• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2015 Discussion Thread

Just had a friend cancel, so I've got an extra set of badges. Hoping to sell as a set, at cost.

3 single-day badges (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
$135 (plus $5 shipping)

Anyone interested? Send me a PM.

Edit: Badge is gone.

Jhoan

Depending on how cold it is on Thursday after my friends and I check into the hotel, I'm mighty tempted to go out to Cambridge to check out this restaurant since it sounds cool and cheap. I saw someone recommend the place to a friend on Facebook as a must visit eatery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yume-wo-katare-cambridge

The only problem is that I'm not a fan of fatty rich foods for dietary reasons/concerns. What do you think Boston GAF? Is it worth the trip?

Depending on how cold it is on Thursday after my friends and I check into the hotel, I'm mighty tempted to go out to Cambridge to check out this restaurant since it sounds cool and cheap: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yume-wo-katare-cambridge

The only problem is that I'm not a fan of fatty rich foods for dietary reasons/concerns. What do you think Boston GAF? Is it worth the trip?

Yume wo Katare is amazing.

The line there is usually nuts though, but you might be used to that for the ramen shops in NYC.

Incidentally, a Santouka also opened up in Harvard Square. Haven't tried that one yet though.

Jhoan

The line there is usually nuts though, but you might be used to that for the ramen shops in NYC.
I heard. It sounds like the equivalent of waiting to get pizza at Di Fara in Brooklyn. Here in NYC, I can usually waltz into an Asian restaurant for pho or what have you without a problem (unless it's 4-5 star restaurant where the food is pricey which I stay far away from).

Maybe it might be worth the wait if that's the case. Although the thought of getting rated on how much you ate and asking if you want to share your dream with the restaurant makes me cringe a bit.

I heard. It sounds like the equivalent of waiting to get pizza at Di Fara in Brooklyn. Here in NYC, I can usually waltz into an Asian restaurant for pho or what have you without a problem (unless it's 4-5 star restaurant where the food is pricey which I stay far away from).

Maybe it might be worth the wait if that's the case. Although the thought of getting rated on how much you ate and asking if you want to share your dream with the restaurant makes me cringe a bit.

The line usually isn't too long. When I went a while ago I only waited about an hour or so I think? This was getting there after they had opened for a bit too. Most Asian restaurants don't have that long of a wait around here, except for the dumpling houses in Chinatown, places during dim sum, or specialty places like Hot Pot Buffet.

It was worth the wait for me though. And that other stuff never really happened to me so idk

Oppo

Canadians: bring your PASSPORT to the bars. Especially if you're not from Ontario or BC.

Boston bouncers are a little bit insane.

Sanjuro

Canadians: bring your PASSPORT to the bars. Especially if you're not from Ontario or BC.

Boston bouncers are a little bit insane.

How so? I've been in bars which don't allow people in with passports outside of the state.

If you are just talking about carding, it's like that most places nowadays.

WGMBY

How so? I've been in bars which don't allow people in with passports outside of the state.

Massachusetts state law says only MA state IDs can be used (I think, need to double check). Most places take IDs from any US state, but not always non-US IDs. Had a UK native friend (with a passport) get stopped at the door to multiple bars few months back.

Sanjuro

Massachusetts state law says only MA state IDs can be used (I think, need to double check). Most places take IDs from any US state, but not always non-US IDs. Had a UK native friend (with a passport) get stopped at the door to multiple bars few months back.

You should be alright in most spots. The only places I've seen passports denied are the type of establishments which scan ID cards. In or around the immediate area they often see people traveling, so should be alright.

What does everyone usually bring for a bag? I'd like to have my Vita and 3DS on me, but don't really have the pockets for both. Do people typically wear backpacks around the convention hall or something a little lighter like a shoulder bag?

DarkKyo

What does everyone usually bring for a bag? I'd like to have my Vita and 3DS on me, but don't really have the pockets for both. Do people typically wear backpacks around the convention hall or something a little lighter like a shoulder bag?

I use a messenger bag to walk around with. By the end of the weekend I usually have really red/sore shoulders due to carrying a heavy-ish bag on them but I still find it worth it because it's easy to deal with and put down places when I'm in line or trying stuff at the expo hall.

Jhoan

I walk around with a large Nike messenger bag at cons/in general if I'm not working and try to keep it as light as possible save for a carrying a few necessary things such as an aluminum bottle full of water with a carabiner (useful to attach to your pants, camera, chargers, and a few snacks.

You're going to be flooded with StreetPasses every single second since most attendees carry 3DS'es but I've also seen a few people with Vitas here and there while waiting on lines.

Oppo

Not my experience.

Chicago, NYC, Dallas, San Fran – Ontario driver's license, no problem.

Boston, 3 years in a row now, had bouncers tell me my driver's license wasn't enough, I needed to show a passport. Buddy with me from Aberta got outright denied even WITH a passport and a license – they didn't recognize it, so denied him. And it's hardly like you can argue.

I reiterate; Boston bouncers are fucked. Several non-bouncing Bostonians confirmed this for me. Wait weren't you at the Whiskey Priest last year??

Sanjuro

Not my experience.

