• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2015 Discussion Thread

Hero

DfE2vRd.png

Vitals

What:

PAX East 2015 will be the sixth annual Penny Arcade eXpo convention on the east coast after the massive popularity and success of the original PAX (now known as PAX Prime) out in Washington. It is one of the largest public gaming conventions for console, computer and tabletop gaming and definitely among the most fun. This year with the new generation of consoles fully in swing hopefully we get to see some awesome new games! Blizzard will be showing off new content for Hearthstone and Overwatch and rumor has it that Harmonix has a current generation version of Rock Band to unveil. While E3 is still a few months away, this should definitely get some momentum going for 2015!

Where:

Boston, MA at the Boston Convention and Exhibit Center (BCEC)

When:

March 6th - 8th, 2015

Show Hours

Friday - 10 am to 12 am
Saturday - 10 am to 12 am
Sunday - 10 am to 7 pm

Weather conditions

This year has been pretty brutal for us northeastern folk and the snow has just been piling up! Be prepared for the weather and cold conditions.

Here's what PAX is stating on their official page:

PAX said:
As we put the final touches on PAX East, we’ve gotten a lot of questions about the weather situation. Although it’s currently forecast to be in the 20s to 40s, you never know for certain this far out.

At the end of the day safety and attendee comfort are our biggest concern, so we would suggest that you please don’t arrive prior to 8 AM because we won’t be able to let you in the building before then. In fact, after that there’s a chance the morning queue line could extend from the queue hall to outside of the building before the show opens at 10 AM. So If you wanted to delay your arrival until 11 AM, you should be able to walk into the Expo Hall unencumbered. It’s entirely up to you, but remember there’s not as much of a queue and you can get out of the cold faster if you show up a little later.

It is also our understanding that public transit will be running in some form or fashion, although everyone should be sure to check for updates at mbta.com and on twitter at @mbta.

And, as always, any other show information will be delivered real-time at @official_pax.

Thanks everyone! We’re looking forward to seeing you next week!

Badges:

All badges are sold out. Try posting in here if you need to buy/sell badges to other GAFers and help each other out!

Newly redesigned official site. http://east.paxsite.com/

Expo map:

QZarml2.jpg

Schedule: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule

PAX Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/official_pax

Guidebook or the app formerly known as the Conventionist

Official app for the convention, very nifty and useful to have for the weekend on your phone. Get this if you are going to the convention!

Link

GAF Meet-up!

Come out and meet your fellow GAFers! Every year it's a complete and total blast! Food, friends, alcohol, the sky is the limit!

The Whiskey Priest, 150 Northern Ave, Boston, MA 02210
Saturday @ 7PM

9QUwwa0.png

Panels and other events by GAF members

Claude.labonte

Will be at Q-bit Games at Booth 2216 with their game Holobunnies. They are launching a Kickstarter campaign the day before PAX and the game will be playable on the show floor. They are promising free candy and you can be featured in the game if you stop by.

thetrin

BudokaiMR2 and I are going to be running the Playism booth as part of the Indie Megabooth (#7164). We've got three games on display (Revolver360 RE:ACTOR, Band Saga, and One Way Heroics Plus), and some cool coupons as well!

Falk

We(Video Game Orchestra) usually have a night concert, but are skipping this year due to a bunch of scheduling conflicts and recording/production crunches.

We'll still 'be around' speaking at a panel with a bunch of other awesome game music community people, as well as hanging out with Swery at the Access Games booth pretty much all of Saturday and Sunday.

Private message me to get added to this list!

Frostburn

Going to my first PAX finally! Wife is coming with and we are making a long weekend of it. We'll have 3DSs for the long lines. Hope to meet up and see some Gaffers there.

Sinistar

Let me know if anyone has a ticket they can part with Please :( I can pay alittle over face value but ebay prices are still crazy : 9

Pudge

PAX #2 for me and I'm going with a press badge. I'm from Florida and I've never seen snow, so I never thought I'd be excited to dig through my closet to find long pants and jackets to wear.

BRING IT ON COLD! BRING IT ON!

Going to my first PAX finally! Wife is coming with and we are making a long weekend of it. We'll have 3DSs for the long lines. Hope to meet up and see some Gaffers there.

So many streetpasses! I hope you guys are ready to complete all the jigsaw puzzeles,

Another pax! Im ready! Btw if anyone is selling a Friday and/or a Saturday can you PM me a friend wants to go and needs tickets.

t hicks

Banned
I'll be there Friday/Saturday, my 2nd PAX! Last year was awesome.

