• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

tokkun

I just installed PS3MS today, and although I like the program, I was disappointed to find out that I can't stream 1080p mkv files smoothly on my 3.2 GHz C2D system. How much compute power do you need to deal with 1080p?

Edit:

After some further testing, I determined I wasn't CPU-bound but rather network-bound. The transcoding produces a higher bitrate than the original file, and apparently my WRT54GL can only handle a throughput of ~20 Mbps with NAT enabled.

tokkun said:
I just installed PS3MS today, and although I like the program, I was disappointed to find out that I can't stream 1080p mkv files smoothly on my 3.2 GHz C2D system. How much compute power do you need to deal with 1080p?

Edit:

After some further testing, I determined I wasn't CPU-bound but rather network-bound. The transcoding produces a higher bitrate than the original file, and apparently my WRT54GL can only handle a throughput of ~20 Mbps with NAT enabled.

i do it just fine on an old acer C2D 1.6 ghz laptop with wired network on a wrt54g running tomato...are you using stock firmware on your router?

tokkun

nolookjones said:
i do it just fine on an old acer C2D 1.6 ghz laptop with wired network on a wrt54g running tomato...are you using stock firmware on your router?

No, I'm using the latest version of Tomato. When I go into the real-time bandwidth monitor, it is capping out in the 20 Mbps range, and PS3MS produces a data rate >30 Mbps when transcoding 1080p unless you limit it in the settings. It seems consistent with the results gathered when testing throughput with DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=341

If the router's CPU is the bottleneck, I may be making the problem worse since I'm also running bittorrent on the PC

tokkun said:
No, I'm using the latest version of Tomato. When I go into the real-time bandwidth monitor, it is capping out in the 20 Mbps range, and PS3MS produces a data rate >30 Mbps when transcoding 1080p unless you limit it in the settings. It seems consistent with the results gathered when testing throughput with DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=341

If the router's CPU is the bottleneck, I may be making the problem worse since I'm also running bittorrent on the PC

i dont transcode with ps3 media server i do real time remuxing which is much easier on your cpu...it should be doing this with the default settings i believe...

tokkun

nolookjones said:
i dont transcode with ps3 media server i do real time remuxing which is much easier on your cpu...it should be doing this with the default settings i believe...

Well, I didn't change the default settings from the beta and it shows the 'transcoding buffer' being used in the status when I play MKV files. The log says "Starting transcode/remux of ______".

So I'm not sure how to tell whether it is actually remuxing or transcoding. Regardless, it is producing data rates > 30 Mbps.

Zakkath said:
This video has been very helpful for me. I use Windows 7 and there is no need to install PS3 media server. I hope this can help someone else too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZLczCuaRY
that's cool and all, but you still have to disable your firewall.

PS3 Media Server is by far the best option for streaming any and every format at a high bitrate. It's flawless. Really, it is.

Alternately, PlayOn is great too. Particularly if you're interested in streaming Hulu and other online video services to your PS3, 360 or Wii.

it does local video too, but you can't control the bitrate directly like you can in PS3MS.

in summary, having PlayOn and PS3 Media Server on your computer is the best solution I've found after years of testing.

Dreams-Visions said:
in summary, having PlayOn and PS3 Media Server on your computer is the best solution I've found after years of testing.

this is the exact combo i use and it completely replaces cable for me except for nba games...

tokkun

Zakkath said:
This video has been very helpful for me. I use Windows 7 and there is no need to install PS3 media server. I hope this can help someone else too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZLczCuaRY

Yeah, the problem with WMP is that it doesn't support MKV streaming to PS3. You can get some support by installing a beta software from DIVX corp., but it's still pretty flaky.

Dreams-Visions said:
that's cool and all, but you still have to disable your firewall.

I'd wager that 99% of those doing steaming between a PC and PS3 have no need for a PC firewall because they'll be running behind a residential gateway with its own built-in NAT.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I got this working but my pictures and videos really have to be in the "My Pictures" and "My Videos" folders?

Schrade

Ether_Snake said:
Windows Media Player 11
There might be somewhere in there to add folders.

Ah yes. Right click on the Pictures section in the WMP 11 sidebar, and then select Manage Picture Library. You can add/remove folders from there.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DancingCactus77 said:
Total noob at the PC/MAC to PS3 situation. Is it possible just hooking up my Macbook to the PS3 using a network cable?
Yes. You could even setup your Macbook to share its WiFi connection with the PS3 via an ethernet cable (here's a guide on how to do it).

tjohn86

Anyone have problems fastforwarding mkvs with PMS? I can play them just fine but they cant fast forward. I get a network error. Im on a gigabit LAN too.

Rur0ni

tjohn86 said:
Anyone have problems fastforwarding mkvs with PMS? I can play them just fine but they cant fast forward. I get a network error. Im on a gigabit LAN too.
Yeah. If you're transcoding at all, that will definitely be a problem. I get the best playability using PS3MS with MP4 rather than MKV. I just use a remuxer to turn my MKVs to MP4s before I watch something, then on the console in the #TRANSCODE folder, I choose play with No Transcode. Much better seeking. Not possible with subs though, you'll always have to transcode, and seeking is pretty much crap.

tokkun

tjohn86 said:

Fastforwarding works for me, but it is jerky and does not go at full speed. I usually find it better to open the XMB and use Go To, which works just fine.

Lkr

does anyone have a fix for color range on PMS? My tv uses 16-235 and I have RGB color set to limited on the PS3 settings and the superwhite option set to off.

harSon

Banned
Should I make a new thread for this or does it belong here?

This primarily has to do with DivX and MKV files, and is particularly useful for those who use their Playstation 3 to stream stuff like Anime.

I know there are already a few posts detailing Playstation 3 streaming and transcoding methods, but seeing as some people don't have the computing power to do so without a hitch (like myself!) and the fact that it's not exactly the most stable means of media viewing, I thought it'd be nice to gather all of my knowledge regarding the more local means of media streaming. Instead of streaming or transcoding on the fly, we'll be doing some quick "soft" conversions that typically take a few minutes or less, and simply copy the resulting files to some form of storage device to be played locally on the Playstation 3 itself. It's a tad bit slower than streaming or transcoding, especially if you're new to the processes, but once you get the hang of it, things speed up considerably and it proves to be incredibly reliable/stable.

What is a "soft" conversion?
Instead of physically converting a file, which as many people know, can take up huge chunks of time depending on the sophistication of the conversion and hardware at your disposal, we'll be doing what I call a "soft" conversion. This basically boils down to placing a video file within a container type that the Playstation 3 is capable of understanding. And seeing as there is no actual conversion taking place, the process itself is extremely fast as previously mentioned.

What is meant by "softcoding" subtitles?
Let's say that you have a video file and a separate subtitle file, and would like to combine the two so you can watch a subtitled video on your Playstation 3. "Hardcoding" the subtitles would involve the actual splicing together of the subtitles themselves and the video, making them a single entity, which requires conversion and as a result, a considerable amount of time to do so. We can get around this by "Softcoding", which simply means to embed the video and subtitle file within a common container. Not only is this significantly faster, but it also allows you to include several subtitles within the same video which can be toggled on and off.

Before continuing, it's important to note that these methods require that the video file within the actual containers already be compliant with Playstation 3 standards. If they're not, then an actual "hard" conversion will have to be done to play them locally on a Playstation 3. So to circumvent any confusion, this is what is possible under this guide:

A) "Softcoding" subtitles within compliant AVI video files - This is useful for those who can't be bothered to hardcode subtitles to a video, not to mention the fact that it's incredibly faster and less complex of a task.

B) "Soft" converting MKV files into the compliant VOB format - As you may know, MKV files are not natively supported by the Playstation 3. But in many cases, the video and audio within them are. This simply strips away the MKV container and embeds the video/audio within the Playstation 3 compliant VOB format.

C) "Softcoding" subtitles within MKV files by "soft" converting them and the wanted video file into the Playstation 3 compliant file type AVCHD - Unfortunately, the VOB format does not allow for softcoded subtitles on a Playstation 3, so we must use the AVCHD container which does in fact allow it.

And that is the extent of this guide's aim. It's by no means a comprehensive solution, nor is it necessarily meant to be, instead, I've tried to touch on some of the more popular aspects of media streaming and hopefully come up with some fairly convenient methods for doing so.

Here's a list of hardware you're going to need:

- A PC loaded with some form of Windows. You may be able to get some (or all?) of the software to work on Linux, and if you're able to, please let me know :)
- A Playstation 3 (the hardware sku doesn't matter as far as I know).
- A means of getting the media onto your Playstation 3 (External HD or Flash Drive). I personally use a Flash Drive and you're probably going to want to have one for your AVCHDs (I'll explain what this is soon.)

And in terms of actual hardware, that's all you're going to need. I'm assuming many people already have number's 1 and 2 covered, so basically, you can get away with purchasing a Flash Drive for ~$5-15 and have everything you need to have to do everything listed within this guide.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) "Softcoding" subtitles within compliant AVI video files.

1. Download and install the necessary program, we'll be using AVIAddXSubs, which can be downloaded here: http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php After installing, open the program.

This program works with SRT, XSUBS and idx/sub subtitle formats.

2. Click the button with the three dots next to the box labeled "File Name(s) ..." and select the video you'd like to add subtitles too. Make sure to select your destination/output folder directly below as well.
15yt501.png

3. Before pressing start, make sure the subtitle file(s) and the video file are in the same directory and share the exact same name. If your video file is called videotest.avi then your subtitle must be titled videotest.srt (or .sub/.idx depending on the type of subtitle).

4. Press Start. The entire process should only take a few minutes depending on your computer.

5. Once the conversion is complete, copy it to a flash drive, external hard drive, the Playstation 3 itself, etc.

Note: To see the files within your flash drive on a Playstation 3, you cannot simply select the USB Device icon, it will simply say "there are no titles". Instead, hover over the USB Device icon and press triangle, followed by selecting "Display All" and then you'll be able to see everything on the device.

6. Start the video in question, it should be in the video section of the XMB bar, after that depends on what method you used to get it to your Playstation 3. If your subtitles aren't already present or the wrong subtitles are playing, simply press the "subtitles" button if you have the official PS3 remote, or press Triangle and then hover over to the icon with four dots and press that until the right subtitles are present.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B) "Soft" converting MKV files into the compliant VOB format

1. Download and install the necessary program, we'll be using MKV2VOB, which can be downloaded here: http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=1 After installing, open the program.

2. Click on Browse button underneath Source File and select the MKV file you'd like to convert to the VOB format. Make sure to select where you'd like the resulting file to do by changing the Destination Directory.
6hti0m.png

3. Click on the Configuration tab.
15531om.png

- Preferred Audio Language => If the MKV has more then one audio track, this is where you select the one you'd like the converted VOB file to house.
- File Splitting => You can choose to have the converted VOB file split into multiple chunks of a certain size.
- Video Transcoding => Make sure this is always set to Automatic.
- Output Type => Set it to Automatic.
- Transcoding Output => Set it to MPEG-2 (Fast)

From what I've tried, the subtitle aspect of the program does not work, which is why I've included an alternative option. Leave everything involving subtitles unchecked/default.

4. Go back to the Add File tab and press the Add File button that's towards the right of the page. It will automatically add your file to the queue and then convert it. The process should be relatively quick (a few minutes or so) unless the video/audio within the MKV are not Playstation 3 complaint, in which case, the program will have to transcode the aspect that is not compliant.

Transcoding the Audio is relatively quick but the video can take a lot longer, but fortunately, you'll rarely come across video that is not already compliant.

5. Once the conversion is complete, copy it to a flash drive, external hard drive, the Playstation 3 itself, etc. Get to it and play it the same way you would any other video.

C) "Softcoding" subtitles within MKV files by "soft" converting them and the wanted video file into the Playstation 3 compliant file type AVCHD.

1.Download and install the necessary program, we'll be using multiAVCHD, which can be downloaded here: http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/ After installing, open the program.

2. Click on the Add Video Files tab and add the MKV file you'd like to convert. We're going to have to make a few changes first, before we can start the conversion.
1sjcqu.png

3. Go to the Author tab. Make sure nothing is selected under Menu style and options, untick any box that is already selected within it.
ohk7bm.png

4. Go to the Subtitles & Audio tab. Here is where you can make changes to the appearance and positioning of the subtitles themselves. The options are pretty self explanatory, but I personally haven't edited anything outside of the Settings for ... 1080p video and Advanced Processing Settings.
2ujpctu.png

5. At the bottom of the program, select your Destination path, or basically where you'd like the converted file to end up.

6. Press Start. A menu with various selections will pop up, select Sony Playstation 3. Once the conversion has completed, hopefully without any major errors, you should have a folder named AVCHD where ever you directed the the program to extract to. Copy this folder to the root directory of your Flash Drive (X:\\AVCHD).

7. The video can now be played on your Playstation 3. After plugging the Flash Drive into your Playstation 3, go to the Video section of the XMB bar. You should see something called a USB Device which is simply your Flash Drive.

