• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

I'd like to state that I have already retweeted the message. I'm supporting this and hope this leads to something...well along with my efforts of trying to get (interest in) Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Yakuza 5 localized. If you need further help, I'd be happy to participate and lend a hand.

Something tells me from a technical standpoint Valkyria Chronicles would be the hardest one to port and would probably require the most involvement from its original developers.

Bayo and Vanquish have at least been on 360, and with Metal Gear rising, that engine has now been ported to PC. VC on the other hand has only been on PS3.

Damn, you do have a point there, though I'd really love to have VC on my PC...it's the Saturn all over again!
Finish Dengeki Bunko and get on this VC team (along with localizing VC3!)

Momentary

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Sega actually has Bayo, Vanq, and VF5 already lined up for release and are just waiting for the right time... I like to dream sometimes.

Grief.exe

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega actually has Bayo, Vanq, and VF5 already lined up for release and are just waiting for the right time... I like to dream sometimes.

Would make me happy to see all of those. At the very least, we know that VF5 would have a place on PC now with the fighting game renascence that has taken place.

Miguel81

I wouldn't even say I"dislike" it, I was just completely unimpressed by it.
For a start, technically is modest to put it mildly, and if gameplay-wise had any feature that made it stand out I obviously failed to notice it, because it felt like a cheap "my first racing game" from some barely competent indie developer.

It's just a breezy, colorful game with great tunes. The game is simple fun and some people love it(I do).

TaroYamada

Sega needs to beat Namco to the punch and be the first 3D fighting game series on Steam.

They could do this as easily as re-releasing VF2's PC port on Steam before starting up work on VF5's PC port, I used to harass SEGA's twitter nearly weekly to re-release their older PC ports on Steam. I have no fucking idea why they won't, it infuriates me to no end, I even have Last Bronx and Typing of the Dead on CD-ROM and they run absolutely fine in Windows 7 64 bit (I've not tested them on my Win8 installation).

gnomed

They could do this as easily as re-releasing VF2's PC port on Steam before starting up work on VF5's PC port, I used to harass SEGA's twitter nearly weekly to re-release their older PC ports on Steam. I have no fucking idea why they won't, it infuriates me to no end, I even have Last Bronx and Typing of the Dead on CD-ROM and they run absolutely fine in Windows 7 64 bit (I've not tested them on my Win8 installation).

Do this plz! Need more VF players. I vaguely remember playing Last Bronx in arcades.

TaroYamada

Do this plz! Need more VF players. I vaguely remember playing Last Bronx in arcades.

Pretty much, I've no idea why they are ignoring the wide open monopoly for 3D fighters on PC when 2D fighters have been doing well in the space as of late. Idiotic business decisions out of Sega of Japan? Impossible.

Typing of the Dead should be a no-brainer, especially with the new one out. In fact, it probably should have launched with a deluxe edition containing the new and old ToTD games. :O

Especially since it's way better than the new game, if this thread wants to demand something it oughta demand SEGA return my keyboard and battery powered Dreamcast. Plus the game just doesn't feel as well done as the original imo.

Nope. They have no code from the game so it would have to be emulation or from scratch.

I've thought about this; it's the perfect job for some small eastern european studio but definitely a more demanding project.

Zinthar

I would buy a PC port of Bayonetta in a heartbeat, but do we know for sure that Sega still retains the rights to publish that for PC without being impeded? I know that Sega is still the "franchise owner", but it's possible that their contract with Nintendo for Bayonetta 2 prevents them from publishing any Bayonetta title on additional platforms.

I would buy a PC port of Bayonetta in a heartbeat, but do we know for sure that Sega still retains the rights to publish that for PC without being impeded? I know that Sega is still the "franchise owner", but it's possible that their contract with Nintendo for Bayonetta 2 prevents them from publishing any Bayonetta title on additional platforms.

That's okay. Give us Vanquish in the meantime!

Grief.exe

Sega only made a deal for the subsequent entry, the original game is still under their rights. They did publish the game on PSN well after the Nintendo deal.

The credits for The Wonderful 101 mention that Sega owns the rights to Bayonetta (because several characters from Bayonetta are unlockable).

wazoo

Sega is the most convinced of digital future among the japanese devs. Still, i expect them to be slow on port releases

for lot of games they do not have the code anymore due to the nature of japanese development ('let us redo from scratch everything again and again") and they also want to maximize the port that they can do and currently they are at the dreamcast period

nick380

Neo Member
I think you just blew my mind...now that I think about it I have noticed some games suffering and not having PC versions. Damn...if Vanquish came to Steam I would impulse buy just for the action and awesome quality/performance on my rig, although shitty porting could kill this dream quick.
True. But also not very relevant. Why?

-->

The vast majority of AAAA..AA games from big Western publishers already have PC ports. And more often than not they are released the same day as the console versions. Despite not necessarily bringing $$$$$$$$$$$ western publishers can afford them and appreciate them.

