• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2015 Discussion Thread

mainframe

Neo Member
What does everyone usually bring for a bag? I'd like to have my Vita and 3DS on me, but don't really have the pockets for both. Do people typically wear backpacks around the convention hall or something a little lighter like a shoulder bag?

My personal opinion.. No do not use a shoulder/messenger bag for walking/waiting in the expo hall. Yeah unfortunatly a full backpack will be bigger , but its worth it!.

Your shoulder will be hurting just after the first day, esp if your picking up swag on top of your already planned additonal luggage.

Besides that.. also bring a water bottle.. there is long lines and food/bevarge vendors are usally on the other side of the hall.. so can easily take 10-15 mins to get to them from no matter where you are.

kyoya

I'll be there on the show floor around 3pm Thursday taking pictures of set up around the convention. Definitely getting pumped and excited to get back into convention season!

Also that Funspot arcade setup better be there like it is every year. Itching to play some classics.

Unfortunately, Funspot, or rather ACAM (American Classic Arcade Museum) will not be at PAX EAST this year with their arcade cabinets due to funding issues as revealed here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31632000/#Comment_31632000

My personal opinion.. No do not use a shoulder/messenger bag for walking/waiting in the expo hall. Yeah unfrotunate full backpack will be bigger , but its worth it!.

Your shoulder will be hurting just after the first day, esp if your picking up swag on top of your already planned additonal luggage.

Besides that.. also bring a water bottle.. there is long lines and food/bevarge vendors are usally on the other side of the hall.. so can easily take 10-15 mins to get to them from no matter where you are.

Just bring full on food. Their prices are borderline extortion. Make your lunches in your hotel the morning of and bring them with you that day. Waaaaay cheaper. 2 yrs ago I didnt know, I bought a yogurt and it was 7 dollars, fuck off at those prices.

Sad I'm missing PAX East this year, but I am now planning a wedding with the girl I met through a fellow GAFfer (Necrovex) the night GAF had their meet-up. I'll be back in Boston in May though for our first big planning trip. I hope love finds someone else at PAX East this year.

For all you first timers take advantage of all the GAF meet-ups. Watch this thread for last minute meet-ups, I cannot stress that enough. I made some memories those few days which I will never forget. From Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden, to the Harpoon Brewery tasting room (those pretzels are AMAZING), finally to Hot Pot and watching "Over the Top" and making a GAF thread about it as we watched it (My God, so much sweat) Your first PAX East can become the greatest weekend of your lives if you let it, I know it was for me.

Def doing harpoon with my crew thursday. Been hearing about that for the past yr.

mainframe

Neo Member
Just bring full on food. Their prices are borderline extortion. Make your lunches in your hotel the morning of and bring them with you that day. Waaaaay cheaper. 2 yrs ago I didnt know, I bought a yogurt and it was 7 dollars, fuck off at those prices.

Agree - light snacky things is good!..

BUT omg that meat tornado last year.. was amazing but yet gross at same time.

Fire and Ice, anyone been? Any good?

It's okay, not spectacular. One bonus is it's all you can eat, so if you're skipping lunch at the convention hall in favor of a huge dinner, it's not a bad spot.

Food's somewhat mediocre though, at least in my opinion. Last I was there, though, they had a pretty good variety of meats/veggies/sauces and they even were doing cheeseburgers in the buffet lines...so there should be something for everyone if you're going with a group.

Agree - light snacky things is good!..

BUT omg that meat tornado last year.. was amazing but yet gross at same time.

That sounds like a bad movie. LOL. But yea my girl and I spend like 25$ and get lunch meats and snacks and seltzer and bread, put the stuff in the hotel fridge, and make lunches that morning, we usually go out for dinners, since it is a vaca. But yea I highly recommend bringing your own foods for during the day.

Mesoian

Fire and Ice, anyone been? Any good?

It's okay. If it's crowded, it's kind of a shitty scene because you have to wait for the cooks to get through so many people at the cooker.

Food's alright though, less variety than the one downtown though.

If ya'll are looking for a good place to eat, my two recommendations for harvard would be border cafe or The Sinclair Kitchen.

Mediocre food, expensive, usually packed. It's all you can eat though so if you don't mind those three things I mentioned then go for it :p.

Eh. It was recommended by some friends or a friend going. Not my thing, I like healthier foods and what not, typically buffets dont have that.

Lombax

Banned
Eh. It was recommended by some friends or a friend going. Not my thing, I like healthier foods and what not, typically buffets dont have that.

Recommendations for food around the convention center:

Sweet Green (Healthy Option) The Kale Cesar is dope!
TR Street Food
Lucky's
Flour (Breakfast / Lunch / Coffee)
Barrington (Coffee)
Trillium (fresh beer, no seating just grab an go)

All are located on Congress street, with the exception of Flour that is behind the children's museum.

Jhoan

I *might* be down for a Thursday meet up since my ETA for getting into Boston is 5PM-6PM after settling into the hotel. My friends and I are gonna hit the road around 1PM after we rendezvous and pick up the last person. I would down for a cheap eat.

I say might because I'm still trying to come up with an agenda after I arrive. One of those plans might include going down to the convention center to see if I can pick up my badge and take a quick tour of the place before venturing out to another part of Boston and possibly contacting Mully at some point.

Sanjuro

I'll be getting into the city early on Thursday to see if I can get pick of the littler with hotel room.

Not sure what the plan is. This may be the first year where my actions are dictated by a group! So long, indecisiveness.

Mully

I'll be getting in on Wednesday afternoon. I won't be able to make a Thursday meetup. I'm going to the Indies Need Booze party on Thursday. I'll be free after 9:30PM on Friday. Saturday night I'm completely free though. Same goes for Sunday.

As I said earlier, my schedule is pretty light this year, so feel free to call, text, email, or PM, me if you want to grab a bite or something. Contact information is below, quote to view.

Mesoian

Hopefully it won't be as cold as it was last night. I went from comfortable to freezing in about 20 seconds walking down the road.

This will be my fifth PAX East, but things are different this year...I'm driving into Boston each day when I never drove there before.

A couple questions:

1. What will the parking be like? I'm sure it will be bad, but I just wanted to gauge how the overflows might work and whatnot.

2. Boots. Will I need them to walk anywhere outside of the convention center?

Josh5890

This will be my fifth PAX East, but things are different this year...I'm driving into Boston each day when I never drove there before.

A couple questions:

1. What will the parking be like? I'm sure it will be bad, but I just wanted to gauge how the overflows might work and whatnot.

I heard that the parking lot will be "smaller" this year do to large amounts of snow still piled up from the 10,000 feet of snow Boston has received in the last month or so. Might want to get their as early as possible.

NateDrake

Travel to Boston this yr is going to be slightly annoying with the MBTA commuter rail from Providence being on a strange schedule. Probably will skip Friday & get there early Saturday afternoon. I hope the coat check line isn't a mile long and slow as hell like it was last year.

Lombax

Banned

A couple questions:

1. Parking around the convention center will be tight. The lots around here are running about about 80 to 90% and a lot of them have monthly parking spots that are taken. I'm planning on getting into the city very early on Friday then hanging out at my office until its time for PAX.

2. It can't hurt to bring a pair of boots, depending on how far / much you are walking around here. We got a rain / snow mix last night so there are puddles everywhere. Overall you can get by with sneakers just watch where you step.
Friday is going to be cold, the high will be 27(f) and thursday we are expecting some more snow / sleet / rain but its only about <1".

Recommendations for food around the convention center:

Sweet Green (Healthy Option) The Kale Cesar is dope!
TR Street Food
Lucky's
Flour (Breakfast / Lunch / Coffee)
Barrington (Coffee)
Trillium (fresh beer, no seating just grab an go)

All are located on Congress street, with the exception of Flour that is behind the children's museum.

Awesome thanks. Kale Caesar sounds great!

AgeEighty

Sadly I'm only making it to PAX on Saturday this year. It's going to be tight trying to squeeze everything I can out of that one day, but I just couldn't afford three single day passes and I missed out on three-days by like, ten seconds.

We got a little more snow last night, we are still 1.9" from breaking the record at the moment. At this point I'm just numb to it all!

The upside is that since it's above freezing today it'll likely melt off. And I feel you, I saw it this morning and just breathed out.

Edit:

Fuck the summer street bridge! This was me last week.

Dude I think I saw you, but my memory is blurred due to legit brain freeze.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly I'm only making it to PAX on Saturday this year. It's going to be tight trying to squeeze everything I can out of that one day, but I just couldn't afford three single day passes and I missed out on three-days by like, ten seconds.

Oh hey, Andy Anonymous! I'm n8BitMan from that miiplaza site, still keeping the Mii game strong! Maybe I'll see you there

I'm in the city most mornings around 6:45 / 7:00 (I commute from NH now), just look for the dude with the R2-D2 hat!

I remember two years ago, I stayed at the Ramada Inn, I was single then, so I didnt need a fancy place, but I was living in Kingston NY at the time and the temps were like 50 degrees ~

Decided I'd go running outside in boston, and only brought a t shirt and shorts to run in.; except it was like 15 degrees .LOL. People were driving by me probably thinking I was a crackhead.

Fortunately this yr staying at the Courtyard South, which is supposedly ~1.5 miles from BCEC, but they have a gym, so I'm thankful for that.

Boston is COLD.

Edwardo

You guys get hit again last night. I'm near Albany NY and we got snow and ice last night. Warmer today though

It wasn't too bad. I live north of the city near New Hampshire and we got a couple inches and some rain/ice. At this point it doesn't even matter how much we get, just that it snowed lol.

Beer people. Is Gahndi Bot easy to find around the convention center, I was told its amazing and wanted to pick some up while I'm there.

Top Bottom