• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parking outside of other peoples house.

I fucking hate it man. Park your shit outside of your fucking house, not my house.

We have these drug dealer neighbors across our house, who own like 8 shitty cars. They are the only motherfuckers on the block taking up space everywhere. Saved a spot one time for a family member, because I knew they wouldn't find parking later on, so I parked like a douche and took up the 2 spaces in front of my house. Dick head drug dealing neighbor comes up to me and asks why I parked like that, he was going to park one of his cars there. I told him that I was tired of them parking their shitmobiles in front of my house, forcing me to park elsewhere. Since then, they haven't parked their shitmobiles in front of my house.

I don't mind if it isn't a neighbor. I get that people have visitors, but when its the same assholes every time taking up your space, fuck that lol

Get better at parking so you're not taking up two spaces, but that's something that will come with time. Other than that you're not in the wrong at all so feel free to ignore this person as provided there are no yellow lines by the kerb and no signs indicating resident parking only then it's 100% fair game. I say this as someone who has to deal with on-street town parking and it's tough shit. Sometimes I get really lucky and I'm practically outside the front door. Other times I've hot to spend 10 minutes driving around looking and I end up quarter of a mile away.

To clarify about the taking two spots part of the note.... personally I think it's an extreme over exaggeration. I've only had my car for 8 days and for 2 of those the car has been at my girlfriends house so I've only ever parked in the spot a max of 6 times. On the first couple of days I may of left more room than necessary as I didn't want to box the other cars in and judging the space between cars in a brand new car for a inexperienced driver isn't as easy as it would be for everyone else.

WaterAstro

I get pissed off when people park in front of my home, especially my mainland Chinese neighbors who thought it would be cool to buy like 8 cars.

ZoronMaro

I sympathize with the person who wrote the note to a point because I lived in a similar situation for a while. I would notice certain cars were always there and parked poorly forcing me to find a spot farther away.

The difference is I never got passive aggressive and sent out notes because it's not like I own the street by my place, when I signed the lease it didn't say jack about parking so I'm not going to be a dick it. More importantly I definitely would have no clue whether or not that car owner actually lived nearby or not (I always assumed they must have but now realize that may not have necessarily been the case). Safe to assume whoever sent the note is creepily watching you from their house, which would bother the fuck out of me.

I'd start practicing hill starts right away.

(mat)

The worst part of this whole post is that the writer of the letter did not leave any contact details. At least sign the letter! Make this an open civilized discussion instead of a one-sided "GET GONE!" note. Yuck.

Redd

Fix your problem of taking up 2 spaces. Space is limited and even if you're new to driving keep adjusting until you get it right before you get out of your car.

Ignore the rest of the letter.

Well, it's pretty obvious that people would rather park closer to their own property... However, don't put words in my mouth. I never said anyone had any more right, what I -did- say is that it is considerate to think of the people living in the house you're parked outside of, and maybe take into account they'd probably prefer to park closer to home.

Obviously, they don't have any legal, or indeed, even moral right to that spot, but to me, it's inconsiderate to just think "Whatever, legal, don't care"

Maybe it is a regional thing, in the UK, as I've always known it this way.

IN the UK it's exactly the same as he says, you just don't have much experience I guess

Shadybiz

The note is a bit passive aggressive, but if you truly are taking up that much space, then you need to learn to park better. Go to an non-busy area and get some practice.

Menchi

IN the UK it's exactly the same as he says, you just don't have much experience I guess

The post you quoted mentioned "regional, in the UK" so maybe it's down to you being from London. In South Staffs/Midlands, I've always encountered people avoiding parking outside peoples homes.

I fucking hate it man. Park your shit outside of your fucking house, not my house.

We have these drug dealer neighbors across our house, who own like 8 shitty cars. They are the only motherfuckers on the block taking up space everywhere. Saved a spot one time for a family member, because I knew they wouldn't find parking later on, so I parked like a douche and took up the 2 spaces in front of my house. Dick head drug dealing neighbor comes up to me and asks why I parked like that, he was going to park one of his cars there. I told him that I was tired of them parking their shitmobiles in front of my house, forcing me to park elsewhere. Since then, they haven't parked their shitmobiles in front of my house.

I don't mind if it isn't a neighbor. I get that people have visitors, but when its the same assholes every time taking up your space, fuck that lol

See, this guy fucking gets it.

