper Forrest Treat) is due in late December (Christmas day is his due date, poor little guy).

Can't wait until he gets here.

SpecX

Wife just found out she's pregnant and now we're expecting sometime between June and July next year. We've taken care of our niece and it has its ups and downs depending on her mood, but we love her and we will be happy with our own. It's just like a marriage, it's not always happy and there's some down moments, but if you work through it, it can be very rewarding.

chase

Already do. No, it's not one blissful moment after another, but there are a lot of blissful moments. There is nothing, not one thing, that compares to seeing your child smile at you. It's a level of joy that you had never before thought possible.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
kamspy said:
Got 4. All girls. I'm fucked.

Holy.....I salute you.

That's a big plate of responsibility.

Shanadeus

Banned
CrankyJay said:
"Getting" makes it sound like picking one up at the store. :lol
If only, I bet plenty of parents love the idea of being able to return your children in case they're not satisfied with them.

CrankyJay

Banned
chase said:
Already do. No, it's not one blissful moment after another, but there are a lot of blissful moments. There is nothing, not one thing, that compares to seeing your child smile at you. It's a level of joy that you had never before thought possible.

I can't really relate, but my boss just had a kid and he came into work all excited because his kid is now old enough to react and smile back at him. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. I thought it was cool to see someone so excited about something.

Calcaneus

Sure. Not anytime soon though. I always felt like the perfect time to have kids would be in my early 30s, that way I won't be close to retirement by the time they hit 20. But I feel like stiil wouldn't be ready for it by then. Its a huge responsibility, taking care of a kid, making sure they grow up right.

IDK bro kinda busy, I don't know if I can fit it in.

And yes I will assuming I locate someone that is worthy of my superior genetic code.

FLEABttn

Banned
My girlfriend hates kids more than I do. Not having to buy shit for a kid also allowed her to get the exact car she wanted and all her co-workers hate her for it.

I want a nicer TV more than I want a kid. The nicer TV will win.

Alucrid

Banned
FLEABttn said:
My girlfriend hates kids more than I do. Not having to buy shit for a kid also allowed her to get the exact car she wanted and all her co-workers hate her for it.

whatcarwhatcarwhatcar

CrankyJay

Banned
FLEABttn said:

Might as well enjoy it, right?

I guess my wife and I are going to have kids, but I would make the most of it if we didn't (nice stuff, vacations around the world).

I dunno. I feel the world is pretty shitty right now...would seem kind of selfish to bring a new life into it. I see my neighbors across the street with ill-behaved kids running around, pissing and shitting all over the place (the kid literally will pull down his pants and go on the sidewalk if he has to go). His pissed on my neighbors basketball. That was a big point of contention.

I hate the thought of going through pregnancy, so if I ever wanted kids I'd look at adoption first. But no, I do not plan to have or obtain any children in the future.

We can't "get" children because they listen to that hip hop music and they're rebellious. Those whores. We provide them with a great home and this is the way we're treated?

Alucrid

Banned
cwmartin said:
Boooyouman!.gif

The joy of bringing a child into the world should trump any materialistic passion you may have

Perhaps...I'd rather be an incredibly cool uncle that doesn't have kids though.

linkboy

CrankyJay said:
Might as well enjoy it, right?

I guess my wife and I are going to have kids, but I would make the most of it if we didn't (nice stuff, vacations around the world).

I dunno. I feel the world is pretty shitty right now...would seem kind of selfish to bring a new life into it. I see my neighbors across the street with ill-behaved kids running around, pissing and shitting all over the place (the kid literally will pull down his pants and go on the sidewalk if he has to go). His pissed on my neighbors basketball. That was a big point of contention.

That's just because they're crappy parents (which is sadly becoming the norm).

CrankyJay

Banned
linkboy said:
That's just because they're crappy parents (which is sadly becoming the norm).

They are crappy parents...and currently getting divorced. Both are sort of trashy, and the dad has a drinking problem.

I feel my wife and I could be good parents, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should have kids.

I see it both ways:

1. Not having kids, travel the world, do whatever we want. Yet later in life regretting not having children.

2. Having kids, watching our children grow and take on our values and eventually their own. Regret early on all the shit we have to deal with.

I'm more likely to adopt children. Too many unwanted little ones out there. Maybe I'll even start a few orphanages if I get wealthy enough.

My wife and I both love kids, but we've decided we enjoy "renting kids" much more. Both of our siblings and some friends have kids, so when ever we want to have kids, we call and they come over. They even live with us for a week sometimes. It is great, then you get to turn them back to their parents and live like a couple again. We are both near 40, so at this point we are both sure about our decision. This is a win/win situation as far as I'm concerned.

Shanadeus

Banned
Darth Pinche said:
My wife and I both love kids, but we've decided we enjoy "renting kids" much more. Both of our siblings and some friends have kids, so when ever we want to have kids, we call and they come over. They even live with us for a week sometimes. It is great, then you get to turn them back to their parents and live like a couple again. We are both near 40, so at this point we are both sure about our decision. This is a win/win situation as far as I'm concerned.
I applaud you, you've beaten the game.
You manage to both keep the cake and eat it.

Darth Pinche said:

You should start a service.

Kind of like daycare but with less abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom