• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC to PS3 Media Streaming (DLNA) Thread

Crisis

Banned
Fair Witness said:
I haven't used tversity, but instead of fastforwarding have tried using the "go to" command? Press triangle, select the "go to" arrow, then select a point in the video timeline to jump to. I use this method all the time with ps3ms.

Square button works as well.

SOLDIER

Could someone help me please? I'm using PS3 Media Server, but the audio on some vids is a little screwy. Specifically, the dialog is coming out of the right speaker instead of the center one.

I'd ask in the official forum, but other people seem to have a similar problem and get brushed off to search for the solution themselves.

Kirk

I'm looking for a good NAS that's DLNA compatible and works well with the PS3. People seem to be leaning towards the QNAP TS-109 II. The thing is a real beast, with a huge feature list, and it's pretty pricey. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does anyone have any recommendations for another NAS that plays nice with the PS3?

Kinan

SOLDIER said:
Could someone help me please? I'm using PS3 Media Server, but the audio on some vids is a little screwy. Specifically, the dialog is coming out of the right speaker instead of the center one.

I'd ask in the official forum, but other people seem to have a similar problem and get brushed off to search for the solution themselves.

I guess you already played with audio settings? Have correct number of speakers set in PS3MS? What videos are not working, AC3 5.1? There are plenty of parameters to play with, and many people never had the problem, so its hard to find some universal solution. :p

gtmax

My PS3MS stopped detecting my ps3. I get the following error message: unable to bind on port 5002. Address already in use: bind.

How can i get around this problem? I watch all tv through my ps3.

Kinan

gtmax said:
My PS3MS stopped detecting my ps3. I get the following error message: unable to bind on port 5002. Address already in use: bind.

How can i get around this problem? I watch all tv through my ps3.

Try to switch off firewall/windows defender? Open port 5002 in your router? Just restart your router and pc?

gtmax

Kinan said:
Try to switch off firewall/windows defender? Open port 5002 in your router? Just restart your router and pc?
I was depressed for two days but just now it worked. I don't exactly what i did differently other than restarting the pc a few times. It happened right after updating both ps3 and PC.

I had installed the latest version of Tversity. NIce looking UID but i still hate the way it works. Now i can turn it off.

Sorry to bump an old thread but got a strange question.

I've tried both TVersity and PS3 Media Server and had trouble with both. THey would play lower res movies fine but anything 720p or higher and I would get a "The data is corrupted" message on the PS3. MP3s wouldn't even list on the PS3 at all.

Now, I reinstalled Windows 7 and even with a fresh install, I still can't get the PS3 to detect my MP3s on my computer. The re-install did fix streaming HD videos though so it seems that I'm half-way there.

Any ideas?

TheExodu5

Banned
The Shadow said:

I've tried both TVersity and PS3 Media Server and had trouble with both. THey would play lower res movies fine but anything 720p or higher and I would get a "The data is corrupted" message on the PS3. MP3s wouldn't even list on the PS3 at all.

Now, I reinstalled Windows 7 and even with a fresh install, I still can't get the PS3 to detect my MP3s on my computer. The re-install did fix streaming HD videos though so it seems that I'm half-way there.

Any ideas?

Can't comment on the MP3 issue, but for the 720p issue, you can use the Transcode folders with PS3MS to watch the transcoded movies.

Schrade

The Shadow said:

Any ideas?
Are you making sure to go to the music section of the XMB and browse from there? A common mistake is to try and view/play MP3s from the video section of the XMB. It only lists/plays video files there.

Schrade said:
Are you making sure to go to the music section of the XMB and browse from there? A common mistake is to try and view/play MP3s from the video section of the XMB. It only lists/plays video files there.

I figured it out literally 5 minutes after making my post. Doh!

Well, that solves the MP3 issue. Now I just need to figure out Hulu and Pandora. ;)

Schrade

I believe TVersity Pro (free - they ask you to pay if you find it useful but you don't have to) can do Hulu.