Chicago, NYC, Dallas, San Fran – Ontario driver's license, no problem.

Boston, 3 years in a row now, had bouncers tell me my driver's license wasn't enough, I needed to show a passport. Buddy with me from Aberta got outright denied even WITH a passport and a license – they didn't recognize it, so denied him. And it's hardly like you can argue.

I reiterate; Boston bouncers are fucked. Several non-bouncing Bostonians confirmed this for me. Wait weren't you at the Whiskey Priest last year??

I'm just saying it happens most places nowadays. Depends on the bar, procedures they have to train by.

Yeah, I was at the Priest.

Oppo

I'm just saying it happens most places nowadays. Depends on the bar, procedures they have to train by.

Yeah, I was at the Priest.

Ok I think I talked to you for awhile :) anyways, THAT bar was one that did it, and I had to hike back to the hotel to fetch my passport. I just never run into that in the US, the license seems to be enough everywhere else I go. Carding is common but demanding a passport isn't.

Kunan

I had a friend get stopped last year saying his canadian passport wasn't enough even though the other bouncers let the rest of my friends through. I decided to show my US one and they were like he's with you? and let him in. This was to go to the pub across the bridge from pax on the water.

Edit: yea it was the whiskey priest for me too lol

Hero

Just a reminder:

If you're hosting a panel, representing a booth or have an awesome event and you want GAFers to stop by I have a section in the OT specifically for GAF-ran events. PM me if you want me to list what it is and I can add it in.

m@cross

I may have an extra 3-day pass, but I won't know until later today or tomorrow. Got it for a friend and he may not be able to make it.

Problem is I bought it from a 3rd party and paid more than retail, and I'd like to at least get my money back in return. Feel free to PM me, but the pass is $150 plus shipping.

Jhoan

I had a friend get stopped last year saying his canadian passport wasn't enough even though the other bouncers let the rest of my friends through. I decided to show my US one and they were like he's with you? and let him in. This was to go to the pub across the bridge from pax on the water.

Edit: yea it was the whiskey priest for me too lol
The Whiskey Priest bouncers were dead set against letting anyone with a US Learner's Permit in as well; I got saved by having my passport on me by sheer coincidence. A bunch of people were turned away as a result so the same logic applies to any US GAF members with a permit to take their passport with them.

Got my schedule and found out that I'll be working at the Albatross theatre this year all 3 days from 2PM-7PM (extra if I decide to stay on for the extra hands reserves department/pick up shifts). So far from what I see on the forecast, next weekend is gonna be a cold one. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out as we go into March.

Falk

that puzzling face
Depending on how cold it is on Thursday after my friends and I check into the hotel, I'm mighty tempted to go out to Cambridge to check out this restaurant since it sounds cool and cheap. I saw someone recommend the place to a friend on Facebook as a must visit eatery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yume-wo-katare-cambridge

It's virtually the definition of "fatty rich". Really great place, but I'd advise to go elsewhere if you're really concerned. There's dozens of other amazing places (ramen or otherwise) in Boston.

5amshift

Banned
I should have a Saturday and Sunday badge by the end of the day on Friday if anybody is interested. Friend might only go on Friday so if anybody wants to buy the badge, PM me and we can link up and discuss a price.

It just snowed last night, and will probably snow again a couple times this week, FYI.

The Whiskey Priest bouncers were dead set against letting anyone with a US Learner's Permit in as well; I got saved by having my passport on me by sheer coincidence. A bunch of people were turned away as a result so the same logic applies to any US GAF members with a permit to take their passport with them.

Nobody around here takes Learner's Permits as ID

Well at least I got my badges, so there's that. Really hope folks dress in layers, because Friday is supposed to have a high of like 27 degrees.

You'll also be walking across a couple of bridges if you're coming from South Station. Those have a weather system all their own, and you WILL be cold if so much as a gust of wind blows by. I walk across it and it just ain't fun.

Things have come up and I won't be able to attend this year, so my three one day passes are up for sale.

Market price, $45 a pop (plus shipping), Fri/Sat/Sun.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

I'll be there Saturday, but members of my site will be there all weekend. If any game developers/publishers have any Xbox One games on the floor that they are taking apointments for (or even kickstarter games with Xbox One stretch goals), then my site would love to check them out.

Let me know :)

Frostburn

So for anyone that lives in the area, how is transportation today? We are flying into the airport so we'll need to get from there to the hotel and then from the hotel to the convention center. Is there a place online to order a train pass or can you just buy it when you get there?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've already PMed Hero to add it to the booth list in the OP, but I just wanted to let everyone know that BudokaiMR2 and I are going to have a Playism booth at PAX East, like last year, as part of the Indie Megabooth. We're going to be at Booth #7164, but if you can't find us, we should be easy to spot on the Indie Megabooth map banner. :)

We're going to have three games on display: Revolver360 RE:ACTOR, One Way Heroics Plus, and Band Saga. Japanese Indie Games Abound!

Come say hi! :D

Clearos

I didn't see the offical Pax East topic so posting here.

Anyone else going to the TennoLive2015 on Friday?

Random question: Any good cigar bar in the general area?

