• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

I love the developer name, "Grinding Gear Games", especially since when I first saw it, I thought it was the genre. Also, I'm a sucker for double entendres.

Morokh

This game is too confusing.

Yeah I feel like the people who were bitching about not being able to respec in T2 (despite the skill trees being quite simple there .. xD )

An official in-depth video guide, or written guide to how the thing is supposed to work would'nt hurt them a bit, because I can see that becoming a massive turn-off for many people.

And well ... once again, dark and gritty is good .... but damn are the characters in this game butt ugly ! and I don't know if it will end up being a good or a bad thing for cosmetic items ....

Otherwise the couple of hours I was able to put into it after the launch were pretty fun, and while starting slow, the feel of the game seems to improve quite rapidly.

Now I just have to figure were to put some of the points I stored, because i HATE going out completely bind in games like this.

Wunder

Yeah I feel like the people who were bitching about not being able to respec in T2 (despite the skill trees being quite simple there .. xD )

An official in-depth video guide, or written guide to how the thing is supposed to work would'nt hurt them a bit, because I can see that becoming a massive turn-off for many people.

And well ... once again, dark and gritty is good .... but damn are the characters in this game butt ugly ! and I don't know if it will end up being a good or a bad thing for cosmetic items ....

Otherwise the couple of hours I was able to put into it after the launch were pretty fun, and while starting slow, the feel of the game seems to improve quite rapidly.

Now I just have to figure were to put some of the points I stored, because i HATE going out completely bind in games like this.

Me too, especially for a game that is touted as a 'hardcore' RPG, it makes me feel like the choices I make at the start of the game (where I ostensibly will know the least) will factor in greatly to how my character ends up at the end of the game, and that always makes me feel uneasy.

SparkTR

Me too, especially for a game that is touted as a 'hardcore' RPG, it makes me feel like the choices I make at the start of the game (where I ostensibly will know the least) will factor in greatly to how my character ends up at the end of the game, and that always makes me feel uneasy.

Does that really matter? The appeal of these games is experimenting on different builds and strategies. If you're half-way interested in this game you'll be making dozens of new characters, and with each you have more experience and new ideas to iterate on. Making a shit character is part of that experience.

I notice that lot of people are often scared to PC RPGs (From the Infinity Engine games to ARPGs) because they look complex and too deep to just jump in, but that's exactly how you're supposed to experience them.

Boo, some of the character names I wanted were already taken :(

Did snag one I like though. Will have to go through my lists of names and figure out what else I want to use that's still available. One thing the battletag system does right, not having to worry about whether a name is free or not.

I just played up to the first town messing around though. I'll probably restart with the proper class and name combination I want once I figure that all out. Will take a more serious crack at the game in the next few days over the weekend.

JWong

Banned

They designed the game so you will be rebuilding characters from scratch.

Wunder

Does that really matter? The appeal of these games is experimenting on different builds and strategies. If you're half-way interested in this game you'll be making dozens of new characters, and with each you have more experience and new ideas to iterate on. Making a shit character is part of that experience.

I notice that lot of people are often scared to PC RPGs (From the Infinity Engine games to ARPGs) because they look complex and too deep to just jump in, but that's exactly how you're supposed to experience them.

They designed the game so you will be rebuilding characters from scratch.

Valid points, I suppose these things are a part of the genre - I just don't like getting the feeling that I just wasted 50 hours levelling up a character that will be useless in endgame because I unknowingly put points into a something rather than maxing out something else. Though with the skill gem system it seems you can only really flub your passive tree?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All alone in Mumble now :(

Kalnos

Banned
Valid points, I suppose these things are a part of the genre - I just don't like getting the feeling that I just wasted 50 hours levelling up a character that will be useless in endgame because I unknowingly put points into a something rather than maxing out something else. Though with the skill gem system it seems you can only really flub your passive tree?

If you were patient you could farm/trade for a shit ton of 'Orb of Regret' and just redo your whole build. Each orb is one passive skill tree point refunded.

Xyber

Got to lvl 24 by myself and it's 9 AM here so I really need some sleep now..

I really like it so far. I've not been lucky when it comes too loot though, all the good stuff are not for my build so I got a bunch of good stuff in my stash for other characters now.

Sunk a lot of time into Act I today, had a blast. Everything feels better. I've died a few times due to getting swarmed, shit is pretty crazy at times. The Ground Slam build seems pretty potent so far dps wise but I feel like my health/armor are too low

Jira

Got this earlier:

GvpUf5v.png

Have a 25 Templar and a 16 Ranger thus far. Sad that it took over a decade for someone to move the genre forward but hey here we are and we didn't have to pay a damn thing. Gonna go do some Brutus runs for my Mara twink...yeah I'm already twinking and the game hasn't been out 24 hours.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Go to sleep, Brutus!

You'll get enough respec points during quests to correct errors. But if you want to completely overhaul your skill set and passive tree, you're better off starting

Okay, settled on an EK + Bear Trap + Viper Strike Witch. Tried a Shadow in CB but always had mana problems. Witch is way easier to start with mana.

