• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC monitor just exploded

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date

DieH@rd

Banned
Get 32" 1080p TV with good PC 4:4:4 mode. In few days you will never want to go to something smaller.

You can thank me later.

LCGeek

formerly sane
vg246qe is great, but is it still a lottery or something when it comes to getting one with good color/PQ, especially at higher HZ? I bought one a few years ago and colors look pretty bad the higher I go up in HZ, and using lightboost turns color quality to garbage levels

If you don't tweak or volt that monitor it's on you.

Mine is dematted, volted with a custom profile and colors are pretty good for being an otherwise shit tn panel.

PC Monitors found as much even without mentioning what I did to mine. Calibration really helps on every monitor. Kudos to Mister Saturn for an icc profile. Can't offer mine own since I don't have a gloss coat like most others.

Question, if I go 144Hz will 60fps feel like 30fps does now? (Choppy and slow), can you set 144Hz monitors to 60Hz in games you can't hit 144fps in? I only have a GTX 970 so I think it's wise sticking to 1080p?

60 fps on a 144hz monitor will feel like 60fps or better because scanout is faster. Anything above 90 will feel way better, but 60 won't feel worse just because you have the potential to have higher framerates. You can also force the monitor to be 60hz if you want to.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
60 fps on a 144hz monitor will feel like 60fps or better because scanout is faster. Anything above 90 will feel way better, but 60 won't feel worse just because you have the potential to have higher framerates. You can also force the monitor to be 60hz if you want to.

OK that's great, I was reading some threads on Google and people were saying how 60fps on 144hz felt far worse and choppy than 60fps on 60hz, if that's not the case then 144Hz would be a better move.

Seriously...pics dude! :)

There's absolutely nothing to see, something inside blew, from the outside it just looks like a monitor.

Even if it's out of warranty and all that, if there was smoke and stuff there's a good chance you can arrange something with the manufacturer if you complain hard enough :p

It's hard to go back to 60fps after playing 144hz GSync. Though, I don't think it feels as bad as going from 60fps to 30fps.

tensuke

One time ~ 12 years ago I was playing some Game Maker restaurant sim and my CRT did this. Apparently I was cooking something hot.

Samaritan

Don't worry about 60fps feeling like 30fps. I've been using a 144Hz monitor for going on two years now and while 60fps definitely doesn't feel or look as smooth as 120/140Hz, it doesn't feel choppy and unresponsive the way that 30fps does.

Is there any point in getting that dell monitor if I only have a 970?

That money could go towards an SSD and a CPU upgrade instead...

Justinh

I'm sorry this happened to you OP. What a sudden kick to the nuts...

I don't see what's so different between this monitor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018MYTH9U/) and the one you posted, and this one is much cheaper. disregard

I'm pretty sure I've seen GSYNC monitors go on sale for pretty cheap, but otherwise I'd probably recommend 144 1080. Or at least it's the route I would take.

Rizific

Is there any point in getting that dell monitor if I only have a 970?

That money could go towards an SSD and a CPU upgrade instead...

i mean, you could look at is as a future investment? you going to use that 970 forever? youll upgrade pc components much more frequently than your display. youll probably be limited to around 60fps at 1440p with todays games, but when you upgrade your gpu youll be able push fps much higher. id be hard pressed to recommend a 60hz monitor in this day and age.

I'm sorry this happened to you OP. What a sudden kick to the nuts...

I don't see what's so different between this monitor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018MYTH9U/) and the one you posted, and this one is much cheaper.

I'm pretty sure I've seen GSYNC monitors go on sale for pretty cheap, but otherwise I'd probably recommend 144 1080. Or at least it's the route I would take.

the one the op linked is 144hz, thats the major difference and the explanation of the higher price.

Eiji

Prolite? More like ProLIT

giphy.gif

200.gif

Xyber

this. this 1000000%. its 2017 people. if youre gonna come blog on GAF, at least give us a show..

OT: is your question even possible? choppy on 60fps...?

Not choppy, but the difference between 100+fps and 60 is very noticeable on a high refresh rate monitor when it comes to smoothness. And you can also really feel the added mouse lag if you are used to 100+fps.

Ieu

As a person who also owns a GTX 970 I can say that gaming on a 1440p 144Hz screen is achievable but you won't be able to max out the graphics like you could at 1080p 60Hz and even then you may have to rely on a variable refresh rate to keep the action smooth depending on how far you're willing to compromise on image quality/post processing.

MoogleMan

I'd rather go for 1080p/60 with 1ms until I can afford a full rig rebuild with a better GPU.
This is exactly what I would do.Get a "very good" 1080p/60 monitor now with low latency while you save for an upgrade. You'll still be able to game and when you do get your nicer rig/monitor (consider ultrawide!) the monitor you get now will make a nice second screen.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty much sold on the VS XG2401, go to order it and notice it's OOS directly from Amazon bumping up the price another £48. From everything I've read it really is the best option so I'll have to pay the extra I guess.

Edit: Or not, really don't think I can stretch to £300 honestly, looking at the
AOC G2460PF which is nearly £100 cheaper due to being in stock.

Edit: Bought Viewsonic from Amazon Warehouse for £239 including next day delivery. Like new, only thing wrong with it is the box is damaged. The last time I bought from their warehouse the item was brand new in all original packaging with a beat up box, saved me £50 on a sound bar and it was perfect so I'm hoping for the same again. If not Amazon's service is great so I'll just return it.

High refresh rate experience will be different for every person. 144Hz is barely noticeable to me above 60 personally. G-SYNC is invaluable, though.

Shifty

Going 144hz won't ruin 60 for you. It'll still look like 60, you'll just know what more than that looks like. And it is good.

Top Bottom