• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

How does UniversalMediaServer compare to Plex Media Server? I'm content with Plex at the moment except for the fact that it doesn't have the option of subtitles for PS3s. Is UMS worth moving to?

Lack of subtitles is a dealbreaker. PMS and UMS have that(well UMS have some problems in the latest version) and they can stream/transcode just about everything.

I'm not sure why you should choose UMS over PMS though, it's based on the same code except some added profiles which you can add to PMS? But perhaps I'm wrong about it.

Whogie

Oh man, UMS is going to complicate things :/ Thanks for the heads up though.

Just a little tip I discovered (at least with PMS 1.54): When you press square to move through a transcoded video, when it starts playing again, close the video and open it.
Many times a few seconds after doing moving through a video, the video will get off-sync, and closing it will make it lose its spot. If you reset the video right after moving, it'll remain stable.

Polo67

I'm trying to stream 720p video using Ps3 media server and it stutters so much . What's my issue here and how can I fix it?

Whogie

Are you on WiFi? It's a bit of a bandwidth hog.

Try editing: Common Transcode Settings -> Video Quality Settings
(Or if you can, run a wire.)

Polo67

Are you on WiFi? It's a bit of a bandwidth hog.

Try editing: Common Transcode Settings -> Video Quality Settings
(Or if you can, run a wire.)

Yes I'm wifi. I'm using a apple time machine router . I guess I will just use a thumbstick . How can I eliminate the bandwidth issue?

Whogie

Wired ethernet.

Here's what I meant earlier. Experiment with these:
cBdU3.png

They'll compress the image to bring down the bandwidth.

Polo67

Wired ethernet.

Here's what I meant earlier. Experiment with these:
cBdU3.png

They'll compress the image to bring down the bandwidth.

I tried this and it's working better. Wired Ethernet my be a possibility since my Ps3 is next to my router . Thanks for all your help

Swig_

Anyone have any tips on fixing wireless streaming via ps3 media server from my PC? It stutters so much that it's pretty much unwatchable. It seems like TV shows work better than movies. I've tried using AVI files, since apparently they're a native file, but that doesn't fix anything.

It's so frustrating because it would be a perfect media solution for me.

At this point, wired isn't an option because of the way my house is wired. I'd have to wire in a phone jack next to my TV to make that a possibility.

I've gone through the faqs on the website, but nothing will fix the problem.

Ecrofirt

I saw that this appears to be the de-facto PS3 streaming thread, and as such I have some questions.

A few days ago my blu-ray player died and I made a thread about it. Someone suggested I get a PS3. I didn't mention it in the thread because I specifically wanted to avoid using a PS3, but I do actually have an old fat PS3 that I hadn't turned on in over a year.

In order to save some money and keep my son happy, I dusted off the PS3 and updated the firmware. Now I'm using it (possibly) temporarily until I get a new dedicated blu-ray player that'll do DLNA streaming.

Anyhow...

I think I need a bit of help with streaming to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server. The issue seems to be with the files I'm attempting to stream.

Here's my setup:
I've got a server in my house that has a blu-ray drive and an i5-2400. I've been using MakeMKV to rip my blu-ray discs and DVDs to the server. From there, I've been using Handbrake to re-encode the mkv files in order reduce file size a bit.

My settings in Handbrake have been:
Container: MKV file
Presets: Regular>High Prifle
Video Codec: H264
Quality: Constant Quality (RF20)

The files are then saved and served over 100MB ethernet via PS3 Media Server, which is using its default settings.

I've hit the following issues on just the few videos I've tried:
  • Alien (blu-ray rip, mkv file): No video, but audio plays normally. I can get the video if I choose a TRANSCODE option.
  • Star Trek: TNG episodes (dvd rip, mkv file): Video plays too fast, but audio is normal. None of the TRANSCODE options fix it. Some play no video and lock up.
  • Various youtube videos (downloaded via keepvid.com with the highest quality MP4 option): Play 100% without issue.

It seems like I've got some kind of codec issue going on, but I'm really not sure. Ideally, since these are all primarily videos I've ripped myself from the source blu-rays or DVDs, I'd like to get these to all play normally without having to fiddle with the TRANSCODE folders hoping to find something that works.

Can someone clue me in on what I might be doing wrong? I'll gladly re-rip whatever I need to if it'll fix the issue.

Ecrofirt

I thought I'd give a bump here to see if anyone might be able to help.

I also posted at the official PS3 MediaServer forum, but it got no replies. That place seems like a ghosttown.

gtmax

i could've sworn i had PMS running on windows 8, but now my ps3 won't find the server. I'm reading on youtube that it is not yet compatible with Windows 8? Is this true? And if so, what are the alternatives?

I want something that can handle subtitles. Right now i'm streaming using WMP but it won't find subtitles.

Im also running wireless. Does this have something to do with my ps3 not seeing PMS?

Bumping for questions similar to gtmax,

I'm currently running win8.... I can't seem to get ps3 mediaserver to run at all.... I double clicked, even tried to run as admin, but won't work at all. Seems like something with win8 and what it "allows" you to run is stopping it from running because it's an x86 folder or some crap.... I've seen others that got it working on win8 but I looked at their forum just seems to give the dismissive "link to faq" and call it a day.

If anyone can help it would be awesome. Thank you in advance ^^;;;

Vancha

Also bumping with a similar problem, allthough I've read about UMS now and I will try that tommorow. Does anyone have experience with UMS and windows 8

Top Bottom