• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2012 Thread

Hero

pax-east.png

PAX East 2012 is finally drawing near and next weekend will be an entire weekend of game goodness in all its forms of glory. We will be using this thread for news, updates and meet-ups.

Vitals

What: PAX East 2012 will be the third annual Penny Arcade eXpo convention on the east coast after the massive popularity and success of the original PAX (now known as PAX Prime) out in Washington. It is one of the largest public gaming conventions for console, computer and tabletop gaming. In 2011, PAX East reached a record-breaking 69,500 attendees in only its second year.

Where: Boston, MA at the Boston Convention and Exhibit Center (BCEC)

When: April 6th-8th 2012 An important notice here, PAX East 2010 falls on EASTER WEEKEND this year. Unfortunately due to availability in Boston this was the only weekend. As either an added bonus or penalty, Anime Boston will be held during the same weekend in a different part of the city and the rumor is there will be shuttles throughout the weekend offering transportation between the two conventions. Get your game on during the day and get your weeaboo on during the evening. Anything is possible.

Show Hours

April 6 - 10 am to 2 am
April 7 - 10 am to 2 am
April 8 - 10 am to 7 pm

Expo Hall Hours

April 6 - 10 am to 6 pm
April 7 - 10 am to 6 pm
April 8 - 10 am to 6 pm

Badges: 3-day weekend passes have long been sold out and Saturday only badges are sold out as well. There are few Friday-only badges available and plenty of Sunday-only badges left according to the official site. Be cautious of buying badges online (eBay, forums, etc). Fake badges will be confiscated and not replaced with a real badge so be warned.

PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR BADGES IN THIS THREAD, THE HARDER IT IS FOR SCAMMERS TO GET PICTURES OF THE BADGES THE BETTER.

After PAX Prime 2011 was nearly shut-down because of fire safety was compromised due to higher than allowed capacity from fake badges, PAX East has changed the 2012 badge slightly to make it easier to identify legitimate badges.

Newly redesigned official site. http://east.paxsite.com/

Expo map: http://hw1.pa-cdn.com/pax/resources/PAX_East_2012_Expo_Map.pdf

Schedule: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule

PAX Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/official_pax

Guidebook or the app formerly known as the Conventionist
In case you guys didn't see, the guide for PAX East just went live on Guidebook yesterday (the mobile guide for the show).

We're the official app this year (I am one of the creators of Guidebook) and we're super pumped about it. Unfortunately the show just missed some of our super sweet indoor mapping stuff we're working on, but the guide is still really cool none-the-less.

Check it out if you're going: http://guidebook.com/g/paxeast2012

give us feedback too if you have it: @guidebook on twitter or http://guidebook.com/contact

thanks guys!

Panels run by GAFers

Come attend panels run by fellow GAFers over various topics!

-- Nintendo World Report Connectivity Jeopardy Live! (nron10) (Arachnid, Fri. 10am)
Have you ever wanted Jeopardy to be Nintendo/video game-focused? Then come and check out a modified Jeopardy-style round hosted by the staff of Nintendo World Report. If you’re lucky, you could even be a contestant and win prizes! Oh yes, there will be prizes.

With topics testing your knowledge of everything from the release date of Ocarina of Time to the amount of games released for the Virtual Boy, it is a panel worth checking out.

-- Talkin' 'bout My (Content) Generation (Charron) (Naga, Fri. 10am)
It’s not just Doom and Halo maps anymore. The Rock Band Network, and the many other user-generated content platforms out there, have built up a whole world of dedicated gamers producing and selling high-quality content right inside games. Not only does user-generated content keep games alive even longer, it can make rock stars out of diehard fans. And while it’s not easy being (or working with) rock stars, the crazy idea and crazy people behind the Network have changed what user-generated content can be, and not just for rhythm gaming. Join Rock Band Network authors and some Harmonix staff as they look back at over two years of content and discuss the lessons they’ve learned, the hurdles they’ve faced, and what it all means for bringing more user-generated content to even more games

-- Online Gaming Communities and 'Real Life' Relationships (jstevenson) (Cat, Fri. 10:30am)
Are you are a member of one or more online gaming/website communities? Perhaps the friendships and relationships you’ve formed online have made their way into your everyday “real life”. You are certainly not alone. We will discuss the communities we have created and support, and how they help to form and impact real life relationships for gamers of all types. This popular panel from the past 2 years at PAX and PAX East makes a triumphant return with all new panelists.

