• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parenting-Age: Will you get children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL4E

No, I don't want kids, they suck.

Luckily for the future of humanity, this thinking pattern isn't adaptive.

CrankyJay

Banned
Darth Pinche said:
My wife and I both love kids, but we've decided we enjoy "renting kids" much more. Both of our siblings and some friends have kids, so when ever we want to have kids, we call and they come over. They even live with us for a week sometimes. It is great, then you get to turn them back to their parents and live like a couple again. We are both near 40, so at this point we are both sure about our decision. This is a win/win situation as far as I'm concerned.

Holy shit...good idea.

Thanks. Part of the success of this plan is that both my wife and I are psychologists, my wife being a child psychologist, so people trust us pretty well when it comes to child care. But it also means we give, give and give,professionally, so in our personal lives, we take care of each other. An added bonus is that my wife will keep her rocking body. score.

chase said:
Already do. No, it's not one blissful moment after another, but there are a lot of blissful moments. There is nothing, not one thing, that compares to seeing your child smile at you. It's a level of joy that you had never before thought possible.
Completely agree. Just today I came home for lunch after having a completely shitty morning and there was my son all smiles and running up to me to give me a kiss. It was awesome and made my day so much better.

So what if I have to give up some of my freedom, seeing him genuinely excited to see me is never not worth it.

slider

It's an incredibly natural instinct to me so yeah. Guess I just haven't met the right person yet (don't tell my gf that!).

i have a 2,5 year old son.
I always thought i wanted to have kids/ be a father (under the right circumstances). I think kids are great.

Parenthood is not one blissful moment after another. If you think that you're a freaking idiot to start with. Becoming a parent comes with great responsibility , dedication and PATIENCE... It's not fun all of the time and it's not bliss all of the time. But when it is fun and bliss, it's out of this world amazing.

I'm not less happy than non-parents at all. In fact, i'm more happy than most people in general in think. But you always have to try to keep some of that life for yourself. You can be a good parent AND do stuff that doesn't have anything to do with your children.

If you're a responsible person, it WILL make you more worrysome every once in a while.
Finances, healt, etc. And the first year will take two to three years of your life i think :p

I can't speak for anyone else, but i think it's such a great privalege to be a parent. To watch and help a kid grow up.

Unfortunately lots of fucking retards just have kids like it's nothing. Not even thinking about the consequences. It being natural has nothing to do with it being a wise decision..

edit: Being an uncle is great too.

_Bro

Banned
I imagine myself having a child as a Shmup that, when I destroy all the enemy ships and the boss, will prevent Idiocracy from happening.

But since I'm the dude I guess that means...

Wthermans

Banned
Wife wants a kid, but I don't. I thought I wanted them when we got together, but after going through my 20s, I really don't want anything to do with them. Waste of money and time IMO. We'll probably divorce in a few years over the issue (as I don't think she'll settle without kids and I refuse to have them until we have a decent retirement and have enough income to provide for them). It's sad because she's relatively level headed over everything else, but she'll have kids right away even if it means we'll be living on the streets.

WEGGLES

Never want kids.

Never.

I'll get more than my fill of kids when my sister has some.

I'd rather spoil a niece/nephew than have my own.

Stock_000007205934XSmall_parent_child_sunset.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Wthermans said:
Wife wants a kid, but I don't. I thought I wanted them when we got together, but after going through my 20s, I really don't want anything to do with them. Waste of money and time IMO. We'll probably divorce in a few years over the issue (as I don't think she'll settle without kids and I refuse to have them until we have a decent retirement and have enough income to provide for them). It's sad because she's relatively level headed over everything else, but she'll have kids right away even if it means we'll be living on the streets.

Wouldn't you sort that shit out before getting married?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
phew... at first glance thought the title said "will you eat children?" lol

I am going to start making babies soon...

Philia

My hubby and I are wayyy too happy in our lives to complicate that equation with kids. I also believe that having some decent family support is very beneficial for first time parents or something. We have neither so.

FOOTE

If I don't have a kid by the time I'm 35 (10 years) I wont have any. Not going to put my kid(s) thru the crap of having an old assed Dad who can't play with them.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm an elementary school teacher, I know very well kids are not little bundles of joy 24/7. Which is why I am not going to have children.

FOOTE said:
If I don't have a kid by the time I'm 35 (10 years) I wont have any. Not going to put my kid(s) thru the crap of having an old assed Dad who can't play with them.

I actually feel the same way about this, and I'm 28. Single, too. This kinda scares me.

I feel like I must spread my seed and let the family legacy continue. I'm the only person left to do that, too. Having no 'insert last name' left in the future is a bit scary. I do have a sister, but that doesn't count. :lol

legend166 said:
I'm one of five children.

I'll be having kids if I can find a wife. Probably three or four.
well, it's the misses that has to push them out, so start with one and see from there.

Scuba Steve said:
Having kids is the most selfish thing.

The world is a horrible place. They never asked to be born.
So kill yourself
don't!!:p
. Or.. do you kinda think it's cool to be alive?

freddy

Banned
I have 2 already. Having two people in the world I'd gladly lay down my life for is enough for me. Still the decision is in my wifes hands because my sperm is still pumping in good and strong as far as I know.

eh, I wanted children badly four or five years ago...too bad my ex was a bitch. now I'm with a jewel of a girl and I couldn't care less

Shanadeus

Banned
Always-honest said:
So kill yourself
don't!!:p
. Or.. do you kinda think it's cool to be alive?
I think his argument is that you cannot know whether or not your child want to be alive or not, and regardless of how they feel after they've been born they'll undoubtedly be affected by the fact that they are alive and have a very strong desire to stay so.

Life given and later taken is a tragedy, but life not given is never a tragedy.

And I appreciate all the comments and answers in this thread, I wish you good luck in your future regardless of whether you get children or not.

sciplore

beje said:
Fuck no. And this website regularly reminds me why:

http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/

That site gives me even more reason to be happy that I am childless.

Darth Pinche said:
My wife and I both love kids, but we've decided we enjoy "renting kids" much more. Both of our siblings and some friends have kids, so when ever we want to have kids, we call and they come over. They even live with us for a week sometimes. It is great, then you get to turn them back to their parents and live like a couple again. We are both near 40, so at this point we are both sure about our decision. This is a win/win situation as far as I'm concerned.

This couple got the right idea, I discovered this method when I was forced to be the family babysitter/nanny for my nieces, nephews and little cousin's. If I am ever going to have kids in the near future I find that most likely I would adopt. Particularly a older child.

Shanadeus said:
I think his argument is that you cannot know whether or not your child want to be alive or not, and regardless of how they feel after they've been born they'll undoubtedly be affected by the fact that they are alive and have a very strong desire to stay so.

Life given and later taken is a tragedy, but life not given is never a tragedy.

And I appreciate all the comments and answers in this thread, I wish you good luck in your future regardless of whether you get children or not.
don't worry, i know what he and you mean.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Absolutely. Even when it was ridiculous and tough, my parents were absolutely fantastic at raising me in a loving, nurturing, intelligent, inquisitive and expressive household, and I want to do the same for any other daughter or son I might have. They are a huge part of who I am today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom