• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

My humble PC Engine collection as of now:

NSUuAMK.jpg

Needs moar Konami-of-old love!

but I don't know much on their prices now...

azAqCEs.jpg

piggychan

Most of my Konami love is shown on Saturn actually. I was gonna get Gradius and Gradius II on PC engine, but I think I'm gonna be getting the Saturn Deluxe pack instead. Unless the PC Engine ones are better?

Neither the pc engine ports are arcade perfect as they have that resolution where the screen scrolls up and down like the r-type ports but they have stuff which makes them unique. Both 1 & 2 have extra an extra stage not featured in the arcade. If you are a completest the Gradius 2 game should come with a sticker sheet.

EDIT

Also regarding the first Gradius pc engine port despite having some slowdown and flicker it has that konami "synth" sound they developed for the pc engine which I think trumps the arcade. Even their Salamander port although initially I didn't like it as it felt a terrible port, the colors weren't correct lots of missing layered scrolling, the sampled speech was gone and the game play felt changed, but it's grown on me over the years and it's soundtrack the pc engine version is unique it's really something combined with the game play it gets your blood pumping! Ah yea expect some intense flashing the pc engine Salamander port.

Think I own the complete set...?

Not "completionist complete" though. I don't care for spine cards etc. My Akumajou copy does come with it. Also, just checked: Gradius II does have the sticker sheet (one sticker of the Gofer no Yabou logo, three of the Vic Viper from three different angles, and some icon thingy top right), but no spine card.

Beartruck

So I might be insane for doing this, but recently for fun, I've tried to do most of my Genesis and Turbo collecting ONLY through what I can find in person. Heres the most noticeable effects of it as far as my turbo collection goes:

It goes without saying, but I don't find many. Just this weekend I finally found Bonk's adventure, and it was only the 3rd turbo game I found this year. However, when I do find one, it is insanely exciting. I nearly lost it when I found a copy of Military Madness with manual and case at a con in April, and I was beaming ear to ear when I found Parasol Stars in November (Currently my favorite turbo game).

I'm also way more likely to beat the games I buy. My poor SNES collection is sitting on a 20 game backlog. On turbo, it sits at 2. I also go out of my comfort zone a lot more. I probably would've never tried Vigilante otherwise.

Overall, I don't know if I'll keep doing it, but its been a fun little experiment.

So I might be insane for doing this, but recently for fun, I've tried to do most of my Genesis and Turbo collecting ONLY through what I can find in person. Heres the most noticeable effects of it as far as my turbo collection goes:

It goes without saying, but I don't find many. Just this weekend I finally found Bonk's adventure, and it was only the 3rd turbo game I found this year. However, when I do find one, it is insanely exciting. I nearly lost it when I found a copy of Military Madness with manual and case at a con in April, and I was beaming ear to ear when I found Parasol Stars in November (Currently my favorite turbo game).

I'm also way more likely to beat the games I buy. My poor SNES collection is sitting on a 20 game backlog. On turbo, it sits at 2. I also go out of my comfort zone a lot more. I probably would've never tried Vigilante otherwise.

Overall, I don't know if I'll keep doing it, but its been a fun little experiment.

Interesting restriction but it's a great excuse to travel to classic game meetups!

I'll pay you €60,- ;)

Nah you probably won't sell it, but man, what a difference a few years makes...

Yeah, sorry, not selling. :) Only got one spare PC Engine game that I might part with, and it's one you already own.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy Rondo of Blood for €70ish (w/o shipping). Thought I'd get other, similar opportunities back then, so I didn't bite. Ended up paying considerably more for the copy I own now. (The €70 copy was w/o spine card though iirc.) Still a decent price however, especially considering today's apparent price standard for the game.

Also, I've been rather lucky with my (complete) copy of Coryoon apparently. What is paid for it nowadays is beyond insane: http://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/332270129548?item=332270129548&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565
Even loose carts have become extremely pricey.

There were other now pricey games that I could've gotten for good prices (e.g. Toilet Kids, PC Denjin, CD Denjin, Legend of Hero Tonma), but you can't just buy everything at once, right. I mean, I was following up the prices pretty closely, and there was very much a "now-or-never" feel to it back then, so I got as much as I could at the time. But in the end there's only so much you want to spend at a given time. Makai Prince Dorabocchan for example was like a $15 game CIB a couple of years back. Could/should've gotten it, but yeah... I'm just not paying the $50 people want for that game now.

