• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of which: LMAO @ Infamy 2.0. Like there was already little reason to regrind FIVE. DAMN. TIMES. for skill point reductions, now they want you to grind a further 15+ times for new masks. That's it. Nothing else besides minor EXP increases.

If skill points were further reduced to where you could get all skills? Maybe. But "MUH BREAKING THE GAME" ain't gonna happen.

Get the 4-5 decent masks (Heister Sentry, Android, Venger, Balaclava, Kamul) and don't bother with Infamy after that.

Which, BTW two of those are RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER so you can save 2 or so Infamy's by just grinding and doing the EXP node between the two.

But hey, at least after Infamy 5 you no longer lose your cash, so yay?

Um, i'm getting this:
2764434-4764190298-HLM2_.jpg

Because if this doesn't qualify to getting the Jacket pack....

I got my HM2 CE last night and redeemed the code on the phone card and it's the special edition and the soundtrack DLC as a single code, so I'm guessing that it counts. I guess we'll find out on 3/10 when the Jacket pack drops, and if we don't get it we can start yelling and screaming.

O.DOGG

Speaking of which: LMAO @ Infamy 2.0. Like there was already little reason to regrind FIVE. DAMN. TIMES. for skill point reductions, now they want you to grind a further 15+ times for new masks. That's it. Nothing else besides minor EXP increases.

If skill points were further reduced to where you could get all skills? Maybe. But "MUH BREAKING THE GAME" ain't gonna happen.

Get the 4-5 decent masks (Heister Sentry, Android, Venger, Balaclava, Kamul) and don't bother with Infamy after that.

Which, BTW two of those are RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER so you can save 2 or so Infamy's by just grinding and doing the EXP node between the two.

But hey, at least after Infamy 5 you no longer lose your cash, so yay?

Yeah, the new Infamy system is a disappointment. Personally I doubt I'll be moving past I-V, I don't see any point. I like the balaclava but I don't think it's worth the grind.

TheSeks

Yeah, the new Infamy system is a disappointment. Personally I doubt I'll be moving past I-V, I don't see any point. I like the balaclava but I don't think it's worth the grind.

Nothing was worth the grind besides the skill point reduction anyway. Once you reached 100 before Infamy was introduced there was little reason to continue to play. The only reason they introduced infamy was to artificial grind. It's all sorts of stupid. I blame it on the fact there is various RNG systems (drops, paydays, etc) in the game plus the heists all being nearly the same in mission structures to where there is little variation helping this. If the game was "fun" enough without the grind? I'm sure people would still play, hell there was still people playing beyond Infamy 5-100 already. The problem is they continue to inflate this grind while not fleshing out "fun" things to do in the meantime.

O.DOGG

Nothing was worth the grind besides the skill point reduction anyway. Once you reached 100 before Infamy was introduced there was little reason to continue to play. The only reason they introduced infamy was to artificial grind. It's all sorts of stupid. I blame it on the fact there is various RNG systems (drops, paydays, etc) in the game plus the heists all being nearly the same in mission structures to where there is little variation helping this. If the game was "fun" enough without the grind? I'm sure people would still play, hell there was still people playing beyond Infamy 5-100 already. The problem is they continue to inflate this grind while not fleshing out "fun" things to do in the meantime.

Yeah, exactly my point. I think the infamy 1-5 added to the fun factor. The new infamy levels add nothing. XP bonus? Wow, great. I think they should've scrapped it, announced to the community that they would leave the infamy ceiling at 5 and focused on making more various heists, which is what the game really needs.

On the upside, we are about to have a couple of new heists now, so that should bring some life to the game.

BBboy20

I got my HM2 CE last night and redeemed the code on the phone card and it's the special edition and the soundtrack DLC as a single code, so I'm guessing that it counts. I guess we'll find out on 3/10 when the Jacket pack drops, and if we don't get it we can start yelling and screaming.
I hope so, man.

You know, maybe having masks actually do something would have been the way to go.

Alastor3

Im a big fan of Payday 2. But I have to say, im a bit scared that people are going to leave the game in favor of GTA V with the Heist online.

Payday have still a lot of content unreleased with at least 3 heists and 2 unreleased characters, and they now are in partnership with lionhead studio.

I just bought all the DLC and I just hope the community won't leave the game in april.

