• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Raist

Banned
Kinan said:
Download latest version of Nero. it should be 7. previous versions do not have Devices tab.

Nevermind, managed to make it work :lol

I've just checked "PAL" under the video transcoding section (just below the format selection)

Looks not that great with auto detect, so I chose high bitrate MPEG2 and it's a better. I can't try MPEG4 since it seemed to only be a demo with my version of Nero... but mpeg4 doesn't seem to work, or did someone managed to ?

jonabbey

_leech_ said:
So no one knows if it'll read Samba shares? :(

Not directly. DLNA is based on a set of web-related technologies, along with some of the zeroconf stuff (I think?) and not on CIFS.

If you have a Windows XP box, you could install one of the Windows DLNA servers (like Windows Media Player 11) and tell it to share files from your Linux share.

Or you could install one of the DLNA servers directly on Linux.

jonabbey said:
If you have a Windows XP box, you could install one of the Windows DLNA servers (like Windows Media Player 11) and tell it to share files from your Linux share.

Well I was thinking about setting up a NAS box with FreeNAS later this year. Your first suggestion would require my PC to be on all the time or at least every time I wanted to watch something. The second option isn't available in FreeNAS from what i've seen...

Raist

Banned
SpokkX said:
WMP11 wont even show the videos on my PS3, what is the trick?

Make sure, on the XMB, you go in the video folder.

It's a bit weird and confusing that under any folder you can find everything.
Like, under the video folder, you'll have music, video, and photos. But actually, in this case, the photos and music folders will be empty. I don't know why it does that, it's completely illogical. But whatever.

So yeah, make sure you select the video folder first (directly on the XMB)

Vashu

So, I'll use Tversity to play my videofiles (but it takes quite long to actually play it), and WMP for my music and images. This'll have to do for now I guess.

timnich

Those of you using Nero and have problems playing certain types of video, you may have to download the dvd plug-in (You will know that's the problem if a button with the letter I appears if you try selecting Mpeg 2 format through Nero MediaHome). It's on the Nero website, but it costs about $30 to download. After downloading it, all my videos on my laptop play perfectly.

mackaveli

i got nero media home to work and i see video on my tv. However the audio cuts out after 8 seconds but the video is still there.

i don't know why the audio cuts after 8 seconds.

SpokkX

Raist said:

Like, under the video folder, you'll have music, video, and photos. But actually, in this case, the photos and music folders will be empty. I don't know why it does that, it's completely illogical. But whatever.

So yeah, make sure you select the video folder first (directly on the XMB)

i am browsing the correct folder in XMB.. seems the problem is mp4 files are not added to the wmp11 library

Hmm, I have media sharing turned on under Vista, but neither WMP11 or Nero MediaHome show any unknown device on my network when my PS3 is turned on.

Doytch

jonabbey said:
Not directly. DLNA is based on a set of web-related technologies, along with some of the zeroconf stuff (I think?) and not on CIFS.

I haven't had good results with this method. I have a shared folder //name/music that I've loaded onto WMP11 directly, and I've also mounted it as a drive and shared that. Both times, my
wouldn't pick up the songs. Local songs on that machine shared, so it wasn't the sharing itself, and permissions were correct and functioning. I tried this using the standalone Media Connect also, no dice.

I might look into the DLNA servers though, do you have any recommendations? Besides Twonky that is. Preferably F/OSS.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if the PS3 will play H.264? Also, what File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov, wmv?

FightyF

Banned
Hey...so you can basically use the same setup for your 360...for your PS3?

That's pretty nifty! I was worried that I had to pop on more software. The PC I'm using for this is an older P4...I didn't want it bogged down with tons of software running at the same time.

mackaveli

i think i'm missing an audio codec for nero show time because it plays the file in sound for 8 seconds then hte sound cuts off. any ideas?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Raist said:

I was thinking the same, but it's not illogical. How can PS3 know what's in the folder you are opening before you go in there. If it knew, it could hide the folder I guess, but it cannot know. And if you are in the music XMB section, it won't play video, it's not that illogical.

SpokkX

The problem with mp4 from Windows Media Player 11 is that mp4 files are not added to the library. The library is what is shared, hence the Ps3 can´t see the mp4 files.

Apparently there is a plugin that lets you add mp4 files to the WMP11 library:

http://www.softpointer.com/WMPTagSupport.htm

Sadly this plugin only works in Windows XP yet I hear. I can not try it myself (running Vista Ultimate)

rc213

_leech_ said:
Well I was thinking about setting up a NAS box with FreeNAS later this year. Your first suggestion would require my PC to be on all the time or at least every time I wanted to watch something. The second option isn't available in FreeNAS from what i've seen...

I have a FreeNAS box running and when UPNP Media A/V Server is up the PS3 picks it up but I couldn't get it to show any of the media on it. Not sure if it's a directory structure issue or what.

Also:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1686089&group_id=151951&atid=782619

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm having the same issues as last night.

It seems that ever since I upgraded to 1.80, having the PS3 on wreaks total havoc on my entire network. PSN drops in and out. My PC's internet drops in and out (and my IMs get signed out all the time), and though I have WMP11 properly set up for sharing (can access all of my library via the X360), when I try via the PS3, I get a connectivity error and an eventual "Not titles to display" error.