Sad I'm missing PAX East this year, but I am now planning a wedding with the girl I met through a fellow GAFfer (Necrovex) the night GAF had their meet-up. I'll be back in Boston in May though for our first big planning trip. I hope love finds someone else at PAX East this year.

For all you first timers take advantage of all the GAF meet-ups. Watch this thread for last minute meet-ups, I cannot stress that enough. I made some memories those few days which I will never forget. From Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden, to the Harpoon Brewery tasting room (those pretzels are AMAZING), finally to Hot Pot and watching "Over the Top" and making a GAF thread about it as we watched it (My God, so much sweat) Your first PAX East can become the greatest weekend of your lives if you let it, I know it was for me.

Sober

Sad I'm missing PAX East this year, but I am now planning a wedding with the girl I met through a fellow GAFfer (Necrovex) the night GAF had their meet-up. I'll be back in Boston in May though for our first big planning trip. I hope love finds someone else at PAX East this year.

For all you first timers take advantage of all the GAF meet-ups. Watch this thread for last minute meet-ups, I cannot stress that enough. I made some memories those few days which I will never forget. From Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden, to the Harpoon Brewery tasting room (those pretzels are AMAZING), finally to Hot Pot and watching "Over the Top" and making a GAF thread about it as we watched it (My God, so much sweat) Your first PAX East can become the greatest weekend of your lives if you let it, I know it was for me.
Holy shit son! Congrats!

Big thing for me this year is the killer instinct panel. Really excited for that.

Third PAX for me, I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Wish I could have done all three days but the passes sold out so fast :(.

Going to be attending again this year and quite excited for it. Will be with friends this time, so I expect to have an even better time than last year. Will definitely try to make any meetups this year. Looking forward to seeing some of you awesome people again; getting introduced to Fluxx by playing it with some random cool dudes and Sober remains a highlight of last PAX for me.

5amshift

Banned
I'll be there on the show floor around 3pm Thursday taking pictures of set up around the convention. Definitely getting pumped and excited to get back into convention season!

Also that Funspot arcade setup better be there like it is every year. Itching to play some classics.

So I'm trying to think up a mini meetup Friday night if people are interested. I'm also up for doing anything Thursday night if people want to get the party started when they get into town.

Main GAF Meetup is still Saturday at the Whiskey Priest. Maybe come a little early if you can so you don't have to deal with lines and stuff. They do serve food there. If you think you'll run into issues please PM me your number and I can provide you with updates

I've already PMed Hero to add it to the booth list in the OP, but I just wanted to let everyone know that BudokaiMR2 and I are going to have a Playism booth at PAX East, like last year, as part of the Indie Megabooth. We're going to be at Booth #7164, but if you can't find us, we should be easy to spot on the Indie Megabooth map banner. :)

We're going to have three games on display: Revolver360 RE:ACTOR, One Way Heroics Plus, and Band Saga. Japanese Indie Games Abound!

Come say hi! :D

Aww yeah! Your booth was awesome last year and it was great to chat with you.

Congratulations again, bro

Mesoian

Incidentally, a Santouka also opened up in Harvard Square. Haven't tried that one yet though.

Eh...

Its okay. The ramen shop in Brighton across from the music hall is better.

Eh...

Its okay. The ramen shop in Brighton across from the music hall is better.

Did Totto get better? I went there in the first couple of weeks and I thought it was pretty mediocre. Been meaning to go back there to see if they've gotten their shit straightened out, but haven't had the chance to.

Gogo_ZvC

I'm coming in from Ontario and only have a Saturday badge, can I still come in and pick it up on Friday, or do I have to wait until Saturday?

Congrats! That's pretty awesome.

So I'm trying to think up a mini meetup Friday night if people are interested.

I'd be up for a Friday meet up as I can't make the Saturday one.

Lombax

Banned
Well at least I got my badges, so there's that. Really hope folks dress in layers, because Friday is supposed to have a high of like 27 degrees.

You'll also be walking across a couple of bridges if you're coming from South Station. Those have a weather system all their own, and you WILL be cold if so much as a gust of wind blows by. I walk across it and it just ain't fun.

Fuck the summer street bridge! This was me last week.
6sr2vHZ.jpg

Getting excited now as this will be my first PAX. Ordered a messenger bag, 4-port USB Wall Charger, 3DS USB Charge Cable, and a 3DS case (for my new 3DS XL) yesterday on Amazon that should be here tomorrow. Then of course, there's my PAX uniform...

I was kind of surprised to see all of the weather concerns in the thread this morning, though. I was pretty pumped when I saw that the temps are going to be 39 on Saturday/Sunday! Hell, it's been at least 40 degrees colder than that multiple times here in the last few weeks!

Mesoian

Did Totto get better? I went there in the first couple of weeks and I thought it was pretty mediocre. Been meaning to go back there to see if they've gotten their shit straightened out, but haven't had the chance to.

It's gotten to the point where, given the choice, I will go to Totto over Yumme every time. Yumme is just so fatty.

Though If I had my way, I'd go to number 1 noodle house in newton. That place is still the best noodle house in the greater boston area.

Still though, I'd recommend Tampopo over the two ramen shops anyway.

Top Bottom