PAX #2 for me and I'm going with a press badge. I'm from Florida and I've never seen snow, so I never thought I'd be excited to dig through my closet to find long pants and jackets to wear.

BRING IT ON COLD! BRING IT ON!

Same here, had to buy some winter clothes...

4th year going, 1st time going with a 3 day pass! Coming from Western Mass can't wait. Hitting up Asus-PC Gamer party and the Warframe Livestream/Afterparty so far.

m@cross

I'll be there Friday/Saturday, my 2nd PAX! Last year was awesome.

Same here, had to buy some winter clothes...

I work 5 minutes from the convention center. A lot can change in the next 10 or so days, but I can tell you this much.

We have a SHIT ton of snow up and down the roads and along sidewalks. It is f-ing cold as hell right now and not changing much.

Driving is going to suck, especially on Friday. My commute at 5:30 takes 300% longer than usual right now.

So be prepared for possible 20 days and negative nights, 1 lane sidewalks, and taxi/uber service on the brink of madness.

Sanjuro

Some rooms opened up at closer hotels today. My friend able to snag one at the Marriott once again. No long walks!

Pudge

Some rooms opened up at closer hotels today. My friend able to snag one at the Marriott once again. No long walks!

Thanks for posting that dude, I found a room that was only 1.5 miles away instead of the 3 I booked weeks ago!

Halabane

I live south of boston and stay in the city for pax. More snow next week in the forecast. Always was able to walk from the hotel but thinking may have to use the bus, even though its less than a mile from the center. Why?

For those coming from warmer spots don't assume the path between you and your walking destination is clear! I know there is a lot of parties away from the site and usually its an easy walk or to walk from your hotel. Sidewalks are not all passable. If you do end up on the street to get around please look for escape routes and have your head on swivel. no joke people, are getting hurt and killed walking on the streets. a lot of the snow mounds are like walls...not just something you can jump into to escape traffic. Not trying to scare you its just means you need to keep more aware of the surroundings than usual and you may need to use the buses more.

I am sure the city will do what they can but its just the laws of physics. They have been working snow since MLK day. Crazy

m@cross

I live south of boston and stay in the city for pax. More snow next week in the forecast. Always was able to walk from the hotel but thinking may have to use the bus, even though its less than a mile from the center. Why?

For those coming from warmer spots don't assume the path between you and your walking destination is clear! I know there is a lot of parties away from the site and usually its an easy walk or to walk from your hotel. Sidewalks are not all passable. If you do end up on the street to get around please look for escape routes and have your head on swivel. no joke people, are getting hurt and killed walking on the streets. a lot of the snow mounds are like walls...not just something you can jump into to escape traffic. Not trying to scare you its just means you need to keep more aware of the surroundings than usual and you may need to use the buses more.

I am sure the city will do what they can but its just the laws of physics. They have been working snow since MLK day. Crazy

The bus has SUCKED lately as far as speed and reliability. Should be improved by the event, but if we get more snow... eek

There is a shuttle to and from the hotels right? At least the ones booked through the website.

With the amount of snow we've had in the last month, I wouldn't count of that being a certainty. We've had an unprecedented amount of snow in very short time, everything has been disrupted.

Pudge

With the amount of snow we've had in the last month, I wouldn't count of that being a certainty. We've had an unprecedented amount of snow in very short time, everything has been disrupted.

Hmm. Well it doesn't hurt to be hopeful until I get there and see what's up. Now I'm at least doubly happy that I grabbed a closer hotel room.

Sober

I'll be flying in Thursday morning into Boston. Sucks to hear about the weather, hopefully I can get a bit of sightseeing in despite that. Anyone gonna be around to hang out later Thursday evening?

m@cross

There is a shuttle to and from the hotels right? At least the ones booked through the website.

Yes, but they will have to contend with the roadway conditions and traffic as well. BY next Friday we may have not had much more snow, but the piled snow is not going anyplace until June. Traffic in the city and to the city has been horrendous the last few weeks, and I expect it won't change much by next Friday.

Just make sure you pack warm, have some cash for the coat check, and leave a little early to go places.

My 5th Pax East and I can't wait. This time after much hard work I was able to obtain a press pass for me and one of my fellow staffers. My wife and daughter and wife will be in tow, making trek from cold assed Delaware to a even colder Boston ;)

But Pax is fun and sorta a mecca for me and the wife.

