• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

The LT has always been expensive, and unboxed one in fair nick would always cost around £500 - £600, and you'd need to go most double to get a boxed one.

Just checked eBay and two boxed ones sold for drastically different prices, one in March was £700, one in May £2,000. Ebay can be all over the place sometimes.

Some games on the PCE have gone up 2x or 3x in a year or so, but even then the prices of some games seems about what they were.

The current unboxed one on eBay is priced at £1,000, but will it go for that? At the same time, even if unboxed ones are worth £800+ and boxed £1,500+, I still think that it's not near the top end of the spiralling trend.

When boxed ones start going for £3,000 then I think that they've hit that point, and it may well be that as the current 'new collectors' start to finish off their collections, then maybe we'll see certain hardware taking off in price.

Feel free to correct me, because I don't really track the market too much.

Bar81

Dude, the only one that was working boxed sold for $2.5K. A slightly fucked up unit (scratches all over the screen and damage to the plastic) with no box and replacement PS sold for $750.

Ah fair enough.

I just tested my unit this evening to make sure it still works.

It works fine, except I just found out my copy of PC Genjin 2 has gone off, as I get garbled graphics. Tried cleaning the contacts and tried it on my Duo to no avail.

I had the Hucard loose in the box with my LT, I guess either the HuCard just went off, or perhaps static got to it or something.

Changing topic slightly, does anyone know where to get replacement HuCard sleeve in Europe?

- I have some games where the original sleeves are starting to go sticky and I understand that someone makes new replacements. Thing is, the only seller I have seen is US based.

piggychan

Ah fair enough.

Changing topic slightly, does anyone know where to get replacement HuCard sleeve in Europe?

- I have some games where the original sleeves are starting to go sticky and I understand that someone makes new replacements. Thing is, the only seller I have seen is US based.

the cabbage guy?

hmmm I haven't tried any of these but you wanna be guinnea pig ?

amazon may have some more but these caught my eye
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004R75OF8/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ANUPL2/

piggychan

Different vegetable. ;-)

http://seymoronion.com/

sorry mind was somewhere else >_<

giphy.gif

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Technically, but it's the worst looking solution.

IMO:

Briefcase with whitey
Duo
Duo R/RX
Briefcase with grey
Anything with a CDRom 2

Yeah i agree it looks like a mess, but this unit comes with a ton of stuff for the price, and I dont own a PC Engine anything:

1x PC Engine Core Grafx unit - Internal Jailbar fix for best image.
1x CD-ROM² unit - professionally recapped / serviced.
1x IFU-30 "Briefcase" unit - RGB modded with Scart-out for best possible on-screen picture quality.
1x Everdrive unit with 3D printed shell.
1x Super System Card Ver. 3.0 -
2x Avenue Pad 3 Controllers
1x X-HE2 2-player adaptor

The price is a bit steep thought, at 350 euros. What do you think?

piggychan

Yeah i agree it looks like a mess, but this unit comes with a ton of stuff for the price, and I dont own a PC Engine anything:

1x PC Engine Core Grafx unit - Internal Jailbar fix for best image.
1x CD-ROM² unit - professionally recapped / serviced.
1x IFU-30 "Briefcase" unit - RGB modded with Scart-out for best possible on-screen picture quality.
1x Everdrive unit with 3D printed shell.
1x Super System Card Ver. 3.0 -
2x Avenue Pad 3 Controllers
1x X-HE2 2-player adaptor

The price is a bit steep thought, at 350 euros. What do you think?

if it works and comes with cables and all..

just-do-it-hed-2013.jpg

Are there any good alternative controllers available for the PC Engine, or maybe converters (MD/Saturn/SNES etc.)? I'm not liking the original one that I got with the system due to the D-Pad, for precise directions it's mushy and for circle motions it's uncomfortable.

Are there any good alternative controllers available for the PC Engine, or maybe converters (MD/Saturn/SNES etc.)? I'm not liking the original one that I got with the system due to the D-Pad, for precise directions it's mushy and for circle motions it's uncomfortable.

The HORI Fighting Commander is really nice. It feels just like a SNES controller with a 6-button config. Not exactly cheap but I'm not aware of any PCE controllers that are.

TeaJay

I already talked about this over instagram, but Ninja Ryukenden PC Engine port seems like a really strange experience. I'm so conditioned to the NES/Famicom game that playing this game with the same structure but different music and graphics feels weird. It's definitely a good port though, gave me the same kind of frustration as the originals did.

AmyS

Neat artist representation of the then yet-to- be-named 'TurboGrafx Portable' in the April 1990 issue of VG&CE. A working prototype was shown at Winter CES.

eA4NS8t.jpg

AmyS

Video Games & Computer Entertainment reviews for Ys Books I & II plus Ys III: Wonderers From Ys.

