• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers! Quick question on upgrading a processor...

Quick question if you don't mind. My PC rig is an Intel i7-13700 processor, 64GB RAM, Z790 Motherboard, RTX 4090. It can support the Intel 14th gen processors. Will I see a huge difference in performance upgrading from the i7-13700 to a i9-14900 processor? If I won't see huge gains in frames per second, I may not waste time upgrading. TIA!

Jaybe

Watch this for cpu comparisons by game. Focus on the games and setting you care most. Decide if the performance gains are worth the money.

Last edited:
Watching the above video, the average is about 5-10fps difference in games (if comparing to the 13700K). I'd say that's a hard no on whether you should upgrade from the 13700.

I typically don't upgrade CPU for a number of years, at least until I'm going to see a noticeable difference in gaming. I've got a 12700K at the moment and unless there is a real good reason I won't upgrade until at least 2026 or maybe longer. I'm more keen to upgrade my 3080 next year, but again this depends on the value proposition.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
There currently isn't a single processor worth to upgrade from a 13700K unless you can get it for free.

Stick with the 13700K for the next few years. It will keep delivering top-tier gaming performance for a while.

GHG

No it's not.

If you game at 4k (which you ought to be with a 4090) you will see virtually no difference.

Even if you got the i9 for free it would be a waste of effort to do the upgrade and you'll end up generating more heat for next to no gain.

winjer

Gold Member
No. It's not worth it. The 14th gen is the same as the 13th gen, just with higher clocks and a different name.
Just wait until the end of the year, AMD and Intel will release new CPUs by then.

Top Bottom