• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2016 - Boston, MA

Shadow780

Skip AAA stuff or you'll be stuck to play 2 games all day. I pretty much do indie stuff exclusively and spent the other half doing panels and visiting vendors.

TheTurboFD

After having gone with a friend to PAX East every year for the last 5 years, we've decided to call it quits. This year was the worst: 4+ hour lines for anything that you can't just look up on youtube, too many people, enforcers who couldn't care less, pretty basic panels, overpriced merch that you can get for almost half off Amazon, a much reduced classic arcade room...

The expo has just grown too fast, and tries to accommodate too many people, lowering the quality of the experience. The PlayStation VR app debacle didn't help things either, with all possible slots being reserved within seconds of the app going live on Saturday. They had a waiting line for those who wanted to try, which opened at 11. We asked the attendant there if this was where we had to wait to get into the reserve waiting line, she said yes. We stood there, watching the person - then at 11:03 asked if they were opening the line yet and she told us 'sorry, all reserve slots already taken'. Nobody else had talked to her in those three minutes.

The entire experience just isn't worth the time or money anymore, we felt. Everyone's mileage varies, of course, but we're done with the expo unless they make some radical changes in the future.

EDIT: The only good thing is the indie side of the expo, where you actually have a chance to try things. But that's about it.

Agreed , this was my first time coming to pax and it definitely wasn't worth driving 9 hours straight for. Some of the panels were cool. Pretty mad the Co Optional was filled almost an hour before. Only game I really wanted to play was outlast and it was capped with only like 10 people in line all weekend. Will not come back.

Jas

After having gone with a friend to PAX East every year for the last 5 years, we've decided to call it quits. This year was the worst: 4+ hour lines for anything that you can't just look up on youtube, too many people, enforcers who couldn't care less, pretty basic panels, overpriced merch that you can get for almost half off Amazon, a much reduced classic arcade room...

The expo has just grown too fast, and tries to accommodate too many people, lowering the quality of the experience. The PlayStation VR app debacle didn't help things either, with all possible slots being reserved within seconds of the app going live on Saturday. They had a waiting line for those who wanted to try, which opened at 11. We asked the attendant there if this was where we had to wait to get into the reserve waiting line, she said yes. We stood there, watching the person - then at 11:03 asked if they were opening the line yet and she told us 'sorry, all reserve slots already taken'. Nobody else had talked to her in those three minutes.

The entire experience just isn't worth the time or money anymore, we felt. Everyone's mileage varies, of course, but we're done with the expo unless they make some radical changes in the future.

EDIT: The only good thing is the indie side of the expo, where you actually have a chance to try things. But that's about it.

This was my first PAX and completely agree with you. I wanted to try the VR headesets and lines were even capped or appointments were full. The most fun I had was just talking to random people at the booths.

Agreed , this was my first time coming to pax and it definitely wasn't worth driving 9 hours straight for. Some of the panels were cool. Pretty mad the Co Optional was filled almost an hour before. Only game I really wanted to play was outlast and it was capped with only like 10 people in line all weekend. Will not come back.

That's a bummer. Wanted to drive up from Maryland next year, but I'd rather just go to Playstation Experience.

Rokal

Outside of VR stuff with huge lines and reservation lists, it mostly felt like the big booths were for games that were already out or recently had large public betas. The difference between trying them at PAX and trying them in the comfort of your home is long lines, audio bleed, and potentially some germs. The VR stuff is very cool I expect, but takes up a lot of space and isn't interesting to watch. There are some real sanitary concerns with sharing headsets and goggles between thousands of people over a weekend as well.

I saw a lot of cool indie stuff, but ultimately it still felt like it was a crowded and non-ideal way to experience those games. They devoted more space to them this year, which did help.

I've attended PAX East every year since it started back at the Prudential Center, and every year I feel like I get less out of it.

Because the expo stuff felt so weak this year, the strength of the show is really in hanging out and socializing with other gamers. I only see the community stuff getting bigger, and the expo hall continuing to erode, with VR growing. An bigger emphasis on community sounds great on paper, until you get to PAX and remember that the largest demographic of the community is still obese straight white guys with bad hygiene.

I still love video games and think there is more exciting stuff happening in the space than ever before, with self-publishing so viable and VR seeming like the real deal, but this was probably my last PAX.