Im a big fan of Payday 2. But I have to say, im a bit scared that people are going to leave the game in favor of GTA V with the Heist online.
I could be wrong but I think the people that are still playing Payday 2 regularly are fans specifically of Payday 2.

Shinjica

Now i'm really angry. This was a question from a random guy in the AMA

I'm sure no one else will be asking this, but will you be making an Infamy 2.1 Update, seeing how badly received the 2.0 Update was? There's a quote from you, saying that you would either go with masks, or something cooler that would take more time. I'm pretty sure most people would prefer something cooler.

and now, Almir answer

Rekalty, thanks for your question. I think it's too early to say it has been badly received. Frankly speaking, there is a lot of positive reception from a lurking majority who focus on playing the game. Then, there is the vocal few who focus on discussing the system rather than trying it out. From our end, we will continue to monitor both parties and at one point in time in the near future, we will sit down and be like "so what should we do now?". The system having been release merely 48 hours ago, that time is not now.

really Almir? Even Overkill now use this kind of PR bullsh*t now?

TheSeks

Yeah, exactly my point. I think the infamy 1-5 added to the fun factor. The new infamy levels add nothing. XP bonus? Wow, great. I think they should've scrapped it, announced to the community that they would leave the infamy ceiling at 5 and focused on making more various heists, which is what the game really needs.

On the upside, we are about to have a couple of new heists now, so that should bring some life to the game.

I disagree. Infamy 1-5 is just as pointless as 6+. The only reason to do Infamy 1-5 is for the point reduction cost on whichever skill tree(s) you use. 6+ would be good if those exp bonuses happened earlier on. The grinding again for masks and that's it is just terrible filler like the RNG and other bullshit they throw at you at the end of the missions.

really Almir? Even Overkill now use this kind of PR bullsh*t now?

Almir's always been terrible. You really shouldn't expect him to answer fan backlash because he won't really give an answer to ANYTHING that critics Overkill.

Valkrai

The Spring Break event starts today and website is now live http://www.overkillsoftware.com/springbreak/

For those who want the schedule:

Day 1- Heist Updates (Rats Day 1 and Train Heist)
Day 2- Side Jobs
Day 3- Bonnie Character Pack
Day 4- Paydaycon, 10 heisters flown to LA, and Golden Grin Preview
Day 5- Van Turret Enemy
Day 6- Car Shop Heist
Day 7- Butcher Mod Pack 2
Day 8- Hoxton Revenge

Edit: Thanks Jay for noticing the mistake :)

For those who want the schedule:

Day 1- Heist Updates (Rats Day 1 and Train Heist)
Day 2- Side Jobs
Day 3- Bonnie Character Pack
Day 4- Paydaycon, 10 heisters flown to LA, and Golden Grin Preview
Day 5- Van Turret Enemy
Day 6- Car Shop Heist
Day 7- Butcher Mod Pack
Day 8- Hoxton Revenge
It's 8 days. Butcher mods go between the 2 missions. Actually it's 9 days but only 8 days of releases...hmm.

I'm hoping it's sooner than Hoxton Revenge. It could be likely that Bonnie or Car Shop could add more lines.
I'd like it to be sooner too, but the reason I think it might be then is because they posted a video of Almir talking about the updates, and when he talked about the secret update it showed footage of audio editing software.

Of course it could be another goofy song by the payday crew or something.

xezuru

Sidejobs are a cool addition, atleast we have a consistent way to get mods for guns we unlock now.

I feel like with the overkill dlc, the meta swung way hard over to the heavy titan builds, hope we see mods/alternatives for dodge builds / akimbo in the upcoming mod pack.

Can't wait for revenge heist.

O.DOGG

Sidejobs are cool but I just finished Rats day one with 7 bags of meth only to find out that I already have all the mods available for unlocking for all the weapons. I was hoping I could get a couple of the mods unlockable by achievement but no such luck. Oh well. Hopefully Bonnie is a pleasant surprise tomorrow.

It's a pain to do especially getting the Not Today achievement. Once you get the achievement mods, they can be bought infinitely IIRC.

Yeah I've got quite a few of them but there are some that are just a pain in the ass to get, it sucks even more that I had to pay for them via DLC and still don't have them unlocked to use yet.

