• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

Spaghetti

not exactly sure about the precedent that a game going on sale in steam means its flopped, all considering games in the steam sales have solid 100k+ units in 48 hours/made the entire revenue thus far on the title during the sale duration, etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just release Ryo on Sonic Transformed already and fucking stop. I don't want your 4th string franchise DLC characters anymore. Much less youtube stars with annoying soundbites of them screaming for 10 seconds in my game.

The PC characters were free and the Yogscast DLC was for charity.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
There seems to be quite a bit of misunderstanding about the port begging rule. As I understand it:

Do: make thread like these discussing how x and y would be a good fit for platform z, or discuss things like this in an appropriate context (like sales thread).

Don't: Go into a thread about the announcement of or discussion about a game on a particular platform/s and write "no sony no buy" etc

Neiteio

Guys... Please, please, PLEASE add Anarchy Reigns to the petition. That game would absolutely sparkle on PC. Especially if they add a training room to the multiplayer lobby, so you can practice while you wait for players to log on. Man, just thinking about that game at a higher framerate with better netcode makes me salivate!

It's best to start with games that are already popular and there are people already looking to double dip. I don't think AR is as popular as Bayo or Vanquish. Anecdotally I also don't think many PC only people have heard of it (while they most likely have heard of Bayo, and they most definitely had heard of MGR, due to the popularity of the MG brand).

I mean it's best the games we suggest and they go ahead and port to be big successes... And then they can feel more confident and take risks as well.

One last one: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/darksiders/credits

Darksiders "core" PC porting team was 1 lead + 3 programmers.

3 designers, 2 additional programmers, 2 UI artists and 2 QA testers make the rest of the team.

But of course for example the UI artists (making the updated menu for the PC version and new button icons) wouldn't work full time on it for months, like the programmers.

From what I can see the core programming team of PC ports is ~5 people and another ~5-10 people do supplementary tasks (eg new menu, etc).

Update!!

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE PC porting team:

Director: Kenji Saito
Producer: Masami Narita

Lead Programmer: Hiroshi Takahashi
Programmers: Yuji Hagiyama, Naofumi Ueno ALVION Inc.

UI Artists: Hisayoshi Kijima, Erika Kuga

Graphics Programmers: Ryouichi Takahashi

Translator: Andrew Brasher

Special Thanks: 7 peeps, but they shouldn't matter.

So basically the core porting team was: 1 lead programmer + 2 programmers + 1 graphics programmer = 4 people.

That's like, nothing and the end result is pretty good. Bring on Bayo.

DieH@rd

Banned
Update!!

So basically the core porting team was: 1 lead programmer + 2 programmers + 1 graphics programmer = 4 people.

That is not strange IMO, because they already showed that they had PC version up and running before MGR was released on consoles. This small team was most likely tasked to bring the game up to the level of modern gaming [expose graphical options], add keyboard support, add all Steam stuff, and compile all the international versions.

Shaneus

How big was the team that ported HotD:O to PC? Because that's probably closer to what we could expect with Bayo/Vanq than anything else.

Zarx

How big was the team that ported HotD:O to PC? Because that's probably closer to what we could expect with Bayo/Vanq than anything else.

10 people
]
But that was a lot more work than just a port, they added the full typing of the dead mode. And they did it in just 4 months.

And surely given that Bayonetta and vanquish are running on the same engine as Revengeance, the port will be the same or less work than Revengeance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Update!!

I wonder if Konami had originally intended to have a larger team on the project but ultimately opted for the cheaper approach to minimise potential losses. It'd certainly explain why "soon" eventually became seven months.

I wonder if Konami had originally intended to have a larger team on the project but ultimately opted for the cheaper approach to minimise potential losses. It'd certainly explain why "soon" eventually became seven months.

When we're talking about a title that had a 4-year gap from announcement to release and went through obvious Development Hell, 7 months might as well be "Soon.", even if it feels like Valve Time "Soon."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When we're talking about a title that had a 4-year gap from announcement to release and went through obvious Development Hell, 7 months might as well be "Soon.", even if it feels like Valve Time "Soon."

