• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2014 Thread: Meet-up details in OP

Struct09

I'm not worried about badges. There were a lot of scalpers outside the venue last year, and supply was more than the demand.

The only thing is that I'll have to take a risk and go down to Seattle.

I had a couple sets to sell last year and actually had a bit of competition selling them for cost on Seattle's Craiglist. So that's worth checking out as the event gets closer.

As for pick up times, they usually get announced later but international people should probably spring for the shipping option.

Ugh cheapo me selected Will Call which in hindsight is a stupid move since I highly doubt I'd be there early. Any chance I can change it?

Tangeroo

Why not limit the amount of tickets per address/person? Lets say a total of 2 per day basically stopping a number of scalpers from ordering 4+ per day and selling later.

Probably because scalpers/bots aren't deterred by a per-order/person limit and it helps to accommodate families, many of which go to PAX.

Dumb question, but how do I set a text alert for tweets in the future? I'm using the stock Twitter app on Android.

The few instructions I could find when I looked a couple weeks ago referenced options i couldn't find, as they were outdated.

Click on the profile you wish to track, and there should be a button with a star on it under their banner image. You'll then start getting notifications when they Tweet. (Note, this is for app notifications, not texts. It should still vibrate/ring if you've set the Twitter app to do so, but if you're looking for alerts outside of a data spot - you'll need to follow krae's instructions for SMS alerts).

krae_man

Dumb question, but how do I set a text alert for tweets in the future? I'm using the stock Twitter app on Android.

The few instructions I could find when I looked a couple weeks ago referenced options i couldn't find, as they were outdated.

-Go to settings
-mobile
-enter your cell number
-Select Text notifications Tweets from people you've enabled for mobile notifications
-Go to the twitter page you want SMS notifications for
-Click the little gear thing next to the follow unfollow button
-Select "turn on mobile notifications"

Absinthe

Probably because scalpers/bots aren't deterred by a per-order/person limit and it helps to accommodate families, many of which go to PAX.

They would be moreso if it was based on address.

As for families, limit it to total number then. If you want a family of 4 to go to pax you can go two days for a total of 8 tickets.

I would bet there are a small number of people this would affect and it would benefit most everybody else.

Feep

Banned
You're not showing off There Came an Echo at Prime?

On another note, hopefully they'll be quick with media registration this time.
Extremely unlikely. Showing off TCAE at PAX East was great, but incredibly expensive and stressful. I don't think we could accomplish too much at Prime that we didn't accomplish at East, and to be honest, we're gonna need that time to crunch. It's gonna be close to release.

New thread title: PAX 2014 tickets WERE on sale.

Honestly, between what happened to trying to get East tickets that were sold out 3 days passes in 20 minutes to this, and the mediocre showing a East. I can honestly say I'm done with PAX for now. It's now impossible for me to be at a job to find out about this and plan and buy tickets before they sell out. Well, I guess as someone who's been to one almost evey year since 08, I can see how they're hoping to satisfy public demand: attrition.

Aptos

Does anyone remember what scalpers were selling 1 day passes for out front of the venue? I remember them going for ~$35 after half day when the scalpers were trying to unload, but does anyone know what they go for before the venue opens?

Mully

Extremely unlikely. Showing off TCAE at PAX East was great, but incredibly expensive and stressful. I don't think we could accomplish too much at Prime that we didn't accomplish at East, and to be honest, we're gonna need that time to crunch. It's gonna be close to release.

Ah man. I would have loved to have played that game again. Understandable though. PAX booths are pretty expensive and exhausting. Good luck!

Ah man. I would have loved to have played that game again. Understandable though. PAX booths are pretty expensive and exhausting. Good luck!

I'm also inclined to argue that at this point, East is a lot more indie and retro friendly due to its timing. Prime is on the heels of E3, which for people who aren't directly going for the indies means that there's competition with the AAAs.

Good luck Feep. Didn't play, but took a glance and it looked good.

krae_man

New thread title: PAX 2014 tickets WERE on sale.

Honestly, between what happened to trying to get East tickets that were sold out 3 days passes in 20 minutes to this, and the mediocre showing a East. I can honestly say I'm done with PAX for now. It's now impossible for me to be at a job to find out about this and plan and buy tickets before they sell out. Well, I guess as someone who's been to one almost evey year since 08, I can see how they're hoping to satisfy public demand: attrition.

So you'd rather complain about not going then go? You need to lighten up. You know what the deal is. Stop being so cranky.

Some people in my group of friends got into the queue less than two minutes after the tweet went up, and not everyone got to the front of the line before passes were sold out. We had queues popping out of order, with the most blatant example being one person queuing first on his PC, then on his phone over 4G a minute later, and his phone reaching checkout several minutes before his PC. Friday/Saturday were already sold out once his computer made it through. I feel really bad about anyone who missed out because of the queues bugging out AGAIN this year (on top of the already atrocious scheduling).