On the other hand we are mostly talking in this thread about Japanese games that are already a bit of a niche, eg Bayonetta. Or Resonance of Fate, it wasn't exactly a success. http://segabits.com/blog/2010/04/16/npd-both-resonance-of-fate-yakuza-3-fail-to-chart/

These games can sell quite a bit over the years on Steam.

Ironically, you see, the games that depend the least on having a PC version, already do!
And the games that it would help the most to have a PC version, they don't!

Madness!

Animator

Make it so!

vanquish7ae4x.jpg

Damn you man. I went to steam so fast thinking it is out or something. :(

BONKERS

Lets get this started! This twitter account is official and responds to users.

@SEGA Release [Insert games you want here] on PC! #SegaPCPorts

0aHwqQL.png

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/416998167909900289

I cannot find a reason for any of these titles to not be on the platform.

Bayonetta - There is a dearth of character action games available right now and Rising, a Platinum game in a similar vein to Bayonetta, was the top seller for 48 hours during the Steam sale on its debut.
Vanquish - 120 FPS, do I need say more?
Valkyria Chronicles - Strategy RPGs are the platform's bread and butter
Resonance of Fate - The FFVII and FFVIII releases on Steam have sold quite well despite not being the best of ports and so late. The battle system for this game seems well-suited for higher frame rates.

Feel free to request other Sega games as well, there are plenty of contenders so pick your favorites!

Yakuza series
Shenmue 1/2
JSRF
Skies of Arcadia
Otogi 1/2
Panzer Dragoon Orta

yes.jpg

Isn't that the versions that are essentially running on emulators?

Yes. The ones on steam are just Sega Genesis roms running on an emulator.

Man, I would get SUCH a hard on from being able to play games like Vanquish,Bayonetta or RoF at high resolution with completely stable framerate and good AA.

/Hnnnrrrr I came

Gothos

I would do truly unholy things to have Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate and Vanquish on PC. Shame it will never happen but good luck to us all, anyway :p

Grief.exe

So did the Sega twitter ever reply to any of this?

Nope.

I would do truly unholy things to have Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate and Vanquish on PC. Shame it will never happen but good luck to us all, anyway :p

Bayo or Vanquish seems like a strong possiblity coming off the success of MGR and Platinum's experience with PC ports.

VC would be the most successful of the 3, but probably won't happen do to the niche nature of the game and the difficulty porting from the PS3.

BONKERS

VC also wouldn't happen because Sega is dumb and doesn't want money. If they were smart they would've made VC2 on the PS3. But instead they catered to the Japanese market where the PSP sells simply due to Monster Hunter and completely screwed the western market because Piracy was rampant and hardly anyone actually bought games.

But I DO hope more Plat games come to PC. I pre-ordered MGR:R ASAP as it was available... on gamefly for 17$! Hurr

Hah, I had no idea it was ever rumored. Definitely would be a great fit on PC.
I'm sad that Catherine never came to the PC. I had heard about it and had been excited. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the game Catherine, I would much rather have it for the PC than consoles. And the idea of having Atlus games on the PC made me very excited.

I wonder what happened. Whether it was a false rumor and there were simply no plans at all to put Catherine on the PC. Or that something changed the minds of people at Atlus and they decided later against porting the game to the PC.

Grief.exe

Is there only one Sega account to tweet? Would be more effective if we had multiple targets.

I'm going to restart the campaign on the 1st or the 2nd, whenever people get back to work. I have a couple of community manager accounts that I will tweet, but I don't want to spam them.

The Sega community manager that got back to me said to tweet the @Sega account, the Platinum community manager echoed the same advice.

I'm going to restart the campaign on the 1st or the 2nd, whenever people get back to work. I have a couple of community manager accounts that I will tweet, but I don't want to spam them.

The Sega community manager that got back to me said to tweet the @Sega account, the Platinum community manager echoed the same advice.

Let me know when you are going to get things moving again.

TaroYamada

I'll be there when you need me.

Well could always hit up their facebook

This isn't a bad idea either, we should consider this.

Nope.

Bayo or Vanquish seems like a strong possiblity coming off the success of MGR and Platinum's experience with PC ports.

VC would be the most successful of the 3, but probably won't happen do to the niche nature of the game and the difficulty porting from the PS3.

Ehh, I think Vanquish would be. Shooters are PCs strong spot out of those three genres, I don't think a Japanese SRPG would do as well as a TPS from the creator of Resident Evil, even on PC.

Nillansan

Ah I just saw the response from the community manager, it was slightly less encouraging than I expected, but at least we know where to direct the Twitter campaign.

Draikin 2

Keep in mind there's a #SaveShenmue Twitter campaign planned for the 3rd of January, and with Sega's own Twitter account focusing on the upcoming Ryo DLC for S&SASRT, I'm not sure if trying to restart the campaign now is such a good idea. Perhaps it would be better to start it on the weekend?