Speaking of:

Valve Time (1): Two months (TF2's Engineer update)
Konami Time: Seven months (MGR PC's release date)
Valve Time (2): Nine years (TF2's release date)

Better luck next time, Konami! :p

Grief.exe

It's best to start with games that are already popular and there are people already looking to double dip. I don't think AR is as popular as Bayo or Vanquish. Anecdotally I also don't think many PC only people have heard of it (while they most likely have heard of Bayo, and they most definitely had heard of MGR, due to the popularity of the MG brand).

I mean it's best the games we suggest and they go ahead and port to be big successes... And then they can feel more confident and take risks as well.

Excellent point as always, Angular.

You have to take into account the viability of a potential port from a publisher stand point. What would be the most successful? What port would have the easiest path?

Vanquish and Bayo fit those requirements perfectly. The demand is there, they fit the demographic, and Platinum has the experience.

Valkyria Chronicles would be quite successful on the platform, but the path to the PC would be more difficult.

Update!!

Director: Kenji Saito
Producer: Masami Narita

Lead Programmer: Hiroshi Takahashi
Programmers: Yuji Hagiyama, Naofumi Ueno ALVION Inc.

UI Artists: Hisayoshi Kijima, Erika Kuga

Graphics Programmers: Ryouichi Takahashi

Translator: Andrew Brasher

Special Thanks: 7 peeps, but they shouldn't matter.

These publishers are making incredible margins off of the PC versions. No wonder these Japanese companies are starting to go all in.

TaroYamada

Excellent point as always, Angular.

You have to take into account the viability of a potential port from a publisher stand point. What would be the most successful? What port would have the easiest path?

Vanquish and Bayo fit those requirements perfectly. The demand is there, they fit the demographic, and Platinum has the experience.

Valkyria Chronicles would be quite successful on the platform, but the path to the PC would be more difficult.

These publishers are making incredible margins off of the PC versions. No wonder these Japanese companies are starting to go all in.

Does this mean VF5 is officially not included in the petition despite the fact the arcade version already runs on embedded windows and the PC has more than proven its ability to support the fighting game genre? We lack a 3D fighter and are in desperate need of one, it's only fitting that the originator and kingpin of the genre, Virtua Fighter, find its way to our platform.

If true the petition isn't even really demanding PC ports of SEGA games and is instead demanding PC ports of Platinum games that SEGA happens to own the rights to.

Nillansan

How we doing on that petition? :p

iPusnTuD6ccZ9.jpg

These things, they take time.

Grief.exe

How we doing on that petition? :p

iPusnTuD6ccZ9.jpg

These things, they take time.

Thanks for staying patient guys, I've had a busy couple of weeks but I should be able to put something up soon for review.

I would also like to hear an official statement by Konami on the success of MGR before we move forward.

Does this mean VF5 is officially not included in the petition despite the fact the arcade version already runs on embedded windows and the PC has more than proven its ability to support the fighting game genre? We lack a 3D fighter and are in desperate need of one, it's only fitting that the originator and kingpin of the genre, Virtua Fighter, find its way to our platform.

I would be open to hearing arguments on this point.
Despite the arcade version working on Windows, there is still a long road to travel before an actual consumer product.
The Platinum engine was developed on PCs and was running on Windows as well. The huge difference is Platinum has the experience and is willing to make the ports.

Other than some deveolper statements, its hard to place tangible evidence on fighting games success on the platform. Yes they have been profitable, but not extraordinarily so like MGR has been. MGR launched in the top 15 games on Steam, the fighting games have never been near the top 100.

I will probably include Valkyria Chronicles simply due the the incredible popularity of the tirn-based strategy games on PC. Civilization V is always among the top games on Steam, Xcom has been in and out of the top 10 concurrent players for a long time, and Wasteland 2's Kickstarter has been one of the most successful ever.
VC would have an unproven porting process as well, but at least it would be guaranteed to make immense profits.

That is what we are looking for here. Games that would be the most attractive investment for a publisher. The smaller games can come later, we need to put our best foot forward.

If true the petition isn't even really demanding PC ports of SEGA games and is instead demanding PC ports of Platinum games that SEGA happens to own the rights to.

I fail to see a relevant difference.

Either way, the games are controlled by Sega. The fact that Bayonetta and Vanquish would be quite successful and a clear line to the port is why they are included, Platinum is just the intermediary.