As for Pandora, I dunno yet.

I currently use TVersity, but I am wondering if anyone knows a simple way to just make the PS3 see the folder with compatible files already in it?

I do not transcode anything, everything that I stream i make it PS3 compatible before I stream it, which 99% of the time just means using mkv2vob, so I really have no need for a full featured program like PS3MS or TVersity, but they are the only way I can get the PS3 to see the files.

Back in the day on Xbox Media Center it was so simple, just make a shared folder on my computer and put everything into it that I wanted to stream and XBMC saw it fine, no need to refresh or configure anything or run any 3rd party software. Is there a way to make it like this on a PS3?

xclaw

SuicideUZI said:
I currently use TVersity, but I am wondering if anyone knows a simple way to just make the PS3 see the folder with compatible files already in it?

I do not transcode anything, everything that I stream i make it PS3 compatible before I stream it, which 99% of the time just means using mkv2vob, so I really have no need for a full featured program like PS3MS or TVersity, but they are the only way I can get the PS3 to see the files.

Back in the day on Xbox Media Center it was so simple, just make a shared folder on my computer and put everything into it that I wanted to stream and XBMC saw it fine, no need to refresh or configure anything or run any 3rd party software. Is there a way to make it like this on a PS3?

Have you tried just using the default Windows Media Player media sharing? If all your content is already PS3 ready you can just add the folder to your media player library and share it to the PS3 without the need for third party software.

Edit - Basically read the first section on the first post of this thread.... to setup WMP sharing unless that's not what your after. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6521597&postcount=1

Schrade

It's far easier and more compatible to just let PS3 Media Server do it all for you. It makes it so that there's no need for you to convert things using MKV2VOB.

It will either:

1) Stream the files untouched if they are PS3 compatible

2) Remux the files on the fly as they are streamed if the the audio/video in the container are PS3 Compatible but the container isn't (this means no transcoding whatsoever)

3) Remux & modify the streamed video if it is possible to do. For example if you have an H.264 Level 5.1 .mkv video and it doesn't use exclusive advanced profile features, it'll rewrite the level to a PS3 compatible 4.0 and stream it. This involves no transcoding, it will do this on the fly.

4) Transcode the video if either the audio or video are not PS3 compatible.

Really, there's no reason not to use PS3 Media Server unless your PC has a CPU from 10 years ago or something.

So random question here but I have the media server installed in OSX and almost everything works great, I have the DISCOGS art grabber enabled but it's not working for any of my tagged albums.

What am I doing wrong?

RuGalz

The Shadow said:
I figured it out literally 5 minutes after making my post. Doh!

Well, that solves the MP3 issue. Now I just need to figure out Hulu and Pandora. ;)

Unless something has changed recently, you can use PS3 web browser for Pandora.

Besides Golden Signals Display Share, does anyone know of a way to wirelessly send my PC's desktop/screen to my PS3? I'm trying to play PC games on my big screen and would definitely prefer to not pay $50. I also need to see everything running perfectly before I start considering a wireless keyboard.

I'll give it a try, is it set to do steps 1 and 2 by default or is there something you have to do to tell it to only transcode if its necessary?

Schrade said:
It's far easier and more compatible to just let PS3 Media Server do it all for you. It makes it so that there's no need for you to convert things using MKV2VOB.

It will either:

1) Stream the files untouched if they are PS3 compatible

2) Remux the files on the fly as they are streamed if the the audio/video in the container are PS3 Compatible but the container isn't (this means no transcoding whatsoever)

3) Remux & modify the streamed video if it is possible to do. For example if you have an H.264 Level 5.1 .mkv video and it doesn't use exclusive advanced profile features, it'll rewrite the level to a PS3 compatible 4.0 and stream it. This involves no transcoding, it will do this on the fly.

4) Transcode the video if either the audio or video are not PS3 compatible.