-- Press XY: Transgender Issues In Gaming (shidoshi) (Cat, Fri. 3pm)
Whether it's Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Resident Evil or Final Fantasy, video games have a long history of transgender characters. You'll find no shortage of transgender people working in the industry too. Join a panel of game designers, writers, and fans to learn about some of the most interesting characters in gaming, and the impressive lineage of transgender game makers. We'll also discuss the impact of sex and gender in blockbuster games that let players choose their sex.

Panelists include:
• Charles Battersby [PC/Xbox Department Lead, Player Affinity]
• Chris Avellone [Creative Director, Obsidian Entertainment]
• Rebecca Heineman [Founding Member, Interplay]
• Jennell Allyn Jaquays [Lead Level Designer (World of Darkness MMO), CCP North America]
• Morgan McCormick [Owner, Translabyrinth]
• shidoshi [News Editor, EGM Media, LLC]

-- From Lurker to Leader: A Frags to Riches Story (GrimBrother One) (Arachnid, Fri. 8:30pm)
Online communities have become an extremely popular method of interaction for gamers, but with thousands of sites and millions of fans it is easy to feel like a single square tile in a enormous game of Tetris. While most people lurk, there are a handful of gamers who maneuver their way into leadership positions and become administrators for their favorite fan-site or even community managers for a game developer.

How does this happen? How do you go from lurker to leader?

Join community leaders as they have an open discussion about how they rose through the ranks, from being members of the community to leading it. Learn how you can follow in their footsteps and how community managers can engage their own fans to create the next generation of leaders.

-- StreetPass Network: Connecting Nintendo 3DS Gamers (Shellshock929) (Naga, Sat. 10am)
It started with one guy’s trip to Japan. Now it’s a worldwide phenomenon! Hear the true story behind StreetPass Network, see how it’s connecting Nintendo gamers in unprecedented ways, and learn the surprising influence it’s having on Nintendo 3DS game development. (Or just come collect a bunch of StreetPass tags!)

-- The Good, The Bad, The Community Manager/PR Rep. AKA How Keeping it Real Can Go So Wrong (element) (Wyvern, Sun. 4:30pm)
It's hard to be a Community or PR Manager - especially when it comes to video games, where the community can go from passionate fan to angry, cursing individual faster than your 360 can power on. This panel will discuss all the good things CM's & PR SHOULD be doing and discuss all the other stuff that just plain needs to stop. We don't need any more incidences like a certain sea-based marketing representative! Let's bring back the sanity, shall we? Our panelists will reach into their bag of tricks and offer helpful tips on how to handle tough situations and we will go over the right and wrong way to get ahead in the Community Management sector of the Video Game Industry. We will also discuss some of the more grey area topics like, is it okay to ask your community to boost your metacritic score? How do you effectively handle trolls in your community? How can you get them to be active and WANT to participate? How far should you go to defend your studio/game? Is it ever okay to lie? This is also a great time to bring your toughest questions for us to answer!

-- Inside Gearbox Software (BuddyC/GBX_AdamF) (Manticore, Sun. 4:30pm)
Gearbox Software is at PAX East with our panel! If you’ve made it to our PAX Prime panels, you will know not to miss this one! Get a behind the scenes look at the Gearbox Software lineup including: Borderlands 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines and other great Gearbox Software franchises. And what is a Gearbox panel without never before seen reveals, huge exclusives, massive surprises, and of course… FREE PIZZA!

-- State of the Game PAX Edition (MarkMan) (Wyvern, Sun. 10:30am)

Competitive gaming has always been a community shunned by mainstream press but it’s still continued to grow. In 2011 we saw the biggest growth for the industry from all angles. We’re looking to get even more mainstream gaming eyes on the industry by featuring journalists, casters, players, and other industry professionals for a night of laughs and learning as we talk all things competitive gaming.
Panelists:

JP McDaniel [Caster / Host, MLG / State of the Game], Sean Plott ‘DAY[9]’ [Caster, DAY[9] TV], Dan ‘Artosis’ Stemkoski [Caster and one-half of Tastosis, GSL], Geoff ‘iNcontroL’ Robninson [Pro SC2 Player, Team Evil Geniuses], Mark ‘MarkMan’ Julio [Sponsorship Manager, FGC Community Leader and MadCatz], Kevin Lin [COO, Twitch.TV], Marcus ‘Dj WHEAT’ Graham [Caster / Twitch.tv Representative, Twitch.TV], Brad Shoemaker [Editor, GiantBomb.com]

--An Uncharted 3 Story: The Chateau, Creation to Ashes (arne) (Naga, Fri. 4:00pm)

Come hear the behind the scenes story of how we created the Chateau level, from beginning concept to final implementation. Justin Richmond, Game Director, and Eric Schatz, Game Designer, will take you inside the fun and occasionally terrifying process of game design at Naughty Dog. We will give a never before seen tour of one of Uncharted 3’s set piece levels, The Chateau. From first idea all the way through to the final burning husk of the level, you will see it all in videos and screenshots. Gasp at our missteps! Laugh at our silly side ventures! Ask us questions! All this and more when you come to The Chateau, Creation to Ashes: An Uncharted Story.

