• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Volodja

ok so my only gripe so far about the game is that town portals timeout after a while. I went afk, and came back and it had closed...

I see no reason for this to be a mechanic. At least we have Waypoints, but even then I had to walk and fight across a big zone to get to where I was...
Instances reset every 8-15 minutes if you aren't in it to lessen the load on the servers, I imagine.

injurai

Banned
Any one knows what exactly post processing options does in PoE? Its heavy in performance, but it doesnt changes scene at all.

I dont see any difference

Post processing has more to do with particle and volumetric effects as well as lighting and shadow work. It doesn't do much in terms of texture, wireframe, AA, Anisotrphic filtering or any of that. Go into that Fetid Pool in Act 1 and you will probably be able to tell a difference in what post-processing does.

Perkel

Banned
I haven't really been keeping up with this game. So how does it compare to D3?

23rd you can play it yourself. Play for 6 hours and make your own opinion.

I play it since march 2012 with limited content and i still want to play more.

For me it's the diablo which most of D2 players waited for.

Torec

Neo Member
I haven't really been keeping up with this game. So how does it compare to D3?

I think it's easier to make a comparison between Path of Exile and Diablo 2. Path is much more of a sequel to Diablo 2 rather than an attempt at progressing the genre like Diablo 3. Path of Exile has its very own streaming super star, Kripparian, who plays every night. Check his stream out some time to get a feel for the game.

KKRT00

Post processing has more to do with particle and volumetric effects as well as lighting and shadow work. It doesn't do much in terms of texture, wireframe, AA, Anisotrphic filtering or any of that. Go into that Fetid Pool in Act 1 and you will probably be able to tell a difference in what post-processing does.

Look almost the same minus bloom and some color grading on particles from time to time.
But its good zone for shots, thanks :)

Comparison Post-Processin On and Off :)
iw9yMY1T3J1Nc.png
ibgdJkoDUQMqmt.png

ieA37Ne95F6Pc.png
ii510hNqeBEK5.png

iW77B3E7mqPiY.png
iW77B3E7mqPiY.png

ic7icuIJBOewC.png
i2HfdOan5mJmN.png

--
Path of Exile has its very own streaming super star, Kripparian, who plays every night. Check his stream out some time to get a feel for the game.

Kripparrian started streaming with WoW and Diablo 3, after Diablo 3 he quited job, because his stream was so successful and we was first who cleared Inferno Hardcore and it was before nerf. Video when he first started playing PoE is so hilarious, he was such a noob :)

Start around 0:39, its worth watching just for laugh and interview with Chris Wilson :)
http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp/b/326488594

injurai

Banned
Look almost the same minus bloom and some color grading on particles from time to time.
But its good zone for shots, thanks :)

Hmm, well I'm going of the standard definition of the term, to actually know what it does for this game we would have to dig into the code itself.

Those are some mighty fine shots though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fantastic pictures, KKRT00!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey PoE-gaf, anyone have any cool guide/video that shows how the skillsystem works ( not the passive one mind you, the whole put things in linked weaponslots and whatnot ).

<3

JWong

Banned
Hey PoE-gaf, anyone have any cool guide/video that shows how the skillsystem works ( not the passive one mind you, the whole put things in linked weaponslots and whatnot ).

<3

That Gamespot interview had a good one, I think.

A brief summation of Chris slotting in different gems and showing different effects. I think it was early in the video.

injurai

Banned
That curse video was awesome. I hope they continually update this game similiarly to what was done with Wow, or TF2.

Because D3 became stagnate in terms of content, while attention was channeled to fixing the poor game mechanics.

Burt

really love Fetid Pool, looks really amazing :)

Ha, I always thought Fetid Pool was the biggest piece of shit in this game. Every time I start a character I always end up chasing one last monster for like 10 minutes to finish that quest off.

injurai

Banned
Ha, I always thought Fetid Pool was the biggest piece of shit in this game. Every time I start a character I always end up chasing one last monster for like 10 minutes to finish that quest off.

Someone doesn't have experience clearing the den of evil then. I never have to track down straggling enemies. It's all about how you path through the areas.

Burt

Someone doesn't have experience clearing the den of evil then. I never have to track down straggling enemies. It's all about how you path through the areas.

Yeah, I've been in beta since spring and still haven't gotten a character past 27 just because I dread the thought of wipes, especially the last couple months when we've been getting close. Still, no matter how I pathed for all my characters, bouncing between walls and moving up a foot at a time, some stupid slow ass zombie would always elude me.