Enjoyed the few hours I played last night, but was getting a little annoyed with 'hit detection'. Felt like I was missing a lot, and when I was hitting I couldn't really tell I was hitting unless I kept an eye on the health bars.
Magic was the worst for this, there's no real feel of 'impact' unlike D3 which does manage to do this well. Yes, this is a beta and I expect that to be pointed out, but at the same time... it's a beta and it's worth pointing this out (but probably on the official forums).

Mentioned it last night, but poorly worded, flasks that drop as loot should be on the loot timer to stop over zealous hoovers mopping them all up. Also the loot timer should be longer/slower, as by the time you've noticed what's dropped the timer is pretty much near the end.

Yoshichan

So far, mid Cruel is easier than normal :lol... it's just a lot slower!

KKRT00

Enjoyed the few hours I played last night, but was getting a little annoyed with 'hit detection'. Felt like I was missing a lot, and when I was hitting I couldn't really tell I was hitting unless I kept an eye on the health bars.
Magic was the worst for this, there's no real feel of 'impact' unlike D3 which does manage to do this well. Yes, this is a beta and I expect that to be pointed out, but at the same time... it's a beta and it's worth pointing this out (but probably on the official forums).

Mentioned it last night, but poorly worded, flasks that drop as loot should be on the loot timer to stop over zealous hoovers mopping them all up. Also the loot timer should be longer/slower, as by the time you've noticed what's dropped the timer is pretty much near the end.
Strange, i always know when i hit something with spells. There is spell splash, blood splash, there is elemental effect on mobs and sound effect.

Melee is improved too, i'm using double strike and it works much better than it used to.

So far, mid Cruel is easier than normal :lol... it's just a lot slower!

Have You even slept? lol

Teknoman

oh my god why am I still awake, release me from your grip you silly game

lol I had to pull myself away. Definitely has Diablo II level claws. The characters arent too bad so far either.

Strange, i always know when i hit something with spells. There is spell splash, blood splash, there is elemental effect on mobs and sound effect.

Melee is improved too, i'm using double strike and it works much better than it used to.

Have You even slept? lol

It's lacking something.

Physical and visual feedback i'd say. The enemies need to flinch a little and the sound effects need to be a little chunkier for lack of a better word. Definitely need to be louder. Strange that PoE got the music and voice balance right, but the sound effects are muted compared to everything else, while D3 is the total opposite (too loud sounds, everything else is muted...aside from a few key conversations).

Morokh

When I say I hate going it blind it's that usually, I play the game with a rough plan in mind even if it's the first time. (and once that's done there will be plenty of experimenting done, trust me :D )

With PoE so far i can't seem to get that past the first few points that are really basic things.

With more 'classic' skill trees (Diablo 2 / Torchlight 2) I can get a grasp of how things seem to work, know at which level I'll get things, and I can quickly get a rough idea of where I'm going and what I'll be reaching for, even I might make adjustments along the way and if it ends up being bad.

I'll figure it out in due time, but as I said I can see it being one of the main reasons why some people will just abandon there and not play the game seeing how many do already struggle with simpler skill trees.

That is one thing D3 really got right. The impact from a fight.

Yes and No, they did get it right for sure, but they overdid it from the start, and it kind of toned down the sense of progression you're supposed to have in these kind of games.

Jira

Physical and visual feedback i'd say. The enemies need to flinch a little and the sound effects need to be a little chunkier for lack of a better word. Definitely need to be louder. Strange that PoE got the music and voice balance right, but the sound effects are muted compared to everything else, while D3 is the total opposite (too loud sounds, everything else is muted...aside from a few key conversations).

Yeah that's pretty much my conclusion too. The default movement speed and attack speed is slower than I think most people would like. Also, the game lacks a punch for a lot of the combat spell effects and the animations to go along with it. Really it's something they can fix very easily and isn't a design flaw but merely something that took a back seat to everything else. Needless to say I love the game seeing as I just played it for 12 hours.

Jira

Absolutely. The combat is much better in D3, but that's really it.

Yeah the combat is the only thing Blizzard can hold over the genre and I don't see anyone matching or exceeding that for some time. PoE's combat gets faster once you get around 30-40 (Cruel difficulty) so it's just the start that's kinda slower (especially for Melee autoattacks).

Teknoman

Yeah the combat is the only thing Blizzard can hold over the genre and I don't see anyone matching or exceeding that for some time. PoE's combat gets faster once you get around 30-40 (Cruel difficulty) so it's just the start that's kinda slower (especially for Melee autoattacks).

One thing I think PoE did better is with the skills. Definitely handled skill mods better than Diablo 3.

Also I need get my friends list going so I can join in some co-op while most of us are still early on :p But I should probably be getting some sleep now...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Blizzard has always had a knack for that stuff. I picked up Cleave finally, and man was I underwhelmed when I used it.

I think the melee experience last night left me flat. Ranger impact feels better, but I think that's because you can see the arrow hit and thud. Also, I wasn't enjoying mobs moving out of the way of the slow swing animation of the Marauder, but I guess that's only fair, since I was doing the same thing when they were attacking.

Teknoman

Once you start finding some attack speed upgrades, it gets better, but yeah still needs improvement on the sounds and reaction.

Top Bottom