A lot of us are students or work weird hours, though, so through sheer force of numbers we got enough people to successfully get to the checkout stage to buy passes for the entire group. We're all scattered around North America and Europe, and PAX Prime is the one time each year that we all get back together to hang out; we probably would have all traveled to Seattle regardless (especially since a lot of us already booked flights), but I'm glad we all managed to get passes too!!

Also man, this timing. I saw someone else in this thread mention it, but I've also noticed that the tickets go on sale on Wednesdays. I had a job interview today and specifically went with the earliest slot available just in case this happened, lol. Through sheer, stupid luck, I managed to time it perfectly--I was in front of a computer moments before the tweet went out.

Feep

Banned

I'm also inclined to argue that at this point, East is a lot more indie and retro friendly due to its timing. Prime is on the heels of E3, which for people who aren't directly going for the indies means that there's competition with the AAAs.

Good luck Feep. Didn't play, but took a glance and it looked good.
Thanks guys! <3

TommyT

Glad to see they didn't fix their issue from last year allowing anyone to buy as many tickets as they like!

Once you got passed the queue, you could open a new tab, paste in the url of the event, and immediately be able to purchase up to 4x more tickets with a new timer.

Kiryu

Glad to see they didn't fix their issue from last year allowing anyone to buy as many tickets as they like!

Once you got passed the queue, you could open a new tab, paste in the url of the event, and immediately be able to purchase up to 4x more tickets with a new timer.
Is that definition of "Scalpers"? Cause it sounds you are one.

Kyou

oh, super!

They also auto-cancelled the tickets of anyone that used that exploit last year and put them back up for general sale at a later date.

Blueblur1

Has anyone parked at the convention center before? I'm curious as to how much parking is. Thinking of booking a hotel further away since everything in the immediate vicinity is pricey.

Hero

Do you have an example of an event with 70k+ people going to it that sells tickets this way?

Let's say they do this. How would that slow down scalping unless you had to show your ID upon entry? Again, we're talking about a 70k+ person event with lots of kids.

To clarify though, PAX is a turnstile count system.

I.e. a weekend pass for PAX Prime for one person is counted four times (one each day). If you buy a Friday and Saturday badge you are counted twice total. It's not 70,000 unique people.

Allforce

Does anyone remember what scalpers were selling 1 day passes for out front of the venue? I remember them going for ~$35 after half day when the scalpers were trying to unload, but does anyone know what they go for before the venue opens?

I went in 2013, Friday, Sat., and Sunday. I was up there at 9 AM-ish each morning and like clockwork, there would be a dozen or more people selling passes for that day for 40-50 bucks. And this was just outside the "main" entrance right there on the corner.

Missing out on the online ticket-sale insanity means nothing. Just go and buy a pass outside from someone. If I were planning another trip to PAX Prime I wouldn't even bother with the online sale stampede and all the stress that causes, I'd just book my hotel around that time and go straight to the scalpers.

DJIzana

Wish I could go... Seattle isn't too far for me but my work has a blackout for taking vacation during that time.

Ah well... least I have a friend going who will bring me back swag and some nice impressions / video for some games I'm interested in. =)

Has anyone parked at the convention center before? I'm curious as to how much parking is. Thinking of booking a hotel further away since everything in the immediate vicinity is pricey.

It's kind of a pain because the convention center parking closes fairly early (like 11 or something, which basically rules most parties or other events out).

krae_man

Just pick something near the Light Rail and cab if you need to get around after it stops running.

Either that or bite the bullet and grab something within walking distance. Could be a life saver if you end up snagging or buying something large you don't want to carry around with you the rest of the day.

This is me just learning the Prime tickets were on sale and already sold out.

Angry.gif

FyreWulff

So like literally every popular event in history? Do you have an example of a scalper-proof method of selling event tickets? Also, none of what you mentioned is evidence of the PAX organizers trying to antagonize its fans for spectacle.

People are still buying hundreds of passes with a single credit card. Once again, it's in PA's business interest to get all their passes sold out and shove the risk of actually selling the tickets to an actual person onto the scalpers.

I mean, fuck, they even set up a booth where you can validate a scalper's pass before you buy it. They enjoy their little system as it is.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
People are still buying hundreds of passes with a single credit card. Once again, it's in PA's business interest to get all their passes sold out and shove the risk of actually selling the tickets to an actual person onto the scalpers.

I mean, fuck, they even set up a booth where you can validate a scalper's pass before you buy it. They enjoy their little system as it is.

Of course, what they don't mention in this little diatribe is that if more than 4 tickets are tied to a single credit card; all of them get cancelled. This is how they opened up tickets later on last year. (I knew a couple of folks that got their tickets cancelled for this, so I do know that it is done quite thoroughly).