Perkel

Banned

Den of Evil was in diablo2 iconic quest and Fetid pool is just created with D2 fans in mind. I had tear in my eye when i played it first time.

JWong

Banned
Also, Fetid Pool is a side-quest. You don't need to complete it to progress the story, and the rewards are not really beneficial at the beginning.

I can think of worst side-quests that don't explain anything, like FFX dodge lightning 100 times.

injurai

Banned
Also, Fetid Pool is a side-quest. You don't need to complete it to progress the story, and the rewards are not really beneficial at the beginning.

I can think of worst side-quests that don't explain anything, like FFX dodge lightning 100 times.

It's obviously a nod at D2 and thats good enough for me.

Volodja

Fetid Pool is also just a big open area instead of connected narrow paths, so searching for the missing monsters is pretty fast and easy compared to Den of Evil where sometimes you had to go back and forth because one Fallen was left wandering around in a dark corner.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait until everything goes dark in act 2 :)

injurai

Banned
Fetid Pool is also just a big open area instead of connected narrow paths, so searching for the missing monsters is pretty fast and easy compared to Den of Evil where sometimes you had to go back and forth because one Fallen was left wandering around in a dark corner.

Den of Evil is made up of 3 identical map sections and is not hard at all to make sure you've cleared everything.

Volodja

Den of Evil is made up of 3 identical map sections and is not hard at all to make sure you've cleared everything.
Never had a problem with Den of Evil, it's really easy and fast to clear it 99% of the times, but sometimes one Fallen remains alive because he was revived the split second before you killed the Shaman and went behind a corner and at the very end you have to backtrack through the corridors to find him and it takes a couple minutes more.
Fetid Pool doesn't really have this "issue", being so wide open.

injurai

Banned
Never had a problem with Den of Evil, it's really easy and fast to clear it 99% of the times, but sometimes one Fallen remains alive because he was revived the split second before you killed the Shaman and at the very end you have to backtrack through the corridors to find him and it takes a couple minutes more.
Fetid Pool doesn't really have this "issue", being so wide open.

lol which reminds me, I had explode corpse on my witch, so the necromancer didn't have any bodies to revive
KuGsj.gif

Volodja

lol which reminds me, I had explode corpse on my witch, so the necromancer didn't have any bodies to revive
KuGsj.gif
Yeah, I've only played a couple of characters and one has Cold damage and the other has Raise Zombies, because fuck Necromancers in general.

Yoshichan

Are no one posting builds because everyone's keeping them secret?

Never had a response to mine.
All my builds were from closed beta :( I have a particular one that I'm going for on day 1 but it won't be my "main" character. Sorry, I didn't see your build - could you link it again? I'll comment on it as soon as I can (heading out for a couple of hours).

JWong

Banned
All my builds were from closed beta :( I have a particular one that I'm going for on day 1 but it won't be my "main" character. Sorry, I didn't see your build - could you link it again? I'll comment on it as soon as I can (heading out for a couple of hours).

Yeah, since there's no OB calc, my ideas take more precedence than looking at the calc. The calc is to give an idea. I'm planning to take the Ghost Reaver Keystone that's not even in CB.

Thoughts on this build?

Increased AoE range, Elemental damage, Resistance, Armor, ES, then that ES leech keystone that's in the top left somewhere.

Just playing around. Gonna to be Slammin' the ground. Running Added Fire and Hatred. It feels like there's not enough damage, but it's really hard to calculate without getting the gear.

Into

I wonder just how many people Kripp will end up bringing to this game, his stream and YouTube shows are popular for just a guy playing games.

I really hope it is a great game, i love the dark, grimy 90's ish graphics.

Got 3 days to decide on which class, is the Witch sort of a Necromancer D2 or Warlock from WoW? Marauder is the Warrior type?

Will be there day 1 to try it out

Perkel

Banned
I wonder just how many people Kripp will end up bringing to this game, his stream and YouTube shows are popular for just a guy playing games.

I really hope it is a great game, i love the dark, grimy 90's ish graphics.

Got 3 days to decide on which class, is the Witch sort of a Necromancer D2 or Warlock from WoW? Marauder is the Warrior type?

