• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2016 - Boston, MA

Amon-Lau

Met angry Joe today and we took pics together. He's pretty awesome.
Cool! I saw him as he went into the witcher booth, I would asked for a pic as he left but I was in line for those gwent cards...
EVEN OUTSIDE WITCHER I KEEP HUNTING FOR GWENT! D:

jdavid459

Going in tomorrow - I'm pumped. Anything I should prepare for / must see's anyone wants to recommend?

Do you have to get there early for any reason or can you just stroll in at 10am?

Jhoan

Thanks for the invite, but I don't know if I'll be sticking around that long. Apologies if I don't make it.
Sorry for the delay. Not at all! Been a long day. I haven't really processed cosplayers and the like.

Watching the Kings of Chinatown doc. A lot of stuff still left to do so thinking my next move before I turn in for the night. Tomorrow, I'll be at Paxamania so should be fun, final merch booth stuff, swag collecting, and play a few games on the floor before my shift.

@jdavid, the expo floor opens at 10. Paxamania is worth checking out if you're a Giant Bomb fan. Otherwise, walk around, play a bunch of Indie games in the floor, grab swag, and take pics before it's all said and done.

Got some food on the way back to my hotel.
Then I dropped my phone.
And now I'm stuck with a cracked screen until I have it checked at home.

Dammit.

Shadow780

Good morning PAX Gaffers, good luck on VR demo lottery today!

Also I'll be wearing this shirt to Paxmania if u see me say hi!

ztiosBd.png

Last day of PAX already? Darn... I'm wearing regular clothes today. Cosplaying time is over since I have to head back home later in the day.

If you see a guy with a Pandastronaut shirt and a Smash Bros. University sweater, that'd be me!

I was mostly in the fighting games section standing over a friend and giving people terrible tips yesterday. Literally some of the most fun I've ever had but it's time to go back home. Safe travels everyone!

Jhoan

At the Merch booth line for round 2. Thing has been still so far. Sporting a grey jacket and the yellow bandana over the neck.

ScribbleD

Every time Sony uses the PS Experience app to schedule vr appointments they mess something up. This year they kept making appointments live early. Really wish they would figure out a better way to handle this.

After having gone with a friend to PAX East every year for the last 5 years, we've decided to call it quits. This year was the worst: 4+ hour lines for anything that you can't just look up on youtube, too many people, enforcers who couldn't care less, pretty basic panels, overpriced merch that you can get for almost half off Amazon, a much reduced classic arcade room...

The expo has just grown too fast, and tries to accommodate too many people, lowering the quality of the experience. The PlayStation VR app debacle didn't help things either, with all possible slots being reserved within seconds of the app going live on Saturday. They had a waiting line for those who wanted to try, which opened at 11. We asked the attendant there if this was where we had to wait to get into the reserve waiting line, she said yes. We stood there, watching the person - then at 11:03 asked if they were opening the line yet and she told us 'sorry, all reserve slots already taken'. Nobody else had talked to her in those three minutes.

The entire experience just isn't worth the time or money anymore, we felt. Everyone's mileage varies, of course, but we're done with the expo unless they make some radical changes in the future.

EDIT: The only good thing is the indie side of the expo, where you actually have a chance to try things. But that's about it.

Did Battleborn booth, but was disappointed that they only had L shirts.

Played Move or Die, I Want To Be Human, and Mekazoo.

Going to Nintendonaire panel for a good hour, maybe less, then check out a few more indies or try that couch challenge. Have to leave between 3 and 3:30 to check out my hotel and get to my flight.

Couldn't wait for the FFXIV challenge since it would take too long, but got a few items like a cool Intel pen.

Still pissed I cracked my phone screen.

sikkinixx

That "W" under the Paxamania logo is gonna get them sued by WWE :p

After having gone with a friend to PAX East every year for the last 5 years, we've decided to call it quits. This year was the worst: 4+ hour lines for anything that you can't just look up on youtube, too many people, enforcers who couldn't care less, pretty basic panels, overpriced merch that you can get for almost half off Amazon, a much reduced classic arcade room...

The expo has just grown too fast, and tries to accommodate too many people, lowering the quality of the experience. The PlayStation VR app debacle didn't help things either, with all possible slots being reserved within seconds of the app going live on Saturday. They had a waiting line for those who wanted to try, which opened at 11. We asked the attendant there if this was where we had to wait to get into the reserve waiting line, she said yes. We stood there, watching the person - then at 11:03 asked if they were opening the line yet and she told us 'sorry, all reserve slots already taken'. Nobody else had talked to her in those three minutes.

The entire experience just isn't worth the time or money anymore, we felt. Everyone's mileage varies, of course, but we're done with the expo unless they make some radical changes in the future.

EDIT: The only good thing is the indie side of the expo, where you actually have a chance to try things. But that's about it.

Prime hit that a few years ago. You have to have a horseshoe up your ass to see the tweet that tickets are on sale, pay higher secondary prices or rely on nice Gaffers to even get it, then it's just huge lines, people yelling at you to pre-order all day and yeah the merch is super expensive. I imagine if you're really into a particular scene (League, Dota, the BYOPC stuff etc) it would probably still be a lot of fun but not my bag anymore.

mcw

I've been going to PAX since 2006 and decided after the inaugural PAX South that there was no longer any reason for me to attend. In the early years, I'd go to see games in the Expo Hall, but that eventually became impractical for the reasons you've stated. After that I started going for the panels and surrounding community events, and even those got stale after awhile. But man, am I grateful for the fun I had in those early years.

I recommend you look into some smaller gaming events in the Northeast, if you haven't already-- or even some of the events in the Midwest, like MGC and MAGFest. Those are smaller events and have their own special charm.

Top Bottom