• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming lettin' me down: Deus Ex: Human Revolution's atrocious stuttering bug

jett

D-Member
Facism said:
Agent Otaku, have you tried going to the nvidia control panel and changing "Maximum prerender frames" to either 1 or 0? I used to have mad stuttering in games until I turned mine down from 3. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it already. Minimal effort required.

It has nothing to do with his machine or his settings.

Zomba13

I did have that when I first started. Think I messed with the options a bit and then didn't have it (or didn't notice it) for the rest of the game. I'm on an Nvidia GTX285 and everything was set to max (if it helps).

I get horrible stutters like terrible during non realtime custcenes, and game crashes if I try and watch any tutorial either main menu or in game

still love the game though

Durante

dark10x said:
Honestly, I'm not convinced this isn't an issue effecting everyone. Some people tend not to notice skips and stutters. When someone claims they solved it by disabling v-sync, for instance, that right there suggests to me that they aren't particularly sensitive to performance issues (as lack of v-sync destroys the image in motion).
Believe me, I'd see shit like what's going on in the youtube videos. I know that I am annoyed by far more subtle things like SLI microstuttering. I have no stuttering issues whatsoever in HR (with vsync and triple buffering).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Durante said:
Believe me, I'd see shit like what's going on in the youtube videos. I know that I am annoyed by far more subtle things like SLI microstuttering. I have no stuttering issues whatsoever in HR (with vsync and triple buffering).
Not even in city hubs? None at all ever? I'm really surprised to hear that.

StoppedInTracks said:
But this happens in different engines correct? Source, Tomb Raider... does it happen in UE3.0 games?
Very common with UE3, in fact.

The title is misleading: PC gaming letting you down? PC has thousands of different configs. Add to that software bloat. I had zero issues with DX:HR, someone else will have zero issues. You have problems, someone will find Human Revolution unplayable or refusing to start. How is any of this PC's "fault"? You are complaining PC is an open platform.

coopolon

I'm confused. I thought that this stuttering occured without dips in the framerate? Like the fps is actually still 60fps even during the stuttering. But jett and others are talking about their framerate dropping.

WEGGLES

I have this only after I save. Deleted a bunch of old saves and it seems to have fixed the issue.

i5 750
ATI 5850
4GB Ram

Durante

dark10x said:
Not even in city hubs? None at all ever? I'm really surprised to hear that.
There are some short loading pauses at some points, like in pretty much every game ever with larger areas of this detail level. But that's once every minute maybe, not once every few seconds like people describe and the videos show.

Dynamic3

I also have the issue, 560Ti.

I even had an issue where the game defaulted to stereo 3D and wouldn't let me disable it. That was fun.

Despite the fact that I love the setting for this game, the technical issues and fact that every gameplay mechanic is contextual and triggers a cutscene really disengages me.

Facism said:
Agent Otaku, have you tried going to the nvidia control panel and changing "Maximum prerender frames" to either 1 or 0? I used to have mad stuttering in games until I turned mine down from 3. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it already. Minimal effort required.

I'll try

EDIT: Nope, didn't work

hteng

Banned
coopolon said:
I'm confused. I thought that this stuttering occured without dips in the framerate? Like the fps is actually still 60fps even during the stuttering. But jett and others are talking about their framerate dropping.

it is directly linked to fps, when your framerate is jumping around between 60 and 20 it creates the stuttering effect. if you are experiencing it, get fraps and try to recreate it again, look at your fps count.

kamspy

I have less stuttering here than I do with Oblivion or STALKER. But yeah, I get a little.

AMD PII 955x4
460 GTX OC
4GB DDR2

stuminus3

Banned
It's blatantly a problem with the game, there's no user-side fix for it.

Odd to see something like this from Nixxes but I'm sure it'll be quietly fixed somewhere down the line.

O.DOGG

I also have the stuttering problem. Posted in the official forum. Hopefully we'll get a new patch that deals with the issue soon.

njean777

I have the game on pc, and do not have these stuttering problems at all. Im rocking an ATI 6870. I do not remember if I turned SSAO off at all, but I think I didn't. Is this only effecting nvidia cards?

Septimius

dark10x said:
Honestly, I'm not convinced this isn't an issue effecting everyone. Some people tend not to notice skips and stutters. When someone claims they solved it by disabling v-sync, for instance, that right there suggests to me that they aren't particularly sensitive to performance issues (as lack of v-sync destroys the image in motion).

I still don't know if I'd consider this a bug, rather, an issue with the engine and the way it handles data on the PC. I suspect a fix would require some serious work on their end.

Believe me. No problems. The lowest I've seen the fps go is 65. Actually, I've noticed low fps occasionally when I do a take-down, so believe me, it doesn't happen with my setup, and I would've noticed if it happened.

For what it's worth, I'm running the game from an SSD. Seems people with really similar setups, one can have the problem, and the other not.