GAF Meet-up

Meet up is Saturday approximately a half hour after the Expo Hall closes so about 6:30 on the inside entrance of the BCEC. We will hang out there for a bit and if people wish to take it elsewhere we will relocate somewhere awesome. For updates private message -PXG- your phone number for text message updates. See you all there tonight!

Hero

You should include information including dates, what to expect in terms of announcements, speculation, etc.

I'll be editing the OP with details. In terms of announcements and speculation there's far too much to list every single thing but if you or anyone else has suggestions feel free to post or PM and I'll be able to add it. I know there are several panels with GAF members on them, if they'd like their panel to be highlighted in the OP I can totally get behind that.

I read the OP and don't know when PAX East 2012 is...

Date is up but at this point if you don't already have a badge you're relegated to a single-day pass. :p

salromano

I'll only be there on Saturday. Heading out late that night to be with the family for the holiday. Going from one state to Boston to another, haha.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
As I've written in the Wii U Speculation Thread, I wonder what Nintendo will showcase in its miniscule booth (412). Will it be Nintendo 3DS for the whole shebang, or will the mystery box known as Wii U also make an appearance? Since CES 2012 the console has not been demonstrated "publicly" on any trade show (it was at GDC, but not on the show floor), will this trend continue or will Nintendo finally begin to open the flood walls?

Unlike Game Developers Conference, PAX East is a public event and unless the console is present there Nintendo will most likely be showered in questions about it, questions that may be unwanted. I don't know who is handling the booth, last year I believe Kit Ellis was in charge. Well, we'll know in about a week.

I personally won't attend as I can't afford it, but I'm looking forward to all reports from the peeps who will attend. I'm mostly interested in what Nintendo will show though any new game announcement from Capcom would surely entice me.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What would give anyone the impression Nintendo was going have Wii U playable on the showfloor?

At any rate, I'll be there starting Thursday! Excited

salromano

The show floor closes at 2pm? What the hell?

Not sure where you're seeing this, but here are the official hours:

Show Hours

April 6 - 10 am to 2 am
April 7 - 10 am to 2 am
April 8 - 10 am to 7 pm

Expo Hall Hours

April 6 - 10 am to 6 pm
April 7 - 10 am to 6 pm
April 8 - 10 am to 6 pm

Shadow780

Not sure where you're seeing this, but here are the official hours:

Show Hours

April 6 - 10 am to 2 am
April 7 - 10 am to 2 am
April 8 - 10 am to 7 pm

Expo Hall Hours

April 6 - 10 am to 6 pm
April 7 - 10 am to 6 pm
April 8 - 10 am to 6 pm

My mistake. What are show hours?

Patryn

Can't wait. The annoying thing is that last year I was living in South Boston, so it was an easy drive in. Now I'm in Medford, so I have to go down the parking lot that is 93 in the morning. Hoping that if I leave early enough and with it being Good Friday it shouldn't be too bad.

BTW, is anyone else's holograms a little messed up? Looks like one of them on one of my 3-day badges misprinted a little or something. Some of the writing is unclear.

KHarvey16

Can't wait. The annoying thing is that last year I was living in South Boston, so it was an easy drive in. Now I'm in Medford, so I have to go down the parking lot that is 93 in the morning. Hoping that if I leave early enough and with it being Good Friday it shouldn't be too bad.

BTW, is anyone else's holograms a little messed up? Looks like one of them on one of my 3-day badges misprinted a little or something. Some of the writing is unclear.

The top one? Yeah, for some reason it looks like an old faded sticker.

I'm pretty sure it's for events that happen outside the expo hall, such as panels and concerts.
Expo halls are for companies to show off the stuff, think of it as like E3 for the public. The Show Hours are the actual venue hours.

Concerts on Friday/Saturday run from 8 - 2.
The Console/Handheld/Board game areas all run to late at night also, which is a great place to hang out and/or discover new games you've never played before.

And then of course that was that one year where someone was complying as the witch and chased people around after hours. Security had no idea whether to stop it (and yes, I think one of them startled the witch)

You should include information including dates, what to expect in terms of announcements, speculation, etc.

