• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2014 Thread: Meet-up details in OP

Dart

the PAX forum or here is where I've gotten mine the past few years. Lots of people will have extras a week or so before the event.

Albeit at a reasonable price no? I don't think I can afford another leg & a half I paid for tickets last year.

Firestorm

Why is that? I thought I'd rather wait the lines at the Will call rather than paying the shipping costs, but perhaps I was too naive (it's my first PAX Prime) and the lines are several hours long?
You'll be fine. I got mine shipped this year so I could distribute to friends if I end up not going. So far it's looking like I'll probably go for the first two days but $27 / 4 isn't too much at least.

Way less excited this year as I was the only one who got through the queue in my group of friends I usually hang out with during PAX. Everyone else is pretty fed up with how hard it is to get tickets (especially after last year's meh expo hall) so doesn't feel like hunting for tickets.

For those of you complaining and thinking about next year, here's the way I'd approach things:

Pay attention to Paxsite.com. As soon as it begins to redirect to the Prime site instead of East, you know ticket sales are close by.

Pay attention to the official PAX twitter feed. It will tend to come to life somewhere between a few days ahead of time to a week.

Finally, tickets sales appear to generally be happening on a Wednesday around 10 or 11 a.m. PDT.

So if Paxsite gets updated to point to Prime on a Monday, I'd be ready to be at a computer around that time on that Wednesday.
I logged on to the website not 15 minutes after the tickets went on sale. All I could get was a Monday pass.

What they have in palce is a horrible system.

Trace

Banned
I logged on to the website not 15 minutes after the tickets went on sale. All I could get was a Monday pass.

What they have in palce is a horrible system.

15 was too late, I was in 30 seconds after and 4days were already sold out. PAX Prime is huge, I know I spent 3 weeks F5ing hard every single day at 10am. If you're not as dedicated, you're going to lose tickets to people who are.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
15 was too late, I was in 30 seconds after and 4days were already sold out. PAX Prime is huge, I know I spent 3 weeks F5ing hard every single day at 10am. If you're not as dedicated, you're going to lose tickets to people who are.

Dedication is the wrong word to use here.

Some people have dayjobs where they can't access computers, not to mention shoddy cell phone service...
I honestly didn't know they were on sale until about 5-10 minutes after. Sucked.

Didn't acquire any. Still going :)

Trace

Banned
Dedication is the wrong word to use here.

Some people have dayjobs where they can't access computers, not to mention shoddy cell phone service...
I honestly didn't know they were on sale until about 5-10 minutes after. Sucked.

Didn't acquire any. Still going :)

I have a dayjob where I can't access a computer as well. Either get friends that aren't busy to do it, or do it off a phone.

The issue is that while "The most dedicated fans get the best tickets" is a noble concept, it ultimately results in the most dedicated individuals being scalpers. Fans were able to figure out when the tickets were going to go live before the announcement tweet went out - it's safe to suspect somebody with a profit motivation got in as well, and took advantage of the system.

Trace

Banned
The issue is that while "The most dedicated fans get the best tickets" is a noble concept, it ultimately results in the most dedicated individuals being scalpers. Fans were able to figure out when the tickets were going to go live before the announcement tweet went out - it's safe to suspect somebody with a profit motivation got in as well, and took advantage of the system.

The scalper argument has been brought up before, and it's been revoked by the PAX staff. They do it the way they do it to deter scalpers, and the number of scalped tickets is below 5%. There are just far more people that want to go to PAX than they have tickets, and so if you really want to go you just camp the site to see when it goes up, and then you grab tickets. I have never had problems getting tickets the past 3 years I've gone, just get a group of friends and make sure you're all ready to go when they go on sale.

That being said, this year was the worst for that since they went on sale so late compared to previous years.

Lots of people will have extras a week or so before the event.
I know this is the case, and I should lighten up about it, but it's not realistic for anyone who's traveling to a)book time off from work, of what little vacation time i have, months in advance b)buy tickets, hotel all in advance of such date and then c)pray that someone release some tickets weeks beforehand. I would be more than happy to commit to doing all of that KNOWING I can actually get in, not wait till a week in advance, and the only way to confirm it now is just pay someone who bought extra to scalp. Thanks, but no thanks.

riotous

Banned
Post a query here in this thread.