Really, there's no reason not to use PS3 Media Server unless your PC has a CPU from 10 years ago or something.

So does anyone here use the 2nd gen My Book World Edition to stream to the PS3? I believe it has Twonky built-in and I was wondering if anyone knew if it gives you image previews for your videos.

sun-drop

just a heads up.

finally found a fix to my long standing issue with media streaming to my ps3 from my pc.

previously no matter what i did ... streaming was just unusable ..like watching vids over dialup ..if they started at all.

well thanks to the guys at the nzgames forum ... sussed my problem.

i had always set my router to assing a specific IP address to my ps3 based on it's mac address .... but then when setting up my ps3 via it's network wizard ..i would always then go and set the IP address i had chosen, manually.

yep .. that fucked it up apprently. becuase i just changed this to auto..and bam ... freaking works.

doh.

anthunit

I'm kind of at my wits end here: I recently upgraded my PC to windows 7 and the PS3 keeps reporting "The Data is Corrupted" whenever trying to play any new xvid files. It was working for a time, but now it refuses to play almost any video file. Some of the same xvid files that were playable under Vista are now "corrupted" when trying to stream them using Windows 7. The PS3 can see the files fine but it cant play them. I've tried everything I can think of: I've googled to the best of my ability and used every ounce of PC troubleshooting knowledge that I have to no avail. I need some media streaming sage to help me out before I break either my console or destroy this Windows 7 install out of spite.

TheExodu5

Banned
Try the new beta. Fixed most issues I had with it. Worst case scenario: you'll be forced to transcode. Just access the transcode folder on top to play transcoded videos.

anthunit

TheExodu5 said:
Try the new beta. Fixed most issues I had with it. Worst case scenario: you'll be forced to transcode. Just access the transcode folder on top to play transcoded videos.

I've been trying to get this to work with windows media player. I assume you're talking about playstation media server transcoding. I'd like to see if anyone knows how to fix this before I give up and use a third party app.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
onegoodlogan said:
So does anyone here use the 2nd gen My Book World Edition to stream to the PS3? I believe it has Twonky built-in and I was wondering if anyone knew if it gives you image previews for your videos.

I just got this, it doesn't. Twonky has been rather awesome for it though.

I would rather use PS3 media server for sure, but for some reason i keep getting DLNA Error (2006) everytime i try to open a folder with more than 10 files in it :(. Sucks.

manji

onegoodlogan said:

Avoid at all costs...for some reason, the World Edition likes to just forget that it's on a network, at least twice a day. Searched the interwebs for a solution, nada.

When it worked, it worked fine...but it liked to stop working =)

AndyD

aka andydumi
anthunit said:
I've been trying to get this to work with windows media player. I assume you're talking about playstation media server transcoding. I'd like to see if anyone knows how to fix this before I give up and use a third party app.

All I can think of is make sure you have the codecs installed. Short of that, I have a number of videos that Vista and W7 were never able to play but that ps3ms handles just fine. I feel ps3ms is a much more powerful tool anyway, many more options and stuff than W7 anyway.

And the "play on" feature of W7 will not work on PS3 anyway for now, thats the only major difference where W7 has an advantage over ps3ms that I can think of.

CamHostage

Kirk said:
I'm looking for a good NAS that's DLNA compatible and works well with the PS3. People seem to be leaning towards the QNAP TS-109 II. The thing is a real beast, with a huge feature list, and it's pretty pricey. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does anyone have any recommendations for another NAS that plays nice with the PS3?

I actually bought an older one of these, but because I have so few clips ready to go on my PS3 (and also because the wireless in my house is kinda f'ed), I always end up just using PSMC instead since it'll do the transcoding.