If I do a network test on my PS3, I get NAT Type 3 and UPnP not available, despite the fact that pre-1.80, I had no NAT or UPnP issues. I dunno wtf 1.80 did, but it effin' sucks to be my network now.

PS, it's a premium PS3 that's otherwise hardwired to my network via a reliable WRT54g v5 Linksys wireless router. I stopped trusting the wifi months ago.

Edit - I followed the XP steps listed by the OP and verified that UPnP is started and set to automatic. And of course, I enabled sharing with the PS3 (unknown device) last night. Those settings match my X360's settings perfectly.

Edit 2 - Followed the advice of a buddy of mine with similar issues, and disabling the media server auto-connect restores my network to usual UPnP and NAT Type functionality... but of course kills the streaming from my PS3. I realize I still have my X360 for this, as a viable option, but now I'm irked that I can't get it to work. I can only imagine that if it works right on my X360, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with my network settings, and it's an issue with the PS3's software?

Dez

Mejilan said:

It seems that ever since I upgraded to 1.80, having the PS3 on wreaks total havoc on my entire network. PSN drops in and out. My PC's internet drops in and out (and my IMs get signed out all the time), and though I have WMP11 properly set up for sharing (can access all of my library via the X360), when I try via the PS3, I get a connectivity error and an eventual "Not titles to display" error.

If I do a network test on my PS3, I get NAT Type 3 and UPnP not available, despite the fact that pre-1.80, I had no NAT or UPnP issues. I dunno wtf 1.80 did, but it effin' sucks to be my network now.

PS, it's a premium PS3 that's otherwise hardwired to my network. I stopped trusting the wifi months ago.

I have the same issues. I have a WRT54G. I was able to get around them by disabling the streaming media server stuff. After doing that, when I run the test, i get type 2 and UPnP avaialble. But then, media streaming is not available. Time to get a new router?

mackaveli

i got avi files to play with sound but some of them don't

i used gspot to check the codecs of the two avi files and they have the same codec and they both play in nero showtime with sound but only one has sound on the ps3 and the other doesn't.

THis sucks

Kinan

Mejilan said:

PS, it's a premium PS3 that's otherwise hardwired to my network via a reliable WRT54g v5 Linksys wireless router. I stopped trusting the wifi months ago.

Edit - I followed the XP steps listed by the OP and verified that UPnP is started and set to automatic. And of course, I enabled sharing with the PS3 (unknown device) last night. Those settings match my X360's settings perfectly.

Edit 2 - Followed the advice of a buddy of mine with similar issues, and disabling the media server auto-connect restores my network to usual UPnP and NAT Type functionality... but of course kills the streaming from my PS3. I realize I still have my X360 for this, as a viable option, but now I'm irked that I can't get it to work. I can only imagine that if it works right on my X360, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with my network settings, and it's an issue with the PS3's software?

It seems that as of 1.80 PS3 requires more open ports when media sharing is enabled. I also got downgraded to NAT 2 after update. Guess its time to install some sniffer and look what new ports are used. In your case I would say there is some port crossover, i.e. some other programs is trying to use the same ports as ps3 and router goes mad without strict direction.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kinan said:
It seems that as of 1.80 PS3 requires more open ports when media sharing is enabled. I also got downgraded to NAT 2 after update. Guess its time to install some sniffer and look what new ports are used. In your case I would say there is some port crossover, i.e. some other programs is trying to use the same ports as ps3 and router goes mad without strict direction.

Another buddy of mine with a premium PS3 and identical router is having the same exact issue, and also had to turn off his media server connectivity. Thanks for clueing me in. I'm not a complete networking novice, but I do admit to being a bit stumped at the moment.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Are there any low cost DLNA compliant NAS Drives? Cause...I would be in heaven if I ever got a PS3 with a NAS Drive.

Also, streaming off of Vista and XP using UPnP is EXTREMELY unrealiable (at first). Its annoying. Keep on trucking though and get the connection. Make sure to check your firewalls to see if UPnP is being allowed to pass through.

Christopher

Can I get a bit of help I'm doing everything it asks, I put share on my Windows Media Player as well as my iTunes, yet my PS3 isn't getting recognized, and it not recognizing Windows.

Please <3

snorggy

using eyeconnect on mac over wireless..

i can play small (low res) mpeg files fine.. but clicking the info box reveals that throughput SEEMS to be capped at 3Mbps so larger res mpeg-2s work, but are choppy and unwatchable :(

just wondering if this is happening for anyone else using eyeconnect.

rc213

I tested with Nero Mediahome on my pc along with my 60GB PS3 using the WiFi and it worked. I was able to view my pictures and stream a xvid movie.

for the hell of it, i switched over to wireless, and :lol :lol :lol

even at 100% signal strength, with my wireless router literally 3 feet above from my PS3, i couldn't play the skate video (from playsyde) smoothly...