I immediately got a couple of responses; one was at face value, the other a reasonable markup.

A fraction of what I'd have paid on E-bay.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know this is the case, and I should lighten up about it, but it's not realistic for anyone who's traveling to a)book time off from work, of what little vacation time i have, months in advance b)buy tickets, hotel all in advance of such date and then c)pray that someone release some tickets weeks beforehand. I would be more than happy to commit to doing all of that KNOWING I can actually get in, not wait till a week in advance, and the only way to confirm it now is just pay someone who bought extra to scalp. Thanks, but no thanks.
I spent 20 minutes on CL getting what I needed for PAX at PAX (Had to trade for days). Not a problem.
Not 100%, but I wouldn't worry about attending any events with this many people.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Post a query here in this thread.

I immediately got a couple of responses; one was at face value, the other a reasonable markup.

A fraction of what I'd have paid on E-bay.

Seriously, I already offered to cover one guy here for face value, and depending on how flaky my friends are, I might have two more sets.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

That's really stupid reasoning. People have lives – they can't be sitting at a computer 24/7 hoping to purchase tickets to somewhere. Plus, I've never been, and I'd really like to go. Sometimes it's not just a question of dedication.

Aptos

Does anyone have 2x four day sets/passes or even 2x weekend sets they'd be willing to sell? My best friend from college and I use PAX as our yearly get together, but we both have jobs now and missed out on getting tickets this year since we were... you know... working. If so, PM me and let's discuss terms :p I have a gaming-related hook up to sweeten the deal.

Trace

Banned
That's really stupid reasoning. People have lives – they can't be sitting at a computer 24/7 hoping to purchase tickets to somewhere. Plus, I've never been, and I'd really like to go. Sometimes it's not just a question of dedication.

The "people have lives" excuse does not work, sorry. I basically put my life on hold for three weeks ever morning at 10am so I could search for PAX tickets. Again, if you're not as dedicated as that you're not going to get tickets because there are people that are.

It's really not that hard to find scalped tickets at the ticket price or just above right before the convention however, plans change for a lot of people in three months.

Firestorm

What's with the dedication stuff? If you set text alerts on your phone for their Twitter account you were good to go for the most part. I wasn't even at a computer but just did it on my phone. And this is after being stupid enough to make a Facebook post to try and highlight as many friends as possible first.

Past few years I've been able to scrounge up an extra day or two for friends who needed a pass using GAF. People here are great and it's usually mutual (someone has a last minute cancellation).

the PAX forum or here is where I've gotten mine the past few years. Lots of people will have extras a week or so before the event.

IF anyone has any extras, please send me a PM. I am not sure of the etiquette here so I don't want to violate any thread rules.

Mully

IF anyone has any extras, please send me a PM. I am not sure of the etiquette here so I don't want to violate any thread rules.

You're fine to ask around here. I'd suggest you wait until the few weeks prior to PAX to get tickets. Prices will go down, and more tickets will become available.

GSR

I was on vacation/very limited internet when the tickets dropped; a friend managed to get us Monday passes but nothing else.

I'll be spending the next few months looking for pairs of Saturday/Sunday tickets, so if anyone has some to spare, feel free to drop me a PM. (We won't be able to go Friday anyway.)

krae_man

Don't know if it means anything or not but the verbiage on Paxsite.com changed from "Tickets are sold out, nothing more is coming available" to "Attendee registration is not open at this time. Check back soon for more information.".

They may be gearing up for a second batch from cancelled scalper orders and whatnot. Better go back to F5ing the site and set up that SMS notification for @Official_PAX if you still want to nab tickets.

krae_man

Details are starting to come out:

STORYTIME AND CONCERT LINEUP!

We are excited to announce that for our PAX Prime 2014 Storytime Session we have the extremely talented Chief Creative Champion from Gearbox Software, Mikey Neumann. Mikey has worked at Gearbox for 13 years and has written for many of their games, most notably the Borderlands franchise. Mikey spends his free time writing novels, comics with IDW Publishing, and doing a comedy podcast with Kris Straub called Chainsawsuit.