To a certain extent, the PC Engine ship has sailed now for me. In 2014, even though not super cheap anymore, it was still doable. Now, it's sort of out of control. Not ruling out buying a couple more games here and there. But I think I already got a really good subset of its library, and I'm rather pleased with it overall.

Conezays

Well, just finished Rondo for the first time. Overall, I thought it was great. Not sure how I'd personally rank it among the original side-scrolling Castlevanias, but it's certainly very good. I appreciated quality of life aspects like a safe room before bosses where one can get health and items. After going through Castlevania 3 recently, this game seems a little easier, and arguably more fair (though I love CV3).

Guess it's time to explore other routes before diving into the Ys games.

eXistor

Well, just finished Rondo for the first time. Overall, I thought it was great. Not sure how I'd personally rank it among the original side-scrolling Castlevanias, but it's certainly very good. I appreciated quality of life aspects like a safe room before bosses where one can get health and items. After going through Castlevania 3 recently, this game seems a little easier, and arguably more fair (though I love CV3).

Guess it's time to explore other routes before diving into the Ys games.

I thought the game was great when I first played it, but the more I played the more I loved it. The game just oozes quality and is chock full of cool details that elevate the game to true greatness imo.

piggychan

Sorry, it can run PCE games of SD card? That sounds more important to me than the DVI output.

From that blog..

This is realized by loading the game image data of CD - ROM 2 by using a memory card instead of connecting with Rom Rom, so a substantial reduction in load time has been realized. Although its compatibility is not complete yet, it is planned to increase with continued updates in the future. These updates can be done by USB connection with PC

I'm guessing this is the memory card slot and USB connection
IMG_3876-300x225.jpg

Yeah that thing is crazy over priced. That's like 450 bucks, you could buy a framemeister and RGB cables for like 7 or 8 systems for that price. Game-Tech.US did a review of a pre-production model of that last year I think it was, though it didn't have the ability to load games off an SD Card then. Honestly that's the much bigger deal. If they could release a unit that just did that for say 100 bucks, that would be really awesome. Since this shows it can be done, maybe some one else will make a unit that does just that.

I've discovered another occasional problem with my Keith Courage modded Duo. Until I finally get around to an RGB display of some kind I am still using s-video with it. I already posted about the video sometimes turning black and white after the system is turned back on until the s-video cord is reinserted into the system, well a few nights ago I noticed else that has happened at least one other time. I was playing Kyukyouku Tiger and when I was done I powered off the system, turned the region switch back to U.S. and popped in my American Air Zonk Hucard and booted up the game. I let the game sit on the intro screens for about 5 minutes while I went to get a drink.

As I was walking back with my drink all of a sudden either the system or the audio made a quick "bzzzzt" noise and the game crashed and the screen quickly displayed a bunch of scrambled green, yellow and red lines and then the TV went completely black. I quickly turned off the system, carefully reinserted the Hucard several times and each time I would turn it back on it would just go to a large yellow screen. I removed the Hucard and turned on the power, the Super CD start menu displayed right away without a hitch. I powered off, reinserted the Hucard yet again, powered back on and it still went back to the blank yellow screen. So then I reinserted the AV in (which I'm obviously using for audio since I'm using s-video), powered on, boom. Hucard worked again and I played the game for about 20 min until I was ready to quit without issue. Is it possible something is wrong with my system's s-video mod and the regular AV side somehow occasionally cancelling each other out or something? I'm still very happy with my system but San thinking about contacting Keith Courage about this to see if there is something on the mod he might need to tweet. Has something like this ever happened to anyone here when using an s-video mod on a Duo? I have to say this kind of freaked me out and at first I thought my Air Zonk Hucard had been fried. Maybe it's unrelated but this sort of thing seems to mainly happen when changing between U.S. and Japanese Hucard regions or when I am turning system back on after putting in a different title (same for the intermittent black and white issue which if my memory is correct seems to also happen only if I am in between changing to a different game).

Sorry can't help you, I didn't do an S-Video mod or region mod to mine. I would second contacting Keith, he's good about that sort of thing.

did you take any pictures when it went funny? Give KC a message and see what he says.

Yeah, will definitely be taking pics next time.

Sorry can't help you, I didn't do an S-Video mod or region mod to mine. I would second contacting Keith, he's good about that sort of thing.

I'm planning on getting in touch with him at some point soon. I'm still very happy with the work he did and this isn't something that is frequent but it's happened enough times now that it's probably not simply a rare oddity that can be brushed off.