It's literally two renters on my street [who don't have legal rights to be using street parking], that own SIX CARS, that ruin the lives of every other person on our street.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

It's literally two renters on my street [who don't have legal rights to be using street parking], that own SIX CARS, that ruin the lives of every other person on our street.

If what they are doing is illegal, call the cops.

TAD

This is exactly why I'd never live anywhere with on street parking, its a nightmare. My girlfriends house used to have it and it was a circle cul-de-sac, I used to get ridiculously angry at least once a week when I'd drive up and see like 4 cars parked with a massive gap between them but not big enough to actually fit a car in, and it happened a lot because for some reason people just HAD to park in front of their houses.

If they don't have legal right to park their car there, then you should tell the police and have them towed.

You're describing what sounds like a very different situation, and then pretending other people don't get it. See, if it's public property, then the public can use it for whatever it's zoned for, and tough cookies if you disagree with how somebody uses public property because they have as much of a right to it as anybody else. If it's zoned for someone to sit there and eat fried cheese off of a hooker's ass, then by golly, it's their goddamn civic duty to eat that cheese off of my ass in that parking spot.

But if it's a road that is zoned for public parking, and the public wants to park their car there, then they should.

But if it's illegal to park there as you're saying it is, then everybody would agree with you.

And of course, if you're disabled and need that space for a disability recognized by the government, then that's a shitty government who will just paint lines on the ground for you and expect that covers it. At least where I live in MA, it's pretty common for people with a disability to have a reserved space in front of their house/property. Elderly, mobility disabled, the blind, etc., see it pretty often. The only gray area I could see here is with like, pregnant people or a person who is temporarily disabled where having the space is really critical for them but it's a short term thing that the state wouldn't likely put a permit in for.

Nevasleep

Do you realize how ignorant you come across? A shit bag because I just so happen to not be able to find a spot in front of my own apartment building? I live in a building with over 130 apartments and one spot in front. Oh but I guess that spot should be left vacant at all times because no one wants to step on the toes of any of the 130 people that live in the building so fuck it, no one parks there.

This is so asinine and absurd.
Why move there, clearly the apartments weren't designed with car owners in mind. I've rejected apartments because they didn't have reserved parking.
Plus if it is literally one space, it's probably meant for loading/unloading, taxi, contractors etc.

border

I have no idea why people get their shit so bent out of shape over a car parked in front of their house. My roommate got similarly snotty and passive-aggressive notes when he parked in front of a neighbor's house across the street. And I'll note that this is on a road without a really tight parking situation......the woman was merely upset that she couldn't park 20 feet from her front door sometimes.

If you want your own private parking spot, build a garage motherfucker.

Meh, strong disagree.

In BC, residential parking is the norm - if you don't live on the street, you can't park there.

Then, even if you do, you might not be able to.

In my municipality, you only have the right to use residential street parking if you live in a home zoned as a single family dwelling.

Meaning, any tenants living in a suite, or anybody renting a room in a house split into multiple units, can fuck right off [those have to have off-street parking / garages / multiple driveway parking for those people to park in].

Never visit Seattle, your head would explode. New developments aren't required to build enough parking for their tenants, and they don't have to build any parking whatsoever. Most of those people end up bringing cars with them and just park on the streets, which they have a right to, but man can it be annoying to find a place to park.

GodofWine

They cannot 'claim' a spot which they have no right to claim.

but

YOU cannot park poorly and take up 2 spots.

I imagine if you parked efficiently in one spot you never would have gotten that note.

D i Z

Sounds like the taking up two spaces isn't the problem. Some people are seriously anal about not being able to park in front of their own homes and get seriously bothered if even a visitor takes a spot for a little while. They have no ownership of the public street, but some people can't get that through their heads. If you can, you should find somewhere else to park. If they're petty enough to leave a note, they'll probably be petty enough to try to stitch you up later down the line.

milkham

my dad once left a note on a guy's car asking him not to block our driveway which is not an actual driveway. the guy wakes me up screaming at me through my door, and I can't even read that shit because it's in chinese. It's been probably over 10 years and that guy still flies into a cursing rage if he sees me or my dad. Street parking is serious business.

NeonBlack

I would say just park more considerably.