In addition to Mikey starting things off this year, we also have some top tier musical stylings to announce. Friday night will feature three great bands in Triforce Quartet, The Doubleclicks, and Paul & Storm. Saturday will feature a special live event, and then Sunday keeps it all rolling with the amazing MC Frontalot, Bit Brigade, and 7bit Hero all coming to deliver awesome tunes. Check them out here.

riotous

Banned
My wife got some extra tickets today from that for her friend that's in town that weekend.

Lucky I guess.. She got the alert on her phone and did it right away.

krae_man

Ugh, same. Bad time to go to the bathroom, I guess.

Still looking for a Saturday pass, if anyone has an extra.

Their's a Sounders game on Saturday you can go to instead if you don't end up getting a Saturday pass.

Hopefully a few more gaffers ended up getting passes today.

Likewise. Either I set up Twitter notifications incorrectly or they don't function the way I expect.

I got a text message immediately when I set them up for the original onsale.

GSR

Their's a Sounders game on Saturday you can go to instead if you don't end up getting a Saturday pass.

Hopefully a few more gaffers ended up getting passes today.

I'm local to the area, so luckily I'm not dealing with committed hotel reservations/etc., but it'd be a shame to miss Saturday (have Sunday/Monday passes, can't go Friday.)

I got a text message immediately when I set them up for the original onsale.

I thought I had notifications set up, but I got nothing. My guess is something got screwed up when I recently changed phones, and since the main sales were over I never thought to double-check and fix that.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Last 5 years the notifications have worked pretty much dead on for getting a full set of passes. Assuming you can respond within a couple of minutes of the notifications, just click on the link and go.

Lexxon

GAF,

I have the following extra passes:

3x Friday
3x Saturday
3x Sunday
2x Monday

I bought 4 full single-day sets thinking I'd have some local people come with me, but I'm flying solo minus Monday.

I live in central MA but am going to the show, so the best option is likely to do the trade in Seattle the week of the show. I'm coming in late Wednesday night, so Thursday or Friday morning would be best. If you happen to live in New England, we may be able to trade beforehand. I do not have the passes yet (no one does), but they're probably due in the next week or two.

I would prefer to sell to as few people as possible--2 full sets of Fri - Mon should be able to go to someone.

I'm not looking to make a profit, just make my money back. List price for all was $35/day ($140 for full set).

Sorry this is so late--I should have posted this a month ago so non-local people could have more time to prepare, but I didn't solidify my own plans until recently.

First come first serve via PM, please!

(PM already sent to GSR who was looking for a Saturday, and SparksterMeta0 looking for ???)

Tickets mostly spoken for, and have enough PMs to do the rest, I think. I'll make a new post if I still end up with some extras.

krae_man

Panels should be announced soon AVGN posted when his movie screening and panel were. Movie is in the "sphinx" theater and the panel is in the "sasquach" theater. I'd hope after 4 years I'd know my way around but nope, they keep moving/renaming theaters so I have to pull up the map constantly to figure out where I'm going.

FyreWulff

Panels should be announced soon AVGN posted when his movie screening and panel were. Movie is in the "sphinx" theater and the panel is in the "sasquach" theater. I'd hope after 4 years I'd no my way around but nope, they keep moving/renaming theaters so I have to pull up the map every constantly to figure out where I'm going.

Yeah, the theater naming system is stupid and tries to be overly cute but non functional.

Theater names need to be named after their location, and a number. Sheraton 1, Sheraton 2, etc.

krae_man

I could deal with Unicorn, Kraken, Serpent etc if they stuck with them and kept them in the same spot. But nope, musical theaters, now with name changes!

krae_man

My passes arrived in the mail!

UCyviyz.jpg

Theatres have all been renamed:

Hedgehog Theatre(Kraken last year)
Sandworm Theatre(Pegasus/Wolfman last year)
Sasquash Theatre(Pegasus/Wolfman last year)
Sphinx Theatre(Serpent last year)
Wombat Theatre(Raven last year)
Wyvern Theatre(Unicorn last year)

Totally not confusing.

blurrygil

My passes arrived in the mail!