Patryn

For those of you complaining and thinking about next year, here's the way I'd approach things:

Pay attention to Paxsite.com. As soon as it begins to redirect to the Prime site instead of East, you know ticket sales are close by.

Pay attention to the official PAX twitter feed. It will tend to come to life somewhere between a few days ahead of time to a week.

Finally, tickets sales appear to generally be happening on a Wednesday around 10 or 11 a.m. PDT.

So if Paxsite gets updated to point to Prime on a Monday, I'd be ready to be at a computer around that time on that Wednesday.

Sofa King

For those of you complaining and thinking about next year, here's the way I'd approach things:

Pay attention to Paxsite.com. As soon as it begins to redirect to the Prime site instead of East, you know ticket sales are close by.

Pay attention to the official PAX twitter feed. It will tend to come to life somewhere between a few days ahead of time to a week.

Finally, tickets sales appear to generally be happening on a Wednesday around 10 or 11 a.m. PDT.

So if Paxsite gets updated to point to Prime on a Monday, I'd be ready to be at a computer around that time on that Wednesday.

You'd have been sitting by your computer for a month or more with this method this year. You really only need one thing, twitter notifications. My phone beeped at me, and I looked at it, went to the link and bought tickets.

Wazzy

Banned
Me and Bluebadger got our tickets! This will be our first year going!

We managed to get them due to the twitter notification.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Westin is a great hotel and not a far walk. That PAX hotel thing really helps. I think I got the rooms for like $170 a night through the PAX hotel tool, everywhere else the same rooms were like $300 a night.

TommyT

Is that definition of "Scalpers"? Cause it sounds you are one.

I'm a scalper because I posted a flaw that's been in the system for over a year now? Might want to check my record when it comes to PAX, tickets, and GAF.

They also auto-cancelled the tickets of anyone that used that exploit last year and put them back up for general sale at a later date.

I think it was more along the lines of those that used the same information (CC's, Addresses, Emails, etc.) to have all those tickets be purchased. I don't remember if they listed the exact criteria, though.

Patryn

You'd have been sitting by your computer for a month or more with this method this year. You really only need one thing, twitter notifications. My phone beeped at me, and I looked at it, went to the link and bought tickets.

Actually, you wouldn't be sitting there for a month. The site just redirected this week.

krae_man

I remember they said they were going to do this. Did they actually do it?

Last year they voided a bunch of orders they felt circumvented the ticket limits. Some people felt as though they got caught in that net incorrectly and contacted PA about it and PA made decisions on a case by case basis.

They did put up a very small number of passes that came available from these voided orders and they sold out pretty much instantly.

rothbart

~$25-30 night. If you park in the convention center parking (which I highly recommend) it gets gated at night. You can still gain access to your car (and leave), but nobody that doesn't pass through the main, manned gate can mess with your car. I would typically park my car there day one and then walk for the weekend, only to get my car out at the end... was ~$75 for the three day show. Add another $25 if you're doing all four days. You can easily access your car to get/put stuff inside.

Le-mo

~$25-30 night. If you park in the convention center parking (which I highly recommend) it gets gated at night. You can still gain access to your car (and leave), but nobody that doesn't pass through the main, manned gate can mess with your car. I would typically park my car there day one and then walk for the weekend, only to get my car out at the end... was ~$75 for the three day show. Add another $25 if you're doing all four days. You can easily access your car to get/put stuff inside.
There's also parking at Pacific Place for $10 all day.

krae_man

There's usually Thursday pick up times so picking up at the venue shouldn't be too bad. I went some time on Friday last year to get a replacement pass(I had a defective one) and I waited maybe two minutes. Met Adam Boyes too.

Then again, I would imagine Friday morning before the show floor opens is probably different.

riotous

Banned
I used to work in the building next to the convention center.

There's a lot of parking around.

Freeway Park is an option that is kind of hard to get to, so it might have spots open whereas the more obvious garages don't. It's essentially attached to the back of the convention center.. you cross a small street and enter a back door.

http://www.nweventshow.com/directions-freewayparkpkg/

Pacific Place is THE best parking in downtown though... but on big event days, it generally fills up, and can be a nightmare to get both in and out of the entrances.

Also you can stay along the route for the South Lake Union Streetcar

http://seattlestreetcar.com/slu.htm

It ends at Westlake Center, the walk is really not far.

Or the Seattle Monorail

http://www.seattlemonorail.com/

Although the routes are kind of similar, and I think the SLUS goes by more hotels.

Here's the map of Westlake to the Convention Center:

QeeRmDI.png

I always say: take the indirect route. Both Westlake and The Convention Center are public transportation hubs of sorts, and most people would probably choose a direct route.

Top Bottom