How do they not have the right to park on the street?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Why move there, clearly the apartments weren't designed with car owners in mind. I've rejected apartments because they didn't have reserved parking.
Plus if it is literally one space, it's probably meant for loading/unloading, taxi, contractors etc.

Oh now we are deflecting and asking why we choose to live where we live and also own vehicles? Point is that it doesn't belong to anyone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
my dad once left a note on a guy's car asking him not to block our driveway which is not an actual driveway. the guy wakes me up screaming at me through my door, and I can't even read that shit because it's in chinese. It's been probably over 10 years and that guy still flies into a cursing rage if he sees me or my dad. Street parking is serious business.

So wait I have a couple of questions:

1. It’s not a driveway? So he wasn’t blocking anything? Please clarify. Like, is it your dad’s property or a public space?
2. You can’t read screamed words? You mean you can’t understand?

llien

Taking more than one spot with Ford Ka... requires some skill...

Jokes aside, put text explaining why you park there and stop wasting parking space, you should be fine.

Also, as UK is filled with outdoor cameras and the person who contacted you is rather polite, chances of "bad consequences" are rather small.

geomon

If you're not parking on their property or property designated as a No Parking area, they can take the note and go fuck themselves with it.

milkham

So wait I have a couple of questions:

1. It's not a driveway? So he wasn't blocking anything? Please clarify. Like, is it your dad's property or a public space?
2. You can't read screamed words? You mean you can't understand?

1) It is not a driveway, it looks like a driveway, but it is half my neighbor's property and half mine. Also, for clarification the screaming guy is not the neighbor who shares the property line. My dad had no legit right to ask the guy not to park there.

2) the note my dad left was in chinese and I didn't know he left it so I just got woken up in the morning by a guy screaming at me while holding up a note in chinese. ( I am the son of immigrants and cannot read chinese)

norm9

My brother's street has parking on only one side of the street so it's always a clusterfuck of cars jockeying.

My street and the closest sidestreet has street cleaning so it's always a mess too.

Once parked further down the street for street cleaning and got a note, probably from an old person. I was mad for a second and then laughed it off. I try not to park in front of the same houses, but if that's the only spot left, sorry bro.

The post you quoted mentioned "regional, in the UK" so maybe it's down to you being from London. In South Staffs/Midlands, I've always encountered people avoiding parking outside peoples homes.

I'm not from London originally. The only difference outside of London is that some people who live in places where there is more space, haven't yet been forced to recognise the reality of the situation and still try and claim the road outside their own house. Those people are wrong. By the standards of the UK and all local standards. There is nowhere in the UK where you should feel bad about parking in front of someone's house. Some people feel differently. Those people are fools.

What is so controversial about saying that the OP should rotate his spot around and not park in front of the same damn house everyday that isn't his?

What if you got on a bus and there was just 1 other person on the bus and that person was seated in a 2-seater row? Yes, technically it is perfectly legal for you to walk up to that seat and plop yourself down right next to the person. Yes, you could do that every single day if the situation arose, but you'd be committing some obvious social blunders and would probably be making the person feel uncomfortable.

Would the person be right to be annoyed? Would it be acceptable for them to ask if you could give them some space and sit somewhere else, at least on certain days? Of course it would!

It may technically be legal for you to confine that annoyance to just one unlucky homeowner, but you're definitely, as the note says, "lacking in awareness" if you do.

Share the annoyance with others on the block. There's no reason why one person or family should have to deal with your car in front of their house every single day.

norm9

If they don't have legal right to park their car there, then you should tell the police and have them towed.

You're describing what sounds like a very different situation, and then pretending other people don't get it. See, if it's public property, then the public can use it for whatever it's zoned for, and tough cookies if you disagree with how somebody uses public property because they have as much of a right to it as anybody else. If it's zoned for someone to sit there and eat fried cheese off of a hooker's ass, then by golly, it's their goddamn civic duty to eat that cheese off of my ass in that parking spot.

But if it's a road that is zoned for public parking, and the public wants to park their car there, then they should.

But if it's illegal to park there as you're saying it is, then everybody would agree with you.

And of course, if you're disabled and need that space for a disability recognized by the government, then that's a shitty government who will just paint lines on the ground for you and expect that covers it. At least where I live in MA, it's pretty common for people with a disability to have a reserved space in front of their house/property. Elderly, mobility disabled, the blind, etc., see it pretty often. The only gray area I could see here is with like, pregnant people or a person who is temporarily disabled where having the space is really critical for them but it's a short term thing that the state wouldn't likely put a permit in for.