*goes back to wired*

yep, 100% smooth like buttah

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bad_Boy said:
I'm using nero7 w/ mediahome (windows xp). I can get it to see the ps3, plays images fine, music fine, but I have problems with video.

mp4 videos work fine (like the playsyde videos), wmv and avi/xvid files show up (even with icons) but it says access denied or something when I try to play them.

I followed the tutorial word for word. Same settings. Maybe it's the speed of my laptop (old 2.2ghz Mobile Pentium).

Did you buy it?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Faceless Master said:
yes.

the playsyde vids work fine

When I allow Sharing in WMP11 it doesn't show an unsupported device in the box below. What am I doing wrong? Should I delete Tveristy from my computer?

Mmmkay

Eeeh, so PS3Video9 is a little too eager on the peak bitrates. A word of caution for you if you're streaming over a wireless network. While okay 90% of the time, there are scenes you'll find if you're re-encoding in Video9 where it'll hit 18Mbps+ with MPEG2 and AVC. Even with a strong signal on a 802.11g network, it's difficult to sustain those bitrates. The buffering scheme is not good enough to cache ahead or even cache enough to guarantee a period of uninterrupted footage. If it starts crapping out in a scene, it'll usually stutter its way through until the action stops or if you pause it and let the buffer catch up. If there's one thing I'd like to see added to PS3Video9 in lieu of DLNA support coming out, it's the option to cap the PBR manually.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Okay, this is getting frustrating.

I've got WMP11 installed, and set to share media files. This is something XP Home decided to do of its own account, replacing a perfectly serviceable Windows Media Connect setup.

The problem is that it doesn't work in the slightest. Neither my PS3 nor my 360 can find the server. If I go to the services view, UPNP and WMP Network Sharing Service are started, but attempting to restart UPNP results in it failing to restart, which seems like a bit of a problem.

UPNP and WMP are configured to allow access in Windows Firewall, but just in case that was a problem I tried disabling the firewall completely, and that still failed.

Anyone else had this problem and managed to get things working? Any suggestions?

teiresias

gofreak said:
I can see my whole iTunes collection now, with nice little thumbnail album art, such a shame I can't play it :( The sooner iTunes gets rid of DRM the better, I almost feel like backpedalling and going back to CDs only.

Also, should there be a lag between selecting a mp3 and it playing, with nero? It takes a few seconds to get going, not sure why this would be the case...some videos are faster than that.

How'd you get iTunes to work? Is this iTunes on a Mac you're using or iTunes on Windows. I can't figure out how to get iTunes on Windows to share with my PS3.

sk3tch

No need to use Nero MediaHome or even Windows Media Connect, get:

http://www.twonkyvision.de/

TwonkeyMusic is free (download: http://www.twonkyvision.de/Download/4.2/TwonkyMusicSetup.exe).

TwonkeyMedia is $40 US and it does video and music.

Both have iTunes support and SHOUTcast, Internet Radio, etc.

They both work 100% on Windows Server 2003 (which does not support UPnP, Windows Media Connect, or Windows Media Player 11)!

I've tested both with my PS3, and even with my 300GB music collection everything is pretty smooth. This FW update is sweet!

Raistlin

For those using TVersity and getting all unsupported data, read here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.tversity.com/download.html

TVersity handles transcoding based on what media Windows Media Player supports. By default, that ain't a whole lot. From the above link, download and install some of the directshow filters.

ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter (needed for the .mp4 variant of MPEG4) should cover most bases.

I should mention that I actually forgot I had TVersity on my PC. I had installed it when they first put in the PS3 web support, but was having problems with it due to my software firewall (time to get a new router with a decent firewall). For some reason, the TVersity server is set to allow connections, but it's being blocked anyway :\

Regardless, when I installed firmware 1.8 and my PS3 rebooted ... my PC was instantly listed. Also, once I added the needed .mp4 filter ... most everything was supported.

That being said, some of my videos aren't playing ... so I need to screw around with it some more. I'm getting the access to the media server denied error :(

Not sure why. I turned off my firewall, so it can't be that ... and some videos run .... but a lot are getting that error.

Any ideas?

Anyway, I think I may get Nero 7. I could use a better burning/ripping utility, and I really like that Nero 7 seems to automatically thumbnail the video files on PS3 (sweet feature IMO).

Raistlin

robochimp said:
If any one needs Nero 7 cheap

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4942471

You can download the 15 day trial version and then activate with the key when you get your physical copy

Wait ... what!?!!?

Does anyone know whether to trust this site? o_0 The link seems weird to be Fry's Electronics?

[edit]It's the real deal ... HOLY FUK!

Thanks a lot robochimp ... I've been looking to get this for a while (a legal version lol).

goku3000

why when i turn on nero media home and i add a video files folder on it and start the server.
but on the ps3 i don't see the video files on;y what i see is music, video , collection, but all of them is empty
any help??

Lain

Stupid question but.. does WMP11 support Unicode?
All my Japanese tagged music shows as a bunch of ??? with it (both on winxp and on PS3, but they show up right on both foobar2k and also the latest winamp which added full unicode support).

Raistlin

rc213 said:
Nero 7 is P.O.S software when it comes to burning.

really? :( what's wrong with it?

what do you recommend?

Can Nero MediaHome be installed separately? Is it available separately?

Top Bottom