Hover over it and press X on your controller or remote, it should come to something called AVCHD. Press X again and your video should start playing. If your subtitles aren't already present or the wrong subtitles are playing, simply press the "subtitles" button if you have the official PS3 remote, or press Triangle and then hover over to the icon with four dots and press that until the right subtitles are present.

Note: If your video does not already have the subtitles you want embedded within the MKV file itself, simply get a hold of the necessary subtitle file and make sure it's named the exact same as the video file itself, and put it in the same directory as the MKV video. The program will automatically include it during the conversion.

gtmax

PMS3 is the reason why i bought a second ps3 after my 60gig died. I'd rather have the ps3 as a media player than as a games console. I literally use it for everything i watch. I'd rather download a show, watch it commercial free on my huge TV, than put up with commercials.

My kids don't even get brainwashed by ads because of psm3. My latest thing to do is copy giant 720p files to the ps3 and then i can forward at 120x.

Schrade

harSon said:
Should I make a new thread for this or does it belong here?

This primarily has to do with DivX and MKV files, and is particularly useful for those who use their Playstation 3 to stream stuff like Anime.

I know there are already a few posts detailing Playstation 3 streaming and transcoding methods, but seeing as some people don't have the computing power to do so without a hitch (like myself!) and the fact that it's not exactly the most stable means of media viewing, I thought it'd be nice to gather all of my knowledge regarding the more local means of media streaming. Instead of streaming or transcoding on the fly, we'll be doing some quick "soft" conversions that typically take a few minutes or less, and simply copy the resulting files to some form of storage device to be played locally on the Playstation 3 itself. It's a tad bit slower than streaming or transcoding, especially if you're new to the processes, but once you get the hang of it, things speed up considerably and it proves to be incredibly reliable/stable.

What is a "soft" conversion?
Instead of physically converting a file, which as many people know, can take up huge chunks of time depending on the sophistication of the conversion and hardware at your disposal, we'll be doing what I call a "soft" conversion. This basically boils down to placing a video file within a container type that the Playstation 3 is capable of understanding. And seeing as there is no actual conversion taking place, the process itself is extremely fast as previously mentioned.
Your "soft conversion" term's real name is called remuxing.

Rur0ni

Good post HarSon. Wish Sony would just support MKV and subs appropriately. I'll simply be going with an XBMC setup soon, but PMS has served me well for almost a year.

Raistlin

Rur0ni said:
Good post HarSon. Wish Sony would just support MKV and subs appropriately. I'll simply be going with an XBMC setup soon, but PMS has served me well for almost a year.

While yes they don't support MKV, for the containers PS3 supports that can have subs, they do work. ie. DivX and AVCHD work iirc.

Hey guys, I've had my PS3 for a couple years now, but only just recently have I started using it as a media center (via PS3MS thanks to the advice of this thread).

Quick question though: I mainly watch TV shows and movies which are very rarely in HD. Even though they're of "SD" resolution and file size, almost every time I start up a show/file, it stutters like crazy and I have to pause it for a minute.

I'm assuming this is because it's buffering (ala watching a Youtube video and reaching the section where it hasn't loaded before it's done loading)?

If so, is there any way to "pre-load" the video before I watch it? Or is there some other solution to something I'm doing wrong?

For the record, I'm on Windows Vista, using a fairly capable laptop, and a pretty fast network.

Thanks for the help.

Kinan

Mike Works said:
Hey guys, I've had my PS3 for a couple years now, but only just recently have I started using it as a media center (via PS3MS thanks to the advice of this thread).

Quick question though: I mainly watch TV shows and movies which are very rarely in HD. Even though they're of "SD" resolution and file size, almost every time I start up a show/file, it stutters like crazy and I have to pause it for a minute.

I'm assuming this is because it's buffering (ala watching a Youtube video and reaching the section where it hasn't loaded before it's done loading)?

If so, is there any way to "pre-load" the video before I watch it? Or is there some other solution to something I'm doing wrong?

For the record, I'm on Windows Vista, using a fairly capable laptop, and a pretty fast network.

Thanks for the help.

Do you stream to PS3 wirelessly or through Ethernet? You can try to play with transcoding settings in PS3M. Normally SD video should not create a huge bandwidth streams though.
You can also try to change the size of the transcoding buffer, though, again, it normally can help only for FullHD videos. :p

Look at the buffer bar when you see stuttering. Is its empty or full?