Rösti;36387243 said:
As I've written in the Wii U Speculation Thread, I wonder what Nintendo will showcase in its miniscule booth (412). Will it be Nintendo 3DS for the whole shebang, or will the mystery box known as Wii U also make an appearance? Since CES 2012 the console has not been demonstrated "publicly" on any trade show (it was at GDC, but not on the show floor), will this trend continue or will Nintendo finally begin to open the flood walls?

Unlike Game Developers Conference, PAX East is a public event and unless the console is present there Nintendo will most likely be showered in questions about it, questions that may be unwanted. I don't know who is handling the booth, last year I believe Kit Ellis was in charge. Well, we'll know in about a week.

I personally won't attend as I can't afford it, but I'm looking forward to all reports from the peeps who will attend. I'm mostly interested in what Nintendo will show though any new game announcement from Capcom would surely entice me.
Announcements? Nintendo showing the WiiU? HA. We may see some interesting people showing off new stuff, if that's what you're thinking (Harmonix has said they've got something to announce/show at one of the panels, that's about it). With Nintendo's previous attendance records, it's a safe bet that it's going to be all 3DS, all the time (may have a surprise appearance of Xenoblade).

element

Come to my panel! Sunday, April 8, 2012 @ 4:30 PM! We are closing the place down!!

The Good. The Bad, The Community Manager/PR Rep. AKA How Keeping it Real Can Go So Wrong

It’s hard to be a Community or PR Manager - especially when it comes to video games, where the community can go from passionate fan to angry, cursing individual faster than your 360 can power on.

This panel will discuss all the good things CM’s & PR SHOULD be doing and discuss all the other stuff that just plain needs to stop. We don’t need any more incidences like a certain sea-based marketing representative! Let’s bring back the sanity, shall we?

Our panelists will reach into their bag of tricks and offer helpful tips on how to handle tough situations and we will go over the right and wrong way to get ahead in the Community Management sector of the Video Game Industry.

We will also discuss some of the more grey area topics like, is it okay to ask your community to boost your metacritic score? How do you effectively handle trolls in your community? How can you get them to be active and WANT to participate? How far should you go to defend your studio/game? Is it ever okay to lie?

This is also a great time to bring your toughest questions for us to answer!

Panelist:
Stephanie Bayer [Customer Engagement Lead, PopCap Games]
Collin Moore [Community Manager, Zombie Studios]
Emily Halpin [PR Manager, 5th Cell]
Logan DeMelt [Community Manager, Signal Studios]

mollipen

I know there are several panels with GAF members on them, if they'd like their panel to be highlighted in the OP I can totally get behind that.

This was being tracked in the other PAX East thread, so I definitely think it would be nice if it was added to the OP.

salromano

Shoot. I really hate the show's timing this year. So many interesting panels I wish I could attend. Sadly, I only have a day and it's already stacked with appointments!

Chorazin

So fucking stoked, just hope this year is even more awesome than 2010 and 2011! Got my Westin Hotel booking confirmed, my three day pass, and a bunch of events lined up.

Hype!

Hoping to play Max Payne 3 there. Also, excited for the Hitman panel where they are going to do a gameplay walkthrough.

I got a passes for Saturday and Sunday. Going to go out drinking Friday night.

OnPoint

Friday = pax plus concerts
Saturday = sabres/bruins game, general Boston tomfoolery
Sunday = pax again

Should be a ton of fun

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I hope it's not as packed for you guys as PAX prime was last year.

Was a 2 hour wait for most of the big stuff.

I'm so excited, I'm making popcorn now for the show.

I just hope that people keep it civil. I want the developers to sweat from lazy endings, not from the security enforcers hauling people away.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
All the Gaffer panels, from the other thread:

-- Nintendo World Report Connectivity Jeopardy Live! (nron10) (Arachnid, Fri. 10am)
Have you ever wanted Jeopardy to be Nintendo/video game-focused? Then come and check out a modified Jeopardy-style round hosted by the staff of Nintendo World Report. If you’re lucky, you could even be a contestant and win prizes! Oh yes, there will be prizes.

With topics testing your knowledge of everything from the release date of Ocarina of Time to the amount of games released for the Virtual Boy, it is a panel worth checking out.

It’s not just Doom and Halo maps anymore. The Rock Band Network, and the many other user-generated content platforms out there, have built up a whole world of dedicated gamers producing and selling high-quality content right inside games. Not only does user-generated content keep games alive even longer, it can make rock stars out of diehard fans. And while it’s not easy being (or working with) rock stars, the crazy idea and crazy people behind the Network have changed what user-generated content can be, and not just for rhythm gaming. Join Rock Band Network authors and some Harmonix staff as they look back at over two years of content and discuss the lessons they’ve learned, the hurdles they’ve faced, and what it all means for bringing more user-generated content to even more games.