Pax east is always zzzzzzz for new games since E3 is right around the corner

Pax prime is awesome because it's basically E3 since most companies just reuse that stuff and showcase those games

That being said its always fun to go every year and just walk around and check out stuff, weekend is always busy X more lines, I played everything I wanted on Friday in 30-45 minutes

It's growing into more PC than console which is a bummer since I don't game on PC

Sanjuro

Pax east is always zzzzzzz for new games since E3 is right around the corner

Pax prime is awesome because it's basically E3 since most companies just reuse that stuff and showcase those games

That being said its always fun to go every year and just walk around and check out stuff, weekend is always busy X more lines, I played everything I wanted on Friday in 30-45 minutes

It's growing into more PC than console which is a bummer since I don't game on PC

Every year just makes me feel older and older.

shangolin

Banned
I felt the same way for the most part. This was my first time here and the 2-3 hour lines for any somewhat known game killed my enthusiasm. Seems like the only reason to go as a consumer is if you're really into the panels, lesser known indie games, or board game stuff. Everything else is rough.

Welp... This has been fun for the most part.

Final games I tried were:
-Chimera Genesis: a platform beat-em-up with animals. Looks rough, but because it was in its alpha phase.
- Blade Ballet: interesting party battle game about spinning robots with swords.
-Flinthook: a really enjoyable Metroidvainia(?) game. Hookshot mechanics and the usual retro visuals were the main thing about this game. Unfortunately, it's set for next year.

This being my first East PAX, I found it enjoyable for the most part. With the exception of Battleborn, I was focused on newer stuff and collecting free stuff. I think I got more t-shirts than my previous PAXes combined.

I guess my one regret was missing out on a couple of panels I wanted to go to because I was busy at the Expo Hall or it was already capped by the time I got there. Some games I was kind of interested in had the usual lines that were too long to wait for (was curious about Shadow Warrior 2 and Let It Die).

It was great checking out my first PAX East. Will I come back? Maybe not immediately. But still nice coming here, and great seeing some of you guys (some I met before).

Unfortunately, now I have to fly back home and prepare for work first thing tomorrow. And with all the walking and bag carrying I have all weekend, I'm not looking forward to it.

Jhoan

Gonna help clear the expo floor what's going to be my final job this year. Wanna get to Cambridge with some other Enforcers for an Arcade party that starts at 8.

Always a pleasure to see you Sanjuro. Really, I mean it. Didn't get a chance to play much but I'm pkay with it.

RobertM

Impressions:

PS VR and Oculus : As far as the two go, I think PSVR has an advantage but being held back by the hardware, so hopefully PS4k makes a huge difference. That being said, it was fun playing Job Simulator and feeling like you're actually there and not taken back by issues with display (Oculus screendoor effect issues), but there were definitely issues with move controller detection. As I turned left, the hands in the game started disappearing probably because the camera was failing to correctly pick up location of the move controller, but when I was facing the camera, the move controllers were being picked up without issues and I was able to bend down and pick up things. I see a lot of potential in PSVR but there will be limitation due to controllers, hardware power, and support.

A lot of Indy game had really good art styles this year. Jenny Lecture, Flame in the Flood, Flinthook, Metrico, Night in the Woods, just to name a few.

Flinthook: Really good platformer/metroidvenia that focuses on platforming using a hook to navigate around an area. It reminded me of a bit of Ristar and had lot of charm, good mechanics, just smile on your face fun.

Don't Mess with a Lobo with Shotguns: It was a game that was outside of the main area, so easily missed. It's a brawler with 80's look and VHS type effects. It's in early stages of development but has a lot of potential. Right now you can only use kick, punch, and shotguns. The enemies are a bit mindless so hopefully that gets improved as the game progresses in development. Business guy was saying they are going to be adding combos and improving the combat so definitely keep an eye on this gem.

Deliver us the Moon: Really interesting atmospheric space 3rd person adventure game with really good lighting and attention to detail. In the demo there was no dialogue, no prompts, no hud, just you and the lab. There is not much to the gameplay; you can jump, run, throw your tool, interact with certain computers and objects, and use a laser tool to open doors. It's a very isolating and captures that feel well.

Abzu: Journey underwater, even has the sonar move that reminds me of the communication chant in Journey.

