• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Shoot'em Ups / Shmups / STGs Release Archive

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hurricane of the Varstray (a new vert from the makers of Trouble Witches Neo) will be released on Steam on December 15, JP price 1800 yen. It'll also be getting a physical release in Japan that includes a 2-disc soundtrack; it'll be out on December 24 for 2000 yen.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Strania is coming? Wow another one off the list of 360'a exclusives, good!
TWNeo is on Steam too?

Man I love this thread.

What does Steamspy say about Mushi sales?
edit: 13,268 ± 2,828
so already topped the X360's standard release LTD by probably 1/3rd at least (guesswork, it sold 5k first week), pretty good :)

Momentary

Banned
Hurricane of the Varstray (a new vert from the makers of Trouble Witches Neo) will be released on Steam on December 15, JP price 1800 yen. It'll also be getting a physical release in Japan that includes a 2-disc soundtrack; it'll be out on December 24 for 2000 yen.

That comes out to be about $15. That's pretty damn generous of them.

Strania is coming? Wow another one off the list of 360'a exclusives, good!
TWNeo is on Steam too?

No. The developers of that game are releasing a new shoot'em up on PC.

Also, Gun Wings finally has a date of "November" and has its Steam Store Page up.

yopmoi

Do you know Maxxima? Still in development but it looks good.

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedL_3aSvXY
Web: http://cortastudios.com/#maxxima

OeoWUj0.gif

Momentary

Banned
Whoa!!! This next game looks surprisingly good. From the devs who made Suguri, QP Shooting (which I thought was pretty damn good) and 100% Orange Juice.

Sora.

I'm usually not a fan of cutesy asthetics, but these guys know how to make good games. It's the sequel to Suguri... which I need to actually play now.
Check out the 60FPS trailer on the Steam Store Page

I also updated all upcoming releases with their developers and their Genre. If you see anything that needs to be changed let me know in a PM. Thanks.

shaowebb

Whoa!!! This next game looks surprisingly good. From the devs who made Suguri, QP Shooting (which I thought was pretty damn good) and 100% Orange Juice.

Sora.

I'm usually not a fan of cutesy asthetics, but these guys know how to make good games. It's the sequel to Suguri... which I need to actually play now.
Check out the 60FPS trailer on the Steam Store Page

I also updated all upcoming releases with their developers and their Genre. If you see anything that needs to be changed let me know in a PM. Thanks.
Oh wow...I love the game play on this one. Definitely need to buy this later on. Thanks!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sora's a fairly old game that was released in English a while ago but there was some drama surrounding the translator/translations, I forget what exactly.

shockdude

Horizon Shift was added to Steam back in May. It looks fantastic, it has 73 positive reviews and 0 negative reviews, and right now it's only $1.69. Might post impressions later if I have time.

Momentary

Banned
There's some movement at the Varstray.com website. I commend them for trying their hand at doing English because I know they don't have the cash to get a proper translator. I have a feeling this game is going to be something to look forward too.

Hopefully they hit us with some footage soon seeing as how this game is being released in 2 weeks. The mechanics system explained for the game sounds pretty awesome.

There's some movement at the Varstray.com website. I commend them for trying their hand at doing English because I know they don't have the cash to get a proper translator. I have a feeling this game is going to be something to look forward too.

That's a lot of promising information! Dariusburst may be just on the horizon, but I definitely don't want to lose this game in the shuffle.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I finally got my Asus PG279Q monitor (it's a G-Sync monitor), hooked it up, turned it sideways, and played a round of Crimzon Clover.

My God. It is unbelievable. This is the first time I've felt like I've really gotten an arcade experience playing a shmup at home. 27" is absolutely the right size for it, and G-sync + good picture quality makes shmups mind-meltingly beautiful to look at.

PantsuJo

I finally got my Asus PG279Q monitor (it's a G-Sync monitor), hooked it up, turned it sideways, and played a round of Crimzon Clover.

My God. It is unbelievable. This is the first time I've felt like I've really gotten an arcade experience playing a shmup at home. 27" is absolutely the right size for it, and G-sync + good picture quality makes shmups mind-meltingly beautiful to look at.

Awesome monitor and awesome game, indeed! Crimzon Clover is a true gem!

Tain

next_level.gif

Momentary

Banned
Let's see... Twinkle Star Sprites, Raiden Legacy on STEAM (hopefullly not by Dot Emu), Bullet Heaven 2

Am I missing anything that popped up in the last few days that I need to add?

I wish somebody would step in and remove Raiden Legacy from existence.
Raiden is cool, Raiden Fighters is better still, but Legacy (and dotemu) are trash.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Hopefully they hit us with some footage soon seeing as how this game is being released in 2 weeks. The mechanics system explained for the game sounds pretty awesome.

bg_illust_front.png

This artstyle looks a bit goofy lol.

Danny Dudekisser

Alright, I need to get my PC arcade game setup in order, in light of all these shmups.

What arcade stick should I get? I want something built like a tank. Was thinking the Hori VLX Kuro. Not sure if there's another alternative to consider.

Momentary

Banned
Seems that DotEmu officially brought over Pulstar, Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad, and Twinkle Star Sprites over.

These games require you to lock your hz to 60 for them to function correctly. I'll make entries for these either tonight or tomorrow. (If I can pull myself away from Guilty Gear Xrd)

Tain

Alright, I need to get my PC arcade game setup in order, in light of all these shmups.

What arcade stick should I get? I want something built like a tank. Was thinking the Hori VLX Kuro. Not sure if there's another alternative to consider.

If it's going to be primarily for PC use I'd get something natively supported by XInput.

Also, I'm assuming that stick uses Hori's Hayabusa/Kuro parts. I've been using a couple Mad Catz Sanwa sticks over the years (mostly my trusty 2009 360 TE stick) and when I got the PS4 HRAP V5 I didn't like the feel of the buttons quiiiite as much (the stick is VERY close). Easily replaceable, though, if the big form factor is the main draw for you.

Danny Dudekisser

If it's going to be primarily for PC use I'd get something natively supported by XInput.

Also, I'm assuming that stick uses Hori's Hayabusa/Kuro parts. I've been using a couple Mad Catz Sanwa sticks over the years (mostly my trusty 2009 360 TE stick) and when I got the PS4 HRAP V5 I didn't like the feel of the buttons quiiiite as much (the stick is VERY close). Easily replaceable, though, if the big form factor is the main draw for you.

Form factor is the biggest draw. I haven't bought an arcade stick since the original TE and TE S came out... they were decent, but still didn't feel quite as solid as I wanted. I want something that's actually going to feel the way an arcade panel does. Like, you can slap the buttons fucking hard, and you don't feel the panel reverberate at all. And yeah, the parts are going to be immediately swapped out for a Seimitsu stick (probably an LS-56) and buttons.

Might also have to buy a Taito ashtray to complete the experience. I don't even smoke.

I'll be picking up Gun Wings tomorrow with Guilty Gear. Just want to bundle my purchases.

Okay, I bought Gun Wings.

On first play... I realized that this takes after Ikaruga in a big way. It uses the polarity mechanic to justify waves after waves of almost incomprehensible patterns and expotentially increasing difficulty per stage. I fed 10 continues to beat the game. There were some parts where the dodging was clicking, but I thought I was done right there.

Then I tried switching to weapon 2. Seriously: do not even quit your first session until you have tried the weapon 2s. In most other games, these would be game-breaking. They all have novel functions that feel like they could give you a massive edge.

I'll have to try some more.

Momentary

Banned
I think I've updated everything for recent releases this week. let me know if you guys find anything for either category. Things are starting to get out of control.

shaowebb

Man that SNK 25th anniversary bundle came outta nowhere with Pulstar and Twinkle Star Sprites. Don't forget that if you buy those you can go into the files and their will be a zip of the roms for them meaning you can play Twinkle Star Sprites on FIGHTCADE with ggpo vs friends online :D

Man that SNK 25th anniversary bundle came outta nowhere with Pulstar and Twinkle Star Sprites. Don't forget that if you buy those you can go into the files and their will be a zip of the roms for them meaning you can play Twinkle Star Sprites on FIGHTCADE with ggpo vs friends online :D

I really hope this sort of thing becomes more common. MAME, and similar, are such a cool thing that it sucks to have to skirt around discussing them. Having legit avenues for official rom dumps is crazy nice, even if the audience for that sort of thing is not huge.

There's a series called eXceed, which I got 1, 2, and 3 of on Steam a few years ago. It's a decent bullet-hell vertical scrolling shmup.

shaowebb

There's a series called eXceed, which I got 1, 2, and 3 of on Steam a few years ago. It's a decent bullet-hell vertical scrolling shmup.

