• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2017 - NeoGAF Get-Togethers

VcOYZ5t.png

On behalf of most of us here in Boston, we'd like to welcome everyone to this year's PAX East. Some info for those traveling (especially folks coming to Boston for the first time):

Location/Venue:

The Boston Convention and Expo Center

Public Transit and Travel:

Schedules and Maps for the T/Bus/Commuter Rail/Boat
You will be taking the T to South Station, and walking from there (unless you grab a lift/Lyft). Simply exit South Station, and head for the bridge over the channel. Keep going straight, and you'll find it. There will also be a crowd to follow.

Please be advised that the T is a bit of a dinosaur. Schedules may or may not reflect reality, although they're generally good about keeping you informed while you're on the platform.

Weather:

According to the forecast, it will be cold and cloudy this weekend. Please be advised that, unless you're at the hotel next to the center, you will very likely be walking over two bridges to get there, one of which Summer Street to Fort Point) is over water and is a wind tunnel. The next one is too, but the one over water will strip the heat right out off you.

Layers are your friend. A knit cap, and thin layers will go miles further than a t-shirt and one winter coat. Gloves too. I work in the general vicinity (next to South Station) I survive pretty well with a knit cap, a t-shirt and a button down, and a zip up hoodie. My advice is to wear good socks, and don't wear sneakers with ventilation on the toes or anything. While no one likes the smell of feet, no one likes frostbitten toes either.

Get Togethers:

As is tradition, we'll try to get together for a few rounds and a good time. I'm completely open to planning in the thread, and I'll suggest locations in the following post.

Communication:

I've created a new Slack channel for us (get the app). PM me with your email address, even if you did so last year, for access info. I will make every effort daily to grab the names of everyone that PM's me and add you to the list. My signal is terrible inside the center for some reason, so the sooner you PM me, the better your chances will be to get added. Let's try to keep the bulk of the planning in the thread, and we'll coordinate details, position in the center, meetup points, etc in the channel. I also advise anyone with general questions about the city to use the Slack Channel, as the locals have a good sense of how to get to where you want to go.

Welcome to Boston! We hope that you enjoy your stay, and please feel free to reach out to us with general questions right here in the thread. I look forward to reconnecting with everyone again, and I'm excited to interact with some new faces.

jessterfer

Neo Member
How does one find more information about this? Is it just his thread or should I be checking other places?
Edit: I don't read well. Add to slack please

SUPARSTARX

Might have time to swing by Saturday with some friends.

Will be in a SFV M. Bison costume Friday and Saturday roaming the halls.

Jhoan

First PAX I'm involuntarily skipping. I thought I was going to work as an exhibitor but I haven't gotten a confirmation email so I'm not holding my breath at this point. I'll miss Boston but I'm going to Chicago next month for the first time ever. Meeting Suda 51 at Aloft last year was one of the biggest highlights for me.

Here's a list of all the current and ex Giant Bomb panels: http://www.giantbomb.com/pax-east-2017/3015-8877/forums/pax-guide-2017-east-edition-1807524/#20

I've only got tickets for Friday but I'm there Fri/Sat and leave Sat at 10 PM.

Anybody going to that Acer party thing Friday night?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
People who still need tickets should check out Craigslist. Got a pass for face value this weekend.

It's my first time going - any free after parties going on? I'm used to New York and San Diego Comic Con that normally have a ton of late night events / parties but only have been able to find the Acer gaming lounge one on Friday night.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a video game that just released this past Friday to critical acclaim.

An immersive, tough, and encompassing experience, it's no wonder that the thread here on GAF is just really, really active. It's also very likely the reason that, if anyone PM's me tonight for access, that I might not get to it.

I'll be playing Zelda, you see.

Anyway, don't let that stop you. Send the PM if you want in, and I'll add you as soon as I'm able. The more we're able to coordinate, the better.

And please...if anyone local has any suggestions other than mine, I'm very open to them.

Mesoian

Trying to decide whether to go to the game night at Laugh-In or the Monsterkat party on thursday night. Both are solid events that will last all night, but I think it's gonna be either or...

I'll be there Friday, I have class unfortunately from 6 to 9 PM though, so I can hopefully still meet up with some of you peoples afterwards for some dranks. Woop Woop. I'll still be at PAX during the day.

Necrovex

If my sister wasn't getting married this weekend , I would have joined y'all this year. Alas I will be missing PAX for the third year in a row.

Haines

Banned
We are coming into town friday. Passes for sat and sun.

Does anyone have any reccomendations of must stops or good eats while we are in town the day before we hit pax?

Does anyone have any reccomendations of must stops or good eats while we are in town the day before we hit pax?