O.DOGG

Finally got the Tabula Rasa achievement this morning. So intense! I was lucky to find people who wouldn't quit after the first couple of failures and who knew how to work well together. We were a great team. Times like these are the reason I love Payday 2 so much.

EDIT: Oh, and I finally got the Dillinger death mask after 540+ hours as a reward for completing the weekly side job, so everything's alright.

Disgraced

Yo, just wanted to say that Bonnie, the new free character was released today as part of the Spring Break event and she looks totally kickass in-game. The mohawk plus the neck tatts make her look hardcore. She looks like a lady I would not fuck with. Rockstar should take notes if they're going to make their GTA VI protagonist a lady, cause she should look like Bonnie.
sportlov_day3_bonnie_full.png

Yo, just wanted to say that Bonnie, the new free character was released today as part of the Spring Break event and she looks totally kickass in-game. The mohawk plus the neck tatts make her look hardcore. She looks like a lady I would not fuck with. Rockstar should take notes if they're going to make their GTA VI protagonist a lady, cause she should look like Bonnie.
sportlov_day3_bonnie_full.png

Her mask is awesome too, probably my favorite default mask for any heister.

The shotgun is pretty nice too. I haven't made up my mind about Bonnie as a character yet. Only played one heist with her on the team.

Yeah the shotguns great, it's like the Moscani before it was nerfed to hell. I think she's alright, although I feel her voice doesn't really fit her appearance, but that might just be me.

Yeah the shotguns great, it's like the Moscani before it was nerfed to hell. I think she's alright, although I feel her voice doesn't really fit her appearance, but that might just be me.
Her appearance was going to be Clover's until they switched her to Irish at the last second. The Happy Birthday Payday debut trailer was even this voice.

She's got a lot of good pager shout outs.

xezuru

Golden Grin seems right up the alley I wanted payday to go into, the thing missing from its sequel IMO is the "Scale" of the original game.
While most of the maps are smaller in PD:TH, even first world bank feels way more intricate than even big bank because of the way you coordinate before masking, coordinated shooting cameras, and multiple objectives that actually utilize you going around the entire map.

When it comes to Lion Game Lion, the Forest was hit and miss.
I like the "potential" of dockyard, lots of verticality in the architecture, a good balance of splitting your team up to stealth it with objectives all around, maybe if the warehouses were way bigger instead of minirooms it would've been up there with the greats. The forest is just an uncohesive open mess, feels like a map for the sake of throwing in snipers and tedium objectives.

Anyways, looking forward to what they can do, as this is the big one.

Zocano

Surprised at the amount of negativity is actually around this game here. I get it when it comes to a lot of the DLC but most of it is just weapons and mods while most of the heists are either free or easily playable through other people. Plus I've purchased most if not all the DLC through the big steam sales when they're incredibly cheap.

I agree that the heists aren't as strong as they could be but hopefully Golden Grin Heist takes it in a really good direction. But I never hated most of the heists. Rats Day 1 was always fun, I liked Big Bank (I didn't play a ton of Payday 1 so I can't really compare), and Hoxton Breakout is really good. The main thing I want out of going loud is having coordination between different objectives and Golden Grin sounds right up that alley (hopefully).

Golden Grin seems right up the alley I wanted payday to go into, the thing missing from its sequel IMO is the "Scale" of the original game.
While most of the maps are smaller in PD:TH, even first world bank feels way more intricate than even big bank because of the way you coordinate before masking, coordinated shooting cameras, and multiple objectives that actually utilize you going around the entire map.

Anyways, looking forward to what they can do, as this is the big one.

Also I guess having a consistent group of 4 to play with is always nice like this fucker here.

Valkrai

So T$E's showing off the new Turret enemy, it has 50000 health on Overkill. Deathwish has 70000 health.

I am really sorry that people don't like the pay to win DLCfest you picked up in a Steam sale.

Thing is, it isn't P2W. You can do perfectly fine with the base weapons of the game (CAR4 and Judge being some of the best in the game), and the heists are still available to play if you don't have it.

xezuru

So T$E's showing off the new Turret enemy, it has 50000 health on Overkill. Deathwish has 70000 health.

Thing is, it isn't P2W. You can do perfectly fine with the base weapons of the game (CAR4 and Judge being some of the best in the game), and the heists are still available to play if you don't have it.