Fun fact. When the trilogy first hit there were translation patches for Gun Bullet Children that fans were setting up. I helped them out a bit by playing through and beating it with all three characters and screenshotting all the dialogue to help them get the word wrap errors noted for any characters that overflowed outside the box. Games were mad fun. My Swaghausen was so fun to play in Gun Bullet Children.Here's a link discussing the translation patch if you're interested and would like to have it.

Jade Penetrate Black Package by FAR was the best and had the most stellar boss fight music with Intersect Thunderbolt.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I really hope this sort of thing becomes more common. MAME, and similar, are such a cool thing that it sucks to have to skirt around discussing them. Having legit avenues for official rom dumps is crazy nice, even if the audience for that sort of thing is not huge.

Well I mean, they're not selling them like this with the explicit understanding that people will just extract the ROMs and play them elsewhere, it just turned out that way because a) they're on PC and b) the packaged emus aren't worth bothering with.

Tain

I'd really like for IP-holders to have zero trouble re-releasing games in MAME-powered packages. MAME is such a great and full-featured emulator and it pains me to see the DotEmu releases using a half-baked emulator in its place.

Durante

I'd really like for IP-holders to have zero trouble re-releasing games in MAME-powered packages. MAME is such a great and full-featured emulator and it pains me to see the DotEmu releases using a half-baked emulator in its place.
Well, that's not going to happen:
Redistribution and use of the MAME code or any derivative works are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

• Redistributions may not be sold, nor may they be used in a commercial product or activity.
  • Redistributions that are modified from the original source must include the complete source code, including the source code for all components used by a binary built from the modified sources. However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.
  • Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
I think in some cases they really could just sell the roms.

Tain

Well, that's not going to happen:
I think in some cases they really could just sell the roms.

Yeah, I know. :( I think I understand the why but I still like thinking about the what-if.

Some venue to sell the roms and educate people on using MAME (or other choice emulators) would be nice to see.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, I know. :( I think I understand the why but I still like thinking about the what-if.

Some venue to sell the roms and educate people on using MAME (or other choice emulators) would be nice to see.

As I recall, didn't Taito Legends 2 on the PC use MAME? Like, officially?

The emulation on the PS2 version was pretty shoddy, so that was the version to get.

Momentary

Banned
Varstray hits today from what I'm understanding on twitter. I'm not expecting it to be very well translated, but I'm sure the game won't disappoint.

CWOt47gUkAEMSyE.jpg

Varstray hits today from what I'm understanding on twitter. I'm not expecting it to be very well translated, but I'm sure the game won't disappoint.

The 15th? I see this was previously announced (I can't find the source) but man, it would feel more concrete if the Steam page were up by now.

Shaneus

Any Japanese shmupers should check this out. In the very least, it's an awesome sign of where the focus is for shmup fans in the future!
transition.tokyo

The history of Japanese Shoot'em up is a big part of the video game history in Japan.

With the recent slowdown of Arcade and console gaming, shoot'em up also recently have seen a huge loss in momentum.

However, with the arrival of the New Planet that is PC gaming, this is slowly evolving.

We're now making a "Transition" to this New Planet.

This event is for all Shoot'em up game maker and users,
to make thta New Planet PC exciting and fun.

Date : Dec 26th, 10H - 18H

Place : Hirose Musen Denki Hall 5F
1-10-5 Sotokanda, Chiyodaku, 〒101-0021 Tokyo

Free entry(Some admission limit could be implemented in case of heavy crowding.)

Sponsor:STG Festival Executive Committee(Degica K.K.)
Based Degica
anbet.gif

Edit: So, there's an official thread for this already. Check it out.

shaowebb

As I recall, didn't Taito Legends 2 on the PC use MAME? Like, officially?

The emulation on the PS2 version was pretty shoddy, so that was the version to get.

The Taito Legends games in general were amazing bundles to own. Fun fact though...depending on which console you owned it for there were different exclusive games packaged on them. Taito Legends 1 though was the same across the board unless you owned a japanese version called taito memories which was missing 5 games from legends.
Taito Legends 2 though had some noteworthy console exclusives though...

Taito Legends 2 Exclusives:

PS2- Raystorm, G-Darius, Sylvalion, Balloon Bomber

Xbox/Windows- Bubble Symphony,Cadash, Pop N Pop, Ray Force

PS2 was my pick for version, but it sucked not having Ray Force aka Gunlock.

Top Bottom