If you're looking to get a NAS but are looking to go cheap, I might recommend a different solution: upgrade your router. Higher-end routers now have media server functions where you take an external USB drive and plug it in, then the router itself handles the DLNA connectivity. It depends on how you have your house set up, but you'd have to go through some hassle with a NAS anyway. (My PC isn't anywhere near my router, for example, and so I would have to take my laptop to the drive or perhaps 'FTP' files from my PC to my router's, I think the router comes with software to make that transfer and I think you can set your 'NAS' setup to be a download destination as well.) If you are planning on upgrading your router anyway, as I am, then this is a doable solution for both problems, I would think. The one I'm eyeing is the Linksys WRT160NL

Rhindle

I don't know that a NAS setup is the greatest solution, unless all your media is in a natively supported PS3 format. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to have been much progress on format compatibility in recent firmware updates, so PC-based streaming seems like it will remain the best bet for now.

MoFuzz

Is it absolutely necessary to install a codec pack (something like CCCP) for this to work best?

How about if I just have VLC installed, with nothing else?

Rhindle

MoFuzz said:
Is it absolutely necessary to install a codec pack (something like CCCP) for this to work best?

How about if I just have VLC installed, with nothing else?
If you're using PS3MS, no need for any codecs. I think it installs mplayer and whatever codecs that comes with.

If you're using WMP and running Windows 7, again no need for any additional codecs, since WIN7 has support for just about every format the PS3 plays natively. If you're running an older OS, you may see some benefit for a codec pack, in terms of WMP picking up more files. CCCP is a bit questionable these days though. I'd get the Shark codec pack.

Leatherface

sun-drop said:
just a heads up.

finally found a fix to my long standing issue with media streaming to my ps3 from my pc.

previously no matter what i did ... streaming was just unusable ..like watching vids over dialup ..if they started at all.

well thanks to the guys at the nzgames forum ... sussed my problem.

i had always set my router to assing a specific IP address to my ps3 based on it's mac address .... but then when setting up my ps3 via it's network wizard ..i would always then go and set the IP address i had chosen, manually.

yep .. that fucked it up apprently. becuase i just changed this to auto..and bam ... freaking works.

doh.

That is really strange. Doesn't make any sense to me. Still, I think I'm going to give this a try because wireless is flaky at best with my PS3.

noah111

Still Alive
Just wondering, if i'd like to simply watch Hulu on my PS3 what is the best option/program to go with (using Win 7 atm)? Thanks.

eznark

Banned
Anyone know how to add video RSS feeds to PS3 Media Server? I guess you have to edit the .cfg file but I tried to add Bonus Round and it didn't work. It shows up in my list but no files appear.

Sentry said:
Just wondering, if i'd like to simply watch Hulu on my PS3 what is the best option/program to go with (using Win 7 atm)? Thanks.

PlayOn, it usually runs a flat $40, but I have seen it on sale for $20.

Magnus

Is it possible to use TVersity to stream what would ordinarily display on my monitor (no matter what it is I'm doing or running) to my PS3 for display on the connected TV instead?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to create a direct live stream of my PC display (or even just for one game or app that I'm running) and route it through something like TVersity to my PS3/TV.

Magnus said:
Is it possible to use TVersity to stream what would ordinarily display on my monitor (no matter what it is I'm doing or running) to my PS3 for display on the connected TV instead?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to create a direct live stream of my PC display (or even just for one game or app that I'm running) and route it through something like TVersity to my PS3/TV.

there is a program that does this but i am not sure of the name....its most def not tversity though...

edit: remembered the name - displayshare - but seems like the website is down but there are videos on youtube of it in use

pr0cs

Magnus said:

Not that I know of, you want a remote desktop type functionality..

It would be nice but nothing I know of exists like that, there would be lag likely as well.

Can I get a bit of help? I installed Java PS3 MediaServer and I keep getting a DLNA 2006 protocol error... checking up on it now, anyone else here have that error here (PlayStation forums did)?

Regarding streaming content do I have to install TVersity? I keep reading that PS3MS can do everything on the fly.

EDIT: It's not playing any of the VLC content in the YouTube folder...

Top Bottom