Can't wait.....

Here are the Nintendo games confirmed for PAX East:

EDIT: Thanks Caspel and ActStriker for warning me about this.
-----
So Nintendo's lineup is actually:

Splatoon
Codename Steam
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Majora's Mask 3D
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Puzzle & Dragons SMB

-----

Crap! If I didn't go to PAX South last month, I'd be all over this (if I was able to get passes for it).

Kilrathi

5th pax east for me, and 7th pax overall (pax 09 and pax prime 2010)

Flying in friday morning and leaving sunday afternoon.

Lookforward to seeing whats up in the indie booths, the show has become bigger on indies then the AAA games.

Jhoan

Rejoining the ranks of Enforcers for my second year in a row. Will set a reminder on my phone about that 7PM GAF meet up on Saturday night. Once I find out what department I got assigned to and my get shift times in a few days, I'll be able to figure if I'll be to make it. So many damn good panels, so little time!

Looking through the schedule and it looks like the Giant Bomb panel will be officially be at 9PM on Friday night at the Albatross theatre:
http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/giant-bomb-2015-fy2015-kickoff-powerpoint-presentation

There's a Just Cause 3 panel on Friday at 6PM in the Albatross theatre which probably gonna be good:
http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/guns-n-rico-just-cause-3s-appetite-for-destruction

Giant Bomb x Gamespot panel on day 2 is another thing to note checking out at 4PM in the Bobcat theatre:
http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/making-video-sausage-with-giant-bomb-gamespot

And if you still can't get enough Giant Bomb, there's Paxamania at 10:30AM in the Albatross theatre with an all star cast. Last year's was pretty fun:
http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/more-video-game-wrestling-nonsense-at-paxamania

Probably going to be working at this time sadly but the Final Fantasy XV is another panel that's of interest to attend and make a note of (!!!):
http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/behind-the-game-designs-of-final-fantasy-xv

As posted in the last thread, if anyone is a fan of Major Nelson at all or has a Microsoft console, Major Nelson Radio is another thing of interest:
http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/major-nelson-radio

I can highlight more stuff such as the transgender characters panel but in short there's dozens of other damn good panels worth checking out this year.

If anyone has a 3DS, I'll be carrying mines on me all weekend long to StreetPass folks. My Mii's name is JipanGAF with the slogan NeoGAF: Believe to further cement that folks did indeed get me. I am so excited to get out NYC again to see Boston even with the weather conditions/public transportation problems.

Looking forward to running into you all on shift. Some of you I briefly met last year and some of you I already know (*cough* Mully, DTJAAAAAM who's work my friend admires).

ngower

I don't have a pass, but live not too far from Boston and plan to head into town for a couple of related events. Will GAF be holding any sort of meetup(s)?

[EDIT] Totally missed it in the OP...

I'm more excited for the floor this year than the panels, as nothing really grabs me.

I'm pretty happy that Riot doesn't have a booth that you can't even walk near due to the crowds, and that Nintendo is back.

Pretty odd to see booths from YouTube and Maker though, IMO. Though Twitch is there so not that far a stretch.

DarkKyo

Super pumped!! I'll be spending a ton of time at the Square Enix booth as I'm super hyped for Heavensward. Maybe I can join up with some GAF peoples and take down Shiva :)

Quadratic

Had to pass on going this year. Hopefully I can attend next year. PAX East is a ton of fun and I love visiting Boston. At least I can catch some panels on Twitch.

I will definitely miss the streetpasses :(

Falk

that puzzling face
P.S. since no one has mentioned them yet, if you have any interest in game music at all (and/or wanna hear some awesome acts) and don't have any plans for the nights yet, you totally should check out the night concerts.

We (Video Game Orchestra) aren't playing this year due to a few overlapping factors, but the shows have always been consistently good, thanks in no small part to Boston's rich music culture (gaming and otherwise)

Here's VGO doing Zelda, last year

Arken2121

I can't wait to meet a lot of you guys I normally don't go to conventions so this will be a blast just relaxing and chatting about games. Can't wait to make new friends.

Hm, I've always wanted to go to some sort of gaming convention, and it looks like it'll be opening the day after my birthday this time, so maybe I'll get around to it this year...

Hey there! we (q-bit games) will be there at booth #2216 with our game Holobunnies, that we're relaunching on Kickstarer one day before the event :D Come and see us, we'll give you candies, real candies. I hope to see GAF members there <3

sceneesti.png

Top Bottom