I know that it's not really a media server issue but I'm using a 8Gb USB key so my gf can see some shows on her laptop easily. I've tried to plug the USB key on the PS3 but nothing appears (not even a folder or a name... so I can't hit Triangle and see what is in the device).

My USB key was in FAT 32 format and I reformat it on a Windows XP computer and it still doesn't work. Does Sony have blocked some USB keys because of the USB piracy thing ?

I'm bored, I've search all over the web and I have no solution and if I can't plug it in my PS3, my USB Key is almost useless :/

Thank you all :)

Kinan

Chû Totoro said:
I know that it's not really a media server issue but I'm using a 8Gb USB key so my gf can see some shows on her laptop easily. I've tried to plug the USB key on the PS3 but nothing appears (not even a folder or a name... so I can't hit Triangle and see what is in the device).

My USB key was in FAT 32 format and I reformat it on a Windows XP computer and it still doesn't work. Does Sony have blocked some USB keys because of the USB piracy thing ?

I'm bored, I've search all over the web and I have no solution and if I can't plug it in my PS3, my USB Key is almost useless :/

Thank you all :)

It happens with some high volume (4+ GB) sticks for some reason. Also have one of those at home, reformatted multiple times and gave up. :p

Kinan said:
Do you stream to PS3 wirelessly or through Ethernet? You can try to play with transcoding settings in PS3M. Normally SD video should not create a huge bandwidth streams though.
You can also try to change the size of the transcoding buffer, though, again, it normally can help only for FullHD videos. :p

Look at the buffer bar when you see stuttering. Is its empty or full?
I stream wirelessly.

I have no idea what to do when it comes to "transcoding settings".

Whenever I've looked at the buffer bar, it's always been completely empty. I don't know what that means.

Any advice?

Kinan

Mike Works said:
I stream wirelessly.

I have no idea what to do when it comes to "transcoding settings".

Whenever I've looked at the buffer bar, it's always been completely empty. I don't know what that means.

Any advice?

Find this page:

PS3-Media-Server_3.jpg

set the video quality settings to one of the wireless profiles.

Can increase a transcoding buffer size while at it.

Check if numbers of cores there fits to your processor.

This is fucking infuriating, I just can't get this to work properly.

No matter how many settings I change, the videos keep stuttering every single time. It's driving me insane since I don't have cable (just moved to a new place), and thus I really want to watch these videos (that are on my laptop) on my TV.

Can anyone recommend another program?

Mike Works said:

No matter how many settings I change, the videos keep stuttering every single time. It's driving me insane since I don't have cable (just moved to a new place), and thus I really want to watch these videos (that are on my laptop) on my TV.

Press select while playing a video. What bitrate is the video at?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mike Works said:

Have you tried copying them to the PS3? If the files can be played natively on the system you can copy them to it by pressing triangle on the file and then copy. It gets rid of all the buffering/streaming issues, but you have to manually copy the files and the system has to have support for them. If they're MKV's you can usually use MKV2VOB to remux (less than 1 minute usually) the file into a PS3 playable container and then copy the file MKV2VOB spits out.

If you just want to try another server (not sure how much this will help), try TwonkyServer (free 30 day trial, $20 afterwards). It doesn't have the transcoding capabilities of PSMS, but it's a lot stabler on my system than PSMS is.

Make sure your wireless connection is alright.
Check the current wireless signal strength in the PS3's networks settings (first option).

For example, I have no problems for SD videos above 70% signal strength (for native supported videos, everything is fast etc.). But once I moved the router I had about 55-60%. This rendered every video into a stuttering mess. (of course this affected everything else as well like PSN download speed)

My PC is different or it is displayed differently, with a less than average connection I still get full (internet) download speed for example.

YakiSOBA

Question... using PS3MS, everything is usually fine and dandy. Lately though, when watching some shows it plays for a bit, then it stops, and I get an error "DLNA 2006" or something. I did some searching, but didn't find anything that could help.

Hope some gaffers can lend me a hand here :)

oneHeero

Sorry for bump.

I tried enabling media server on my PS3 but it will not show up on WMP at all. I've tried numerous suggestions from google.

My ps3 is a wired connection into a lynksys router along with my computer. I've tried disabling the firewall to see if that were the problem but it wasnt. Any ideas?

Bishman

Hey can anyone help me. My roommate and I had an old Belkin G router and PS3 Media Server worked. Then we bought a Netgear N+ router and PS3 Media doesn't show up anymore. How do I fix it?

Top Bottom