And really, no triple buffering and v-sync is not the indicator of insensitivity. Those settings could be the cause of THIS problem. Be analytical about these things, don't be all "but if you think a game with screen-tearing is a playable game, you cannot know what you're talking about"

Septimius said:
Believe me. No problems. The lowest I've seen the fps go is 65. Actually, I've noticed low fps occasionally when I do a take-down, so believe me, it doesn't happen with my setup, and I would've noticed if it happened.

For what it's worth, I'm running the game from an SSD. Seems people with really similar setups, one can have the problem, and the other not.

But that's the thing if you ran fraps these stutters wont dont appear to be causing any fps drops in itself...

Q8D3vil

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I've been having this problem too.

Less of a problem in DX11 mode but then it crashes every 5 minutes in DX11 mode for me with my GTX 580.
try raising the voltage with after burner ( i raised my 570 from 975 to 1000). it solved my crashes in dx11.

Septimius

Bluemercury said:
But that's the thing if you ran fraps these stutters wont dont appear to be causing any fps drops in itself...

No, I'm just saying that because my fps is constantly reported as above 60 fps. I don't know if people are experiencing stutters while having more than 60 fps (I don't know how often fraps polls), but it shows that my performance is good, and my eyes can confirm that it is as smooth as... well, 60 fps.

When I first started playing it was fine, no stuttering anywhere. But then when I returned to Detroit later I found that I had exactly what was in the video. It doesn't really bother me that much as it only seems to affect that particular hub. My specs are:

4890 1GB
Phenom II X2 550 oc'd to 3.6Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
7200rpm HDD

I have all the settings as high as they can go for my PC and usually get 40-60fps.

This game runs better with DX11 for me, but crashes alot in that mode... funny that the game in general runs worse for me than Crysis 2 in DX11 mode...that game looks a generation more impressive than this

gblues

Banned
Evershade said:
I have a weird issue, when I play with DX11 on, I get random crashes and little green squares all over the screen, that requires restarting my PC.
And when I play on DX9, as that fixes the crashing problem, I get lots of stuttering, especially in the hub worlds. Using FRAPS the games runs at 60FPS, but will occasionally drop to 35 for a second.
Really annoying. Running GTX570 and 2600k @ 3.4GHz.

The visual artifacts point to hardware-related issues. I'd crack open the case and make sure the graphics card's heatsinks/fan aren't clogged (blowing out mine dropped the operating temp from ~95 degrees to ~59 degrees).

Also, double-check your power supply and make sure that it's at least 450 watts with a minimum of 24 amps on the 12v rail. I've been researching a lot of power supplies, and the cheap ones only give you around 18 amps. If your PSU is OEM (i.e. Dell/HP/whatnot) it's probably inadequate.

coopolon

Bluemercury said:

That's what I thought but apparently this is not correct. See jett's screen shots earlier in this thread.

Septimius

Evershade said:
I have a weird issue, when I play with DX11 on, I get random crashes and little green squares all over the screen, that requires restarting my PC.
And when I play on DX9, as that fixes the crashing problem, I get lots of stuttering, especially in the hub worlds. Using FRAPS the games runs at 60FPS, but will occasionally drop to 35 for a second.
Really annoying. Running GTX570 and 2600k @ 3.4GHz.

I run DX11 with a GTX 570 and 2400 - albeit, it's the gigabyte Super-OverClock, with a pretty awesome cooler. The artifacts come from a too hot GPU, and that's why it crashes. Fix your heat problem (opening the case, removing dust, turning up fan speed, even doing all of them) and you can enjoy the game with no problem. Strange that the game underperforms with DX9.

mbmonk said:
Very wierd title. When a buggy game is realeased on console you don't get a rash of threads saying console gaming has let me down. It's the devs not the platform.

To be fair though, pc obviously has the longer lineage of having games straight up not work, let alone games that perform poorly. I think the frustration lies in the fact that it is now easier than ever to make a gaming pc and get retardely good graphics and performance and what have you, but there are still problems in both the hardware and software side of things. I'm sure some purists will chalk it up to herp derp consolizationx but what it really boils down to is that there are just too many variables for pc testing to be all encompassing.

Pimpbaa

Durante said:
There are some short loading pauses at some points, like in pretty much every game ever with larger areas of this detail level. But that's once every minute maybe, not once every few seconds like people describe and the videos show.
I get some minor stuttering when the game is loading too, but not all the time like some. Hope the people are not confusing the two.

Septimius said:
Strange that the game underperforms with DX9.

Yes, DX9 has lower min FPS because of stuttering according to this and my personal experience: http://translate.google.com/transla...-DX11-mit-besseren-Min-Fps/Action-Spiel/Test/

58027zg.jpg

Under DX9, you sometimes have only half compared to the DX11 values. In practice, the bad-min values ​​expressed as a constant streaming trailer of the game. DX11 cards deliver in Deus Ex 3 Human Revolution, so much the better feel.

(Also note that the 560 is a typo and the card tested is actually a GTX 580)

Top Bottom