Nillansan

Thanks for staying patient guys, I've had a busy couple of weeks but I should be able to put something up soon for review.

Grief, please take your time, if you need any input you know where to find me.

I would also like to hear an official statement by Konami on the success of MGR before we move forward.

I hope that we will get a statement soon. This is what ToraShiro has said on the matter so far.

I can tell if sells are looking good, ok, or bad. But I can't publicly remark on it without violating certain company policies, sourry. If it does really well, look forward to our carefully crafted PR release to be footnoted on press sites everywhere.

TaroYamada

I would be open to hearing arguments on this point.
Despite the arcade version working on Windows, there is still a long road to travel before an actual consumer product.
The Platinum engine was developed on PCs and was running on Windows as well. The huge difference is Platinum has the experience and is willing to make the ports.

Other than some deveolper statements, its hard to place tangible evidence on fighting games success on the platform. Yes they have been profitable, but not extraordinarily so like MGR has been. MGR launched in the top 15 games on Steam, the fighting games have never been near the top 100.

I will probably include Valkyria Chronicles simply due the the incredible popularity of the tirn-based strategy games on PC. Civilization V is always among the top games on Steam, Xcom has been in and out of the top 10 concurrent players for a long time, and Wasteland 2's Kickstarter has been one of the most successful ever.
VC would have an unproven porting process as well, but at least it would be guaranteed to make immense profits.

That is what we are looking for here. Games that would be the most attractive investment for a publisher. The smaller games can come later, we need to put our best foot forward.

It's still much closer than Valkyria Chronicles, arcade games designed for windows embedded have run on desktop windows before, as mentioned previously in this thread (KoF/BlazBlue both being mentioned, were cracked and their arcade versions made playable on desktops before their respective ports). Also, I assume you mean top 100 concurrent players? Because fighting games have absolutely made the top sellers on Steam, Skullgirls, SF x Tekken (unfortunately), Ultimate Ninja Storm, KoF13, etc.

Top 100 concurrent is harder, SSF4 has 700 concurrent players according to Steamcharts but you must consider it's a GfWL title, I for example don't have it on Steam. I purchased it on Amazon and as such when I, and many others play, it is not counted.

Point is you acknowledge the ports make money, we also acknowledge that given it's already on a Windows embedded distro that porting will be an easier process not unlike KoF13's. It's a safe bet.

Lime

Grief.exe, please make sure that the petition is multi-choice. Just let voters select or prioritize which games they want a PC version of. As I see it, we won't get a lot of shots at this, so limiting the scope of the petition on only one single game will not be prudent.

denx

Grief.exe, please make sure that the petition is multi-choice. Just let voters select or prioritize which games they want a PC version of. As I see it, we won't get a lot of shots at this, so limiting the scope of the petition on only one single game will not be prudent.

Actually I think limiting the initial selection to just a handful of games is the way to go. Sega won't go all-in porting dozens of games if they can't assess first the potential audience they have in Steam to sell these games. Focusing in just a couple of games is a good way to start this campaign. If this initial selection of games sells well, then we can start nagging Sega about porting other games on their library.

Like Grief said, Bayonetta and Vanquish seem to be the obvious choices here: Sega has been supporting the PC platform very well for the last couple of years, MGR has sold well and Platinum already has experience working on PC. They seem like the most obvious candidates to be at the forefront of this campaign.

Peff

Yeah, I'm not so sure something like a poll is a good idea, if anything it would only hurt the smaller franchises by proving there is indeed not much interest, while Bayonetta and Vanquish are bound to win regardless because of the recent release of MGR. Valkyria Chronicles may be harder to port, but it'd likely become an evergreen title and it might even revive the franchise altogether.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I think doing a petition which states specifically Bayonetta and Vanquish is the way to go. Mostly because it seems that MGR is very successful and those 2 would be relatively easy to bring to PC, especially with Platinums newfound experience on bringing a game to the PC platform. I would agree with Valkyria Chronicles being popular on PC but I think it's a bad idea to mention it for now. It seems like something that would be harder to bring over to the platform/take more effort and you want a path of least resistance/cheaper budget for now at least to show interest. Plus it keeps it simple.