UCyviyz.jpg

Really look forward to seeing you again, Krae!

So hey all, I'm Gil and a proud local here in Seattle. Been attending PAX since it's inception out in Bellevue here and have enjoyed each and every outing. Dig meeting new people and discovering new current and future gaming projects, be it video gaming, tabletop or other mediums.

Two big things I want to give a shout out about:

1) I look forward to our annual and semi-official GAF meetup! Has this been organized yet? If not, I'd be happy to take the reigns of this again or team up with Luckyboy.

2) I'm looking to host a super-rad tabletop night on one or a couple of evenings. Traditionally, I close out each of my days at PAX at the Olive 8 Hyatt Gaming Lounges or somewhere nearby--playing tabletop games I generally bring from home or new hotness I've recently bought. I may, if space allows it, host one or more of these up at the Raygun Lounge (nearby tabletop cafe on Capitol Hill) or even at my place (further up the hill, still fairly close). This would all depend on interest and timing. But if there are any of you guys wanting to rock some dice and zombie miniatures (or more), I'm your guy!

Anyways and as always, looking forward to PAX once again and hoping to meet (or catch up with) as many of you as possible.

NolbertoS

Damn, I want to go to Pax :(. Been there once and thats it. Someday I'll return. Seeing the IGN booth and games was cool.

krae_man

Really look forward to seeing you again, Krae!

So hey all, I'm Gil and a proud local here in Seattle. Been attending PAX since it's inception out in Bellevue here and have enjoyed each and every outing. Dig meeting new people and discovering new current and future gaming projects, be it video gaming, tabletop or other mediums.

Two big things I want to give a shout out about:

1) I look forward to our annual and semi-official GAF meetup! Has this been organized yet? If not, I'd be happy to take the reigns of this again or team up with Luckyboy.

2) I'm looking to host a super-rad tabletop night on one or a couple of evenings. Traditionally, I close out each of my days at PAX at the Olive 8 Hyatt Gaming Lounges or somewhere nearby--playing tabletop games I generally bring from home or new hotness I've recently bought. I may, if space allows it, host one or more of these up at the Raygun Lounge (nearby tabletop cafe on Capitol Hill) or even at my place (further up the hill, still fairly close). This would all depend on interest and timing. But if there are any of you guys wanting to rock some dice and zombie miniatures (or more), I'm your guy!

Anyways and as always, looking forward to PAX once again and hoping to meet (or catch up with) as many of you as possible.

Sup Gil.

Some combination of Lucky, you and I will be planning the meetup as usual. We'll pick a date once the schedule comes out. We need to make sure we don't schedule it at the same time as the Bombcast or any other big panel people don't want to miss. I know for myself I don't want to miss the AVGN movie screening Friday night.

And if there aren't any Panels I desperately don't want to miss, you might be able to talk me into going to the Sounders game.

DrDogg

What confuses me about PAX passes is that they put a hard limit on media badges. I've been going to E3 for over a decade and TGS a few times as well. This is the first gaming event that I've seen limit passes to media. I'm still going to email to see if I can get in as I have coverage of the event to do, but I was pretty surprised to see media badges "over capacity".

Patryn

What confuses me about PAX passes is that they put a hard limit on media badges. I've been going to E3 for over a decade and TGS a few times as well. This is the first gaming event that I've seen limit passes to media. I'm still going to email to see if I can get in as I have coverage of the event to do, but I was pretty surprised to see media badges "over capacity".

E3 and TGS are media-focused conferences. They exist for the media, retail buyers and developers. Technically, the average consumer isn't even supposed to be able to go to E3.

PAX is a consumer-focused conference. It exists for the average person who isn't in the media or works in the industry.

PAX Prime especially plays really close to the fire code, so it makes sense that they'd rather limit media, their secondary audience, in favor of getting some more normal con-goers in.

Lord knows it's difficult enough getting passes already. Any additional media passes would mean fewer regular passes available.

Top Bottom