I think it would also help to take some time to explore other options outside of Twitter. Facebook is definitely worth considering, remember that Sega already used it for their own Project Diva F campaign. For what it's worth, Segalization is my website, and while it's not grabbing people's attention as much as I hoped it would, I'd be willing to use it to help this campaign. Bayonetta and VC are my favorite last-gen games after all. And more importantly, getting Valkyria Chronicles on PC is something that could revive the entire franchise. Sega made a number of bad decisions with VC 2, 3 and Valkyria Chronicles Duel and I don't think they understand that the audience for the original game is still very much there.

Also, don't expect a reply from Sega. They rarely, if ever, react to fan campaigns like this. That doesn't mean it's useless to try, just don't go into this thinking you'll get a favorable reaction anytime soon. Just ask Shenmue fans. You'll sooner get a response from the third party studios behind some of their games, like Sumo Digital and Platinum Games, than out of Sega themselves. I'm not sure why, but I hope to see that change.

Grief.exe

Keep in mind there's a #SaveShenmue Twitter campaign planned for the 3rd of January, and with Sega's own Twitter account focusing on the upcoming Ryo DLC for S&SASRT, I'm not sure if trying to restart the campaign now is such a good idea. Perhaps it would be better to start it on the weekend?

I think it would also help to take some time to explore other options outside of Twitter. Facebook is definitely worth considering, remember that Sega already used it for their own Project Diva F campaign. For what it's worth, Segalization is my website, and while it's not grabbing people's attention as much as I hoped it would, I'd be willing to use it to help this campaign. Bayonetta and VC are my favorite last-gen games after all. And more importantly, getting Valkyria Chronicles on PC is something that could revive the entire franchise. Sega made a number of bad decisions with VC 2, 3 and Valkyria Chronicles Duel and I don't think they understand that the audience for the original game is still very much there.

Also, don't expect a reply from Sega. They rarely, if ever, react to fan campaigns like this. That doesn't mean it's useless to try, just don't go into this thinking you'll get a favorable reaction anytime soon. Just ask Shenmue fans. You'll sooner get a response from the third party studios behind some of their games, like Sumo Digital and Platinum Games, than out of Sega themselves. I'm not sure why, but I hope to see that change.

Sounds like a good idea to wait a bit for the Shenmue campaign to blow over. Excited to get this started up again.

Too bad VC isn't done by a 3rd party developer, we good start hitting them up on Twitter for some information.

Draikin 2

Sounds like a good idea to wait a bit for the Shenmue campaign to blow over. Excited to get this started up again.

Too bad VC isn't done by a 3rd party developer, we good start hitting them up on Twitter for some information.
It would have helped. If it hadn't been for Sumo Digital for example then the whole Ryo DLC thing (even if Sega is handling that rather poorly now) wouldn't even have happened. They were the ones talking to the fans and encouraging them to make the petition, not Sega.

Concerning the campaign: the setup I have now for Segalization is a Wordpress website that is linked to a Facebook/Twitter account, a change.org petition and a separate forum. Unfortunately all that doesn't do much good when you can't generate attention for the campaign itself, which is the main problem I'm having now. In that sense you've already done a lot better here (of course it also helps not this thread wasn't removed). I'm not sure if you have any plans outside of using Twitter, but you could quite easily create a Facebook page and ask people to like it to show support. You can use it to post updates there, and the likes for your page are essentially the same as signatures on a petition. You can also link it to a Twitter account so that updates are duplicated there as well.

For reference, here's Sega's own Project Diva F campaign they started on Facebook last year:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...33608051795.134727.28248536795&type=1&theater

Also interesting of note: it's the day of the Steam sales and they brought back all the top selling deals. Sega's Company of Heroes 2, Total War Rome 2 and Football Manager 2014 are all there. XCOM is also there, and from what I've seen that's not too far from the gameplay we find in Valkyria Chronicles. I think that game really has its place on Steam.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nothing new going on?

Also some games might benefit of being done by 3rd parties not from Sega. Platinum Games and tri-Ace we could try to reach up to them to see if the companies push a bit on Sega.

tri-Ace doesnt seem to be doing much today so porting Resonance of Fate shouldn't be much of an issue for example. Platinum Games had Bayonetta running on PC which obviously not final but they have a something to work with there and Vanquish if they didnt had anything done they could work on it after porting Bayo.

Videoneon

Sega owns the properties that other studios developed for them IIRC. Or at least, I'm sure that's the case with Platinum Games and tri-Ace.

Platinum Games, I don't know if the relationship is soured what with how Bayo 2 went down and I don't know if Sega's moneybag commanders were dissatisfied enough to keep ties frosty in the near future.

tri-Ace is working on Phantasy Star Nova. Quite a big undertaking.

In any case, tri-Ace and Platinum at least don't have to be contacted for legal reasons..

Top Bottom