But you know, why do that when you can pay for a weapon that one hits every single enemy in the game
Kappa

Oreoleo

DeathWish is pay to win. With the Thanatos and explosive shotgun shells the game becomes way, WAY easier. This doesn't even seem arguable to me. I don't play DW, but the fact remains.

Also, lol at the guy who was like "I don't understand why people are upset about this game" and then lists heists that weren't in the game for a full year as why *he* likes the game. C'mon son.

Payday 2 stumbled right out of the gate with the devs outright LYING about the amount of content in the game. They said there was something like 18 or 24 heists in the game. Turns out they were counting each every day of every heist separately, included the short 3 minute escape missions as heists AND each variation of the small bank separately (gold, cash, etc). Payday 2 launched with like 7 heists. People were upset about being misled, myself included.

And then there was the part where Cloakers got removed from the game about a week before launch (they were in the beta) and didn't get re-added for at least 6 months.

They also promised safe house customization but I think pretty much everyone has given up on that.

The game has had a troubled development from day 1 and frankly I think the devs deserve just about all the criticism they receive.

Sorry for the rant.

Zocano

Also, lol at the guy who was like "I don't understand why people are upset about this game" and then lists heists that weren't in the game for a full year as why *he* likes the game. C'mon son.

I listed those cause they were my favorite but I had plenty of enjoyment from the standard bank heists, firestarter, framing frames, and rats were all fun (and Rats Day 1 was one of the ones I listed) and I greatly enjoyed my time with them both loud and silent.

Most of the weapon DLC I felt was mostly harmless as far as weapons but Thanatos was pushing it and RPG is sort of an insult.

And if you want to call me out then at least say so instead of going "lol at that guy"

I played in the beta and at launch and, yes, I agree the content isn't as extensive as they said or as deep is it could be but I still enjoy the content we currently have. Don't take this as me just being overly positive and ignorant of the problems, but the intensity of the pitchforking isn't a thing I'm into.

Valkrai

DeathWish is pay to win. With the Thanatos and explosive shotgun shells the game becomes way, WAY easier. This doesn't even seem arguable to me. I don't play DW, but the fact remains.

Payday 2 stumbled right out of the gate with the devs outright LYING about the amount of content in the game. They said there was something like 18 or 24 heists in the game. Turns out they were counting each every day of every heist separately, included the short 3 minute escape missions as heists AND each variation of the small bank separately (gold, cash, etc). Payday 2 launched with like 7 heists. People were upset about being misled, myself included.

And then there was the part where Cloakers got removed from the game about a week before launch (they were in the beta) and didn't get re-added for at least 6 months.

They also promised safe house customization but I think pretty much everyone has given up on that.

The game has had a troubled development from day 1 and frankly I think the devs deserve just about all the criticism they receive.

Sorry for the rant.

I'll give you that for Deathwish. Unless you have a Thanatos, RPG, HE Rounds, or a weapon that has 47 damage then you will be destroyed.

Cloakers apparently had a major crash issue when you got kicked by them and got fixed after a while. Safehouse Customization is far below in development, probably because it'd take too many resources to make when more heists can be made and most of the community could give less of a shit of that feature. It'd probably be very limited anyway. DLC should get more criticism, weapon packs and how heists are going. The Diamond being the worst example of lack of content for the $7.99 price (One map that can be completed in less than 20 minutes in stealth and loud, as well as 4 masks.) The Bomb was much better than The Diamond but the way Overkill handled the Hype Train event deserved as much shit as it got.

Oreoleo

And if you want to call me out then at least say so instead of going "lol at that guy"

I'm on mobile. Can't be bothered when my whole post was more of a response to the last half dozen posts on this page. Get over it.

The problem with the heists that were available at launch is that none of them are as involved or as interesting as anything in Payday 1, save for maybe Framing Frames day 3. On top of lying about amount of content and removing Cloaker and not being particularly transparent about it made for a pretty poor launch that burned a ton of goodwill they'd built up from the first game. I'm glad we are getting more content but the devs deserve to be under a critical eye.

Zocano

I just hate the whole "referring to/criticizing a person but not actually telling them directly" thing. I see it a lot and it just bugs me. Didn't mean to get on your ass about it but it's a posting peeve of mine.

Top Bottom