Victor Ireland did their Ys III review!

EqB0Hvv.jpg

h6tZCvl.jpg

Ol5DkZr.jpg

JDT7CNF.jpg

TeaJay

Got myself a Hori fighting commander. The d-pad is a lot better than the original PCE controllers, but I wish the buttons would be a bit tighter. I wonder if there's a rubber replacement kit for the PCE since there are several for NES, SNES or the Megadrive?

IrishNinja

oh man, i had that issue of VG&CE, i wanna say...or read it somewhere. was so jelly cause i couldn't find Ys for SMS anywhere either

piggychan

So guys, i just got myself this beauty:

BTW I think you might have purchased the right model ie core grafx 1. Apparently it along with the supergrafx and shuttle have a different sound chip to the original white model and Core grafx II according to people on other forums.

As someone who use to record game music onto tape and go out in public listening to game music on their walkman.....
Right now I'm going through this nerd phase which keeps repeating from time to time of recording and listening to "chip" music especially pc engine games that use sampled drums and, maybe I'm getting older but I swear from my recordings the music sounds better on the Core G1 it feels more... tighter and has less pops in there.

Much of the music on the pc engine games you cannot really record the music very well unless there is a sound option or hidden code to unlock so my time is spent trying to forward to a stage that has a favorite music track I'm fond of and hope no enemies appear on screen and attack while recording, Plus my splicing and dicing of audio gets a bit too close when the music track jumps straight from one to the next.

I may also have fucked up a few vids where I increased volume of the original source recording as it was too quiet and now.....

F1 Triple Battle choice tracks

Incidentally if you listen to the first track of F1 Triple Battle, take a listen of the emulated version below of the first track of the music vid.

F1 Triple Battle music emulation

I don't know if it's already been posted but that genesis vs SNES sound thread there is a lot of links that have emulated sound and I can't help but wonder if it is inaccurate perhaps like that pce vid just above....

ah well anyway I think some of these games their music tracks are hidden gems.

21 emon Mezase hotel ou!!

NHK Taiga Drama Taiheiki

Soldier Blade

Fighting Run

Neat artist representation of the then yet-to- be-named 'TurboGrafx Portable' in the April 1990 issue of VG&CE. A working prototype was shown at Winter CES.

eA4NS8t.jpg

Thanks for those scans ^__^

Ashby

You know I've never considered a CD solution besides the Duo R or RX. The simplicity of having the System Cards built-in is compelling and I was under the impression it's a real crap shot finding CD units that are in good working order. Then again, I already have a RGB solution for my Coregrafx so maybe it would be cheaper to get a CD unit and System Cards then a RGB-modded Duo R or RX?

EDIT: Duh, nevermind. My RGB cable is through the expansion port so yeah, if you want RGB Duo R or RX is the way to go.

ACESmkII

Newbie here; how'd I do? :)

Been waiting to find a decent deal on a TG16 forever and I am so excited to add this console to my collection. This is my first time owning one!

Not a bad deal at all. Never played Legendary Axe II but the first is a lot of fun and Blazing Lazers/Gunhed is one of the Best Shooters on the system.

Cody_D165

Banned
Not a bad deal at all. Never played Legendary Axe II but the first is a lot of fun and Blazing Lazers/Gunhed is one of the Best Shooters on the system.

Blazing Lazers is definitely the game that convinced me I needed to hunt down a turbografx at some point. I got to try it at a convention last year and I've loved it ever since. Really happy to own a copy.

ACESmkII

Blazing Lazers is definitely the game that convinced me I needed to hunt down a turbografx at some point. I got to try it at a convention last year and I've loved it ever since. Really happy to own a copy.

That is only the beginning as the Turbo/PCE has some of the best shooters to grace that console generation.

Track down Super Star Soldier, R-Type, Air Zonk and Soldier Blade, which arguably is the best Hucard on the system and one of my all time favorite shooters.

Prepare your wallet because some of these are not cheap.

Apparently these are unreleased Tengen ports of pc engine games.

Peter Pack Rat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyP2lIdfjhQ

Popils
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsvmqVdh3Do

Off the wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9co_cYMJkRQ

Marble Madness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLdzPWKWBA

On one of the videos the youtube account holder comments:
"This video is from PC-Engine version of Off The Wall, which was never released for some reasons...
Yes, you are right. Manufacturing cost of 8M-bit HuCard was too high, and volume-type controller seemed to be mandatory for this game. So we gave up."
I just discovered these are up FOR SALE!!!

Magical Puzzle Popils has already been sold (not to me!)

http://www.savejapan.com/shop/

$6,800 a piece

But more than that there are pixel perfect screen grabs of each game, which could mean that the games have been dumped at the time of listing?

Top Bottom