It might be legal to park six cars on the street, but it isn't neighborly.

1) It is not a driveway, it looks like a driveway, but it is half my neighbor's property and half mine. Also, for clarification the screaming guy is not the neighbor who shares the property line. My dad had no legit right to ask the guy not to park there.

That sounds like an easement issue, and normally no one can park there so everyone has access to their property. My driveway is right next to another driveway between two houses. Each property owns part of the driveway, and no one can park in it. House 1 owns part of it but can't park there so House 2 can access their garage at the end of the driveway. House 2 can't park in the driveway either. So glad my property line ends before the easement.

SamTrips

Neo Member
Oooh I love a good parking drama.

We live on a very busy street and often the space in front of our house is taken. It does piss me off a bit but generally you have to accept, as a homeowner, that you don't own the street. People are going to park there, we are near 3 schools so have to accept that.

It still really pissed me off that people in the flats opposite left their car in front of ours for 2 weeks while they went on holiday, we've got small kids so it would be nice to have an opportunity to park in front of our own house, you know? Just a daily chance, that's fine, but just ditching your vehicle in front of someone else's house for such an extended period is - yes, technically legal - but a thing only an arsehole actually does.

My neighbours put out parking cones to mark their space, which is not allowed and frankly a pain in the arse. But I'm not going to report them as who needs beef with the next door neighbours?

Saganator

I'm gonna use this thread to bitch about my own parking experiences. I used to live in a fairly large condo complex. Everyone gets 1 reserved parking spot, and then there are a fair amount of visitor parking spots scattered throughout the complex. In my section of the complex, there were 8 visitor spots and about 18 units in the area the parking lot was for. There are more visitor spots, but they're pretty far away and it's always a last resort to park there. Most of the visitor spots were used by people who lived there but had a 2nd car.

There was one family that hogged up 4 of the 8 visitor spots. 1 car for the dad, 1 car for the mom, 1 car for each of their grown daughters, and then an old Chevy Nova. The old Nova almost never got driven, every couple weeks he'd get a warning sticker on the car saying it's about to be towed if it doesn't move. So he moves it another visitor spot and never moves again until he gets another warning sticker. They also play musical cars when one of them leaves. So if one of the daughters leaves for work or whatever, and dad is parked in their reserved spot, dad will move car from reserved spot to the visitor spot the daughter just left. They watched the parking lot like hawks, too. If one of the family members is parked far away, and someone who's parked in a closer visitor spot leaves, they'll come out and move their car into the close spot that just opened up.

There were times when I'd get home late and there would be no visitor spots, not even the far away spots. I'd have to park on a street blocks away. I remember being irrationally pissed off when walking up to my condo and seeing all their fucking cars, the shitty Nova, and their empty reserved spot.

Are you double parking though? Also I'd avoid parking down a street i didn't live in overnight. I can see if you're parked there a couple hours visiting someone. Just park somewhere else so your car doesn't get fucked with. Also how come you have no parking at home?

Minun

Neo Member
What does the front of a house look like in the UK for this claim to make any sense?

That post is referring to streets containing terraced houses with no individual driveways, just a very small front garden. Parking in these areas is a bit of a free-for-all. The OP's neighbourhood is, I assume, fairly similar in terms of parking.

faulkland-road-oldfield-park-bath-000022003_100998001337_IMG_10.jpg

Okada

Also how come you have no parking at home?

It's really not that uncommon to lack space to park at home? I live on a one way street with no off road parking, I can sometimes end up 2 streets away from my house. It's all fair game.

The only thing I'd say is stop taking up more than one space.

it sucks when people parks in front of your house tbh, legal or not, specially if parking space is tight so you really should learn to park uphill with your car op

this thread reminded me where we used to live, the influx of families and shit with at the very least 2 cars per household (more when they were students) was a fucking nightmare, you had both sides covered with cars in a not so even place with really inclined hills and tight streets. the ones that had it worst were people living in the tight turns of the street, they always had their cars scratched by other cars lol

in instances like that we didnt care if they parked their car in front of our house or filled the dead end street because that made it easier to get out of there

Top Bottom