Draikin 2

I would agree with Valkyria Chronicles being popular on PC but I think it's a bad idea to mention it for now. It seems like something that would be harder to bring over to the platform/take more effort and you want a path of least resistance/cheaper budget for now at least to show interest. Plus it keeps it simple.
I could give you just as many reasons to remove Vanquish instead and go with just Bayonetta and Valkyria Chronicles. They have less overlap, got better reviews and both sold better than Vanquish. But I don't think removing any of the three, or adding more, is really a good idea at this point.

antitrop

I could give you just as many reasons to remove Vanquish instead and go with just Bayonetta and Valkyria Chronicles. They have less overlap, got better reviews and both sold better than Vanquish. But I don't think removing any of the three, or adding more, is really a good idea at this point.

Vanquish would benefit from a PC port far more than VC, due to it being a high-speed action game that is locked down to a pathetic 30fps on consoles.

WhyNotBoth.gif

Like I said before, fragmenting the fanbases could only only serve to harm this due to the diversity of Sega' publishing portfolio. We ought to go with the trio of Bayo, VC, and Vanquish and leave it at that. It's not a complete obnoxious demand for Sega to go around porting everything, but it's wide enough to represent a degree of diversity. Granted, we could cut out Vanquish from the equation and put RoF in its stead, but I think that's straw graspy even next to VC, considering it's even less of an established IP than the others.

epmode

Sonic is the top seller on Steam. Higher than DayZ and Rust! Even though it was released on Steam ~3 years ago and it's not currently on sale.

Money talks.

Zarx

Maybe we should limit it too one Platinum game at first asking for two games from a studio that apparently doesn't want outside studios to port their games doesn't make a tonne of sense IMO. We should focus on one of them and I vote for Vanquish, the Bayonetta franchise is in a strange place with the squeal being a Nintendo exclusive and is older.

And Valkyria Chronicles is my most wanted game from Sega's catalog. So that Vanquish and then one other game would be a good idea IMO.

Sentenza

Not to be the party pooper but I'm getting the feeling you guys are a bit over-thinking this thing.
It was nice to watch it as a spontaneous "movement" suddenly emerging from Twitter, but now you are probably over-planning something that may even not gain any traction.

TaroYamada

Maybe we should limit it too one Platinum game at first asking for two games from a studio that apparently doesn't want outside studios to port their games doesn't make a tonne of sense IMO. We should focus on one of them and I vote for Vanquish, the Bayonetta franchise is in a strange place with the squeal being a Nintendo exclusive and is older.

And Valkyria Chronicles is my most wanted game from Sega's catalog. So that Vanquish and then one other game would be a good idea IMO.

This actually isn't a bad idea either, Bayonetta 2 is stuck on Wii U no matter what. Vanquish, Valkyria Chronicles and VF5 I could get behind. Then Bayonetta would sort of naturally come I believe under that specific scenario.

Not to be the party pooper but I'm getting the feeling you guys are a bit over-thinking this thing.
It was nice to watch it as a spontaneous "movement" suddenly emerging from Twitter, but now you are probably over-planning something that may even not gain any traction.

We've lost most of our steam for sure, twitter mentions trailed off after a couple days but whatever. May as well make one last push with what is left in the gas tank.

Grief.exe

We can only try out best and hope for a positive outcome.

We already know the Twitter campaign had an effect, this is just the next step to show demand.

Redhood

If Sega finds the sales of MGS a success then we surely can expect Bayonetta and Vanquish. Lets not forget MGR was made on the same engine as bayo and vanquish. The engine which PG has already ported to PC now with decent PC options and performance. It won't cost the same this time. They can piggyback on this if they want.

If Sega finds the sales of MGS a success then we surely can expect Bayonetta and Vanquish. Lets not forget MGR was made on the same engine as bayo and vanquish. The engine which PG has already ported to PC now with decent PC options and performance. It won't cost the same this time. They can piggyback on this if they want.

Honestly? That's great news if it really is the same engine, means that my old ass rig that ran MGR at 60 FPS consistently would have no issues running a theoretically made Bayonetta or Vanquish port. If the campaign ever comes to fruition of course.

On topic, Grief.exe, you've got my support for this venture. Still need to know how well MGRR did though, hopefully in the 5 digits at the very minimum for this time period, or at least a good percentage of the console sales LTD.

Top Bottom