What are your interests? Boston is small by metropolis standards, but there's still lots to do.

For food, you're in luck, since most places in town are pretty tasty. Chinatown has an absurd amount of places to eat, most of which are legit. For seafood, I'm a fan of the Barking Crab near the Children's Museum.

Where in town are you staying?

Edwardo

I'll have a couple friends with me Friday and Saturday, so we'll see about meeting up. I definitely want to see y'all again though. Shojo was great last year.

Also I have an extra Friday pass, so if anyone is still looking lemme know..

Friday Night: Whiskey Priest

Saturday Night: Shojo

Please take these as suggestions only, and feel free to contribute your own ideas, locals!

I'll be at PAX Friday and Sunday. Definitely down to hit up Whiskey Priest Friday night.

I haven't done any of the panels in past years. If I want to attend the Mass Effect one at 4pm on Friday, what's my best bet for lining up to get a decent seat. It's in the Main room. Can I just stroll in? Do they get capped? Should I line up X hours early?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Y'all taking pics?

I'll have my camera. But I'm sure I'll be uploading some picks from my phone during the show.

Lucario

Yume Wo Katare in Somerville has the best noodles in the city if not the east coast. Expect to wait in line for a while during normal dinner hours, but it's 100% worth it. Also gets some bonus points for the weird-ass atmosphere - it's in a converted schoolhouse, and patrons are strongly encouraged to shout their life goals at each other. When asked if you want garlic, say yes.

Little Donkey in Cambridge is very pricey, but 100% worth a stop. Great cocktails, creative tapas.

We have two Korean/Mexican fusion places that opened last year - Olitoki in Allston is the good one. Strongly recommend it for a more casual dinner.

Finally, Mala in Alston has some of the best Sichuan I've ever eaten. It's across the street from Olitoki. Just eat two dinners that night.

I'll be at PAX Friday and Sunday. Definitely down to hit up Whiskey Priest Friday night.

I haven't done any of the panels in past years. If I want to attend the Mass Effect one at 4pm on Friday, what's my best bet for lining up to get a decent seat. It's in the Main room. Can I just stroll in? Do they get capped? Should I line up X hours early?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

The lines for popular panels can get capped hours in advance. Try to get there at least 2 hours early. Significantly earlier if you want a decent seat.

This is my first year! Really excited. Already a bit overwhelmed with all the things there are to do.

I do have a spare Sat/Sun pass if any gaffers need extras @ face value price, one of my friends couldn't make it. Slide into my DMs if you're interested.

Clearos

Lost count of how many years I've been going but if you are going multiple days I suggest you just wander around the first day and then the 2nd/3rd day start to pinpoint certain booths you want to check.

My favorite games from Pax are always the ones I was not planning on visiting.

ohkay

Lost count of how many years I've been going but if you are going multiple days I suggest you just wander around the first day and then the 2nd/3rd day start to pinpoint certain booths you want to check.

My favorite games from Pax are always the ones I was not planning on visiting.
The smaller booths/indie games are always the best

Haines

Banned
Yume Wo Katare in Somerville has the best noodles in the city if not the east coast. Expect to wait in line for a while during normal dinner hours, but it's 100% worth it. Also gets some bonus points for the weird-ass atmosphere - it's in a converted schoolhouse, and patrons are strongly encouraged to shout their life goals at each other. When asked if you want garlic, say yes.

Little Donkey in Cambridge is very pricey, but 100% worth a stop. Great cocktails, creative tapas.

We have two Korean/Mexican fusion places that opened last year - Olitoki in Allston is the good one. Strongly recommend it for a more casual dinner.

Finally, Mala in Alston has some of the best Sichuan I've ever eaten. It's across the street from Olitoki. Just eat two dinners that night.

The lines for popular panels can get capped hours in advance. Try to get there at least 2 hours early. Significantly earlier if you want a decent seat.

Incredibly helpful. We appreciate it.

The smaller booths/indie games are always the best

Agreed. I hope to hit up the stores and get a decent merch take from what looks good, but mostly I'll be drooling over the indies again.

It doesn't hurt to have a plan of attack (so to speak) drawn up either. Be sure to look at who's on the floor, what speaking engagements you want to check out, and make a pseudo-schedule.

Clearos

Speaking of indies, my unexpected game to find was tooth and nails and they will be at PAX this year as well. I highly recommend giving them a visit.

Starviper

Hey me and some friends are in town early doing some exploring. Anything really cool worth checking out? Might drop by that Yume Would Katare spot someone mentioned

Sober

Checked in so now I'm out to grab my passes and stuff. Anyone want to maybe grab something to eat or even dinner? I'm in the Chinatown area.

Top Bottom