Shadow Warrior 2: Just unadulterated fun. Cutting limbs, traversing environment, using skills and dash, destroying everything in your path with dual katanas, the only that missing is a hook and we would be all set for the best action game ever.

SquareEnix: Why did they have 10 demo stations for FFV demo that's freely available to everyone? What a waste of space. That free GameInformer mag reinforces how dead the print is.

I'll post if I can think of anything else that was memorable.

Had a great time. Only thing I found lacking this year compared to previous ones was the panel lineup.

Yes, the lines were as prevalent as ever, and are a drag in that you get to do less awesome stuff than you'd like, but the time in the lines is still not so bad, the various people I talked to were very friendly and cool as always, and sometimes in lines I'd check up on PAX goings-on by tooling around on the wi-fi (which worked GREAT this year)

The PAX pizza took a step back again after being a solid 7/10 last year.

AgeEighty

The panel selection was very blah this year. Nothing at all really jumped out at me. I went to the FFXIV panel, but aside from a couple of cool announcements for upcoming patches, it was just a Q&A with a mix of good and bad questions from fans. I would have liked to see the Jonathan Blow storytime since there hasn't been a really good one since it stopped being a "keynote", but I didn't get a Friday ticket this year.

The expo hall was much improved over last year (when Sony and Nintendo didn't even attend). I feel like each year the expo hall has a little more to offer; it's hard to fathom that in 2011 the entire rear half of the floor was just food carts and tables. I avoided the AAA games (which usually don't interest me), but got to play some great upcoming stuff like Cuphead and a whole bunch of VR titles. There were some great indie offerings.

Felt like the satellite room offerings were a lot thinner than they have been. Less console and PC freeplay stuff, way scaled back classic arcades, and more LoL everywhere.

The concerts I didn't bother with since they're mostly the same every year. I don't bother since Coulton stopped coming.

They've really stepped up their food game, finally. You had the jam-packed food court as always, food carts spread throughout the expo floor and conference room hallways, and food trucks both out front and in their usual spot at the Lawn on D (which is for some reason no longer a lawn).

I had fun, but as usual I have mixed feelings about whether I'll bother next year. I feel like the overall experience has fewer surprises for me each year, but at the same time I always have at least a couple experiences that really wow me.

Ensoul

Outside of VR stuff with huge lines and reservation lists, it mostly felt like the big booths were for games that were already out or recently had large public betas. The difference between trying them at PAX and trying them in the comfort of your home is long lines, audio bleed, and potentially some germs. The VR stuff is very cool I expect, but takes up a lot of space and isn't interesting to watch. There are some real sanitary concerns with sharing headsets and goggles between thousands of people over a weekend as well.

I saw a lot of cool indie stuff, but ultimately it still felt like it was a crowded and non-ideal way to experience those games. They devoted more space to them this year, which did help.

I've attended PAX East every year since it started back at the Prudential Center, and every year I feel like I get less out of it.

Because the expo stuff felt so weak this year, the strength of the show is really in hanging out and socializing with other gamers. I only see the community stuff getting bigger, and the expo hall continuing to erode, with VR growing. An bigger emphasis on community sounds great on paper, until you get to PAX and remember that the largest demographic of the community is still obese straight white guys with bad hygiene.

I still love video games and think there is more exciting stuff happening in the space than ever before, with self-publishing so viable and VR seeming like the real deal, but this was probably my last PAX.

This post sums up my feelings as well.

I have been going to Pax east since 2010, the first two were great and it was nice being able to play some of the newer games. Now? There is simply too many people. It's overcrowded, stressful navigating around and in order to play some of the upcoming AAA titles it's hours and hours waiting in line. My son wanted to sit on the dinosaur (or whatever that was) and it was like an hour and a half wait. Thats insane. This may be the last one I attend.

I thought this PAX was alright; if I had spent all 3 days I might've gotten burnt out, or I would've been been ok waiting in a line

I don't really care about the upcoming AAAs anyway, so that helps. Spent most my time in indies, which were more interesting games on the whole.

Cowie

I guess I should have selected group a rather than group b for psvr, but man I was underwhelmed by vr worlds' london heist gameplay. The move controllers still suck, I kept running into issues where it had no idea where my controllers were and my ingame hands just freaked the fuck out on screen. I guess this is what the budget motion controller solution looks like in reality, but I'm not impressed. I was hoping for better peripheral vision, I think that's the biggest obstacle for me to really feel immersed.