-- Online Gaming Communities and 'Real Life' Relationships (jstevenson) (Cat, Fri. 10:30am)
Are you are a member of one or more online gaming/website communities? Perhaps the friendships and relationships you’ve formed online have made their way into your everyday “real life”. You are certainly not alone. We will discuss the communities we have created and support, and how they help to form and impact real life relationships for gamers of all types. This popular panel from the past 2 years at PAX and PAX East makes a triumphant return with all new panelists.

Whether it’s Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Resident Evil or Final Fantasy, video games have a long history of transgender characters. You’ll find no shortage of transgender people working in the industry too. Join a panel of game designers, writers, and fans to learn about some of the most interesting characters in gaming, and the impressive lineage of transgender game makers. We’ll also discuss the impact of sex and gender in blockbuster games that let players choose their sex.

-- From Lurker to Leader: A Frags to Riches Story (GrimBrother One) (Arachnid, Fri. 8:30pm)
Online communities have become an extremely popular method of interaction for gamers, but with thousands of sites and millions of fans it is easy to feel like a single square tile in a enormous game of Tetris. While most people lurk, there are a handful of gamers who maneuver their way into leadership positions and become administrators for their favorite fan-site or even community managers for a game developer.

How does this happen? How do you go from lurker to leader?

Join community leaders as they have an open discussion about how they rose through the ranks, from being members of the community to leading it. Learn how you can follow in their footsteps and how community managers can engage their own fans to create the next generation of leaders.

-- StreetPass Network: Connecting Nintendo 3DS Gamers (Shellshock929) (Naga, Sat. 10am)
It started with one guy’s trip to Japan. Now it’s a worldwide phenomenon! Hear the true story behind StreetPass Network, see how it’s connecting Nintendo gamers in unprecedented ways, and learn the surprising influence it’s having on Nintendo 3DS game development. (Or just come collect a bunch of StreetPass tags!)

-- The Good, The Bad, The Community Manager/PR Rep. AKA How Keeping it Real Can Go So Wrong (element) (Wyvern, Sun. 4:30pm)
It's hard to be a Community or PR Manager - especially when it comes to video games, where the community can go from passionate fan to angry, cursing individual faster than your 360 can power on. This panel will discuss all the good things CM's & PR SHOULD be doing and discuss all the other stuff that just plain needs to stop. We don't need any more incidences like a certain sea-based marketing representative! Let's bring back the sanity, shall we? Our panelists will reach into their bag of tricks and offer helpful tips on how to handle tough situations and we will go over the right and wrong way to get ahead in the Community Management sector of the Video Game Industry. We will also discuss some of the more grey area topics like, is it okay to ask your community to boost your metacritic score? How do you effectively handle trolls in your community? How can you get them to be active and WANT to participate? How far should you go to defend your studio/game? Is it ever okay to lie? This is also a great time to bring your toughest questions for us to answer!

Gearbox Software is at PAX East with our panel! If you’ve made it to our PAX Prime panels, you will know not to miss this one! Get a behind the scenes look at the Gearbox Software lineup including: Borderlands 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines and other great Gearbox Software franchises. And what is a Gearbox panel without never before seen reveals, huge exclusives, massive surprises, and of course… FREE PIZZA!

I think that's everyone.

I hope it's not as packed for you guys as PAX prime was last year.

Was a 2 hour wait for most of the big stuff.

I just hope that people keep it civil. I want the developers to sweat from lazy endings, not from the security enforcers hauling people away.
Lol if there are fights at the bioware/mass effect conference.

But yeah the 2 hour wait for most stuff was a buzz kill last year. I think I'll go for bioshock infinite first, is it gonna be a playable demo or just a video in a room?

Then I'll go for Max Payne 3 , rockstar always has a themed t-shirt at PAX :D

Hero

All the Gaffer panels, from the other thread:

I think that's everyone.

I used this format since I think it's a lot cleaner, thanks!

hype B^) next friday

swag swag swag , free shirts and etc is :D :D, lol one of my highlights

hopefully lots more dlc/promo codes too
I'm not going to hold my breath on that. It's been a continuous downward spiral in that regard, and with more people attending than ever before, swag will be low in count.

My big wins in previous years though did include a Skate 3 skateboard, and that copy of Borderlands 2. :p (Thanks to GBX_AdamF and the others who had mentioned it at the Prime GAF meet up)

dave is ok

aztek is ok

It's like four exits on 93. Medford GAF represent

Hero

Everyone, let's discuss a GAF meet-up.

It seems Friday would be the better day from the consensus in the last thread. The question is what time and where? Should we just meet at the convention and decide as a group there?

Top Bottom