Beartruck

My quest to collect TG-16 In person continues! Found World class baseball and a japanese copy of shockman three weeks ago, and I hit a real score last weekend at a local gameshop. I saw on his website that he had a card of Dungeon explorer, and when I asked he mentioned that someone just traded in a card of Bonk's revenge also. So I've got a lot to play now!

Having spent a hour with World class baseball, its pretty mediocre. Hitting is surprisingly touchy, and fielding is a pain due to how the camera pans and how late it switches control to the outfielders. No real teams either! Honestly, its not a bad game, but it doesn't match my favorites on NES (RBI baseball 2 for real teams, Baseball Stars for fake).

I've also mentioned my feelings on Bonk's Revenge in skullomania's new thread. Better animation and smoother gameplay, but the way they nerfed the headbutt spin glide when you activate turbo is kind of dissapointing. Haven't had a chance to finish it yet as theres no password option ( >=| ), but when I have a day off i'll power through it. Really good overall.

piggychan

I love the music in the first Kaizō Chōjin shubibinman /Schbibinman. That for me is the only reason to keep it.

Good luck on the rest of your conquest!

I'm going to try and pick up a copy of this over the next few weeks.

issue 172 Retro gamer
RG_and_supp_covers-616x411.jpg

Beartruck

I love the music in the first Kaizō Chōjin shubibinman /Schbibinman. That for me is the only reason to keep it.

Good luck on the rest of your conquest!

I'm going to try and pick up a copy of this over the next few weeks.

issue 172 Retro gamer
RG_and_supp_covers-616x411.jpg
Its actually shubibinman 2, which Is Shockman 1 in the us for whatever reason. I was interested cause I saw some co-op megaman style gameplay.

Also, it figures that right when my subscription to retro expires they put the pc engine on the cover. -_-

Conezays

Barnes and Noble, but you'll be waiting a bit, they usually don't show up till like 4 - 6 weeks after the issue comes out. It's not consistent though, so I'd start checking in week 3.

Never read the magazine. Is it worth picking up? Good writing, content, etc.?

Where would be the best place to get that Retro Gamer in USA?

I always get Retro Gamer at Barnes and Noble. Very high quality magazine of course, only downside is the U.S. price is now up to $12.99 an issue so I buy it selectively depending on the article selections but I'm a B&N member so I use my 10% discount which shaves a little over a dollar off the price at least. Will definitely be picking up the PC Engine issue.

Speaking of price increases, really glad I snagged a sealed copy of Taito's Mizanbaku Adventure (aka Liquid Kids) back in 2005 for only about $50. Looking on ebay now and a mint, open copy is going for $357. Great little platformer and the PCE port is almost arcade perfect.

Speaking of price increases, really glad I snagged a sealed copy of Taito's Mizanbaku Adventure (aka Liquid Kids) back in 2005 for only about $50. Looking on ebay now and a mint, open copy is going for $357. Great little platformer and the PCE port is almost arcade perfect.

It's gone up fast, and mostly fairly recently. I got my copy in 2014 for around $70.

It's gone up fast, and mostly fairly recently. I got my copy in 2014 for around $70.

That's crazy. Your earlier post reminded me I need to get a copy of Soldier Blade before its price range gets even worse. Next target will be PCE Magical Chase before it inevitably gets into the 1K range someday. :/

And if you would have told younger me in the early '90s how much my TG-16 games like Air Zonk, Bonk 3 and Dynastic Hero would cost now my jaw would drop. Thank goodness I kept my collection all these years.

Never read the magazine. Is it worth picking up? Good writing, content, etc.?

Yeah it's probably the best gaming magazine out there right now IMHO. You can get a subscription but its about 100 bucks for a year to the US. I only subscribe when they have deals, other wise I just pick up issues I want at BN.

Ok, here are some before and after pictures of the video on my Duo temporarily going black and white which is one of the issues I mentioned in my earlier detailed post. I hadn't turned on my Duo all weekend until now. Popped in Super Star Soldier and video was black and white. I reinserted the s-video cord (this time into the back of the TV instead of the system) and then it went back to color (2nd pic is then from the game's attract mode which started running during the 20-30 seconds I was messing with the s-video cord) and didn't have to reset the system this time. Starting to wonder if maybe it's just a defective s-video cord, but the one I have I bought sealed off eBay and was RCA brand cord from early 2000s. Either way will be contacting Keith Courage about this soon.

tV4NmCV.jpg

MtERtA1.jpg

Top Bottom