• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

KPJZKC

Jesus. Merciful. Christ.

Have been sitting here playing for like 12 hours. My level 25 glass cannon witch bit the dust, so I decided it's time to sleep. So fucking good. It's Diablo 2 HD.

Dreavus

Why is the "lightning/ice/fire walker" traits so early in the Witch skill tree (going north west)? I'm only level ten, I've seen maybe 5 skills total, and I'm expected to choose which element I'm going to main in? :|

Wunder

Thanks! I'm around level 9 now so I got the very basics, but this cleared up some assumptions I had with the classes and all that. So as a Ranger, would I be trying to pump dex? I looked at my stats and it didnt look like I was gaining any stats outside of the passive skills I put in. I'm worried I won't have enough mana to sustain my spells, but I also went south rather than north and I'm heading towards the Strength side.

Also, is there a reason not to level your skill up when you can? I understand that sometimes the skill will up the mana cost, but how do you know when that happens? One more thing, when choosing items on the floor, what's an easy way to compare/contrast the item to your current gear? It seems impossible to pick everything up and then choose, but I also feel lost in terms of my upgrade path.

Thanks!

KKRT00

Thanks! I'm around level 9 now so I got the very basics, but this cleared up some assumptions I had with the classes and all that. So as a Ranger, would I be trying to pump dex? I looked at my stats and it didnt look like I was gaining any stats outside of the passive skills I put in. I'm worried I won't have enough mana to sustain my spells, but I also went south rather than north and I'm heading towards the Strength side.

Also, is there a reason not to level your skill up when you can? I understand that sometimes the skill will up the mana cost, but how do you know when that happens? One more thing, when choosing items on the floor, what's an easy way to compare/contrast the item to your current gear? It seems impossible to pick everything up and then choose, but I also feel lost in terms of my upgrade path.

Thanks!

Mana cost increases with every level of skill gem.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ahh I just saw that htey added 18 new enemy types and a lot more mutations. I think that should be one of their priorities going forward. Having lots of enemy types goes a long way.

KPJZKC

Why is the "lightning/ice/fire walker" traits so early in the Witch skill tree (going north west)? I'm only level ten, I've seen maybe 5 skills total, and I'm expected to choose which element I'm going to main in? :|

With the way the elements are laid out, I don't think it would be a big problem at all to take two! I was considering running summon/lightning/fire, but once I got the minus lightning resistance curse I didn't think it would be worth the effort! I imagine it's extremely useful for higher difficulty levels though (for specific resist mobs).

Is there anything interesting I can do with Chaos Inoculation as a witch? I'm planning to get as much Energy Shield as possible along with recharge rate and life leech -> shield.

The only low health buff I can see is Pain Attunement (30% spell damage)

There has to be more, right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
act 2... everything has like 2000% more hp :lol

KPJZKC

Is there anything interesting I can do with Chaos Inoculation as a witch? I'm planning to get as much Energy Shield as possible along with recharge rate and life leech -> shield.

If you use Chaos Inoculation your max HP is reduced to 1, right? So I'm not sure you could ever have an active "low health" buff, as you'd be dead. Has to be something like 35% of your max?

Card Boy

Banned

Look up build of the week 14 on what you can do with CI. There are lots of things that synergize with it.

With Chaos Inoculation, you are always considered at full life (1/1). You cannot be considered on low life (can't split a single life point).

Any "x on full life" mods will work, such as the Melee Damage on Full Life support gem. You can also run Blood Rage with no downside because you become immune to its chaos damage.

Mana cost increases with every level of skill gem.

Attribute requirements also increase.

KKRT00

I think you should have a separate inventory for scolls and equipment modification tools. Only seems fair.

Just stash them. You can buy from vendors with currency placed in stash. Inventory seems really small at the beginning, but after first act its not as much of a problem, and later on You'll pick up only good whites and rares anyway.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dying left and right... don't even know what I'm doing right now.

Look up build of the week 14 on what you can do with CI. There are lots of things that synergize with it.

Cool! Watching now

With Chaos Inoculation, you are always considered at full life (1/1). You cannot be considered on low life (can't split a single life point).

Any "x on full life" mods will work, such as the Melee Damage on Full Life support gem. You can also run Blood Rage with no downside because you become immune to its chaos damage.

I knew I was confusing something

Yoshichan

Got a Divine Orb... now I feel better :) Got an exalted ninja'd from me 3 four hours ago.

spirity

My love for barrels grows.

fanks.jpg

Yoshichan

I'll be fine guys, thanks :) The worst part is over.

I think I love this game, I...think I want to give more money to them for putting out such a awesome game.

I want to go home and play, screw this whole "work" thing.

Daedalux

Neo Member
Can't take this anymore!!! I want to go home! Screw work. Haha

I played a lot of the closed beta, I'm so excited to get home and play.

mileS

I was like "maybe I'll just play for an hour before bed" oh cool apparently 6 hours have gone by.

The game is fucking awesome.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not liking the combat at all in the game, doesn't 'feel' good at all. D3 had problems, but it got combat spot on.

Yoshichan

thanks for d/c in the middle of a boss fight, ggg

Yoshichan

and again!

Not enough cash for servers, perhaps?

mandiller

This game is great. I just started playing and it's like what I expected Diablo 3 to be like before they unveiled Diablo 3.

Love the idea of vials and gems. There are a few annoyances such as having to carry town portals. Really, they should copy that from D3. More item carry space would be nice too.

I've got a question though. I've been playing as a witch for an hour but I'm not too fond of the spells, I think I'd rather bash stuff. Can you play a Duellist or a Templar like a tank, or do you need to play as a marauder?

Not liking the combat at all in the game, doesn't 'feel' good at all. D3 had problems, but it got combat spot on.

How high have you leveled? The problem with d3 is that the combat at the beginning feels almost as satisfying as the combat at level 60. In PoE it's supposed to feel slow and simple at the beginning, but the combination of auras, curses (which everyone does), totems, multiple active attacks that have synergy with each other, and a ridiculous change in attack speed makes the improvement much more noticeable. Wait till you're at least level 30 or 40, then tell me the combat is awful. Support gems, passive skills and armor/weapons give you a much more unique feel in the sense that you can hone in on precisely what you're going for. But yea, the physics aren't there and the animations lack feedback if that's what you mean.

Yoshichan

Yeah. Combination of animations that look like they were done by a first year student and enemies being a bit harder to target than they should be.

Yoshichan

There we go... 75/75/75 resistance on cruel... time to progress to act 3 :lol

edit: Nevermind, I can't progress when I d/c every 2 minutes. Fuck this shit.

Top Bottom