Jhoan

Ran into Suda 51 last night at Aloft last night. Dude loved my hair and gave a sweet Let It Die pin I will treasure dearly. Funny as hell because I wanted to meet him but didn't want to wait in line for the booth.

sHGPXlh.jpg

Video of my reaction my friend spontaneously recorded: https://youtu.be/VquTq9Comls

For me it was an awesome experience for the people, less about the games or the panels. I just love the atmosphere and the camraderie between people. Then again, I see it through the lens of a work perspective. I will be back next year because it's my favorite con to work at bar none.

My yearly tradition of going to Paxamania and the Giant Bomb panel is complete. Got my badge signed as usual.

I thought this PAX was alright; if I had spent all 3 days I might've gotten burnt out, or I would've been been ok waiting in a line

I don't really care about the upcoming AAAs anyway, so that helps. Spent most my time in indies, which were more interesting games on the whole.

What he said. I didn't make it half way through day three before heading home. That said, the rest of it was a hell of a time. Especially Shojo.

Also, I gotta give apologies to those that PM'd me on Saturday for the Slack info. I couldn't get on GAF on my mobile at all, so I didn't even see the messages. Hope everyone had a good time, and I'm looking forward to next year!

Alright, finally started uploading some stuff.

Killer Instinct Mira gameplay:

Watching Alex Jebailey just wrecking shop with Mira. Manages to pull off her ultra combo at the end of the set.

https://youtu.be/ULxA9SuI-2I

Several King of Fighters XIV gameplay vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJFhldJm6w8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf17E0YgCiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e_YxBSe_GA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUNdqxN9BNg

Koihime Enbu Hands on gameplay with commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFG3tu0K8Rg

Furi hands-on gameplay - We were conducting an interview but this is the footage that was being recorded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ceqVVGZkNo

Two sets of Hob gameplay being recorded. This was being played on another PC setup, still working on our footage with one of the devs talking with us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwQWIuRP98

Logitech setup a huge ass display that was made up entirely of G810 keyboards and displayed a really cool animation and a pretty cool racing setup that was running Project Cars. Kinda wish I had the money for that shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0B6TXFaLRE
https://youtu.be/ECBXvJ9R_BY

DarkKyo

PAX was awesome this year. I got to play Kirby, Overwatch, Battleborn, and fight Sephirot twice. Pretty much got to do everything I wanted to.

And possibly my favorite moment of any PAX yet...
zzVIQNi.png

Getting Naoki Yoshida's autograph in my Heavensward artbook.

So was there any explanation of why no beer was being served at the Sam Adams bar, that was infuriating. All the taps were capped off and bartender didn't answer.

The_Afroman

So was there any explanation of why no beer was being served at the Sam Adams bar, that was infuriating. All the taps were capped off and bartender didn't answer.

Well. According to what i was told by staff on Friday night, they had an icident last year of someone sneaking beer off to a minor. So, they decided that since it was an all age event, no beer. :(

Trust me.. i feel it. I just walked over to the Westin pub and drank there.

As for who i got to meet all weekend.

BnjHt3p.jpg

Also if anyone sees it here and didn't pick it up-

I was at the Val-Halla demo across from Exploration Vikings and stepped on a Nokia Lumia ATT phone- I gave it to an enforcer who said he'd take care of it- he probably stole it, but hopefully the person gets or got their phone back

Well. According to what i was told by staff on Friday night, they had an icident last year of someone sneaking beer off to a minor. So, they decided that since it was an all age event, no beer. :(

Trust me.. i feel it. I just walked over to the Westin pub and drank there.

As for who i got to meet all weekend.

Yea I mean that's what we did was go to the Westin but I mean come on. NBA games, NFL games, those are all age events too- just seemed completely pointless. If a kid wants beer they're gonna get beer. That was poorly implemented. Also for the last 4 years it's been a ritual of friends to break at around 2 and grab a Sam and just people watch for a few

Tawpgun

Didn't go this year. East just isn't worth it anymore and i live in Boston.

They really gotta change things up, but why would they? Shit still sells out in minutes

Top Bottom