Will be there day 1 to try it out

Witch - Sorceress, Necromancer
Maruder - Barbarian
Shadow - Assasin
Templar - Paladin. Necromancer
Duelist - Pala without auras ?
Ranger - Amazon

Keep in mind those are just looking like that + initial skills but overall you can't compare it. All classes can be anything.

neoism

Kripparrian started streaming with WoW and Diablo 3, after Diablo 3 he quited job, because his stream was so successful and we was first who cleared Inferno Hardcore and it was before nerf. Video when he first started playing PoE is so hilarious, he was such a noob :)

Start around 0:39, its worth watching just for laugh and interview with Chris Wilson :)
http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp/b/326488594

lol holy shit. kripp is hilarious... also mouse wheel please tell me that was patched in... I love mouse wheel too.. :/
lol I've watched kripp stream POE for a month or so, haven't played yet, but its fun to watch.. he's so good at the game know lol I didn't know he even had a job... I'm sure he make 3k or more a month on streaming though.

Valnen

I wonder how viable a melee witch in heavy armor would be. I know Templar is supposed to be the STR/INT hybrid but I dislike his design/animations. With the necromancer-like skills it could be fun, you would basically be a black knight of some sort.

injurai

Banned
lol holy shit. kripp is hilarious... also mouse wheel please tell me that was patched in... I love mouse wheel too.. :/
lol I've watched kripp stream POE for a month or so, haven't played yet, but its fun to watch.. he's so good at the game know lol I didn't know he even had a job... I'm sure he make 3k or more a month on streaming though.

I remember when I first introduced everyone to Kripp during the D3 Beta OT, and every was shitting on my saying I was crawling up on his dick if I honestly believed he would beet Athene.

I want to go range with a bow, which would be better the Shadow or Ranger? Seems the Ranger starts out with a lot more damage passives but I really like the look/voice acting of the shadow, just don't want to gimp myself too much.

JWong

Banned
I wonder how viable a melee witch in heavy armor would be. I know Templar is supposed to be the STR/INT hybrid but I dislike his design/animations. With the necromancer-like skills it could be fun, you would basically be a black knight of some sort.

It's easy to avoid useless stat passives if you dive straight into another tree.

But, then again, if you want to use int gems or dex gems, picking up like 60 stat points worth is good to be able to use those gems until the end. The skill tree allows for easy pick ups of other stats.

I want to go range with a bow, which would be better the Shadow or Ranger? Seems the Ranger starts out with a lot more damage passives but I really like the look/voice acting of the shadow, just don't want to gimp myself too much.

Anyone can end up having a incredible bow build. If you're starting for the first time, you'll probably remake characters, so I suggest going Ranger, then get a feel for the game before making another bow character.

I've seen bow marauders destroying everything. I personally like making the duelist with bows.

Into

Witch - Sorceress, Necromancer
Maruder - Barbarian
Shadow - Assasin
Templar - Paladin. Necromancer
Duelist - Pala without auras ?
Ranger - Amazon

Keep in mind those are just looking like that + initial skills but overall you can't compare it. All classes can be anything.

Great

Will be a Marauder or Witch then, will try to get as many of my friends to try the game out. Since its F2P, it should not be too difficult

injurai

Banned

I think I would go shadow for such a build.

Deadly

I'm thinking of doing something like a frozen orb/nova sorc in d2. Nova is Shock Nova so that's pretty simple but any tips for something ala frozen orb? A skill that would freeze often? I'd go for cast speed+radius for passives and Energy shield + chaos inoculation since it sounds quite strong.

Perkel

Banned
I remember when I first introduced everyone to Kripp during the D3 Beta OT, and every was shitting on my saying I was crawling up on his dick if I honestly believed he would beet Athene.

Krip tips for Athene was just hilarious to watch

completely annihilated him

Deadly said:
I'm thinking of doing something like a frozen orb/nova sorc in d2. Nova is Shock Nova so that's pretty simple but any tips for something ala frozen orb? A skill that would freeze often? I'd go for cast speed+radius for passives and Energy shield + chaos inoculation since it sounds quite strong.

My choice would be : Ice spear + Fork + Chain.

As it was fun in D2 that skill was just mad and OP.

injurai

Banned
Krip tips for Athene was just hilarious to watch

completely annihilated him

Oh man this brings back some good times. I really did enjoy D3 for those first 2 weeks, but after that seeing Act 4 and 5 I knew Blizzard really had no fucking Idea what they were doing. and those BS mobs in nightmare and up.

Kripp really is a legend, pulling off what he did.

Yoshichan

Nostalgia video, right there.
Something I've never understood is what is the point of classes if everyone can do everything?
It's a huge passive tree. As a ranger, you'd have to spend a lot of "filler"-points in order to get to templars side of the tree etc.

Top Bottom